This Christmas

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
261873808_10223850855852341_8422221893809172176_n.jpg

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I bought most of the grandkids and greatgrandkids sock advent calendars. can you imagine such a thing? :)

Reactions: Rita

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
1200_14__1.jpg

This year I have bought this little book which has 25 daily readings. I have also bought my very first ever Advent calendar, it contains Ferrero Rocher chocolates; so during a quiet part of the day - separate to my morning readings - I open a window, take out a chocolate and sit down to read my lovely little book and eat the choc. It's a lovely time.

But I was remembering the Advent calendars I used to buy for my children; they weren't about chocolates or gin or beauty products but each little window opened to reveal something related to the real Christmas:- a shepherd, a star, a crown etc. and the last window wouldn't reveal Father Christmas/Santa but the stable. How times have changed and the world's values krept into our sacred celebrations.

Reactions: GaryAnderson

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
From 'In the Bleak Midwinter': King's College, Cambridge:

I love King's College choir and always watch on Christmas Eve.

I watched a documentary about the choir last year and apparently the boy who will sing the first verse of 'Once in Royal David's City' which opens the live service on the radio, is not announced until just before they go live on air. Nerve wracking or what?

Reactions: farouk

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I bought most of the grandkids and greatgrandkids sock advent calendars. can you imagine such a thing? :)
I've got presents for my three children - we didn't last year - but only for grand and great grand children under 18.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Christmas did used to be much simpler and more meaningful when I was a child even though my parents weren't religious. One main present (often made by dad I now know) and a stocking.

Also all the food that we used to count as once a year treats are now available all year round so they don't have the treat value any more. Things like fresh fruit, sweets, nuts, crisps etc.

Reactions: GaryAnderson