The Mid Ocean Ridge

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stefcui

Jan 29, 2012
The City
The earth is obviously older than a mere 10,000 years or so...

I agree that the earth was formed in a process; but your assumptions of millions of years are not justified… Please give some evidence for your statements.

The earth does not show long ages; it shows short ages. See the video below for the scientific evidence of a young earth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX9eDTNfQHY

Long ages are only required in order to deny creation and believe in evolution. The sediment layers are not requiring billions of years of time; they could have formed in a several isolated events over 100 or 1000 years. Similar sediment, on a smaller scale, was placed by Mt St Helens volcano. We know that the earth went through a stage of being extremely volcanic; in which today it is not. The volcano that produced the Siberian Traps is believed to have lasted for 1 million years! This 1 million year volcano theory is absurd. Did the Siberian and Deccan Traps form in 1 year, or 10 years, or 100 years? This is possible. This volcano produced enough lava to cover the entire North America in 100 feet of lava. It was an extreme period of volcanic activity that built the continents.

Most of the Continents are made out of Granite, which cools slower than Basalt. Basalt is what the ocean floor is made of… it is volcanic rock which was formed under water. The Siberian Traps are also made of Basalt. There may have been a time when Russia was under water… but underneath the Basalt are coal, oil and gas deposits, placed there from decaying vegetation. So the continents were rising and falling - above the ocean and beneath the ocean. This was during the formation days of creation. This did not need to take billions of years; but it is also unlikely that it took one or two 24 hour days. What is our only other scriptural possibility? 1000 years per day. Does this fit the required period for these formative processes? Yes.

Steve

I had incredibly frightening nightmares all the time I was at home, and had so many personal problems as a youngster that I have a hard time describing it. My older brother was a criminal who spent time in jail. My oldest sister ran away from home in her teens. One of my younger sisters got pregnant at 15 (as did her daughter) and she turned into a hopeless drug addict. My youngest brother, at the age of 22 died in a freak accident leaving behind a widow and two infants. As you can imagine It was utter chaos...

That is amazing. I hope you find friendship and fellowship here. I have a similarly odd past. Thank God for His grace to keep us safe.

Steve

Secondhand Lion

Jan 30, 2012
People's Republic of Maryland
Haven't you read 1 John 3:8 that the devil sinned from the beginning? or from our Lord Jesus about the kingdom being prepared since the foundation... of the world per Matt.25? or Hebrews 2 of how Satan was given the power of death?

Using supposition that one says God lied by refusing your view of when death was assigned doesn't work. Stick to God's Word as written and you might learn just when it was assigned to the devil.

Well, 1 John 3:8 declares sin began with the devil in the beginning, which makes the rest of your argument on shaky ground.

Veteran, I have indeed read 1 John 3:8. And I actually read verses around it also. I have also read Hebrews 2....and verses around it. I have read Matthew 25....yes....yes....and verses around it.

I am glad you want to focus on the simplicity of the scriptures, so many times I run into people who want to make something appear in scripture that just plainly is not there.

Let's start with the most obviously simple. 1 John 3:8 is.....well....its in 1 John not in Genesis 1:1.5 (pretty simple). I am all for comparing scripture with scripture...but another very simple idea is that.....well....there is no scripture between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2....it kinda just runs straight from one to the other.

I am a simple man, I do not hide from it nor try to convince anyone that I am anything other than simple. So I have a few more questions for you:

1. Where was the "beginning" that John referred to? Could it just be as simple as what it says in verse 4? Wasn't John just simply referring to the beginning of the law? Wasn't he building a case that sin is the transgression of the law? Where does he mention creation? Isn't the only reference to a "beginning"....the beginning of the law?

