What does the term "will of God" mean?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There is only one faculty of volition—the will—for us and for God. Nevertheless, the outputs of the volition can be categorized in different ways:

Type 0 outputs of the will of God (or more conveniently, type 0 directives):

These are "desires" and "wishes". Type 0 may not be fulfilled in the space-time realm. God desires that Israel would have only Him as King. God desires that no man would divorce his wife. In 1 Timothy 2:4a

[God] desires all people to be saved.
Jesus said in Luke 12:

49, "I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled!"
Luke 13:

34, "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing!"
2 Peter 3:

9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
Type 1:

This consists of his providence, fate, God's sovereign hand over His creation, the so-called "permissive will", etc. In other words, it is everything that has transpired.

Type 2:

These are doctrinal codes, righteous precepts, morals, and the Ten Commandments.

Type 3:

These are God's most specific will in a given instance in the vertical-horizontal reality. In Jonah 3:4, it was the type 3 directive of God that Nineveh was to be destroyed in 40 days as proclaimed by Jonah. Only 6 verses later, it was again the type 3 directive that Nineveh was to be spared of the destruction proclaimed earlier.

The types are not mutually exclusive; e.g., a directive can be type 1 and type 3. When sin and death disappear, all directives will collapse to type 4 = type 0 = type 1 = type 2 = type 3.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does the term "will of God" mean?

I would say Gods Will is Gods Desire.

Glory to God,
Taken

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The theology books I've seen typically combine the Type 1 and Type 3 wills, i.e. "what transpires" includes both God's "permissive will" (what He allows) and His "active will" (what He does Himself). I haven't seen the Type 2 will defined as you have done, since the commandments effectively reflect His Type 0 desires.

One of the books tried to map the type 1/3 wills to the Greek word βούλομαι and the type 0 to the Greek word θέλω, but from what I've seen, that doesn't work.

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The will of God is many things and very complex, I think it's best to ask him thru the Holy Spirit in any circumstance we are to encounter.

The will of God is the redemption and eternal life of man and convincing the sinner to repent.

The will of God is to cast off the dust from your feet to those that won't hear the Gospel message.

The will of God is also the destruction of the wicked after patience in long suffering of enduring their crimes against God as determined and carried out by God.

The will of God is far too vast to discuss. As it involves the creation of the Universe.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The will of God does not depend on what other creatures think, say or do.

When God created the earth and everything on it, he declared as GOOD everything He created, so his will was done.

Gen. 1:31 After that God saw everything he had made, and look! it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, a sixth day.

When He created humans He:

Gen. 1:28 (...) blessed them, and God said to them: “Be fruitful and become many, fill the earth and subdue it, and have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and every living creature that is moving on the earth.”

THAT was His purpose for them. They failed on collaborating on their own well-being, but God's will for the earth and humans is still the same and it will be fulfilled.

Is. 55:11 So my word that goes out of my mouth will be. It will not return to me without results, But it will certainly accomplish whatever is my delight, And it will have sure success in what I send it to do.

Since our Creator had a good purpose for the earth and humans, we can hope for it, and it will be GOOD (Rev. 21:3,4).

Rom. 12:2 And stop being molded by this system of things, but be transformed by making your mind over, so that you may prove to yourselves the good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The theology books I've seen typically combine the Type 1 and Type 3 wills, i.e. "what transpires" includes both God's "permissive will" (what He allows) and His "active will" (what He does Himself). I haven't seen the Type 2 will defined as you have done, since the commandments effectively reflect His Type 0 desires.
Thanks for the info. I tend to be more precise in my definitions.

