The Non-Canon Book of Enoch

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Harold

Nov 11, 2022
Canada
jesus-saves-all.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I’m against the idea of a “hidden truth” or “secret salvation” Salvation is obvious, believe in Jesus Christ with faith alone to be permanently. Thus, everyone will become permanent believers in Christ and all will be saved. There’s no “great mystery” when it comes to being saved.

Ephesians 1:10 As a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in Him, things in heaven and things on earth.

John 1:29 “The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!”

Thus, I rebuke anyone who tries to add unnecessary contradictory material to the Bible.

Disclaimer: I believe that the 66 books of the protestant canon of the Bible are the real inspired Word of God. There exists other material, like Apocrypha, which appears in catholic canon for instance, which may or may not be inspired. I have no idea of knowing whether they are real or fake. As such, I recommend all who read this post keep that in mind.

I was talking with a Christian Universalist friend, and remembered I was having a Bible study session with my sister while she was going through Genesis

First, there’s the Nephilim. They could be fallen angels who breed with women. They could be simply giants, or someone 6 foot, or legends, heroes, mighty people in general. A lot of theories there.

That first point though, a lot of people who argue for it mention Enoch

Genesis 5:21-24

21 When Enoch had lived 65 years, he became the father of Methuselah. 22 After he became the father of Methuselah, Enoch walked faithfully with God 300 years and had other sons and daughters. 23 Altogether, Enoch lived a total of 365 years. 24 Enoch walked faithfully with God; then he was no more, because God took him away.

Specifically, the non-canon “Book of Enoch”. Some say it appeared in the Dead Sea Scrolls and Ethiopian Bible, 1 500 years ago. I don’t know if it’s inspired or not, but figured I’d go through it to see some Universal Salvation material in it for curiosity’s sake.

Personally, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with reading material that could be wrong. Surely, Christians can read through the Qu’ran to rebuke Muslims in their false belief in denying Christ as God.

The Noble Quran - Quran.com

Here’s a view that combines Universal Reconciliation, Preterism and the Book of Enoch

Enoch Apocalyptic – Preterist Archives

Colin Brown

“a. If aion means duration of the world, and the plural occurs, the idea is obvious that eternity embraces a succession or recurrence of aeons (cf. Eccl. 1:9-10 though here the aeons are periods of the world, and the biblical concept of creation, and hence of the uniqueness of this aeon, ruled out the idea of an unending series).

Note the “ruled out the idea of an unending series” which confirms that olam aionios means aion meaning aeon (like an eon) which is a period of time.

It’s interesting thinking about the process on which books in the Bible are “canon” and which are “non-canon”. Maybe Martin Luther would have wanted the Book of James to be “non-canon” in a sense, since he thought it contradicted “faith alone” salvation. I get a lot of arguments from works salvations about it, but I think there’s no contradiction. Faith is the seed that leads to salvation, it’s faith alone, and then as soon as a person is saved, they are permanently saved. And then when the Holy Spirit goes into them, then they are truly capable of producing good works, the fruit after salvation.

Did Martin Luther Really Want James Taken Out of the Bible?

An online version of it

The Book of Enoch – Read online or download the Book of Enoch PDF, EPUB or .MOBI (Kindle)

And you have this person who posted Enoch Universalism stuff on these two sites. PDFs of all the mentions of Aeon.

the use of Aiôn in the apocryphal Book of Enoch

the use of Aiôn in the apocryphal Book of Enoch

Of course, it can be just Jewish Mysticism, like how Judaism can have mentions of Aeon even though Judaism is false because they do not recognize Jesus as Savior, as God. So… it’s interesting to see that the Jewish people recognized the “aeon” did not mean forever, but rather a temporary span of time.

I mention this to rebuke ECTers who use the Book of Enoch to promote their false belief of Forever Conscious Torment. The truth is Christian Universalism, everyone will be saved, and this truth is plainly written in the canon 66 Bible books. You don’t need to read Apocryphal writings to find that out.

The truth of Christian Universalism is already plainly written all throughout the canon Book of Genesis, where Enoch appears.

Genesis 12:3 In you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.

Genesis 15:6 And he believed the Lord, and he counted it to him as righteousness.

Genesis 18:17-18 …and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him

Genesis 22:18 All nations on earth will be blessed through Abraham’s offspring.

Genesis 26:4 And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed

Genesis 28:14 And thy seed shall be as the dust of the earth, and thou shalt spread abroad to the west, and to the east, and to the north, and to the south: and in thee and in thy seed shall all the families of the earth be blessed.

One good way to know if something is canon or non-canon if it’s quoted from the Old Testament to the New Testament.

Some point to Jude 1:14

14 Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about them: “See, the Lord is coming with thousands upon thousands of his holy ones 15 to judge everyone, and to convict all of them of all the ungodly acts they have committed in their ungodliness, and of all the defiant words ungodly sinners have spoken against him.”

However, anyone can mention a name and then someone makes a book based on that name. For instance, someone could make a false book titled the “Gospel of Satan” because the name Satan appears in the Bible, just replace that name with a name of a person in the Bible.

As well, this reference from Jude could also just be a reference to the Genesis 5:21-24, as a reference to the Adam lineage.

End Disclaimer: Again, I really don’t know if the Book of Enoch is true or not, I just thought this interesting piece of speculation/theorizing would be useful to share for those who have read it as well. But hey, when we’re all in Heaven, New Jerusalem together, we can go ask Enoch himself whether or not he wrote this book! Or better yet, the Lord Himself what parts, if any at all, are inspired!

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
One good way to know if something is canon or non-canon if it’s quoted from the Old Testament to the New Testament.

A better way is to accept that the bible is the word of God and that other books are not.

Those nearer the time had the knowledge to judge these matters, we don't need to second guess there judgement.

Reactions: Harold

whitemorning

Nov 18, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A very good book. Now nobody writes such things. It's simple buy letter of recommendation People get used to simple things too quickly, which changes their consciousness. Therefore, you need to have faith in your business and go to church