The Punishment that Jesus Took

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John Stefan

Mar 23, 2022
Peterborough
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have always been curious what does it mean when it says that Jesus took the punishment for our sins? Did he take the punishment which Adam and Eve Where supposed to take when they where cast out of the Garden of Eden? And did he know that he was taking their punishment? I await some replies to please explain this as I have no idea what this means.

kind regards John Stefan

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have always been curious what does it mean when it says that Jesus took the punishment for our sins? Did he take the punishment which Adam and Eve Where supposed to take when they where cast out of the Garden of Eden? And did he know that he was taking their punishment? I await some replies to please explain this as I have no idea what this means.

kind regards John Stefan

It's a false theology known as penal substitution. Believers in this believe that Gog the Father vented his wrath on Jesus instead of us and legally punished Jesus instead of us.

EddieRamos

Dec 19, 2021
Millville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

kind regards John Stefan

First of all, we have to let the Bible tell us what the punishment for sin is. It’s death.

Romans 6:23 (KJV)
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

So, Christ who knew no sin (meaning, he was sinless) was made to be sin ion behalf of his elect.

2 Corinthians 5:21 (KJV)
21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

And since the wages of sin is death, and Christ became sin for his people, then Christ died for the sin he took upon himself, according to the law of God.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did he take the punishment which Adam and Eve Where supposed to take when they where cast out of the Garden of Eden?

My understanding is that the "Governmental" Model of the Atonement asserts that Jesus's death does Atone for "Original Sin". The supporting scripture is Romans 5:12-19 (Cherry-picking the key verses for the sake of brevity.):

Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all mankind, because all sinned— ...much more did the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, overflow to the many.

(I note from another thread that you advocate a Limited Atonement. There are sound Biblical reasons for disagreeing with that, but I have no desire to get pulled back into that spitting contest.)

And did he know that he was taking their punishment?

I think He knew.

"Just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many.” (Matthew 20:28)

Reactions: John Stefan

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

kind regards John Stefan

Not really John, you see Jesus bought back what Adam lost. Adam and Eve were perfect, and willingly chose to disobey God, true, Eve was deceived, but clearly chose to disobey God. We do not believe Jesus' ransom provided deliverance for them, only for those who inherited death through their sin.

Reactions: John Stefan