The Sword

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 27:39-41
[39] And Isaac his father answered and said unto him, Behold, thy dwelling shall be the fatness of the earth, and of the dew of heaven from above; [40] And by thy sword shalt thou live, and shalt serve thy brother; and it shall come to pass when thou shalt have the dominion, that thou shalt break his yoke from off thy neck. [41] And Esau hated Jacob because of the blessing wherewith his father blessed him: and Esau said in his heart, The days of mourning for my father are at hand; then will I slay my brother Jacob.

Revelation 13:10 “He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity: he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints.”

“...he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword.”

Matthew 26:51-52
[51] And, behold, one of them which were with Jesus stretched out his hand, and drew his sword, and struck a servant of the high priest's, and smote off his ear. [52] Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

Revelation 13:14
[14] And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.

Revelation 13:3-4
[3] And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast. [4] And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the beast: and they worshipped the beast, saying, Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?

It is not a literal sword that wounded(wounds) the beast.
What of the sword of Gideon, or the sword of Goliath.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It is not a literal sword that wounded(wounds) the beast.
What of the sword of Gideon, or the sword of Goliath.
Scripture speaks of BOTH literal and metaphorical swords. Context determines the meaning. Gideon and Goliath had actual swords.

But when you look at the metaphorical sword of the Spirit (the Word of God) all you have to do is detach "s" (for Spirit) from "word" (for Word of God").

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Revelation 13:3-4
[3] And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast. [4] And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the beast: and they worshipped the beast, saying, Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?

I've often wondered about this analogy. The symbolism refers to "one of the heads" (plural) of the beast, meaning more specifically in reference to one of the ten nation nations that comprise his empire rather than to the Antichrist himself. The other interpretation is possible, of course, but I believe the expression "the worship of the beast" is likewise a reference to the worship, i.e. admiration of an empire rather than a man, since they marvel after it and exclaim "who is able to make war" against it.

I think the context suggests this wound will be to one of the heads, i.e. nations, rather than to the man himself. But what that wound is remains a mystery to me.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gideon and Goliath had actual swords.

Of course they had actual swords, but still, does it not also tell of another sword. As a dream of a loaf of bread tumbling into a host of Midan and smote a tent, tells of another bread. Bread doesn’t smote unless it is (of)His body. Judges 7:13-14 ”And when Gideon was come, behold, there was a man that told a dream unto his fellow, and said, Behold, I dreamed a dream, and, lo, a cake of barley bread tumbled into the host of Midian, and came unto a tent, and smote it that it fell, and overturned it, that the tent lay along. [14] And his fellow answered and said, This is nothing else save the sword of Gideon the son of Joash, a man of Israel: for into his hand hath God delivered Midian, and all the host.”

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But when you look at the metaphorical sword of the Spirit (the Word of God) all you have to do is detach "s" (for Spirit) from "word" (for Word of God").

Here is a question: why does God so many times say He will bring the sword upon a people?

Amos 9:1-4
[1] I saw the Lord standing upon the altar: and he said, Smite the lintel of the door, that the posts may shake: and cut them in the head, all of them; and I will slay the last of them with the sword: he that fleeth of them shall not flee away, and he that escapeth of them shall not be delivered. [2] Though they dig into hell, thence shall mine hand take them; though they climb up to heaven, thence will I bring them down: [3] And though they hide themselves in the top of Carmel, I will search and take them out thence; and though they be hid from my sight in the bottom of the sea, thence will I command the serpent, and he shall bite them: [4] And though they go into captivity before their enemies, thence will I command the sword, and it shall slay them: and I will set mine eyes upon them for evil, and not for good.

“...though they be hid from my sight in the bottom of the sea, there will I command the serpent, and he shall bite them.” men do not hide in the bottom of the sea. Can not be literal. “...and I will set mine eyes upon them for evil, not for good.”

Romans 13:4
[4] For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

Isaiah 1:20
[20] But if ye refuse and rebel, ye shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it .

What sword is this.

Reactions: Nancy

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But what that wound is remains a mystery to me.
it has to be a wound given by the sword. Doubtfully it is a literal sword.