2. Is it not written that the wages of sin is death? It is very simple and plain. God said it...I believe it, period. If the fossil record would indicate that death did come before sin....then....well....God did lie because He plainly said it. Is it not written that "in the day you eat it you will surely die"? When was the first death if not there? I do not understand where you get a different idea of "when death occurred". (Steve, I am going with a traditional understanding for now, not trying to pick another fight :wacko: )

3. Could Isaiah 45:18 be just simply what it says? Isn't He delineating which "God" is addressing them? And isn't He just simply referring to the fact that He didn't make earth "waste space" by qualifying it with "I formed it to be inhabited"? As a side note...I couldn't help but chuckle when reading the first part of verse 19. While you are claiming that God has some sort of "hidden message" for us in 18 He plainly tells us in 19...well...."I don't speak in secret". If God wanted us to know what happened in Genesis 1:1.5, He wouldn't hide it.

4. I also read other parts of the bible (if you can believe it) and one that comes to mind during these discussions is Hebrews 11:3. There are some verses that can stand alone in the bible, and others need the context around them. Hebrews 11:3 is one that can be plucked straight from scripture and still make sense, but please read the other verses around it just to make sure. It is the great skipped over verse the the "Great hall of faith", but carries no less significance than all the examples of faith that get the attention. These things are to be "understood through faith" and we are constantly trying to figure out in these conversations "what the invisible things are by the visible". We are backing into it. Boggles the mind when you really think about it. We are trying to determine the things not seen....by what we can see....well....they are still invisible and to be accepted by faith.

4. Your premise is the Gap Theory is only that a undetermined amount of time came in between 1:1,2. Which at its face value is true. I have never run into anyone however that stops there, which is why the "common misunderstandings" about the Gap theory. The problem is, in practice, everyone ultimately inserts something into that extra time that they have created (ie evolution, Jesus and satan brothers). Can you really pretend that the Gap theory is "only" an "undetermined time period"? What is your purpose in needing that time? What are you asserting happened in that time? Why is it so important to you that the extra time is there?

5. Genesis 1 is a string of factual statements. It starts with "In the beginning God". Notice that God didn't set out to prove to anyone that He exists....He just simply stated it. The rest of Genesis 1 should be taken that way also in my opinion. He didn't set out to prove to anyone what He did during creation, He just stated it. According to Hebrews 11:3...shouldn't we just accept these factual statements by faith? Should we be careful what we add to them? Wouldn't God have told us....if He really wanted us to know for sure?

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
I never assumed millions of years. I think maybe you got the millions/billions from the forming of an embryo I was talking about.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Veteran, I have indeed read 1 John 3:8. And I actually read verses around it also. I have also read Hebrews 2....and verses around it. I have read Matthew 25....yes....yes....and verses around it.

I am glad you want to focus on the simplicity of the scriptures, so many times I run into people who want to make something appear in scripture that just plainly is not there.

Let's start with the most obviously simple. 1 John 3:8 is.....well....its in 1 John not in Genesis 1:1.5 (pretty simple). I am all for comparing scripture with scripture...but another very simple idea is that.....well....there is no scripture between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2....it kinda just runs straight from one to the other.

No, there isn't a Scripture in between Gen.1:1 and Gen.1:2 that tells us of an event of God's destruction upon a pre-existing earth. But there are... Scripture references later which directly point back to that Gen.1:2 conditon of the earth with flood waters upon it. It's in Jeremiah 4:23-28, and Isaiah 45:18 where God said He did not... create the earth "without form" (same Hebrew word 'tohuw' translated as "in vain" in the Isa.45:18 verse).

I am a simple man, I do not hide from it nor try to convince anyone that I am anything other than simple. So I have a few more questions for you:

1. Where was the "beginning" that John referred to? Could it just be as simple as what it says in verse 4? Wasn't John just simply referring to the beginning of the law? Wasn't he building a case that sin is the transgression of the law? Where does he mention creation? Isn't the only reference to a "beginning"....the beginning of the law?

Well, 1 John 3:4 is not 1 John 3:8. They contain different assertions...

I Jn 3:4
4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
(KJV)

I Jn 3:8
8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil.
(KJV)

Should we just stop reading after those phrases in blue? or keep going?

Both verses understood together is simply how the devil sinned from the beginning in transgressing the law, and for this reason Christ Jesus was sent to destroy his works, and how alll those who sin (love to sin) follow the devil. It's pointing back to Satan being the very first one that intentionally sinned against God, and that's why John reveals those coming later who sin are of the devil, i.e., of the first sinner, one could say.

