Thoughts on Invocation and Benediction

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Down South here, they say, "If the Good Lord's willin' and the creek don't rise".
Reminds me of a joke.

A huge flash flood put a family on the roof of their home.
While waiting to be rescued they noticed a cap in the water floating by.
But strangely, it turned around and came back the other way.
This happened a few times before someone pointed it out.
Aunt Betty said, "Aw, that's uncle Earl." ??? "Say what?"
"He said he was going to mow the lawn today, come hell or high water."

/

• Haha
Reactions: Lambano

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Sure.
But maybe we should give it a thought.
And if we don't give it a thought, they could fall by the wayside.

The thread gives us a framework to discuss it.
Had you thought of "Pray, bless, greet." as Invocation and Benediction before?
It gives these activities some weight. A reason to not let them slip away.

You gave no response to the invocations and benedictions I quoted from the New Testament.
After you had claimed they were relics of the law and the old covenant. (not your words)

That seems completely misapplied here.

/
I didn't want to come back here, but think this needs to be said, can't get it off my mind. It is the flesh that is always trying to add to God's word and thus weigh it down instead of holding it in spirit. We shouldn't add anything to the word of God, apart from His Spirit....God doesn't need man's help. That always leads astray. There is no command or obligation given that i know of about blessing one another. Those scriptures you brought are good.....except I would say they aren't imposing an obligation on us but are illustrating what we already just tend to do naturally. I don't know how to explain this very well, but adding extra-biblical terminology and Naming things has the effect of putting the cart before the horse....it has a way of putting man/flesh in control in place of the Spirit of God. It is handling the ark with hands of flesh instead of the wooden (cross/spirit) poles...and puts to death the life of the Spirit.

I was suggesting that some of it might have been old habits from the old covenant, priestly kind of blessing, not that there was anything intrinsically wrong in it. But blessing is really just a prayer and speaking life giving words isn't it. Just from observation and experience it seems to come naturally (according to the new nature )to those who know Christ. We all tend to do it don't we......acknowledging/greeting our fellow saints, tending to say at minimum God bless you, an expression of love and because of feeling solicitous for one another's good in the Lord ( and some times or some people will be more eloquent than a simple bless you). God did say He would bless our coming in and going out. What a shame it would be to turn something that is of the Spirit and life into a dead ritual, but unfortunately this happens a lot in Christendom. Mystery Babylon has her daughters.

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't want to come back here, but think this needs to be said, can't get it off my mind.
Welcome back. We missed you.

It is the flesh that is always trying to add to God's word and thus weigh it down instead of holding it in spirit. We shouldn't add anything to the word of God, apart from His Spirit....God doesn't need man's help. That always leads astray.
Do you believe in the Trinity? God in three persons?
The word Trinity is nowhere to be found in the Bible.
As with all doctrine, it is man-made. Fleshly, I suppose you would say.

There is no command or obligation given that i know of about blessing one another.
Was greet one another with a holy kiss a suggestion?

Those scriptures you brought are good.....except I would say they aren't imposing an obligation on us but are illustrating what we already just tend to do naturally.
Aren't they there for us to model our behavior accordingly?

I don't know how to explain this very well, but adding extra-biblical terminology and Naming things has the effect of putting the cart before the horse....it has a way of putting man/flesh in control in place of the Spirit of God. It is handling the ark with hands of flesh instead of the wooden (cross/spirit) poles...and puts to death the life of the Spirit.
Extra-biblical terminology?
Like Atonement, Transfiguration, Trinity, Deity, Conversion, etc.

I was suggesting that some of it might have been old habits from the old covenant, priestly kind of blessing, not that there was anything intrinsically wrong in it.
There may be something to that. You likened "fleshly" acts to the mishandling of the ark of the Covenant.
Claiming the wood poles were crosses.

But blessing is really just a prayer and speaking life giving words isn't it. Just from observation and experience it seems to come naturally (according to the new nature )to those who know Christ. We all tend to do it don't we......acknowledging/greeting our fellow saints, tending to say at minimum God bless you, an expression of love and because of feeling solicitous for one another's good in the Lord ( and some times or some people will be more eloquent than a simple bless you). God did say He would bless our coming in and going out.
Your whole post sounds like back-peddling to save face.
Now you approve of Invocations/greetings and Benedictions/blessings, saying we do it naturally. ???
As if that means there is no need to discuss it. ???

I think what you really want is to silence me NO MATTER WHAT I SAY. !!!

What a shame it would be to turn something that is of the Spirit and life into a dead ritual, but unfortunately this happens a lot in Christendom.
Seriously?
That was NOT the point of this topic.

Mystery Babylon has her daughters.
That's mighty heavy-handed!
Suddenly biblical invocations and benedictions are the blood-thirsty Harlot?

/

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I didn't expect you
Welcome back. We missed you.

Do you believe in the Trinity? God in three persons?
The word Trinity is nowhere to be found in the Bible.
As with all doctrine, it is man-made. Fleshly, I suppose you would say.

Was greet one another with a holy kiss a suggestion?

Aren't they there for us to model our behavior accordingly?

Extra-biblical terminology?
Like Atonement, Transfiguration, Trinity, Deity, Conversion, etc.

There may be something to that. You likened "fleshly" acts to the mishandling of the ark of the Covenant.
Claiming the wood poles were crosses.

Your whole post sounds like back-peddling to save face.
Now you approve of Invocations/greetings and Benedictions/blessings, saying we do it naturally. ???
As if that means there is no need to discuss it. ???

I think what you really want is to silence me NO MATTER WHAT I SAY. !!!

Seriously?
That was NOT the point of this topic.

That's mighty heavy-handed!
Suddenly biblical invocations and benedictions are the blood-thirsty Harlot?

/
I wasn't expecting you to understand but maybe others who might read here will know what I'm trying to convey, even if expressed imperfectly.

Reactions: St. SteVen

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't expect you

I wasn't expecting you to understand but maybe others who might read here will know what I'm trying to convey, even if expressed imperfectly.
Blessings in Christ Jesus Lizbeth! I always have a greeting when I write on these boards. But the greetings are not always the same. I write these greetings not of my own accord, just as most of the words I write are not of my own accord. In my greeting to you there is a message of truth, just as in other greetings, there is a message of truth. I have found when writing on Christian boards that heeding Jesus's words, "Be as wise as a serpent and as innocent as a dove, goes a long way to prevent frustration when interacting with others. In other words, playing dumb can be wise when mixed with The Truth of The Word of God. Be encouraged.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't expect you

Yes. Hopefully other readers will chime in to help us understand.
Who knows, you might be wrong. - LOL

/

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Blessings in Christ Jesus Lizbeth! I always have a greeting when I write on these boards. But the greetings are not always the same. I write these greetings not of my own accord, just as most of the words I write are not of my own accord. In my greeting to you there is a message of truth, just as in other greetings, there is a message of truth. I have found when writing on Christian boards that heeding Jesus's words, "Be as wise as a serpent and as innocent as a dove, goes a long way to prevent frustration when interacting with others. In other words, playing dumb can be wise when mixed with The Truth of The Word of God. Be encouraged.
Thanks brother, and blessings to you.

Reactions: GTW27

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you still feeling negative about considering Invocation and Benediction as a personal practice?
I don't mean in a dogmatic way, but to be conscious to invite God into our fellowship with other believers
and to speak blessings over them as the Spirit directs. Does that still seem bad to you? If so, why?

/