Revelation 13:14
[14] And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.

Isaiah 27:1
[1] In that day the Lord with his sore and great and strong sword shall punish leviathan the piercing serpent, even leviathan that crooked serpent; and he shall slay the dragon that is in the sea.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is a question: why does God so many times say He will bring the sword upon a people?

Amos 9:1-4
[1] I saw the Lord standing upon the altar: and he said, Smite the lintel of the door, that the posts may shake: and cut them in the head, all of them; and I will slay the last of them with the sword: he that fleeth of them shall not flee away, and he that escapeth of them shall not be delivered. [2] Though they dig into hell, thence shall mine hand take them; though they climb up to heaven, thence will I bring them down: [3] And though they hide themselves in the top of Carmel, I will search and take them out thence; and though they be hid from my sight in the bottom of the sea, thence will I command the serpent, and he shall bite them: [4] And though they go into captivity before their enemies, thence will I command the sword, and it shall slay them: and I will set mine eyes upon them for evil, and not for good.

“...though they be hid from my sight in the bottom of the sea, there will I command the serpent, and he shall bite them.” men do not hide in the bottom of the sea. Can not be literal. “...and I will set mine eyes upon them for evil, not for good.”

Romans 13:4
[4] For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

Isaiah 1:20
[20] But if ye refuse and rebel, ye shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it .

What sword is this.
The Sword of His Spirit-The Word? It is a Living thing, The Word. I believe He will slay the wicked, and the self righteous with His "WORD"...the unsaved will not be able to say they did not know so, does The Word not already condemn them?

Last edited:
Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That sword represents God judgment -- execution -- on the wicked and the ungodly, and frequently He used the swords of their enemies to destroy those under His judgment. When the Romans destroyed the temple, Jerusalem, and Judea (c 70 AD), they used swords and fire to bring judgment upon unbelieving Israel.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That sword represents God judgment -- execution -- on the wicked and the ungodly, and frequently He used the swords of their enemies to destroy those under His judgment. When the Romans destroyed the temple, Jerusalem, and Judea (c 70 AD), they used swords and fire to bring judgment upon unbelieving Israel.

He delivers us from the sword? From His wrath? Psalm 144:10-15 It is he that giveth salvation unto kings: who delivereth David his servant from the hurtful sword. [11] Rid me, and deliver me from the hand of strange children, whose mouth speaketh vanity, and their right hand is a right hand of falsehood: [12] That our sons may be as plants grown up in their youth; that our daughters may be as corner stones, polished after the similitude of a palace: [13] That our garners may be full, affording all manner of store: that our sheep may bring forth thousands and ten thousands in our streets: [14] That our oxen may be strong to labour; that there be no breaking in, nor going out; that there be no complaining in our streets. [15] Happy is that people, that is in such a case: yea , happy is that people, whose God is the Lord .

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Sword of His Spirit-The Word? It is a Living thing, The Word. I believe He will slay the wicked, and the self righteous with His "WORD"...the unsaved will not be able to say they did not know so, does The Word not already condemn them?

I do understand what you are saying. Matthew 5:18 “For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.”

Luke 2:34-35
[34] And Simeon blessed them, and said unto Mary his mother, Behold, this child is set for the fall and rising again of many in Israel; and for a sign which shall be spoken against; [35] (Yea, a sword shall pierce through thy own soul also,) that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed.

Reactions: Nancy

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The sword of Goliath. The problem with forcing the sword of Goliath to remain literal is we may miss that God removed the sword out of a giants hand and placed that very sword in David’s hand. 1 Samuel 21:9 “And the priest said, The sword of Goliath the Philistine, whom thou slewest in the valley of Elah, behold, it is here wrapped in a cloth behind the ephod: if thou wilt take that, take it : for there is no other save that here. And David said, There is none like that; give it me.” There is NONE like this sword. John 20:5-7
[5] And he stooping down, and looking in , saw the linen clothes lying; yet went he not in. [6] Then cometh Simon Peter following him, and went into the sepulchre, and seeth the linen clothes lie, [7] And the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself.

