Was it possible for Paul to become a G96-REPROBATE?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
King James Bible, Romans 1:

28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate [G96] mind, to do those things which are not convenient.
Elsewhere, Berean Literal Bible, 1 Corinthians 9:

27 But I [Paul] batter my body and bring it into servitude, lest having preached to others, I myself might be disqualified [G96].
might not be
γένωμαι (genōmai)
Verb - Aorist Subjunctive Middle - 1st Person Singular
Strong's 1096: A prolongation and middle voice form of a primary verb; to cause to be, i.e. to become, used with great latitude.

disqualified
ἀδόκιμος (adokimos)
Adjective - Nominative Masculine Singular Strong's 96: Failing to pass the test, unapproved, counterfeit. By implication, worthless.

Strong's Greek: 96. ἀδόκιμος (adokimos) — 8 Occurrences

Was it possible for Paul to become a G96-reprobate?

Yes, he said it himself in 1 Corinthians 9:27.

Reactions: Randy Kluth

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I really take issue with the KJV authors translating ἀδόκιμος as "reprobate" in Romans 1:28 because it misses Paul's play on words with G1381 δοκιμάζω (dokimazoo, "to see fit"; see NASB translation) earlier in the same verse. As an unapologetic punster myself, I hate to see a play on words missed. "And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to an unfit mind, to do those things that are not proper" would capture Paul's wordplay better.

But yes, 1 Corinthians 9:27 does have OSAS implications.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
King James Bible, Romans 1:

Elsewhere, Berean Literal Bible, 1 Corinthians 9:

might not be
γένωμαι (genōmai)
Verb - Aorist Subjunctive Middle - 1st Person Singular
Strong's 1096: A prolongation and middle voice form of a primary verb; to cause to be, i.e. to become, used with great latitude.

disqualified
ἀδόκιμος (adokimos)
Adjective - Nominative Masculine Singular Strong's 96: Failing to pass the test, unapproved, counterfeit. By implication, worthless.

Strong's Greek: 96. ἀδόκιμος (adokimos) — 8 Occurrences

Was it possible for Paul to become a G96-reprobate?

Yes, he said it himself in 1 Corinthians 9:27.
Yes, there's a difference between the likelihood of Paul becoming "worthless" and the possibility of him becoming "worthless." God didn't choose a man He thought would fail in his mission.