2. Is it not written that the wages of sin is death? It is very simple and plain. God said it...I believe it, period. If the fossil record would indicate that death did come before sin....then....well....God did lie because He plainly said it. Is it not written that "in the day you eat it you will surely die"? When was the first death if not there? I do not understand where you get a different idea of "when death occurred".

Yet we know the devil sinned first. And did you know he and his angels have already been judged, and sentenced to perish in the "lake of fire"? (Matt.25:41) In Isaiah 30:31-33, who do you think God is really talking about there? While reading that, we have to remember that no... flesh born man has been judged and sentenced to perish in the "lake of fire" yet, not until after Christ's future thousand years reign per Rev.20.

That's when... the concept of death began, when God first judged and sentenced the devil and his angels to perish in the "lake of fire". This is even why one of Satan's titles is "Death" capitalized in the KJV per Rev.6:8. It's because Satan was assigned the power of death, since he sinned first...

Heb 2:14-15
14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, He also Himself likewise took part of the same; that through death He might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;
15 And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.
(KJV)

About God's warning to Adam, that in the 'day' he sinned he would die. A day to God is how long per the 2 Pet.3:8 Scripture? As a thousand years. Did you notice Adam didn't quite live to a thousand years? Methuselah lived the oldest (969 years). Even he didn't make it a thousand years.

3. Could Isaiah 45:18 be just simply what it says? Isn't He delineating which "God" is addressing them? And isn't He just simply referring to the fact that He didn't make earth "waste space" by qualifying it with "I formed it to be inhabited"? As a side note...I couldn't help but chuckle when reading the first part of verse 19. While you are claiming that God has some sort of "hidden message" for us in 18 He plainly tells us in 19...well...."I don't speak in secret". If God wanted us to know what happened in Genesis 1:1.5, He wouldn't hide it.

Oh... you're so close. The Hebrew word 'tohuw' ("without form") in Gen.1:2 is the same Hebrew word 'tohuw' ("in vain") per Isaiah 45:18. And God's declaration that the way He created the earth was to be inhabited (lived upon) is not the type of Hebrew description of "without form" in the good ole' KJV Bible (which I use). Instead, it's the idea of a wasted condition. A word study on that Hebrew word 'tohuw' how translated elsewhere in the KJV Bible reveals a conditiion of something or someone originally in a good state having gone bad, becoming worthless, a vanity.

As for Isa.45:19, that's especially His pointing back to what He declared in verse 18, that He did NOT create the earth 'tohuw'. Have to remember, the original reading is in Hebrew, not English. He just told you He didn't create the earth "without form" (tohuw) there. So He just... revealed something very deep, and wants us to note it. Not hiding it at all. Nor did He hide it in the Jer.4:23-28 Scripture, if you know how to interpret it per the rest of God's Word. Nor did Apostles Paul or Peter hide it. There is a difference between God giving us a hint about something, vs. some idea of trying to hide a Truth...

Isa 42:8-9
8 I am the LORD: That is My name: and My glory will I not give to another, neither My praise to graven images.
9 Behold, the former things are come to pass, and new things do I declare: before they spring forth I tell you of them.
(KJV)

If God tells us of "new things", "before they spring forth", then have you... understood all things that are to come to pass for our future? If so, then you must become everyone's teacher as God's direct representative. And if not, then how is the simplicity of God's Word as written really meant? I'll tell you so you won't be guessing. Understanding in His Word of what... He has already written can only be properly understood through Him and His Son by The Holy Spirit as we study to show ourselves approved of Him.

4. I also read other parts of the bible (if you can believe it) and one that comes to mind during these discussions is Hebrews 11:3. There are some verses that can stand alone in the bible, and others need the context around them. Hebrews 11:3 is one that can be plucked straight from scripture and still make sense, but please read the other verses around it just to make sure. It is the great skipped over verse the the "Great hall of faith", but carries no less significance than all the examples of faith that get the attention. These things are to be "understood through faith" and we are constantly trying to figure out in these conversations "what the invisible things are by the visible". We are backing into it. Boggles the mind when you really think about it. We are trying to determine the things not seen....by what we can see....well....they are still invisible and to be accepted by faith.