The reason this topic is important to me. You can’t study “the sword” without your reverence for God deepening. Also, it shows very clearly what He has done for us. In Jeremiah 15:3 God says “And I will appoint over them four kinds, saith the Lord : the sword to slay, and the dogs to tear, and the fowls of the heaven, and the beasts of the earth, to devour and destroy.”

...the sword to slay.
...dogs to tear.
...the fowls to devour.
...the beasts of the earth, to devour and destroy.

God, through the Son, has delivered us from being slain, torn, devoured, and destroyed.

Jeremiah 25:27-29
[27] Therefore thou shalt say unto them, Thus saith the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel; Drink ye, and be drunken, and spue, and fall, and rise no more, because of the sword which I will send among you. [28] And it shall be, if they refuse to take the cup at thine hand to drink, then shalt thou say unto them, Thus saith the Lord of hosts; Ye shall certainly drink. [29] For, lo, I begin to bring evil on the city which is called by my name, and should ye be utterly unpunished? Ye shall not be unpunished: for I will call for a sword upon all the inhabitants of the earth, saith the Lord of hosts.

Drink ...“...fall and rise no more.” God had said He would bring evil and not good. But that is not so with those born again from above and of an inheritance. Luke 2:33-35 “And Joseph and his mother marvelled at those things which were spoken of him. [34] And Simeon blessed them, and said unto Mary his mother, Behold, this child is set for the fall and rising again of many in Israel; and for a sign which shall be spoken against; [35] (Yea, a sword shall pierce through thy own soul also,) that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed.” —notice what Simeon tells Mary (Yea, a sword shall pierce through your own soul also,) ...that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed.

He delivered us from the sword and from the power of the dog. All things God had sent upon a people in Wrath. Psalm 22:18-20 “They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture. [19] But be not thou far from me, O Lord : O my strength, haste thee to help me. [20] Deliver my soul from the sword; my darling from the power of the dog.”

1 Chronicles 21:26-30
[26] And David built there an altar unto the Lord , and offered burnt offerings and peace offerings, and called upon the Lord ; and he answered him from heaven by fire upon the altar of burnt offering. [27] And the Lord commanded the angel; and he put up his sword again into the sheath thereof. [28] At that time when David saw that the Lord had answered him in the threshingfloor of Ornan the Jebusite, then he sacrificed there. [29] For the tabernacle of the Lord , which Moses made in the wilderness, and the altar of the burnt offering, were at that season in the high place at Gibeon. [30] But David could not go before it to enquire of God: for he was afraid because of the sword of the angel of the Lord .

But we are told to come boldly before God, not coming upon a burning mountain that can not be approached but upon a Father. The Lord drank the dregs of our cup: John 18:11 “Then said Jesus unto Peter, Put up thy sword into the sheath: the cup which my Father hath given me, shall I not drink it?

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course they had actual swords, but still, does it not also tell of another sword. As a dream of a loaf of bread tumbling into a host of Midan and smote a tent, tells of another bread. Bread doesn’t smote unless it is (of)His body. Judges 7:13-14 ”And when Gideon was come, behold, there was a man that told a dream unto his fellow, and said, Behold, I dreamed a dream, and, lo, a cake of barley bread tumbled into the host of Midian, and came unto a tent, and smote it that it fell, and overturned it, that the tent lay along. [14] And his fellow answered and said, This is nothing else save the sword of Gideon the son of Joash, a man of Israel: for into his hand hath God delivered Midian, and all the host.”
This is a very good interpretation. Christ's body is the barley bread that tumbled into the midst of the demons (Midians) that made their abode in our sinful flesh (this is the tent) and overturned it by means of His sinlessness. In a sense, it is similar (the sword) to that of Goliath's, representing the Devil, who through sin brought death upon us and which Christ, the noetic David by dying an unjust death, picked up and cut off his head.

Last edited:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jer. 48:10 Cursed be he that does the work of the LORD deceitfully, and cursed be he that keeps back his sword from blood.

Now that statement sounds like it was made by Attila the Hun.....if we take it literally.