The spirit keeps leaving me.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Aug 15, 2021
knoxville tn
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Im trying to quit smoking ciggrrettes. When im doing really good about it, the spirit comes into me and i want to worship god and love god. When i mess up and out of stress just start smoking as much as i want, its very clear the spirit leaves me. ive failed smoking over and over.

I need a godly person to pray for me because in the bible god answers a godly persons prayers.

I do believe it is possible to loose salvation from repeateded sins such as smoking.

Reactions: dev553344

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don’t believe you can lose your salvation from your battle with smoking, and I don’t think the Spirit leaves you. I believe with any addiction that guilt and our own feelings of failure make us move away and distance ourselves internally. I have not battled smoking but due to an eating disorder that developed as a young girl ( now in my 60’s ) my relationship with food has been addictive at times. The Holy Spirit has helped me to heal internally from the root causes and the dependence on food that developed when I was stressed or upset.
It has taken the Lord so many years …so for me healing was not instant, and it is not complete yet either as I still feel a sense of insecurity over my appearance and unacceptable to the world because everything seems to revolve around being slim and attractive ( which I am neither ) …………I do not have the answers for how you give up smoking, but Jesus does and will walk with you through the good and bad days.
Our dependence has to switch from substance, food, drink ect, to dependence on Him….it’s a process that takes time xx
My son has recently come to faith and he has struggled with addiction , he is currently reading CS Lewis ‘Mere Christianity ‘ …he said it is brilliant. I have not read it , but what he shared, well I wished I had read it years ago. …….may or may not help you, but perhaps it might be worth looking at it. Xxx
Thinking of you
Rita

Reactions: Nancy and dev553344

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Im trying to quit smoking ciggrrettes. When im doing really good about it, the spirit comes into me and i want to worship god and love god. When i mess up and out of stress just start smoking as much as i want, its very clear the spirit leaves me. ive failed smoking over and over.

I need a godly person to pray for me because in the bible god answers a godly persons prayers.

I do believe it is possible to loose salvation from repeated sins such as smoking.

Your belief on losing your salvation is not correct assuming you have it so we can dispense with that.

What you may be experiencing regarding the spirit ( the actual Holy Spirit) isn't so that one is gone too.

God's promise to answer a prayer doesn't just wonderfully "miracle' you out of a jam.

So you need to have a real "Come to Jesus" moment with Him and repent of your sins. Then start getting your physical life in order and probably a good idea to join a stop smoking program too.

When you fail in any effort (being human, its a guarantee you will- just like the rest of us), dust yourself off, ask for forgiveness and strength to carry on and get back on the plan.

Rinse and repeat.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can walk away from faith if you choose to in saying you no longer have no desire for God anymore. Once always saved is not a true doctrine. You either have faith and trust God and understand that God is there for you, and that you are forgiven because of the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ Jesus and walk by faith. Or you stop caring and do not walk by faith and give up on God. That choice is totally up to you.

Reactions: dev553344

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I do believe it is possible to loose salvation from repeateded sins such as smoking.

When you have an urge to smoke, drink a glass of orange juice instead. Chewing gum also helps.

Reactions: Nancy and dev553344

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We will have to walk away on this one and shake hands. - Best Regards - Matthew G.

Reactions: Nancy

Aug 15, 2021
knoxville tn
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i dont know. Ive mostly only read the old testement besides ive read through matthew, mark, luke, john and part of acts. God didnt leave david even though he did evil in the sight or the LORD and he didnt take his spirit from him. Although it make sense... i think somewhere in the bible it says God expects different things from different people probly from our preparedness. alot of websites have lists of verses that make it seem like salvation is not permenant. im in a lot of distress about it. i already prayed to God to please dont throw me away and still hasnt came back even after having less than one ciggerette today. im afraid its too late :(

Reactions: Nancy

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

While I doubt you'll lose your salvation from smoking I will pray for you. I'm trying to quit also and recently posted a prayer request as well. I'm down to one dose every 2 hours and getting ready to move to every 3 hours at the direction of Jesus' spirit. I also am aware that we receive more of the Holy Spirit when we don't smoke. I also feel the Holy Spirit when I do. But I think God may be directing you to quit for some reason.

