The signpost

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
When lost, the wise traveller asks for directions…

“Stand at the crossroads and look;
ask for the ancient paths,
ask where the good way is and walk in it,

and you will find rest for your souls.” (Jeremiah 6:16)

‘Old’ is not necessarily good (for the paths of wickedness are also venerable and well-trodden) - but when the right way has already been signposted, to set off in any other direction is asking for trouble. We don’t need a new revelation from God; we need to obey the old one!

But we belong to a generation that worships novelty and excitement. Anything ‘ancient’ is likely to be dismissed as obsolete (rather than tried and tested); and anything ‘restful’ will probably be described as mundane and boring (rather than safe and sure).

In Jeremiah’s day, the ‘ancient path’ was the covenant that God had made with Israel at Mount Sinai. That covenant has now been superseded; the ‘map’ has been re-drawn following the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. But the principle is unchanged: “Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” (Matthew 11:29) Unfortunately, our reluctance to follow God’s directions is also unchanged! But we will not find what our souls are searching for unless we to submit to the yoke of Christ…