I accept what God's Word states as written, by that same Faith as those written of in Hebrews 11. Grasping about the future new heavens and a new earth can also be mind-boggling, yet God told us about it in His Word, even with many detailed descriptions. If He gave us to understand that, then why do some disregard that He also showed us in His Word what came to pass before? Afterall, isn't that what the whole creation account of Genesis is about, past events? He did limit our scope of those views though, but they're aren't near as limitied in scope as many brethren tend to think.

4. Your premise is the Gap Theory is only that a undetermined amount of time came in between 1:1,2. Which at its face value is true. I have never run into anyone however that stops there, which is why the "common misunderstandings" about the Gap theory. The problem is, in practice, everyone ultimately inserts something into that extra time that they have created (ie evolution, Jesus and satan brothers). Can you really pretend that the Gap theory is "only" an "undetermined time period"? What is your purpose in needing that time? What are you asserting happened in that time? Why is it so important to you that the extra time is there?

Yet in my study in the Bible Study Forum section called 'Genesis Time Gap', I did not just stop at Gen.1:2. And I am definitely... not inserting any false idea into it, nor evolution theory! I stick to Genesis 'as written'. But trying to limit ourselves by not studying relevant Bible Scripture about it in other Books of God's Word is like trying to remove those parts of God's Word as if they never existed. That I cannot do, and hope you don't either.

That undeterminable amount of time between the Gen.1:1 and Gen.1:2 verses is there, and you covered it by the Isaiah 45:18 Scripture for one, simply because God said... He did not create... the earth "without form" (tohuw). That is a direct type statement directly pointing back to Gen.1, in simplicity. So how is it that some folks continually search out ways to steer around that pointer, instead of accepting what He said there in simplicity?

Instead of having created the earth "without form", He said He created it to be inhabited, which is the direct opposite... idea of "without form, and void". That's a very simple verse to understand pointing back to Gen.1:2. And with the Jer.4 example, He gives us a little more of just 'how'... He meant that with a time of destruction and shaking upon the earth (even with the Jer.4:27-28 verses pointing to the earth being put in a state of corruption like Paul taught in Rom.8).

So if God did not create the earth "without form" (tohuw) like He said, but that's the condition Gen.1:2 states, then it doesn't take a whole lot of common sense to figure out that Gen.1:2 is not about the time when He first created the earth, but a condition of the earth that happened afterwards. And by following the state of those 'waters' there, the dry land appears only after He moves those waters around upon it, not showing creation of earth matter there either. But the traditional interpretation instead inserts... the idea there in Gen.1:9 that those waters somehow involved the creation of the earth that actually was already underneath, first created back at Gen.1:1, like He said, "In the beginning...".

5. Genesis 1 is a string of factual statements. It starts with "In the beginning God". Notice that God didn't set out to prove to anyone that He exists....He just simply stated it. The rest of Genesis 1 should be taken that way also in my opinion. He didn't set out to prove to anyone what He did during creation, He just stated it. According to Hebrews 11:3...shouldn't we just accept these factual statements by faith? Should we be careful what we add to them? Wouldn't God have told us....if He really wanted us to know for sure?

Yeah, starts with what? "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." That statement is emphatic in the Hebrew of Genesis 1:1. If the rest of Genesis 1 is taken that way, then inserting the idea that God was creating earth matter again after that should not happen. But that's exactly what the traditional interpretation does, thinking the dry land appearing means creation of earth matter when no such direct type statement exists there. And then men's theories from science are piled high on top of that false tower of earth matter created with those waters simply being moved to reveal the dry land already underneath.

Well, God did tell us, in more ways than one.

Gen 1:1-10
1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
6 And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.
8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.
9 And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.
10 And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.
(KJV)

Same waters He gathered to make the dry land appear, are the same waters back at Gen.1:2.

