The Twelve Tribes of Israel

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

keras

Writer of Bible study guides
Mar 18, 2014
New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Reuben: from Leah, The Lord has seen my humiliation, but now my husband will love me. Genesis 29:32-35
Simeon: from Leah, The Lord, hearing that I am unloved, has given me this son also.
Levi: from Leah, My husband will love and keep me, because I have borne him three sons.
Judah: from Leah, Now I will praise and revere the Lord.
Dan: from Bilhah, God has given judgement for me. Genesis 30:6-23
Naphtali: from Bilhah, I have struggled with my sister and I have won.
Gad: from Zilpah, I have won and good fortune has come.
Asher: from Zilpah, Happiness has come, all will call me happy.
Issachar: from Leah, God has rewarded me, because I gave my maid to my husband.
Zebulon: from Leah, God has given me a precious gift. Now my husband will honour me because I have presented him with six sons.
Joseph: from Rachel, God has taken away my humiliation.
Benjamin: from Rachel, Son of the right hand. Genesis 35:18
Also there are the sons of Joseph by Asenath, a daughter of Potiphera. They were blessed by Jacob and given his name of Israel.
Manasseh: Forget the bitterness of the past.
Ephraim: Double fruitfulness.

There have been reams written about the meaning of Jacob’s son’s names and the order of their listings. We know there is significance with this, because nothing in the Bible is without some meaning and assistance for our understanding.
Here is the great redemption story, that can be seen from this amazing sequence of names:
In the order of birth:
Those who see the Son, [Reuben] hear [Simeon] and obey Him, are joined with Him. [Levi] They will praise and revere the Lord, [Judah] who judges. [Dan] For those who fight and prevail, [Naphtali] fortune [Gad] and happiness [Asher] is their reward [Issachar] and He will honour those, [Zebulon] whose reproach has been taken away and they shall be included as sons [Joseph] along with the Son of His right hand. [Benjamin]
In the order of Revelation 7:5-8:
I will praise the Lord, [Judah] for He has looked on me, [Reuben] and good fortune comes. [Gad] Happy am I, [Asher] because my striving to keep faith [Naphtali] allows me to forget my trials. [Manasseh] God hears me, [Simeon] and has joined me to Him. [Levi] He has paid the price for me, [Issachar] and my Lord will honour me. [Zebulon] God will add me [Joseph] to the Son of His right hand. [Benjamin]

Regarding Ephraim: he received a greater blessing from Jacob, Genesis 48:17-20 and his descendants were generally the leaders of the 10 Northern tribes. Hosea 13:1
Psalm 108:8 God says: Ephraim is My helmet and Judah My sceptre.
Jeremiah 31:20 Ephraim is still a dear son to Me, I will again act kindly toward him.
Hosea 11:8-9 How can I give you up…I shall not turn and destroy Ephraim.
Hosea 12:8 Ephraim says: Surely I have become rich, with all my wealth I avoid sin.
From the historical, archaeological, linguistic and heraldic records, combined with how the prophesies of Jacob, of Moses; Deut. 33:13-17 and others, have been fulfilled, it is evident that Ephraim and Manasseh are today represented by the British Commonwealth and the U.S.A. They are comparatively wealthy nations; they have a Christian heritage, but have largely fallen away from the faith. They think their riches and power will keep them safe, but the Lord will test them and only those who ‘fight against sin and prevail’, who ‘revere and obey Him’, will ‘obtain the honour’ of being ‘added as sons’ to the ‘Son of God’s right hand’. Jeremiah 30:1-11, Hebrews 12:5-6, Jeremiah 5:26, Ezekiel 20:38

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014
keras said:
Reuben: from Leah, The Lord has seen my humiliation, but now my husband will love me. Genesis 29:32-35
Simeon: from Leah, The Lord, hearing that I am unloved, has given me this son also.
Levi: from Leah, My husband will love and keep me, because I have borne him three sons.
Judah: from Leah, Now I will praise and revere the Lord.
Dan: from Bilhah, God has given judgement for me. Genesis 30:6-23
Naphtali: from Bilhah, I have struggled with my sister and I have won.
Gad: from Zilpah, I have won and good fortune has come.
Asher: from Zilpah, Happiness has come, all will call me happy.
Issachar: from Leah, God has rewarded me, because I gave my maid to my husband.
Zebulon: from Leah, God has given me a precious gift. Now my husband will honour me because I have presented him with six sons.
Joseph: from Rachel, God has taken away my humiliation.
Benjamin: from Rachel, Son of the right hand. Genesis 35:18
Also there are the sons of Joseph by Asenath, a daughter of Potiphera. They were blessed by Jacob and given his name of Israel.
Manasseh: Forget the bitterness of the past.
Ephraim: Double fruitfulness.

There have been reams written about the meaning of Jacob’s son’s names and the order of their listings. We know there is significance with this, because nothing in the Bible is without some meaning and assistance for our understanding.
Here is the great redemption story, that can be seen from this amazing sequence of names:
In the order of birth:
Those who see the Son, [Reuben] hear [Simeon] and obey Him, are joined with Him. [Levi] They will praise and revere the Lord, [Judah] who judges. [Dan] For those who fight and prevail, [Naphtali] fortune [Gad] and happiness [Asher] is their reward [Issachar] and He will honour those, [Zebulon] whose reproach has been taken away and they shall be included as sons [Joseph] along with the Son of His right hand. [Benjamin]
In the order of Revelation 7:5-8:
I will praise the Lord, [Judah] for He has looked on me, [Reuben] and good fortune comes. [Gad] Happy am I, [Asher] because my striving to keep faith [Naphtali] allows me to forget my trials. [Manasseh] God hears me, [Simeon] and has joined me to Him. [Levi] He has paid the price for me, [Issachar] and my Lord will honour me. [Zebulon] God will add me [Joseph] to the Son of His right hand. [Benjamin]

Regarding Ephraim: he received a greater blessing from Jacob, Genesis 48:17-20 and his descendants were generally the leaders of the 10 Northern tribes. Hosea 13:1
Psalm 108:8 God says: Ephraim is My helmet and Judah My sceptre.
Jeremiah 31:20 Ephraim is still a dear son to Me, I will again act kindly toward him.
Hosea 11:8-9 How can I give you up…I shall not turn and destroy Ephraim.
Hosea 12:8 Ephraim says: Surely I have become rich, with all my wealth I avoid sin.
From the historical, archaeological, linguistic and heraldic records, combined with how the prophesies of Jacob, of Moses; Deut. 33:13-17 and others, have been fulfilled, it is evident that Ephraim and Manasseh are today represented by the British Commonwealth and the U.S.A. They are comparatively wealthy nations; they have a Christian heritage, but have largely fallen away from the faith. They think their riches and power will keep them safe, but the Lord will test them and only those who ‘fight against sin and prevail’, who ‘revere and obey Him’, will ‘obtain the honour’ of being ‘added as sons’ to the ‘Son of God’s right hand’. Jeremiah 30:1-11, Hebrews 12:5-6, Jeremiah 5:26, Ezekiel 20:38
If you study the OT, re. this subject; you will find changes to the 12 Tribe listing over time.
That's because of the sinning by prominent people in a Tribe, or en -mass; which provoked the Lord to make the changes.
The list which is of most interest (to me) is the one which pertains to the Millennial Reign of Christ on earth!
Floyd.

