The Love of Many will Grow Cold

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sometimes I feel it:

My love for people getting cold. People can sometimes make it difficult to love, to be vulnerable, and to return blessing for insult.

Jesus died so that people in the world would not perish but have everlasting life. He loved even His enemies. When I think on this carefully, my love for others returns.

The Bible says do not return evil for evil but defeat evil by doing good.

On the internet, its a lot easier to be cold and impersonal towards others. I hope that we can remember to let our lights shine even online.

But I wonder if any of you struggle with love growing cold for people? How do you know, and then how do you deal with it?

I remember when I first became a Christian, I could barely contain the love I felt. I realized everyone around me was made in God's image.

I want to keep that spark alive. And love even when its tough.

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sometimes I feel it:

My love for people getting cold. People can sometimes make it difficult to love, to be vulnerable, and to return blessing for insult.

Jesus died so that people in the world would not perish but have everlasting life. He loved even His enemies. When I think on this carefully, my love for others returns.

On the internet, its a lot easier to be cold and impersonal towards others. I hope that we can remember to let our lights shine even online.

But I wonder if any of you struggle with love growing cold for people? How do you know, and then how do you deal with it?

I remember when I first became a Christian, I could barely contain the love I felt. I realized everyone around me was made in God's image.

God's Love is Being perfected in us as we are sanctified by the Truth. As we walk in Christ Jesus our love grows, We naturally Love those who help us such as spouses and family, But as we grow in Christ that love expands to Brotherly Love for those who we see as Brothers and sisters, and then finally Agape Love which is How Christ Loved us. "In that while we were yet enemies and sinners, Christ died for us".

When society begins to collapse, the love the world has will falter, and civility will die out. This I believe is what Jesus was speaking of and what I think we are witnessing in the world right now.

WillTell

Aug 22, 2021
Deep South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sometimes I feel it:

Hi Wynona…. You make several thoughtful points. It truly is impossible NOT to love others when we remember how much love has been shown to us in Christ. Yet all around us every day we hear and read irresponsible, rude remarks by people who should know better, and often we observe terrible, perhaps even criminal behavior that makes some quite a bit more challenging to love.

I guess the easiest thing to do is avoid those people who rub us the wrong way, and I have been guilty of that at times— but Jesus said that if we just love those who love us, what reward do we have? (Matthew 5:46). So avoidance is really not an option. We have a purpose. Once we become Christians, our job every day is to glorify the One who blessed us with salvation—and Jesus tells us exactly how to do it:

Matthew 5:43-48
New King James Version

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, 45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so?

48 Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

What a beautiful reward! To be seen as perfect before our Father…. How can we possibly allow our love to grow cold? Let us never be among the “many” whose love will grow cold, but rather be among those who love like Jesus loves us.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Sometimes I feel it:

@Wynona John 3.16.... :)

Reactions: Wynona

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sometimes I feel it:

Yes, I have the same struggles, we all do. No one is any different.

How do I know? I suppose the Holy Spirit brings it to my attention, that I've been forgetful of others.

For me, the more I remember, meditate on EXACTLY what God has done and is doing in giving His love to - me - and I know about me! The more I remember this, the more I want to be worthy of His gift, the sort of person who fulfills the meaning of His love given to me, by giving it to others.

The more I remember that everyone else has hardship and suffering, and I put myself in their place, I want to alleviate that for them, but there is nothing I can do, only submit myself to God, and pray for them. The desire for their wellbeing, this is love, and endeavoring to serve towards someone's wellbeing, regardless of whatever feelings you have inside, will bring with it feelings of affection and love. And God will of course lead us in what we should do.

Much love!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hi Wynona…. You make several thoughtful points. It truly is impossible NOT to love others when we remember how much love has been shown to us in Christ. Yet all around us every day we hear and read irresponsible, rude remarks by people who should know better, and often we observe terrible, perhaps even criminal behavior that makes some quite a bit more challenging to love.

I guess the easiest thing to do is avoid those people who rub us the wrong way, and I have been guilty of that at times— but Jesus said that if we just love those who love us, what reward do we have? (Matthew 5:46). So avoidance is really not an option. We have a purpose. Once we become Christians, our job every day is to glorify the One who blessed us with salvation—and Jesus tells us exactly how to do it:

Matthew 5:43-48
New King James Version

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, 45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so?

48 Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

What a beautiful reward! To be seen as perfect before our Father…. How can we possibly allow our love to grow cold? Let us never be among the “many” whose love will grow cold, but rather be among those who love like Jesus loves us.
@Heart2Soul I do think if we keep 'looking unto Jesus' (Hebrews 12.2) and remember His dying love that took Him to the Cross for sinners, then this is a way, with daily prayer and the Scriptures, that we can experience the Lord's grace in not letting our own hearts grow cold...

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Heart2Soul I do think if we keep 'looking unto Jesus' (Hebrews 12.2) and remember His dying love that took Him to the Cross for sinners, then this is a way, with daily prayer and the Scriptures, that we can experience the Lord's grace in not letting our own hearts grow cold...
Amen....this is a good Word....almost like it was intended for me to hear today.