Ps 104:5-6
5 Who laid the foundations of the earth, that it should not be removed for ever.
6 Thou coveredst it with the deep as with a garment: the waters stood above the mountains.
(KJV)

Stefcui

Jan 29, 2012
The City
Yet in my study in the Bible Study Forum section called 'Genesis Time Gap'...

Veteran,

Ironically, you complained about ‘HeRoseFromTheDead’ for not sticking to the subject of the thread you had posted; yet you have not once stayed with the subject of the thread here. On every thread you SPAM the subject and push your denomination’s doctrine onto people.

Don’t you think we have heard enough about your Gap teaching or your 10 tribe teaching? Does every single subject need to go back to this? Give us all a break!

Steve

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the problem with providing evidence for an old earth is when it is not accepted by people who already have a belief about creation and try to work backwards to prove it. Scientists have all accepted the fossil records and geological evidence for an old Earth - 4.5 billion years, or so. The Scientific process is rigorous! Real applications have emerged based on evolutionary theories. I would say that the evidence for evolution is staggering.

I have been watching youtube clips of creation literalists like Ham and Hovind - wow! I can see why scientist find them maddening to deal with. Still not sure why it is so important to hold to a literal view of the Creation story in Genesis

Secondhand Lion

Jan 30, 2012
Veteran, I am sorry, but I can not agree with you. Thank you for sharing your viewpoints (and we could discuss the bible of it all day). I will stick with what the Lord has given me for now. This is not to say that He will not change my mind someday, but I simply can not allow what I see as Scriptural "gymnastics" to steer my thoughts. I would still be interested in a straight forward answer on why the time needs to be there from your perspective (i know you said it was not evolution). I know what I think it is, but I will not speculate about you or pretend to know who you are.

Steve,

Where do you stand on it being one land mass at first and separating later? Do you see these ridges as being a part of that answer in any way? Again, I know what I think as far as scripture goes but am interested in your perspective

Stefcui

Jan 29, 2012
The City
Where do you stand on it being one land mass at first and separating later? Do you see these ridges as being a part of that answer in any way?

The land masses (continents) were clearly together as far as I am concerned. According to Aspens friends, the evolutionary scientists, the continents were formed 4.5 billion years ago… but 200 million years ago there was no Atlantic Ocean and no Indian Ocean. These oceans developed only then, as the lands were locked into a super-continent called Pangaea. (Aspen mocks creationist; yet he applauds evolutionists. God must be so proud of that Judas son of his...)

In the middle of the Atlantic and Indian Oceans are the tectonic plate boundaries of the Mid Ocean Ridge. The Mid Ocean Ridge is responsible for continents spreading. Today the plates of the MOR are called Divergent Plates. There are Divergent plates, Convergent plates, and Transformation plates. Where the MOR is located it is also called a “Spreading Centre”. The Mid Ocean Ridge started as an earthquake that had split the earth into 3 parts. This earthquake line is still seen in Iceland, as the Mid Atlantic Ridge (MAR) cuts right through Iceland. Iceland is in fact the only above land section of the MOR.

The earth had erupted with an intense explosion (I think at the time of the flood) that caused an earthquake to travel right around the earth, and the lava spilling out from this earthquake developed into the mountain range called the MOR. The spreading of the ocean floor because of the uplift of the MOR mountain range caused the continent plates to separate.

http://en.wikipedia....-Atlantic_Ridge

http://en.wikipedia....Mid-ocean_ridge

Probably the best explanation that explains these events from a bible perspective comes from scientist, Walt Brown. Walt explains the Hydroplate theory (6 minute video blow). I don’t agree with all of Walt Browns views, but he does explain the flood account and the MOR in great detail when the fountains of the great deep had bust open at the time of the flood.

“on that day all the fountains of the great deep burst open and the floodgates of the heavens were opened.” (Genesis 7:11).

Steve

Stefcui

Jan 29, 2012
The City
Aspen, I'm not saying you are a Judas Iscariot, by no means... I am commenting about your agreement with evolution or scientists over and above the children of God. Some of Ken Ham's material I disagree with, and also Kent Hovind's, but I think that the balance of science and faith tips in their favour. Kent Hovind is in prison at the moment for tax evasion… he was a setup because of his Christian dinosaur museum, and the challenge he was giving to conventional science.

