There are more commandments in the New Testament than in the Old

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anne1

Mar 21, 2024
Scottsdale
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not sure how you reached that number, but it does seem that Jesus did make all the commandments stronger - instead of a command not to commit adultery, Jesus warned us not even to imagine it in our minds.

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
There are 1,050 in the NT and 613 commandments in the old.
For it is written, 'Therefore thou shalt love the LORD thy God, and keep HIS charge, and HIS statutes, and HIS judgements, and HIS commandments, always'

If it is a commandment, HE will start of by, "Thou shall not ........................."

Therefore, we are not to mix up between, 'charge', 'statutes', 'judgements' and 'commandments'.

They are the same in the New Testament as well.

May GOD the FATHER of our Lord Jesus Christ disciple HIS church.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are 1,050 in the NT and 613 commandments in the old.
That would depend on how you define "commandment." I believe there are ten in the Old and two in the New. What some call "commandments" I would call decrees, statutes, ordinances, and testimonies.

"You know the commandments: `Do not kill, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother.'" Mark 10:19 RSV

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
That would depend on how you define "commandment." I believe there are ten in the Old and two in the New. What some call "commandments" I would call decrees, statutes, ordinances, and testimonies.

"You know the commandments: `Do not kill, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother.'" Mark 10:19 RSV
For it is written, 'Therefore thou shalt love the LORD thy God, and keep HIS charge, and HIS statutes, and HIS judgements, and HIS commandments, always.'
The Holy Bible Scripture is clear, that the Law of Moses given by GOD to HIS people of Israel, is sufficient to govern the Temple and state. In them consist; HIS 'charge', and HIS 'statutes', and HIS 'judgement' and HIS 'commandments'. This is HIS covenant made with HIS people and they are to abide by them until HIS returns.

Same as the New Testament, that the grace and truth word/teaching of Lord Jesus Christ from GOD, is sufficient to govern the church. And all born again believers are discple from Matthew chapter 5 untill the book of Revelation. In them also consist, His 'charge', and His 'statutes', and His 'judgement', and His 'commandments'. This is HIS New Covenant in fulfillment made with HIS church, and they are to 'do' them and 'abide'by them until His return.

To conclude, we are not to distinguish shortsightedly that in these given Laws of GOD, all are considered solely as HIS commandments, when they are not.

Thank you

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If it is a commandment, HE will start of by, "Thou shall not ........................."
Those are only the negative commandments (prohibitions). There are also positive commandments, like "honor your father and mother."

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Holy Bible Scripture is clear, that the Law of Moses given by GOD to HIS people of Israel, is sufficient to govern the Temple and state. In them consist; HIS 'charge', and HIS 'statutes', and HIS 'judgement' and HIS 'commandments'. This is HIS covenant made with HIS people and they are to abide by them until HIS returns.

Same as the New Testament, that the grace and truth word/teaching of Lord Jesus Christ from GOD, is sufficient to govern the church. And all born again believers are discple from Matthew chapter 5 untill the book of Revelation. In them also consist, His 'charge', and His 'statutes', and His 'judgement', and His 'commandments'. This is HIS New Covenant in fulfillment made with HIS church, and they are to 'do' them and 'abide'by them until His return.

To conclude, we are not to distinguish shortsightedly that in these given Laws of GOD, all are considered solely as HIS commandments, when they are not.

Thank you
The Lord gave us a few commandments to follow. I think some people make things more difficult than they need to, decide it can't be done, and stop trying. Look at how the Pharisees created a law so difficult, no one could follow it.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

There are more commandments in the New Testament than in the Old​

Who wants to keep tabs? It's tougher than getting a drivers licence for flying rockets!

gordon7

Mar 21, 2023
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Country
Ireland
What a great thing for debate, whether something is a real commandment, this type of commandment, or that.

Are there more in the new, and less in the old, would it mater when we are told what matters the most, and yes it is that Jesus showed all the law was magnified and made honourable, to not only not do the wrong things, but to not think them also, to have all summed up as loving God and our neighbour as ourselves.

The law and the prophets are are to do to others the same as we seek for ourselves. All comes down to one commandment, because to do or not do to those in need, is to do or not do to Christ.

The commandment of the Father is one, for the Son of God to show that love to lay HIs life down, and it is the law fulfilled, to love our neighbour as ourselves, as this is how God loves, to command life everlasting, and HIs Son had to give us and show us how this is.

Matthew 7:12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

Matthew 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

John 12:50 And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.

Galatians 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

1 John 3:16 Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
17 But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?
18 My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.
19 And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.