The parable of the Good Samaritan

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thinking about the parable of the Samaritan. Is money really the currency? Is that really the point?
No, you’re right, money isn’t the point. i mean, when we’re learning righteousness and hearing God faintly and muffled by our flesh, in nudges by the Spirit, absolutely it can speak to helping with money, if you have it, to care for another human being at least as much as you care for and tend to your own interest. That IS what righteousness is, despite the shrieks of religious men to the contrary. If it were about money, where would that leave a man who was poor as far as mammon goes, who happened upon a hurt human being? Can you only do the right thing if you have money? Of course not. In fact, a man with no money would not be able to pay for a room and care and might take the hurt man to his OWN home to nurse him back to health, which is MORE effort than handing money to someone else to do it. Yet religious and selfjustifying men would say to do good for a hurt man because your heart cannot walk by him is filthy rags! So they are taking the verse about rags, that talks about holiness and, not understanding it, they snarl at and disdain the good work, doing away with righteousness and calling righteousness nothing. But make no mistake about it, a righteous man DOES what it is right to do to other human beings.

But that is the letter and it’s good and it trains us in righteousness until we are ready to bear more, at which time, God gives us more and we start to see the spirit of the words too, and we have been seeing you have begun seeing the spirit of the words because you are ready. That’s why I seek out your posts on purpose. :)

I’ll be back. Caught something and I’m shaky.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thinking about the parable of the Samaritan. Is money really the currency? Is that really the point? I get it was the Samaritans heart and hearing Gods voice which moved him with compassion. Maybe that does look like giving money. I’m not saying it isn’t. But it also could be not keeping others out of the kingdom of God. if the parable reveals Christ who tended to the man by the side of the road, (us)wounded and left half-dead, taking him back to the innkeeper and agreeing to pay anymore spent on the man by the innkeeper…then does it have anything to do with money as that payment, or increase? Or more about giving room for others to enter in to the kingdom of God? Taking him to the innkeeper? ‘In my Fathers house there are many rooms’. ‘As poor yet making many rich’ …we could say the one on the side of the road is poor ‘stripped, wounded, and left half-dead’ and the Samaritan is made rich by being moved with compassion by God and taking him to the inn. to be honest I think the whole parable speaks of persecution for the words sake and the man by the road side is the one persecuted for the words sake …first persecuted by the priest who passes by, and second persecuted by the Levite who also walks by. Consider how the man on the side of the road could be offended. “Offense will come.” A priest and a Levite walked past! “What is this religion that speaks of Christ?” Where a priest and a Levite walks on past?

No one stops until the Samaritan. For the sake of the word the Samaritan is proved to be the brother of him who fell among thieves. Is the Samaritan proved to be the brother of Christ who also fell among thieves? I’m sorry because I get that is so many questions. Consider this though. I’ve been in the church and seen some who will give money religiously paying a tithe. But what they won’t give you is room in “their inn”; saying instead you are hell bound. Point is I’m trying to make is: is it easier to give money than to slide over and let someone else in (especially those we want to mock) because we want so desperately to shout we are in, and they are out.
Sorry it took me so long to get back to this. I went off on a tangent, as usual.
I see some of ALL of this. It slid in and started to settle in and I find nothing wrong with any of those aspects and none of it warred with what the Spirit has shown me, with what I’ve got from the written word and gospel, from other parables, with what I’ve got from Epi, from Zadai and from the writings of quite a few saints No longer on earth.

You are seeing that the teaching of men has some error in it and doesn’t reflect Jesus, you’re questioning how what they teach doesn’t have Him dying for the whole world. You’ve got nothing but good directions to go in here.

The only thing I couldn’t see was the question, is the Samaritan the brother of Christ? Im percolating, but I see him more as depicting men who treat human beings right annd do righteousness and who are judged wrongly by religious hypocrites and the entitled and unhumble crowd. I’m going to go brush up on the Samaritans. All I recall is they broke from the Israelites, had their own temple, and were hated as…infidels and filthy people. I don’t know why they split so I want to find that too.

You are seeing that the teaching of men has some error in it and doesn’t reflect Jesus, you are questioning how what they teach doesn’t have Him dying for the whole world. You’ve got nothing but good directions to go in here. I would suggest something to read and seek out but it would begin a terrible row in here. So instead I will read the parable again and look at Samaritans back then and…see if I get anything to add.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
only thing I couldn’t see was the question, is the Samaritan the brother of Christ? I
Luke 10:36-37 Which now of these three, do you think, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves? [37] And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

What I meant was By being a neighbor unto him that fell among thieves…to me ‘neighbor’ and ‘brother’ are similar. Sometimes I get confused and think the lawyer willing to justify himself asked this question “who is my brother?”
I wasn’t meaning Literally Samaritan as in the bloodline, but instead, At the same time yea a “bloodline” as in Christ Hebrews 2:11 For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren,

From the parable in ways the Samaritan could be compared to Christ. Because of what jesus Christ did for us: by his wounds we are healed, taking us to his inn, agreeing to repay any overage spent. But also the Samaritan in ways could be compared to those that are one with Christ for example Paul saying “I will gladly spend and be spent for you; though the more I love you the less I be loved.” Does Paul know by the parable of the inn-keeper being “I will repay” for any more spent for this man answer the lawyer’s questions “how can I have Life?”

but I see him more as depicting men who treat human beings right annd do righteousness and who are judged wrongly by religious hypocrites and the entitled and unhumble crowd. I’m going to go brush up on the Samaritans. All I recall is they broke from the Israelites, had their own temple, and were hated as…infidels and filthy people.
For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren

You said “but I see him more as depicting men who treat human beings right annd do righteousness and who are judged wrongly by religious hypocrites and the entitled and unhumble crowd.” Agree. isn’t that what we learn from the parable “you will know them by their fruit” and which proved to be the neighbor of the one who fell among thieves?”
2 Corinthians 13:3-11 Since you seek a proof of Christ speaking in me, which to you-ward is not weak, but is mighty in you. [4] For though he was crucified through weakness, yet he liveth by the power of God. For we also are weak in him, but we shall live with him by the power of God toward you. [5] Examine yourselves,(which of the three proved to be the neighbor of the one that fell among thieves?) whether you be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know you not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except you be reprobates? [6] But I trust that you shall know that we are not reprobates. [7] Now I pray to God that you do no evil; not that we should appear approved, but that you should do that which is honest, though we be as reprobates.
Consider the Samaritan here. Though the man beside the road “be as a reprobate” fallen among thieves: who stripped him, beat him, and left him half-dead. “I pray you do no evil.” “Not that we appear approved but that you should do what is honest” what did the Samaritan do that the Priest and the Levite did not do? All in regard to the question “how do I inherit Life”?… I hear it often “ok, but who is my brother” whom I should love?

8] For we can do nothing against the truth, but for the truth. [9] For we are glad, when we are weak, and you are strong(who did the Samaritan desire to be strong?): and this also we wish, even your perfection. (the Samaritan took the man to an inn for keep) 10] Therefore I write these things being absent, lest being present I should use sharpness, according to the power which the Lord hath given me to edification, and not to destruction. [11] Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you.

Last edited: