The trial:

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Peter 1:7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:

Is it the trial of your faith which is more precious than gold ...? Why the trial is precious?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
1 Peter 1:7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:

Is it the trial of your faith which is more precious than gold ...? Why the trial?

The Christian life is a race of salvation. And what does salvation entail? There are good and bad salvations. There is eternal honour and eternal shame. Nothing is sure or guaranteed before the end. Run to win.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Is it the trial of your faith which is more precious than gold ...? Why the trial is precious?

The testing of your faith doesn't feel precious - at FIRST. But it becomes a joy because you begin to see the good it brings you.

Reactions: Episkopos and Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hi VIJ,

I've understood this to mean that our faith is more precious than gold, though both be tried by fire.

Why?

You only find out how strong the tea is when you put it in hot water.

Romans 5
1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
4 And patience, experience; and experience, hope:
5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

In verse 3, "glory" is actually the same word as "rejoice" in verse 2. We rejoice in tribulations because we know that tribulations cause us to endure, and as we endure we find out what God does, and this gives the experiential proof of our faith, and what we expect to happen.

We hope for the resurrection, but we see what God has done during our afflictions.

The proving of our faith, as Peter puts it, this is God having given us faith, now provides evidences in our lives to show that faith is real. The evidences are our endurance through hardships, to find we trust God even more after, not to mention during.

Even when our faith is shaken to the core, once the storm settles, we find we are still standing on the Rock.

So when the next wave crashes over our heads, we are happy, so happy, to know that once again the world and the flesh and the devil will throw all they can against us, but we rejoice knowing that this too will be more proof, and greater intimacy, as God continues to refine and renew us.

Much love!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

I have always placed the emphasis on Faith.... Without faith we have nothing...
But the scripture says - " Count it all joy, when you fall into diverse testings..knowing that the tail of your faith worketh patience ...allow patience to have it's perfect ( perfecting) work..." etc

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have always placed the emphasis on Faith.... Without faith we have nothing...
But the scripture says - " Count it all joy, when you fall into diverse testings..knowing that the tail of your faith worketh patience ...allow patience to have it's perfect ( perfecting) work..." etc

same here. I always put the emphasis on Faith also. never would have seen the “the trial” as precious but Instead the “Faith”. it helps though(imo)to not take away from Faith which increases but also to be encouraged since God calls the trial precious and as you quoted above “count it all joy”.

Reactions: Waiting on him
B

brakelite

The Christian life is a race of salvation. And what does salvation entail? There are good and bad salvations. There is eternal honour and eternal shame. Nothing is sure or guaranteed before the end. Run to win.
Not to win. Run to finish.

Reactions: Joseph77

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Not to win. Run to finish.

Paul was trying to win Christ. Finishing is about enduring to the end. Do you have the same understanding of spiritual things as Paul? Superior perhaps?

Phil : 3:8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Good eyes

B

brakelite

Paul was trying to win Christ. Finishing is about enduring to the end. Do you have the same understanding of spiritual things as Paul? Superior perhaps?

Phil : 3:8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
In the context of trials I was more thinking along the line of
Phil. 3:12-14;

12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

1 Cor. 9:24-27;

24 ¶ Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.
25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.
26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:
27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

2 Tim. 4:7.

7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:

The above reveal that Paul likened his Christian walk to a race. This race however was not a race to win, but one to finish. Satan’s focus is to stop us from finishing the race. Fear is his greatest weapon, for fear negates faith, and without faith, it is impossible to please God.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
24 ¶ Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.

Are you saying that only one person endures to the end? Do you realize that many people run in a race? Are you crowned for just finishing?

I think you should watch track and field events to get a better understanding here.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fear is his greatest weapon, for fear negates faith,

where do you think the spirit of fear comes from?

2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Romans 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Both your faith and the trying (trial) is precious. I do tend to agree with those who say it's your faith that is more precious than gold. However, let's not undersell the trial. Like gold and precious stones, they must be refined. When you mine for gold, it isn't found in pretty bars... Even the Hope diamond wasn't all that splendid at one time, either.

These things must be refined, purged and cut to brilliance by skilled craftsmen.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you saying that only one person endures to the end?

one receiveth the prize? one body; yet there are many members. Exodus 30:31-35 And thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel, saying, This shall be an holy anointing oil unto me throughout your generations. [32] Upon man's flesh shall it not be poured (Acts 2:17), neither shall ye make any other like it, after the composition of it: it is holy, and it shall be holy unto you. [33] Whosoever compoundeth any like it, or whosoever putteth any of it upon a stranger, shall even be cut off from his people. [34] And the Lord said unto Moses, Take unto thee sweet spices, stacte, and onycha, and galbanum; these sweet spices with pure frankincense: of each shall there be a like weight : [35] And thou shalt make it a perfume, a confection after the art of the apothecary, tempered together, pure and holy:

Exodus 30:36 And thou shalt beat some of it very small, and put of it before the testimony in the tabernacle of the congregation, where I will meet with thee: it shall be unto you most holy.

1 Corinthians 12:20-26 But now are they many members, yet but one body. (One who receives the prize)21] And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you. [22] Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary: [23] And those members of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness. [24] For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that part which lacked: (Exodus 30:36) That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another. [26] And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it.James 5:13-14 Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms. [14] Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

Last edited:

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Philippians , from Wuest Expanded Greek New Testament:

Philippians 3:4ff

"Although as for myself, I [as a Jew] could be having confidence also in the flesh. If, as is the cse, anyone else presumes to have come to a settled persuasion, trusting in the flesh, I could occupy that place, and with more reason;
eight days old in circumcision, my origin form Israelitish stock, belonging to the trive of Benjamin, a Hebrew from true Hebrew parents [i.e.m, not a Hellenist], with reference to the LAW, a Pharisee, with regard to zeal, persecuting the Church, with reference to that kind of righteousness which IS IN THE LAW, become BLAMELESS.

But whatever things were to me a gainful asset, these things I have considered a loss when it comes to my acquisition of Christ, and still so consider them. Yes, indeed, therefore, at least, even I am still setting all things down to be a loss for the sake of that which excels all others, my knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord which I have gained through experience, for whose sake I have been caused TO FORFEIT ALL THINGS, and I AM STILL COUNTING THEM DUNG, in order that Christ I might gain, yes, in order that I might in the observation of others be discovered BY THEM to BE IN HIM, not having as my righteousness that righteousness which is of the LAW, but that righteousness which is through FAITH IN CHRIST, that righteousness which is FROM GOD ON THE BASIS OF FAITH, Yes, for His sake I

have been caused TO FORFEIT ALL THINGS, and I count them but dung, in order that I might come to know Him in an experiential way, and to come to know experientially the power of His resurrection and a joint=participation in His sufferings, being brought to the place where my life will radiate a likeness to His death, if by any means I might arrive at the goal, namely, the out-resurrection from among those who are dead.

Not that I already made acquistion or that I have now already been brought to that place of absolute spiritual maturity beyond which there is no progress, but I am pursuing onward if I may lay hold of that for which I have been laid hold of by Christ Jesus.
Brethren, as for myself, as I look back upon my life and calmly draw a conclusion, I am not counting myself yet as one who has in an absolute and complete way laid hold [of that for which I have been laid hold of by Christ Jesus]; but one thing:
I, in fact, am forgetting completely the things that are behind, and am stretching forward to the things that are in front; bearing down upon the goal, I am pursuing on for the prize of the call from above of God which is in Christ Jesus.

As many therefore AS ARE SPIRITUALLY MATURE [in a relative sense], let us be constantly of this mind. And if , AS IS THE CASE, in anything you are differently minded, and that, in an evil sense, this also will God reveal to you. Only one thing, so far as we have come,
let us keep our lives in the same path. Become imitators of me, brethren, and observe attentively those who conduct themselves in a manner which reflects the example which you have in us, for many are going about, concerning whom I OFTEN HAVE BEEN TELLING YOU, but now also
TELL YOU WEEPING, the enemies [they are]of the Cross of the Christ, whose
END IS UTTER DESTRUCTION, whose god is their stomach,
and that which they esteem to be their glory is their shame, who 'regard the things'* upon the earth.

*(have not given them up)
"