John S

Jun 4, 2013
Pennsylvania
keras - As I have already told you, you have forgotten about the prophecies of Jacob in Genesis 49. They tell what has happened to those Tribes today. Judah, the ONLY Tribe to maintain its identity, have remained the Jews. The rest have become Christian.

keras

Mar 18, 2014
New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
keras - As I have already told you, you have forgotten about the prophecies of Jacob in Genesis 49. They tell what has happened to those Tribes today. Judah, the ONLY Tribe to maintain its identity, have remained the Jews. The rest have become Christian.
JohnS, I fully agree with you, the House of Israel today is the Western, Christian nations. However, as we can see by just looking around, there has been a serious falling away from the faith. Church's are empty, crime and all kinds of sins are rife. We are told what God intends to do about it; Jeremiah 30:1-12 Wait for the Day! Jer. 30:23-24

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014
keras said:
JohnS, I fully agree with you, the House of Israel today is the Western, Christian nations. However, as we can see by just looking around, there has been a serious falling away from the faith. Church's are empty, crime and all kinds of sins are rife. We are told what God intends to do about it; Jeremiah 30:1-12 Wait for the Day! Jer. 30:23-24
These refs. apply to Israel!
Floyd.

John S

Jun 4, 2013
Pennsylvania
Whether the churches are empty or full is irrelevant. The Tribes of Israel cover most of the world - as God promised Abraham that they would be - as plentiful as the sand on the seashore.

keras

Mar 18, 2014
New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Floyd.
Do you mean the current inhabitants of the State of Israel? Who are Jews. Note Jer. 30:3, this prophecy applies to 'both Israel and Judah... and it surely cannot be construed as being fulfilled by those there now. Jut read verse 9; Do they 'serve the Lord their God and David their king? No,so your comment is in error.
Whether the churches are empty or full is irrelevant. The Tribes of Israel cover most of the world - as God promised Abraham that they would be - as plentiful as the sand on the seashore.
Correct, but as I state they are now mostly apostate and un Christian now. At the re-gathering they will be judged as Ezekiel 20:34-38 plainly tells us. Isaiah 10:22

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014
Floyd, on 03 Jun 2014 - 11:53 PM, said:
Floyd said:
Floyd
keras said:
Do you mean the current inhabitants of the State of Israel? Who are Jews. Note Jer. 30:3, this prophecy applies to 'both Israel and Judah... and it surely cannot be construed as being fulfilled by those there now. Jut read verse 9; Do they 'serve the Lord their God and David their king? No,so your comment is in error.
Correct, but as I state they are now mostly apostate and un Christian now. At the re-gathering they will be judged as Ezekiel 20:34-38 plainly tells us. Isaiah 10:22
No; the future Israel, post Tribulation.
The term "Israel", is collective, for all the Tribes. It has been this way since Ezra.
Floyd.

keras

Mar 18, 2014
New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Floyd, on 03 Jun 2014 - 11:53 PM, said:

No; the future Israel, post Tribulation.
The term "Israel", is collective, for all the Tribes. It has been this way since Ezra.
Floyd.
The prophets are all quite specific, in fact over 160 times they keep separate the House of Judah and the House of Israel. They will rejoin before the Return, as it is them who say: Blessed is He who comes in the Name of the Lord. They are the 'vast multitude' who gather in Jerusalem, Rev 7:9 and from whom the 144,000 are selected.
Your belief that this happens at the Return is refuted by how the New Israelites in Beulah, Isaiah 62:1-5, will choose their own leader, Jer. 30:21 and all of Ezekiel 40 to 48 tells how they will build the new Temple and settle in all of the holy Land. Only after all that is prophesied to happen, will Jesus Return for His Bride, those who have kept faithful during all the testing and then commence His Millennial reign.

Retrobyter

Oct 29, 2011
Tampa Bay, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shalom, keras.

keras said:
The prophets are all quite specific, in fact over 160 times they keep separate the House of Judah and the House of Israel. They will rejoin before the Return, as it is them who say: Blessed is He who comes in the Name of the Lord. They are the 'vast multitude' who gather in Jerusalem, Rev 7:9 and from whom the 144,000 are selected.
Your belief that this happens at the Return is refuted by how the New Israelites in Beulah, Isaiah 62:1-5, will choose their own leader, Jer. 30:21 and all of Ezekiel 40 to 48 tells how they will build the new Temple and settle in all of the holy Land. Only after all that is prophesied to happen, will Jesus Return for His Bride, those who have kept faithful during all the testing and then commence His Millennial reign.
Ummmm.... no. Sorry, bro', but that's not quite right according to the Scriptures:

