The Purpose of Prayer

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MyTwoCents

Aug 22, 2008
Hello everyone, going to start my posting with a question.I've been struggling with this lately and I'd like to get everyone's opinions, and hopefully backing scripture on the purpose of prayer. Jesus prayed a lot, and him being the Son of God, I would say that means we should too. I am not at all against prayer, and I pray everyday. I pray a lot that God would help me understand why I pray, how to pray, and what I should pray for. But here is what I'm struggling with:-We are supposed to pray for others, I.E.- Pray for healing of the sick, pray for unbelievers, pray that God's glory may be shown in given situations, pray that God's will be done above all else, and pray that God may grant us wisdom and a closer relationship with him. But we are told not to babble on like the pagans. Christ told us "This is how you should pray" followed by the Lord's Prayer. But...really?? I can pray that maybe 3 times a day without losing the meaning in the words, and how can I be honest, how can I come to a close relationship with God by repeating a canned, repetitive prayer? How can I not babble to God yet still pray enough?-So if we don't pray, will these things not be done anyway? What is more powerful or inevitable than the will of God? Will He not do something if I don't pray for it? God's will is going to be done whether I pray for it or not, so why am I praying for it? Why am I attempting to guide HIM and change HIS will? If I have put God in control, and God has a purpose for all things, what can I possibly say? It makes more sense to shut up, sit back, and watch and learn.Basically, some prayers the answers are no, some go unanswered, and the question is, if the prayers don't change things, if the will of God is good, holy, and unchanging, why pray at all?My understanding goes a little deeper than this, but I want to get opinions about these statements.TwoCents

Red_Letters88

Jan 5, 2008
Well let me start with your Lords prayer misunderstanding. The Lord was telling us HOW we should pray..."This, then, is how you should pray: " 'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name...Jesus didnt say: Pray this prayer exactly- he was teaching us:1. why we pray (burdens on our hearts)2. what should be important and first in our cares of this world (keeping us humble before God)3. teaching us that prayer to God through Christ- forms our relationship with him (like in ANY relationship- we follow God- so we ask him to help and guide us.---Now its true what you said- that Gods will be done no matter how much you pray otherwise. But something I think you are misunderstanding is that you are NEVER asking him to change His will- you are asking Him to reveal it to you.God knows our thoughts and actions- but when WE go to Him in our own will (freewill) this shows and strengthens our desire to walk with God.

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
So you have your creator, your savior, and the one who loves you with the deepeset love you will ever find, who you can have a conversation with anytime you want. and you don't want to talk to him?? but you do bring up some good questions I think Red Letter hit it right on the spot with the first question, Jesus never told us to always say that prayer exactly, but used the prayer to show us what prayer should be like..not as an attempt to make yourselfs holier than everyone else, as that is worthless in the eyes of God.. but to ask for your daily needs, to ask for strength to forgive, to resist tempation. Or as my opening statement pointed out to just have a conversation with our savior. Your second question is also a very great question why pray to a God which has an unchangeable will. a couple reasons..prayer is not only about Getting what you want but also forming a relationship with God. Prayer is used to ask for Guidance, to express how you feel to him, to get back to him after you have sinned. But when it comes to asking favors I believe John 5: 14-15 says it best 14And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: 15And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him. also observe Matheww 18:20 20For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. hope this has helped Your brother in christ Ryan Fitz Ps. a pretty dang sweet article I found on the subject after I typed this mess out.. I think you will find it immensly helpful www.gotquestions.org/why-pray.html

MyTwoCents

Aug 22, 2008
That article was great, and I think hit the nail on the head, thanks for pulling that up!I think the second question is pretty much answered, but I'm still wondering where the line is of "babbling." What does that mean? When Jesus said that the Father knows what we need, does that mean that I can't talk to him as I would a friend? Of what is going on in my life? Of what my friend is going through?

Red_Letters88

Jan 5, 2008
(MyTwoCents;57398)
That article was great, and I think hit the nail on the head, thanks for pulling that up!I think the second question is pretty much answered, but I'm still wondering where the line is of "babbling." What does that mean? When Jesus said that the Father knows what we need, does that mean that I can't talk to him as I would a friend? Of what is going on in my life? Of what my friend is going through?
I take this to mean- talk to God, but not as you would your brother. In trust and respect, make your heart known- then leave it to God. I also remember another thing Jesus said about prayer when I read this- It was when he was talking about how the hypocritical pharisees would "stand on the street corner" praying loudy so that they may be heard- seeking mens praise.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Great posts guys Im in agreement he wants us to talk to him as a Father, he does not like repetitive prayers just repeated and memorized. Vain babblings. He wants you to open your heart to him. You can Talk to him like a friend, but like a father thats your friend that you show reverance to Not the casual friend as in hey there dude hows it going.... type friend:)

DreadStorm

Aug 16, 2008
Oh, I dunno. Take it from a different perspective. Of course, my view might be wrong.Jesus, God, and the Holy Spirit are One (though separate), right? That means - to me - that foremost, He is King. Secondly, He's my Father. Thirdly, He's my Brother (joint heir, after all). As far as I can tell, people sometimes would, in fact, greet their brother in the "dude, how goes it?" context. I mean, think about it. I would rather follow someone who could also be my friend too. Friends joke around, act informally, and occasionally complain to one another. I know if I didn't complain once in a while, I wouldn't have learned near as much as I had. In my experience, He is more open with me if I treat Him like a "normal" person - of course, keeping firmly in mind that He's boss. Someone stiff and stodgy tends to turn people off, by nature, and I'm not exempt from that. After all, weren't the apostles also his friends, and they ate together, joked together, sometimes had fun together - and even complained to each other once in a while?But again, I might be wrong. But He deals with us each in different ways and on different levels.