This generation will not pass away until all these things TAKE PLACE

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
English Standard Version, Matthew 24:

34 Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.
pass away
παρέλθῃ (parelthē)
Verb - Aorist Subjunctive Active - 3rd Person Singular

take place
γένηται (genētai)
Verb - Aorist Subjunctive Middle - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 1096: A prolongation and middle voice form of a primary verb; to cause to be, i.e. to become, used with great latitude.

Strong's Greek: 1096. γίνομαι (ginomai) — 671 Occurrences

G1096 was a common word with many shades of meanings.

HELPS Word-studies:

properly, to emerge, become, transitioning from one point (realm, condition) to another.
"to become, and signifies a change of condition, state or place" (Vine, Unger, White, NT, 109).
Thayer's Greek Lexicon:

1. to become, i. e. to come into existence, begin to be, receive being
  2. to become equivalent to to come to pass, happen, of events
  3. to arise, appear in history, come upon the stage: of men appearing in public
Amplified Bible:

I assure you and most solemnly say to you, this generation [the people living when these signs and events begin] will not pass away until all these things take place.
One possible translation:

Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things would begin to take place.

Reactions: Nancy

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
English Standard Version, Matthew 24:

pass away
παρέλθῃ (parelthē)
Verb - Aorist Subjunctive Active - 3rd Person Singular

take place
γένηται (genētai)
Verb - Aorist Subjunctive Middle - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 1096: A prolongation and middle voice form of a primary verb; to cause to be, i.e. to become, used with great latitude.

Strong's Greek: 1096. γίνομαι (ginomai) — 671 Occurrences

G1096 was a common word with many shades of meanings.

HELPS Word-studies:

Thayer's Greek Lexicon:

1. to become, i. e. to come into existence, begin to be, receive being
  2. to become equivalent to to come to pass, happen, of events
  3. to arise, appear in history, come upon the stage: of men appearing in public
Amplified Bible:

One possible translation:
It's very simple, but hotly contested. It means that Jesus saw his Coming as preceded in his generation by early warning signs of Jerusalem's fall, which was referred to in Dan 9. In Dan 9, Israel was told there would be 70 Weeks, presumably of years, until Messiah would come, and be cut off. In his generation the people/army of a prince to come, ie a Roman leader would come and bring about Israel's demise. In the generation in which Messiah comes, he is cut off and both Jerusalem and the temple would be destroyed.

The building and fall of the temple was recorded in detail in OT Scriptures. It would be foolish to ignore this passage in Dan 9, predicting the fall of the temple in Jesus' generation. And yet, this interpretation is hotly contested.

My view is the majority view of the early Church Fathers. A few believed it refers to the end times. But Jesus never associated the fall of Jerusalem in his generation with his 2nd Coming. By contrast, Jesus said his Coming was not an event that would be detailed time-wise. We get ready for that event by always living for the Lord, so that not even death will be able to take us unprepared.