The Problem of Christian Anti-intellectualism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can a person who denies something that God teaches be considered wise?

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Why is christian intellectualism considered to be unorthodox?

It is every Christians response to the command, "to be ready to give a Reason for the hope we have" to be trained and equipped to do so.

A beginners guide try coldcasechristianity. For more got to answersingenesis for there many articles on the bible and theology. Or carm, or toughquestionsanswered.
For more difficult stuff try wintery knight or reasonable faith.

A key part of this is to ask questions of the preacher. How does he app.y the bible to abortion, euthanasia, racism etc?
How should a christian find the biblical principals for Christian living?
Why can't we have a men's meeting where we discuss the meaning of live and compare different ideas and religions?
Why are so many sermons about feelings, instead of the facts of christian history?

Reactions: St. SteVen

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Atheists have made many religious people believe that to be spiritually wise they need to study theology in seminaries or otherwise at universities...

In the Bible the word used is "wise"... not intellectual. Neither Jesus nor his disciples were intellectuals (with few exceptions). Those who strive for human-given degrees are confusing how the Bible should be studied with how atheists want believers to understand the Bible.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, I finally made my way through all six videos. That was a lot.
Though progress has been made at the secular academic level, we see little effect in seminaries and consequently the local church.
The church, especially evangelical Protestants remain anti-intellectual.

Here is a Christian luminary in the secular academic arena to watch. Alvin Plantinga.

Alvin Plantinga on Richard Dawkins | Veritas at NYU​

/

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't suppose that there is a thread here when people give the story of how they came to know God and His Son. I would suppose that these stories would address how they came to understand what God would have them to know. But, then I also suppose that most of what we think we know came from someone else who claimed to know.

If our understanding of scripture stems from our "intellectual side" and not from the Spirit of God; we just might be wrong.

Personally, I am an "investigator." In my career field, words mean a great deal. I think that scripture points out the dangers of "the tongue" as a weapon and a tool for deceit. Personally, I believe that there has been a great deal of deceit that has taken control of the churches over the last 2000 years. Satan probably did not have a difficult time getting Israel to fall away from Yahweh. I also think the same thing happened to get us to those who learned of Christ Jesus from the Apostles.

I am definitely not against going to a university for education in scripture. I am against a university that teaches doctrines and proof texts instead of teaching people the practice of hermeneutics. Sadly, I see theologians touting their degrees while holding false doctrines. Does anyone think that our real problem is that we rely solely on our intellect in understanding scripture? How many of us take great pride in our head knowledge of scripture but have yet to lean on "the helper" that Jesus sent?

Mt 18:1–6 At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.

God give us the teaching we need. I think we may have taught ourselves to ignore Him. We pride ourselves on our intellectual abilities and allow no spirit to teach us. After all, I KNOW people who refuse to believe something that is plain in scripture because of the social consequence of having the congregation discover it. I don't think that pleases God at all.

1 Jn 2:26–27 I write these things to you about those who are trying to deceive you. But the anointing that you received from him abides in you, and you have no need that anyone should teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about everything, and is true, and is no lie—just as it has taught you, abide in him.

Now, confession time: When I first graduated with a degree in Scriptural Studies, I did not let go of the doctrines that I had been taught, I thought I knew the truth and preached it. After several years, I started stumbling on verses that went against some of those doctrines. I have studied to determine the truth, and I had to learn to accept what was revealed to me. Yep, it caused problems between my church and I. Now, however, I think the only thing I can do to serve God is to show what I have learned. Yep, I get insulted, get accusations thrown at me, but sometimes; someone actually offers gratitude for my doing so. I've also prayed that God shut my mouth if I am in error.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"The Problem of Christian Anti-intellectualism"

The problem with unbelievers, "they will be tormented day and night FOREVER and EVER".

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's a good video for those wanting to increase their intellectualism as Christians.

Edictum Conferences: Tom Holland - Why I changed my mind about Christianity​

349,718 views Mar 14, 2023 CLUJ-NAPOCA
Title: Why I changed my mind about Christianity Speaker: Tom Holland (historian & author of Dominion)
November 17, 2022 - Cluj-Napoca This recording is part of a series recorded during the Edictum Dei 10
event that took place in November 2022, in Cluj-Napoca, Romania.

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
More from Tom Holland. I really like this guy.
In this video he defends Christian ethics to a humanist.

Tom Holland vs AC Grayling​

History: Did Christianity give us our human values?​

Belief in the dignity, value and equality of human beings has become a
cornerstone of Western societies. But how did those values arise?
Tom Holland’s book Dominion tells the story of how Christianity, came to
positively shape the values of human dignity and equality the Western World.
He debates with atheist philosopher AC Grayling, a Humanist who
is critical of the place of religion in society.

/