Reactions: Wynona and farouk

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Made me think of John the Baptist.
I must decrease so that he can decrease.
Love thy neighbor ...
Love thy neighbor so they receive glory from the love you gave them.
Make them shine, as you shine.
A lifting up, an offering.. look at that star shine, and I helped :)

As I have done unto you, ye should do for one another.
Giving love to feel good about oneself.. is a good thing.
Giving love to make others feel good about them selves... better.
Working together to give God the Glory and at the same time receiving glory.. very good.

For where two or more are gathered, there am I in the midst.

Humbleness..

Jesus said, Peter do you love me?
Peter said, Yes Lord.
Jesus said, Peter, feed my lambs.

Peter!,
Yes Lord,
Do you love me more than these?
Yes Lord,
Feed my sheep.

Give and it shall be given..
Love builds up. Holds up..
I guess I could just copy paste
Charity

just rambling..
Hugs

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Made me think of John the Baptist.
I must decrease so that he can decrease.
Love thy neighbor ...
Love thy neighbor so they receive glory from the love you gave them.
Make them shine, as you shine.
A lifting up, an offering.. look at that star shine, and I helped :)

As I have done unto you, ye should do for one another.
Giving love to feel good about oneself.. is a good thing.
Giving love to make others feel good about them selves... better.
Working together to give God the Glory and at the same time receiving glory.. very good.

For where two or more are gathered, there am I in the midst.

Humbleness..

Jesus said, Peter do you love me?
Peter said, Yes Lord.
Jesus said, Peter, feed my lambs.

Peter!,
Yes Lord,
Do you love me more than these?
Yes Lord,
Feed my sheep.

Give and it shall be given..
Love builds up. Holds up..
I guess I could just copy paste
Charity

just rambling..
Hugs
@Ziggy: Reminds me of 2 Peter 3.18: "Grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ".

It never ceases; and we never stand still....

Reactions: Wynona and Ziggy

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Sometimes I feel it:

Wynona, you reminded me of an old song I used to play long ago. Maybe you've heard it:

Last edited:

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm listening to that song Truman,
and I'm seeing the people singers, musicians, the ones putting this song together.
Then I thought about ALL the songs, and all the people, and all the musicians..
And I realize..
We are not alone.
We're just hidden under his wing.
And there is coming a time
when the whole world will sing.
:)
HUGS

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
Sometimes I feel it:

The scripture you quoted is deeper

Matthew 24:12 "And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold."

The "iniquity", is "lawlessness" of turning away from God's Word. It will multiply because of the apostasy, or falling away from God's Holy Word. The love of family members and friends shall "wax cold" or turn against those within their own family, or friendship because of their refusal to accept Satan, the Antichrist as the true Christ.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Truman the Levite

Ive never heard that song. I like it a lot! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Im really happy with everyone's responses.

I suppose the verse really means that natural affection will grow cold from people doing awful things and breaking laws.

But true love for Christ never has to fade. The Holy Spirit nurtures this love within ourselves. It admonishes us to love our neighbors and be of real practical use to others in need.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Much of today's church has become lukewarm, like the church of Laodicea in the book of Revelations. It just occurred to me that you may have thought I was aiming it at you. Sorry if that happened. From what I've seen, you are the opposite. I try to be inspired to share a song. God has reasons that we may not know about. I was not questioning your walk. Perhaps there's some that you can share it with. The singer/author is a man whose walk with God I've admired and relate to. Plus, my old bass player sang a duet with him, so I have a personal connection. In my view, you are obviously a passionate lover of Jesus! :)

Reactions: amadeus

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Much of today's church has become lukewarm, like the church of Laodicea in the book of Revelations. It just occurred to me that you may have thought I was aiming it at you. Sorry if that happened. From what I've seen, you are the opposite. I try to be inspired to share a song. God has reasons that we may not know about. I was not questioning your walk. Perhaps there's some that you can share it with. The singer/author is a man whose walk with God I've admired and relate to. Plus, my old bass player sang a duet with him, so I have a personal connection. In my view, you are obviously a passionate lover of Jesus! :)
I didn't think you were questioning my walk. But thank you!!

Reactions: Truman

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is a struggle to see past the cold, hard hearts of people and love them. I am trying. People can be so mean that it makes it difficult.
I saw so many last summer. I never seen such cold hatred congregated together in groups.
Frightful even. I was praying and am still that it won't spread.. it is a plague.
And yet undersanding they have been made sick through so many entities and circumstances, whether political or unhumanitarian, educational, etc..
I was praying and loving them all as much as was in me could.
It's a powerstruggle of the heart.
There is a verse about pulling them out of the fire even hating the....
Jde 1:23 And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

I kind of see people angry mean ones, as trapped in a cage, and they are scared and they lash out and bite and snarl.
Because they have been taught to fear.
It's sad really.
It all depends on how you look at the situation.
And how patient and longsuffering we are, with animals trapped in cages.
I just want to free them, hug them, feed them, love them.
Some respond, some don't.
The hope is to gain more than you lose.

just thinking..
Hugs