The Real Epistle to the Laodiceans

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The missing epistle to the Laodiceans, this epistle is actually entitled the Book of Philemon. These verses connect it.

Colossians 4:15 Salute the brethren which are in Laodicea, and Nymphas, and the church which is in his house. 16 And when this epistle is read among you, cause that it be read also in the church of the Laodiceans; and that ye likewise read the epistle from Laodicea. 17 And say to Archippus, Take heed to the ministry which thou hast received in the Lord, that thou fulfil it.

Archippus was charged to take heed and fulfill the ministry of the Lord by having that epistle at Laodicea read to the Colossians.

Philemon 1:11 Paul, a prisoner of Jesus Christ, and Timothy our brother, unto Philemon our dearly beloved, and fellowlabourer, 2 And to our beloved Apphia, and Archippus our fellowsoldier, and to the church in thy house:

Somewhen down the line, they entitled the epistle as "Philemon" as being addressed first when that was the epistle Paul had written to the Laodiceans that was to be read to the Colossians.

So the epistle to the Laodiceans is not lost. Any lost book with that title is a fraud, especially when it runs against the accepted scripture as found in the King James Version Bible.

Reactions: Nancy

A_Man

Nov 8, 2019
Atlanta area
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The missing epistle to the Laodiceans, this epistle is actually entitled the Book of Philemon. These verses connect it.

Colossians 4:15 Salute the brethren which are in Laodicea, and Nymphas, and the church which is in his house. 16 And when this epistle is read among you, cause that it be read also in the church of the Laodiceans; and that ye likewise read the epistle from Laodicea. 17 And say to Archippus, Take heed to the ministry which thou hast received in the Lord, that thou fulfil it.

Archippus was charged to take heed and fulfill the ministry of the Lord by having that epistle at Laodicea read to the Colossians.

Philemon 1:11 Paul, a prisoner of Jesus Christ, and Timothy our brother, unto Philemon our dearly beloved, and fellowlabourer, 2 And to our beloved Apphia, and Archippus our fellowsoldier, and to the church in thy house:

Somewhen down the line, they entitled the epistle as "Philemon" as being addressed first when that was the epistle Paul had written to the Laodiceans that was to be read to the Colossians.

So the epistle to the Laodiceans is not lost. Any lost book with that title is a fraud, especially when it runs against the accepted scripture as found in the King James Version Bible.

Philemon sure reads like a personal letter.

There is a Latin version of the epistle. I'm not commenting on it's legitimacy. It did not seem to contain anything that was not in Paul's other epistles as I recall.

Reactions: Enow

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Philemon sure reads like a personal letter.

Same thing with both epistles to Timothy.

1 Timothy 1:1Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the commandment of God our Saviour, and Lord Jesus Christ, which is our hope; 2 Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord. 3 As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus,...

2 Timothy 1:1Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus, 2 To Timothy, my dearly beloved son: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.

It is probable for why the epistle to Laodiceans was named Philemon. If we think about it, these epistles as letters, probably were not given a title by Paul when he had sent them.

There is a Latin version of the epistle. I'm not commenting on it's legitimacy. It did not seem to contain anything that was not in Paul's other epistles as I recall.

You are correct. Probably why not very many sermons are referenced from the Book of Philemon, if at all.

Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Nancy

A_Man

Nov 8, 2019
Atlanta area
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is probable for why the epistle to Laodiceans was named Philemon. If we think about it, these epistles as letters, probably were not given a title by Paul when he had sent them.

But Paul did not write this as an epistle to the Laodiceans as a whole, or the church as a whole, but to Philemon. Saying that was the epistle to church in Laodicea sounds like pure guesswork to me, and rather unlikely.

You are correct. Probably why not very many sermons are referenced from the Book of Philemon, if at all.

I am talking about an epistle addressed to the church in Laodiciea in Latin, not the epistle of Philemon.

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But Paul did not write this as an epistle to the Laodiceans as a whole, or the church as a whole, but to Philemon. Saying that was the epistle to church in Laodicea sounds like pure guesswork to me, and rather unlikely.

Archippus? I think not. I believe Jesus's words that those who loved Him would keep His words ( John 14:23-24 & John 15:20 ) and therefore the epistle to Laodiceans is the Philemon one, because they would copy these epistles in all the places the epistles is to be sent and read.

I am talking about an epistle addressed to the church in Laodiciea in Latin, not the epistle of Philemon.

Circumspect, because if it was legit, it would have been shared and kept by all the churches in the N.T. and be in our N.T. of the Bible today.

But I reckon you would have to ask the Lord Jesus Christ about that for why it is not in the N.T. Probably something in it that runs against the accepted scripture, I would believe. Thanks for sharing, though.