The Problem With TIME.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From a Philosophy site that distinguishes God as timeless or temporal. God and Time | Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy

a. What it Means to be Temporal: A First Pass​

The majority position today, at least among philosophers, is that God is everlasting but temporal. That is, God never began to exist, and he will never go out of existence. God does, however, experience temporal succession. That is, God experiences some events (for example, the first century) before he experiences other events (for example, the twenty-first century.) If God is temporal, his existence and his thoughts and actions have temporal location. He exists at the present moment (and he has existed at each past moment and he will exist at each future moment.) In August, he was thinking about the heat wave in the mid-west. In the thirteenth century, he listened to and answered Aquinas’ prayers for understanding. His dealings, like those of the rest of us, occur at particular times.

b. What it Means to be Timeless: A First Pass​

The claim that God is timeless is a denial of the claim that God is temporal. First, God exists, but does not exist at any temporal location. Rather than holding that God is everlastingly eternal, and, therefore, he exists at each time, this position is that God exists but he does not exist at any time at all. God is beyond time altogether. It could be said that although God does not exist at any time God exists at eternity. That is, eternity can be seen as a non-temporal location as any point within time is a temporal location. Second, it is thought that God does not experience temporal succession. God’s relation to each event in a temporal sequence is the same as his relation to any other event. God does not experience the first century before he experiences the twenty-first. Both of these centuries are experienced by God in one “timeless now.” So, while it is true that in the thirteenth century Aquinas prayed for understanding and received it, God’s response to his prayers is not something that also occurred in that century. God, in his timeless state of being, heard Aquinas’ prayers and answered them. He did not first hear them and then answer them. He heard and answered in one timeless moment — in fact, he did so in the same timeless moment that he hears and answers prayers offered in the twenty-first century.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe he is everlasting of both Temporal (via his power, his Spirit extended into this world and then exists in the present, of every moment of time) and Timeless (by the use of his word or inner expression to queue up his commands and self-expressions set for action/execution in his/our Temporal state of reality by the power of his Spirit) qualities as scripture supports my view, imo. This support imo, especially when John speaks in John Chapter one, concerning 'the beginning' and creation. And his Son is part of this plot, as the key performer in the last acts of the 'new' creation of believers for this temporal world, especially for it destruction and restoration, for God's people, in his Spirit.

Thanks. a. and b. are pretty good (as is Craig's is above) as "theories" go. Still, each of those is an attempt to rationalize through the created lens and illusion of time.

The term and idea of "temporal sequence" in a. is an interesting one. But that does not begin to define God being omnipresent.

b. then imposes a limit of only one other option, excluding and thus denying omnipresence, quite literally removing God from the equation.

Pun intended: What is missing is...all of the "above."

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
IF it denies the gospel , THERE SIMPLY IS NO GOOD IN IT . A dear and heavy price unto all who did so
will soon come , in a day and an hour when no man knows .
TO DENY THE GOSPEL of JESUS CHRIST is nothing more than a message o anti christ no matter how much or often
it says the word love . The day wherein many will wail is coming . The day of the LORD when HE ARISES
to judge the world and all who had loved a lie and rejected the truth whereby they could be saved will WAIL without end .
ITS THAT SERIOUS SCOTT . TIS THAT SERIOUS . i am long wore out with this message that omits the DIRE NEED
to BELIEVE ON JESUS THE CHRIST . It wont be saving a one of them , not a one of them . IT WILL DAMN THEM ALL
and worse it will be for them than ever it was for sodom . TO DENY JESUS IS CHRIST IS ANTI CHRIST .
TO DENY HIM is OF ANTI CHRIST . THAT IS THE LIAR , THIS IS ANTI CHRIST . ITS THAT SERIOUS SCOTT . always remember that .

Yes, and yes, I am guilty of trying to be kind or gracious, taking a position of "Father forgive them for they know not what they do."

There will be "weeping and gnashing of teeth", and yet, "But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes." Luke 12:48

Reactions: amigo de christo

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Time is short and moves too fast, but given by God to make a chance for all to come to him, in the span of a lifetime, @ScottA.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottA

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, and yes, I am guilty of trying to be kind or gracious, taking a position of "Father forgive them for they know not what they do."

There will be "weeping and gnashing of teeth", and yet, "But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes." Luke 12:48
Most people would have argued , yet you did not . that is a good sign my friend .
we all have made mistakes , the thing is when we do we simply repent of it .
Now let us march onwards in the LORD my friend .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Time is short and moves too fast, but given by God to make a chance for all to come to him, in the span of a lifetime, @ScottA.
it never moves too fast , if one is longing for the DAY that every apostel and every saint through ever age has longed for ........
THE DAY WHEN FOREVER ONE SHALL BE WITH THE KING WHO SAVED AND SET THEM FREE .
The days are moving fast , but this brings me no sorrow , for it be but a day closer to THAT DAY , THE DAY
THE VERY DAY my soul has long longed for , THE DAY WHEN JESUS I SHALL SEE and FOREVER WITH SHALL I BE .
Most folks look forward to the wrong day , WHEN will they get THEIR DAY , THEIR KINGDOM in THIS LIFE
Mine cometh IN THE NEXT LIFE . NOW that HOPE abounds against anything that cometh my way in this life
For no matter what does come my way , TWO THINGS i do know . JESUS WILL BE WITH ME
and no matter what i suffer in this life , lose in this life , In the NEXT i will never suffer again but have only joy .
For now there is STILL JOY , but its in the LORD , not in this world .
I want to give us all a reminder . IT IS TIME for many to go to a funeral . THEIR OWN
and truly live for CHRIST a new creature .

• Love
Reactions: Marvelloustime