Zechariah 6:12-13
12 And speak unto him, saying, Thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, saying, Behold the man whose name is The BRANCH; and he shall grow up out of his place, and HE shall build the temple of the LORD:
13 Even HE shall build the temple of the LORD; and he shall bear the glory, and shall sit and rule upon his throne; and he shall be a priest upon his throne: and the counsel of peace shall be between them both.
KJV

John S

Jun 4, 2013
Pennsylvania
Except for the Tribe of Dan, 12,000 from each Tribe - first born males who don't lie and who have never had sexual relations - will be "holy" enough to be chosen to be members of the Elect. The members from the Tribe of Judah will be Jewish and the other 132,000 will be Christian.
It will not be their fault if many of the other people from those Tribes believe in false doctrines like the Pre-Trib Rapture.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
John S said:
Except for the Tribe of Dan, 12,000 from each Tribe - first born males who don't lie and who have never had sexual relations - will be "holy" enough to be chosen to be members of the Elect. The members from the Tribe of Judah will be Jewish and the other 132,000 will be Christian.
I have considered that as well ..... but whoever they are (Israelis or Christians) nobody can identify them , they themselves do not even know (yet)

John S said:
It will not be their fault if many of the other people from those Tribes believe in false doctrines like the Pre-Trib Rapture.
How can pre-trib rapture be false .... right after the sealing , the Christians are with Jesus

.... Rev 7:3 (do not harm until the 144,000 are sealed)
.... Rev 7:9 (great multitude before the Lord)
.... Rev 7:14 (taken out of the tribulation)

THEN comes wrath (harm) upon EVERYBODY on earth
(except for the 144,000 sealed)
(and not the Christians) ( they are no longer on earth)

John S

Jun 4, 2013
Pennsylvania
Arnie Manitoba said:
I have considered that as well ..... but whoever they are (Israelis or Christians) nobody can identify them , they themselves do not even know (yet)

How can pre-trib rapture be false .... right after the sealing , the Christians are with Jesus

.... Rev 7:3 (do not harm until the 144,000 are sealed)
.... Rev 7:9 (great multitude before the Lord)
.... Rev 7:14 (taken out of the tribulation)

THEN comes wrath (harm) upon EVERYBODY on earth
(except for the 144,000 sealed)
(and not the Christians) ( they are no longer on earth)

Jacob was able to identify them in Genesis 49.

The Pre-Trib Rapture is a false doctrine. It is NOT going to happen. When referring to the end times, the Bible and Jesus Christ Himself, talk about being deceived. If 5 million people (MY number) were to suddenly disappear, where would the deception be?
Oh - 5 million people just disappeared, that must mean that the antichrist is also here.
Sorry - That is NOT happening.

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014
John S said:
Jacob was able to identify them in Genesis 49.

The Pre-Trib Rapture is a false doctrine. It is NOT going to happen. When referring to the end times, the Bible and Jesus Christ Himself, talk about being deceived. If 5 million people (MY number) were to suddenly disappear, where would the deception be?
Oh - 5 million people just disappeared, that must mean that the antichrist is also here.
Sorry - That is NOT happening.
You should say; in your opinion.
There is much differing opinion on this subject.
Can you definitively say why you are sure of yours?
Floyd.

John S

Jun 4, 2013
Pennsylvania
As I said, the Bible, and Jesus Christ, talk about deception. In a Pre-Trib Rapture, there is NO deception - 5 million people just disappeared, so therefore the antichrist is here.
People have taken verses from the Bible and have distorted them to mean that they will be escaping from the Tribulation. No one will be escaping. Far too many Christians have been taught that they are "special" - that they will be removed from the Earth to avoid persecution and death - when no other people in the last 2000 years have avoided persecution and death - not the earliest Christians, not the Jews of the 1940's - no one.
When the antichrist arrives, the Pre-Tribbers will say - "So and so is not the antichrist because we are still here". "So and so is not the antichrist because God PROMISED us that we would be gone when he came".
What that means is that Pre-Tribbers have already been deceived - and the AC isn't even here yet - and this is EXACTLY what Satan wants.

keras

Mar 18, 2014
New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Shalom, keras.

