The will of God: What does it mean?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There is only one faculty of volition—the will—for us and for God. Nevertheless, the outputs of the volition can be categorized in different ways:

Type 0 outputs of the will of God (or more conveniently, type 0 directives): These are "desires" and "wishes". Type 0 may not be fulfilled in the space-time realm. God desires that Israel would have only Him as King. God desires that no man would divorce his wife. In 1 Timothy 2:4a, we read "[God] desires all people to be saved." Jesus said in Luke 12:49, "I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled!" and in Luke 13:34, "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing!"

Type 1: This consists of his providence, fate, God's sovereign hand over His creation, the so-called "permissive will", etc. In other words, it is everything that has transpired.

Type 2: These are doctrinal codes, righteous precepts, morals, and the Ten Commandments.

Type 3: These are God's rhema words and God's most specific will in a given instance in the vertical-horizontal reality. In Jonah 3:4, it was the type 3 directive of God that Nineveh was to be destroyed in 40 days as proclaimed by Jonah. Only 6 verses later, it was again the type 3 directive that Nineveh was to be spared of the destruction proclaimed earlier.

The types are not mutually exclusive; e.g., a directive can be both type 1 and type 3. In fact, when sin and death disappear, all directives will collapse to type 4 = type 0 = type 1 = type 2 = type 3.