To believe in the scientist version of evolution requires faith... a lot more than what Christianity requires. The dating of uranium-lead is contradicted by helium dating. Polonium halos contradict long ages. The scientists do not have answers for these contradictions; you just have to have faith. Christian scientists are fighting back with more and more evidence every day, and we should be supporting them.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Aspen, I'm not saying you are a Judas Iscariot, by no means... I am commenting about your agreement with evolution or scientists over and above the children of God. Some of Ken Ham's material I disagree with, and also Kent Hovind's, but I think that the balance of science and faith tips in their favour. Kent Hovind is in prison at the moment for tax evasion… he was a setup because of his Christian dinosaur museum, and the challenge he was giving to conventional science.

To believe in the scientist version of evolution requires faith... a lot more than what Christianity requires. The dating of uranium-lead is contradicted by helium dating. Polonium halos contradict long ages. The scientists do not have answers for these contradictions; you just have to have faith. Christian scientists are fighting back with more and more evidence every day, and we should be supporting them.

All truth is God's truth. I see no conflict between medicine and the Bible or science and the Bible. I also do not see battles and wars between ideologies when there does not need to be conflict. Once again, scientists are in agreement on the theory of evolution - and no, it is not a conspiracy! The evidence for evolution is overwhelming - the best part about it is that because it is a theory it can continue to grow with new information and advancement in our understanding of the universe. This should not be threatening to Christians. Unfortunately, Christians have a long history of feeling threatened when scientists make new discoveries - autopsies, the Earth not being the center of the universe, the discovery of germs, natural explanations for natural disasters - the list is long. It really doesn't have to be this way! God is not going to punish us for learning about how he created the physical world. There is no mandate from God that includes interpreting the creation story literally. There is no mandate from God that we even have to have an opinion on His method for creation. Why would God create us curious people and then punish us for following our curiosity? Why would God fool us with dinosaur bones and evidence for an old earth if He wants to be in relationship with us? God is not trying to zap us into Hell - He loves us!

Stefcui

Jan 29, 2012
The City
The evidence for evolution is overwhelming...

You believe science offers an abundance of evidence; I believe science offers an abundance of lies. There are always conflicts when man calls God a liar. Either God created the world, or he did not. If evolution was responsible for creation, than God is not the creator, and the bible is a lie.

The evidence put forward by the RATE team (Radioisotopes and the Age of the Earth) is put forward by Christians who are also scientists. You are calling them all liars too by stating that their research is of no value, because the evolutionists have your confidence.

If you want to make such bold statements, why do you not offer evidence to go with it? It is one thing to make these great big statements that “science has proven evolution”… it’s another thing to offer evidence. This is a forum where that evidence should be put forward if you are going to make such statements on a Christian forum.

If you cannot offer evidence for such a provocative statement; then please do not make such an insult to our faith. You are bound to upset Christians when you deny the fundamental feature that we believe in; that our God is our father and creator.

“Tell me, if you know it all!” ​​​​​​​

“In what direction does light reside, and darkness, where is its place, ​​​​​​​that you may take them to their borders and perceive the pathways to their homes? ​​​​​​You know, for you were born before them; and the number of your days is great!” (Job 38:18-21)

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You believe science offers an abundance of evidence; I believe science offers an abundance of lies. There are always conflicts when man calls God a liar. Either God created the world, or he did not. If evolution was responsible for creation, than God is not the creator, and the bible is a lie.

The evidence put forward by the RATE team (Radioisotopes and the Age of the Earth) is put forward by Christians who are also scientists. You are calling them all liars too by stating that their research is of no value, because the evolutionists have your confidence.

If you want to make such bold statements, why do you not offer evidence to go with it? It is one thing to make these great big statements that “science has proven evolution”… it’s another thing to offer evidence. This is a forum where that evidence should be put forward if you are going to make such statements on a Christian forum.

If you cannot offer evidence for such a provocative statement; then please do not make such an insult to our faith. You are bound to upset Christians when you deny the fundamental feature that we believe in; that our God is our father and creator.