That said, I quit for 10 years and how I quit was that I switched to light cigarettes and reduced the frequency of smoking events. You'll find that the more you smoke the more you need to smoke. The less you smoke the less you need it. So for me what worked was reducing the amount of nicotine I took in until I was able to put them down completely.

I will pray for you that God will bless you with his Holy Spirit to reduce and quit smoking. Also that you will see the need to quit and the benefits of quitting. Although it appears you're already being made aware of the benefits. :)

Reactions: 1234567

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i dont know. Ive mostly only read the old testement besides ive read through matthew, mark, luke, john and part of acts. God didnt leave david even though he did evil in the sight or the LORD and he didnt take his spirit from him. Although it make sense... i think somewhere in the bible it says God expects different things from different people probly from our preparedness. alot of websites have lists of verses that make it seem like salvation is not permenant. im in a lot of distress about it. i already prayed to God to please dont throw me away and still hasnt came back even after having less than one ciggerette today. im afraid its too late :(
You only have to get that cigarette intake down to one cigarette then wait three days and pray and fight to not smoke. At the third day the cigarette craving is made less and tolerable, then you're thru the withdrawals. And they are physical withdrawals.

Also it's important to remind yourself that we aren't born with cigarettes in our mouths and there was much of our childhood spent without smoking so we really don't need them. Try to remember what is was like not smoking and tell yourself that you will be OK without smoking just like your childhood. :)

Last edited:

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Paul lists the sins that will keep believers out of heaven in 1 Corinthians 6 - smoking isn’t on the list.

Here’s the deal - some people try to put smokers under condemnation by claiming it defiles the body, and God says whoever defiles their body, which is a temple of the Holy Spirit, God will destroy.

What’s wrong about that is that Jesus said nothing that goes into the body can defile a man, because it’s what comes out of the body, from the heart, through the lips, that defiles a man.

It’s a bad habit, and very unhealthy, and it might send a born again Christian to heaven early, but it won’t keep them out of heaven.

And no, I don’t smoke, and have never smoked, so I’m not trying to justify myself as a smoker - I’m just telling it like it is, so you wont be in despair over this.

What you do is pray this every time you smoke: Lord Jesus, please deliver me from this unwanted habit.

Blessings

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I used to smoke heavily. I tried over and over to cut down and quit. I finally quit. Give it six weeks - it gets easier then.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don’t believe you can lose your salvation from your battle with smoking, and I don’t think the Spirit leaves you. I believe with any addiction that guilt and our own feelings of failure make us move away and distance ourselves internally. I have not battled smoking but due to an eating disorder that developed as a young girl ( now in my 60’s ) my relationship with food has been addictive at times. The Holy Spirit has helped me to heal internally from the root causes and the dependence on food that developed when I was stressed or upset.
It has taken the Lord so many years …so for me healing was not instant, and it is not complete yet either as I still feel a sense of insecurity over my appearance and unacceptable to the world because everything seems to revolve around being slim and attractive ( which I am neither ) …………I do not have the answers for how you give up smoking, but Jesus does and will walk with you through the good and bad days.
Our dependence has to switch from substance, food, drink ect, to dependence on Him….it’s a process that takes time xx
My son has recently come to faith and he has struggled with addiction , he is currently reading CS Lewis ‘Mere Christianity ‘ …he said it is brilliant. I have not read it , but what he shared, well I wished I had read it years ago. …….may or may not help you, but perhaps it might be worth looking at it. Xxx
Thinking of you
Rita
@Rita In the end it's daily prayer and the Scriptures, right? (and not a matter of judging oneself by externals...)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

Romans 8 says that someone without the Spirit of Christ is 'none of His'. All born again believers since Pentecost have been indwelt by the Holy Spirit (Acts 2).

Whoever tells you that smoking a cigarette will make one lose one's salvation is not telling the truth. The mightily blessed preacher Spurgeon smoked.