One of the books tried to map the type 1/3 wills to the Greek word βούλομαι and the type 0 to the Greek word θέλω, but from what I've seen, that doesn't work.
Right, in this case, the meanings of original words overlap and are ambiguous.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Read the Thread title. Commented.
Do you think this is a good way to start a debate? Please read the content of my OP before responding to it next time. Please don't waste other people's time by responding to an OP without even reading it. Being a staff member, you should set an example.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Please remember that staff members are still members here and are allowed to post with the same freedom as everyone else. Also , you asked a question in the thread title and taken answered that , which is allowed. It has not hindered the thread from moving forward as others debated it after her post.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The will of God does not depend on what other creatures think, say or do.

When God created the earth and everything on it, he declared as GOOD everything He created, so his will was done.

Gen. 1:31 After that God saw everything he had made, and look! it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, a sixth day.

When He created humans He:

Gen. 1:28 (...) blessed them, and God said to them: “Be fruitful and become many, fill the earth and subdue it, and have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and every living creature that is moving on the earth.”

THAT was His purpose for them. They failed on collaborating on their own well-being, but God's will for the earth and humans is still the same and it will be fulfilled.

Is. 55:11 So my word that goes out of my mouth will be. It will not return to me without results, But it will certainly accomplish whatever is my delight, And it will have sure success in what I send it to do.

Since our Creator had a good purpose for the earth and humans, we can hope for it, and it will be GOOD (Rev. 21:3,4).

Rom. 12:2 And stop being molded by this system of things, but be transformed by making your mind over, so that you may prove to yourselves the good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
As said, God's will when He created humans on the planet was that the descendants of Adam and Eve would live forever and exercise adequate control of the assets that God formed for them. Humans were not supposed to get sick and die, but to live happily and forever on earth turned into a paradise. That is still God's purpose, and it will be fulfilled through the kingdom of his Son, Jesus, who will bring humanity to the conditions that were established since creation.

Psal. 37:10 Just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more;
You will look at where they were,
And they will not be there.
11 But the meek will possess the earth,
And they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace.

God does not want anyone to die, but rather that we all come to know Him and take His side, teach others what He intends to do through Jesus with the planet and humans, and help others to change their personality according to God's will and take His side, so that they can be in that new system of things that will soon be installed on our planet.

1 Tim. 2:1 First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgiving be made concerning all sorts of men, 2 concerning kings and all those who are in high positions, so that we may go on leading a calm and quiet life with complete godly devotion and seriousness. 3 This is fine and acceptable in the sight of our Savior, God, 4 whose will is that all sorts of people should be saved and come to an accurate knowledge of truth.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Except that with other regular members, I can put him on ignore myself.
Yes that is the difference, but I can’t do anything about that as I cannot put Taken on ignore for you.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you think this is a good way to start a debate? Please read the content of my OP before responding to it next time. Please don't waste other people's time by responding to an OP without even reading it. Being a staff member, you should set an example.

Being a person with Freewill, I will respond to what and when as I choose.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is only one faculty of volition—the will—for us and for God. Nevertheless, the outputs of the volition can be categorized in different ways:

Type 0 outputs of the will of God (or more conveniently, type 0 directives):

These are "desires" and "wishes". Type 0 may not be fulfilled in the space-time realm. God desires that Israel would have only Him as King. God desires that no man would divorce his wife. In 1 Timothy 2:4a

Jesus said in Luke 12:

Luke 13:

2 Peter 3:

Type 1:

This consists of his providence, fate, God's sovereign hand over His creation, the so-called "permissive will", etc. In other words, it is everything that has transpired.

Type 2:

These are doctrinal codes, righteous precepts, morals, and the Ten Commandments.

Type 3:

These are God's most specific will in a given instance in the vertical-horizontal reality. In Jonah 3:4, it was the type 3 directive of God that Nineveh was to be destroyed in 40 days as proclaimed by Jonah. Only 6 verses later, it was again the type 3 directive that Nineveh was to be spared of the destruction proclaimed earlier.

The types are not mutually exclusive; e.g., a directive can be type 1 and type 3. When sin and death disappear, all directives will collapse to type 4 = type 0 = type 1 = type 2 = type 3.
"Will of God" seems self-explanatory to me - simply "God's will."