the term "Christian" is cliche and meaningless today...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Xian it is nice to meet you. I rarely follow anyone but I have followed you because I want to hear more of what you have to say but I have to go now. Nice to meet you.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Here comes strat, I can hear him.....

Oh well, here is the point. Everyone has an idea what the word means, but every person's standards are different. You may get several people to agree its a person with the Spirit in them.....
Then you ask what that ambiguous phrase means and you get.....

They are no longer in the flesh, rom 8:9
They don't give into temptation gal 5;.16
THE SPEAK IN TONGUES, THEY HEAL, THEY HAVE ALL THE SPIRITUAL GIFTS, THEY HAVE SOME SPIRITUAL GIFTS, ETC.....

Now, every different answer means anyone not like MY idea is not a Xian. And nobody shares your idea after you get into the basics of it....

Therefore a room of 100 Xians will get 125 definitions, each different.

If someone outside the Church hears you are a Xian, they have their own picture and definition. So, they think you are something you never claimed to be, and you think they see you as being something other than what they see. You both have your own pictures, but the pictures aren't remotely similar.......

So, the word is meaningless. A word's value it to provide a picture an understanding.... of a concept. When in a 2 person conversation the word presents two pictures that are not the same..... it does not serve its purpose and has no value.....

What do you think the word means.

And for those answers like, "a follower of Christ", explain that with details or examples of the phrase, because the terms and preconceptions would be different for all.....

Christ solves the problem by pointing out that these labels are meaningless. So you are in good company already. He then goes on to point out that you can determine the truth by their actions. Are they feeding the hungry? Are they clothing the naked? Are they housing the homeless? etc.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Christ solves the problem by pointing out that these labels are meaningless. So you are in good company already. He then goes on to point out that you can determine the truth by their actions. Are they feeding the hungry? Are they clothing the naked? Are they housing the homeless? etc.

I should add that simply doing those things doesn't establish anything because the scribes and Pharisees were notorious for their piety. The crucial factor is whether or not what is produced is systemic. It must originate from the Father, and flow in, with, and through Christ.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
A Christian, first and foremost, is a sinner, and secondly, he is one who recognizes it, and thus, asks for forgiveness in order to absolve it.
...and, I don't need to add, that the recognition and request for expiation, is based on the acknowledgement of the existence of a holy God, and his offer of grace.

This conviction is what separates us from all other religions (yes, Christianity is a religion i.e. a belief system).
Can one identify a Christian from the rest of the world, even if they were to overtly profess it, yes and know. For a real Christian can be either or both, a conqueror and a defeatist, as much as an insincere Christian can be either, successful in many ways, giving the impression that God is on their side, or they too can appear unimpressive and average.

You just can't really tell as a rule. Some do stand out by their character, where if I had to guess, I would've said that they're definitely Christians. And others, where I would've sworn that they weren't, turned out to be bible-thumping, holy-rollers.
Ideally, if Christians would live according to the promises and exhortations in the Bible, their identification would be much more obvious. But unfortunately, very few of us have truly conquered the world, and loved God and each other in the manner that we are supposed to, and thus, our convictions and status with God, are somewhat often concealed.

For again, a Christian is an incorrigible sinner seeking grace, mercy and absolution from the supreme, holy and gracious God.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Christians can be divided into "Old Covenant Christians", and "New Covenant Christians" Those who are still under the Old Covenant must continue to rely upon Christ's sacrifice to cover their sins while the New Covenant Christians have become a new creation in, with, and through Christ. They have been conformed to the image of Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit. "There remains no more sacrifice for sins" because they no longer sin anymore. That's not just what's possible with God, it's what God promises.