The Postmodern Respose to Tanking Church Membership

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The head of the The Episcopal Church (TEC) in the US remarked:

"Some have judged our smaller numbers as faithlessness but it may actually be the Spirit's way of pruning for greater fruitfulness."

(Link: http://www.christianpost.com/news/episcopal-leader-membership-losses-are-spirits-way-of-pruning-for-greater-fruitfulness-102573/)

Now, I am admittedly no fan of Bishop Schori, but her narrative is the same line I've heard from many Christians of varying denominations and persuasions. The quickest conservative to make a similar statement is Dr. Moore who will head the ERLC, of the Southern Baptists. He said that it was a "good thing" for the church to be facing the issues of relegation to minority status.

Now, are these two examples really good things? I understand the idea that we will suffer as Christians and that suffering may range from actual persecution (such as that of 1st and 2nd century Christians, among many others) all the way to suffering the loss of loved ones from the church which we all believe will save their souls. I also understand that a Christian is hopeful, by very definition. However, do we really buy the narrative that these are good things?

Even a cultural Christian was exposed to the teachings of the church, and a common set of moral beliefs and boundaries. Yet the church is now not even remotely present in the lives of many. Even if God is about to build something bigger for his church - do we say that this is all good?

Reality is that we are entering minority status with diminished influence. I am fine in acknowledging this. However, I am troubled with the notion that its in any way good. The remnant will always be the remnant, in good or bad.

day

Aug 2, 2012
Idaho, USA
The answer would have to depend on the real reason:

If it is a sifting of chaff from wheat it is a good thing. If it is another sign that Jesus return is very near, how can we help but rejoice?
But if it is because the church has so compromised with the world that it is nothing more than a social club, we have reason for sorrow and repentance.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
28 And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

A sovereign God has His purpose in this sin filled world. It is up to us to simply trust that He knows what He is doing.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The last Pope made a similar statement. Sounded like spin then, and it does now.

penguy83

May 18, 2013
West Virginia, USA
day said:
The answer would have to depend on the real reason:

If it is a sifting of chaff from wheat it is a good thing. If it is another sign that Jesus return is very near, how can we help but rejoice?
But if it is because the church has so compromised with the world that it is nothing more than a social club, we have reason for sorrow and repentance.
I'd have to agree with you.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Over the years I have come to change my opinion ..... in the sense that declining church membership does not always equate to declining christianity

Some of the best people (Christians) I know never attend church

The biggest problem I see is for the children of those families who may not be exposed to (church) in their younger years

Yet on the other hand , all the kids I went to school with , and who went to church on a regular basis , never continued with Christianity after they left home ..... and guys like me who never went to church as a child .... we became the active Christians later in life .... go figure !!!!!!!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes the smaller "mans" church gets, the bigger our Lords'"ecclesia" will get, spotless with out blemish Just as He said.

In all His Love

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
Churches are now a family business, for many denominations. They have also conformed to the morals of this world. Why would anyone think they would need anything from the church when the church believes what they believe.

Biblical teaching without it being watered down is what we need today. Where are you at, let us hear from you, let the world hear from you!

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Rocky Wiley said:
Churches are now a family business, for many denominations. They have also conformed to the morals of this world. Why would anyone think they would need anything from the church when the church believes what they believe.

Biblical teaching without it being watered down is what we need today. Where are you at, let us hear from you, let the world hear from you!
So true ..... but I think the American Church is more "fat and lazy" than anything else.

I include myself in that description ..... I have never gone hungry , never been homeless , or been persecuted . During my early years as a christian it meant everything to me .... I saw everything in black and white ..... now 27 years later , things are more mellowed out and sometimes church discussions are about whether we should pave the parking lot.

Yet if sudden destruction should come tomorrow , I think even the "fat and lazy" will quickly realize what is going on .... we have not forgotten all the warnings in the bible from years ago.

Being a "fat and lazy christian" is not necessarily a bad thing ..... it can be the reflection of a hard working society with good ethics and morals and honesty .... sometimes those things pay off for the citizens.

Prosperity is not a sin any more than being poor makes a better christian

But I do agree the prosperous church sometimes seeks honor and glory for itself in an inappropriate manner. I am not Catholic but I feel the recent Pope is setting a good example by focusing on the poor and the actual people instead of the ''institution".

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have been homeless and hungry and I still agree with you Arnie. First world citizens, including myself,
have it easy compared to the majority of people who have walked the Earth.