“Tell me, if you know it all!” ​​​​​​​

“In what direction does light reside, and darkness, where is its place, ​​​​​​​that you may take them to their borders and perceive the pathways to their homes? ​​​​​​You know, for you were born before them; and the number of your days is great!” (Job 38:18-21)

You are drawing battle lines that do not need to be drawn. Scientists are looking for truth. They are not claiming that they have all the answers - that is why they continue to search. It is my opinion that you are interpreting the Creation Story incorrectly. Instead of focusing on the important pieces of the story like original sin and human nature, you are reducing the story to a literal, mechanical understanding of how God created the Earth. Here's the thing - I am not going to accept your anger or lines in the sand. Like I said before - there is no requirement for Christians to believe one way or another about the creation of the world. I believe you may be guilty of making it more difficult for people to live a simple Christian life by adding extra requirements to salvation. I am not calling anyone a liar - I really could careless about how God choose to create the world - seriously! It has nothing to do with my primary purpose, which is to love. I am not a scientist. I am also no afraid to be wrong - if I am God and I will have a good laugh over it someday!

Also, why should I provide evidence you do not accept? Seems silly to me. All I know is that science relies on theories that have been tested repeatedly. If the theories cannot be tested - they are not considered scientific.

Finally, my mind is flexible enough to accept parts of evolution and question others - it is not all or nothing! Same with with my faith - my salvation is in Jesus, not in my opinion about the Bible. Just like the Sabbath, the Bible was created for us - not us for the Bible. If the Bible and my opinion about it becomes a source of pride it is being used incorrectly. God's Word should point to God not my ego. It is to assist in my justification and sanctification and as a source of encouragement, not to beat people over the head with or to be used as a smug source of pride so I can be condescending to my neighbor or try to mold their theology into my own.

The slippery slope is a myth.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Veteran, I am sorry, but I can not agree with you. Thank you for sharing your viewpoints (and we could discuss the bible of it all day). I will stick with what the Lord has given me for now. This is not to say that He will not change my mind someday, but I simply can not allow what I see as Scriptural "gymnastics" to steer my thoughts. I would still be interested in a straight forward answer on why the time needs to be there from your perspective (i know you said it was not evolution). I know what I think it is, but I will not speculate about you or pretend to know who you are.

Steve,

Where do you stand on it being one land mass at first and separating later? Do you see these ridges as being a part of that answer in any way? Again, I know what I think as far as scripture goes but am interested in your perspective

No problem if you don't agree with it. As for why I do agree with it is not from some ulterior motive. It's because of how the Scripture is written why I believe it, along with revelations God gives in His Word about Satan's first rebellion, and the Biblical subject of a major previous destruction upon the earth.

God's Word points to His having created the heavens and the earth perfect at the beginning. And then something happened that caused Him to destroy the order off the earth, which is pointing to the time of Satan's first rebellion against Him, drawing a third of the angels into rebellioin along with him. And then God placed the earth in a state of vanity because of that event (Rom.8; Jer.4), and brought this present time to work His Salvation Plan. And then in final, God is going to bring back His perfect earth, with no more seas, no more death, no more sin, His River of the waters of life and tree of life bearing fruits year-round, etc. And He will dwell on that perfect earth with His children for the Eternity.

Reactions: tomwebster

Secondhand Lion

Jan 30, 2012
Steve, thanks for starting this thread and thanks for the information on where to learn more. This is the kind of thing I was hoping to find on these forums. I know nothing about this stuff but always find it extremely interesting. Often times it leads to a world of pondering as to how God actually created it all and how it may all fit together, and I do not think there is anything wrong with that. I think I am founded well enough in the word of God to discern what to throw out and what to keep from the links you posted. (I will also reject billions of years for example) You have given me enough stuff to look over for about....oh I'd say....about a lifetime for a man of my limited intelligence :D

I think its fun to speculate as to how God may have done it all, as long as it does not replace what is known in the bible, or much more importantly, as long as the bible does not get put through the filter of "other knowledge". Hold fast to what you have heard in the bible first, please do not translate the bible according to the findings of man. I am trying desperately to not get involved in the other side conversation going on here, but please....please fully consider the ramifications of what is being suggested if God did it all through evolution (I completely reject evolution also). You can only have your true faith in one thing or the other. God draws many many lines in the sand, and tells us that we can only have our faith in one thing or the other. Science requires faith, only they use words like postulate, theorize, and hypothesize for faith....but they are requiring all of your faith also. Choose who you will believe, there are some things you just simply can not sit on the fence about. That being said, I hope aspen to be saying (not to put words in her/his mouth) that science certainly has its place....and a discerning christian can certainly find some value in science. But I think we can agree that we can not take everything science finds as being as good or trustworthy as we can with God's word. (I will always side with the bible)

Stefcui

Jan 29, 2012
The City
All I know is that science relies on theories that have been tested repeatedly. If the theories cannot be tested - they are not considered scientific.

If this was true, Aspen, I would concede to your opinion of evolution.

Science has many things that are tested through duplication; while there are many other things that cannot be tested. They are merely a hypothesis that is agreed upon by consensus.

…The earth’s core is made up of solid Iron and Nickel… How do we know that? Has this been tested in the lab or field? No. This is conjecture agreed upon by a “translation” of the data of how fast earthquakes appear to travel. This “scientifically proven test” (joke) is based on a very shady translation of unrelated data.

Man has only drilled about 14 kilometres into the earth; we cannot go further because the heat and pressure destroys the drills. We have found water down at 14 kilometres, which is “not meant to be there”. With such a meagre level of testing, where we were already wrong about water; how can we assume to know what is 6000 kilometres down into the earth? This is the faith you place in our scientists.

The more you look into science, this is exactly the method used for making their “tried and tested” statements… You need a great deal of faith to accept them. Meanwhile you have abandoned the simple understanding of Genesis simply because these evil men make up lies to harmonise with other lies… This must also bring forth tears in heaven.

We both know there is no evidence for evolution; it is speculation using dodgy science that requires even more faith. This is why evolution is not science; it is a belief (a Faith). This is a belief that denies the existence of God. This is not a place that such dodgy beliefs contrary to God’s word should be parroted; least of all from you.

“Condescending to my neighbor”; “mold their theology”; “my ego”; “lines in the sand”… really?

God Bless
Steve

Choose who you will believe, there are some things you just simply can not sit on the fence about.

Thank you brother. I love the subject of discovery if it is not used to bolster evil ideas and agendas. God wants us to discover and know, and our opinions of these discoveries speak about our character in Christ.

God Bless
Steve

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Secondhandlion has made a great point. This is a thread about Creationism and should not be turned into a thread about why evolution is wrong. There is a lot to learn from the creation scientists out there - like SHL said, it is enough information to study for a lifetime. So let's get back on track!

For the record, 80% of me does not care or feel obligated to know how God created the world. The other 20 percent sees evolution as a valid theory - not necessarily fact, but I believe scientists are on the right track. Steve is correct that scientists do extrapolate using educated guesses - sometimes they go too far.

I realize now that I jumped at the OP because instead of simply inviting people to learn about creation science it was set up as a dialectic - if you do not believe the information presented, you are making a mockery out of the Bible and God. It begs a reaction. If the theories put forth by creation scientists is true, I think it should stand on it's own - just my opinion.

So, go forth and teach us about creationism!

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This thread is blowing up! I watched the Origins videos, if you click on it near the end there is part 2. Great stuff! I would recommend them to anyone.

Stefcui

Jan 29, 2012
The City
So, go forth and teach us about creationism!

You're funny! :p

Thanks
Steve

This thread is blowing up! I watched the Origins videos, if you click on it near the end there is part 2. Great stuff! I would recommend them to anyone.

I really enjoy them too. These guys are not perfect... they do not have all the answers perfectly, some things I disagree with, but not much. I don't hold to their views on the Grand Canyon or the 24 day creation, but so what. I am pleased we have such gifted men standing up for creation and defending our faith in our creator.

God Bless
Steve