Ummmm.... no. Sorry, bro', but that's not quite right according to the Scriptures:

Zechariah 6:12-13
12 And speak unto him, saying, Thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, saying, Behold the man whose name is The BRANCH; and he shall grow up out of his place, and HE shall build the temple of the LORD:
13 Even HE shall build the temple of the LORD; and he shall bear the glory, and shall sit and rule upon his throne; and he shall be a priest upon his throne: and the counsel of peace shall be between them both

To make out that quote to be talking about the Messiah Jesus, is a translators error, [to capitalize Branch] and a readers mistake; because verse 13 says he will ASSUME royal dignity and there will be a priest beside him, with harmony between them. R.E.B. Trans.
Jesus, when He Returns, will be both King and High priest.
Note the error of the KJV, where it says: he will be king and priest...then: counsel of peace will be between them BOTH???? Then in verse 15 Men from far away will come to work on building the Temple... NOT the current inhabitants of Israel. Therefore all this prophecy says will take place BEFORE the Return, when righteous Israel goes to live in all of the holy Land, after it is cleared and cleansed by the Psalm 83, Sixth Seal devastation.

Re the 'rapture'- Arnie Manitoba, I see you have a helicopter, you don't need a rapture? :)
Your quote from Rev 7, points up another KJV error, verse 14...they are those who have come out of the great ORDEAL...REB not the Great Tribulation, which obviously comes later as the sequence of Trumpet and vial punishments informs us. The great ordeal, that those saved people have passed through, is the Sixth Seal, Day of the Lord's wrath.

But John S, I agree with you, the 'rapture' theory is a deception that lulls Christians into thinking they just have to go to church once a week and flick the bottom of the collection plate as it passes.
What true righteous Christians should be looking forward to, is the great gathering of the Lord's people and their living in all of the holy Land in peace and prosperity. Lots of scripture confirms this scenario.
They will be at last, 'a light to the nations' and will send out 144,000 missionaries to proclaim the COMING Kingdom of Jesus.

John S

Jun 4, 2013
Pennsylvania
Dan is NOT included as having any of its members be a part of the Elect because the antichrist will come from Dan.
Jacob said that Dan would "judge" his people in Genesis 49. The Roman Empire had such a great judicial system that it was copied by Great Britain and then by the U.S.
Therefore, I believe that Dan is currently the country of Italy. So I am looking for a man from Italy - and NOT the Pope, although he MIGHT be the false prophet - but we'll see.

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014
John S said:
Dan is NOT included as having any of its members be a part of the Elect because the antichrist will come from Dan.
Jacob said that Dan would "judge" his people in Genesis 49. The Roman Empire had such a great judicial system that it was copied by Great Britain and then by the U.S.
Therefore, I believe that Dan is currently the country of Italy. So I am looking for a man from Italy - and NOT the Pope, although he MIGHT be the false prophet - but we'll see.
The anti-Christ is stated to be an Assyrian by Scripture.
the following is a short extract from the full text; the rest can be read by the Link which follows:

[SIZE=14pt]V.8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall (a)worship him every one whose name is not written in the (b)book of the life of the Lamb slain, from the foundation of the world.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt](a) Here is reached probably the highest point on earth (as opposed to heaven) for the beast/Satan, who now has many of the earth's population openly worshipping him directly, and via. his false messiah and false prophet, some believing that he is the true God. It is quite possible that the charade of Satan is so convincing that the established religions will accept him as Messiah (in the case of the Jews,) the risen Christ (in the case of Christendom,) and the hidden Imam (in the case of Islam.) This especially so as the beast will "hate the whore," (Rev. 17:16) and appear to destroy her, which is clearly false righteousness for the effect of drawing their large groups together. The question arises, who is this entity described as "the beast?" [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt] Antichrist: Rev.13:8. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Floyd.[/SIZE]