Three Days

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

sniper762

Sep 5, 2007
the gospels say that jesus died and was placed in a tomb just before the saboth (friday evening). he was found to have been risen early in the morning following the sabboth (sunday morning)

1 and 1/2 days. where does three days and three nights come from?

jerryjohnson

Nov 6, 2009
the gospels say that jesus died and was placed in a tomb just before the saboth (friday evening). he was found to have been risen early in the morning following the sabboth (sunday morning)

1 and 1/2 days. where does three days and three nights come from?

Could there have been a second sabboth that week?

sniper762

Sep 5, 2007
In Israel, Passover is the seven-day holiday of the Feast of Unleavened Bread

MARK 15
42 ¶ And now when the even was come, because it was the apreparation, that is, the day before the sabbath.
43 Joseph of Arimathaea, an honourable acounsellor, which also waited for the kingdom of God, came, and went in boldly unto Pilate, and bcraved the body of Jesus.
44 And Pilate marvelled if he were already dead: and calling unto him the centurion, he asked him whether he had been any while dead.
45 And when he knew it of the centurion, he gave the body to Joseph.

MATHEW 28
1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre. IN DEALING WITH THE CRUCIFIXION AND THE RESURECTION THE BIBLE SPEAKS OF THE SABBOTH, NOT THE PASSSOVER

jerryjohnson

Nov 6, 2009
What day of the week was Christ crucified? Hint, He arose sometime early morning on the first day of the week. He was in the tomb for how many days and night? What day of the week was Christ crucified?

sniper762

Sep 5, 2007
as i have posted, the gospels say that jesus was crucified "the day of preparation, the day before the sabboth" joseph requested the body so it could be buried before the fast approaching sabboth (which begins at sunset of the seventh day (saturday) of the week. (that would be friday), i add, the end of friday, so you cant count friday as one of the days.

mary magdaline discovered him to be already risen very early in the morning of the the first day of the week, "the day after the sabboth" (that would be sunday), which the night has transpired but not yet the day (therefore you cannot count sunday as a full day)

so, do the math,,,,,,,,,,from friday evening before the sabboth until sunday morning after the sabboth= 2 nights(the night of the sabboth and the night after the sabboth) and one day (the day of the sabboth).

please explain to us how jesus was "in the earth for 3 days and 3 nights" as he prophesied.

Irish

Jan 31, 2010
The Hebrew day started at our 6:00 pm, so that will mess with your reckoning a bit. Also 3 days and 3 nights can account for any part of the whole. That's how this sort of reckoning works. He died on a Wednesday at about 3pm, laid in the tomb on the preparation day which could extend all the way up to 6pm Wednesday on gentile reckoning. So here on Hebrew reckoning we enter the 15th of nissan or lets say Wednesday at about 6pm. So basically if you can imagine Thursday starting at 6 pm on wed. You would have Thursday, Friday and Saturday being these 3 days, and if you know how this means any portion of the day he rose sometime after that. Confused yet..:)

Irish

sniper762

Sep 5, 2007
The Hebrew day started at our 6:00 pm, so that will mess with your reckoning a bit. Also 3 days and 3 nights can account for any part of the whole. That's how this sort of reckoning works. He died on a Wednesday at about 3pm, laid in the tomb on the preparation day which could extend all the way up to 6pm Wednesday on gentile reckoning. So here on Hebrew reckoning we enter the 15th of nissan or lets say Wednesday at about 6pm. So basically if you can imagine Thursday starting at 6 pm on wed. You would have Thursday, Friday and Saturday being these 3 days, and if you know how this means any portion of the day he rose sometime after that. Confused yet..:)

Irish

how do you derive at your assumption that he died on WEDNESDAY, when the scriptures plainly state that it was the day before the sabboth? the sabboth is saturday

bigape

May 22, 2008
Hello sniper762

It is great to see you desire to want to know the truth.

The explanation is, that Jesus died around Passover.
And the Old Testament tells us that there were sabbaths at the beginning and end of the Passover celebration.
--------------------------------------------------
The Lord Jesus said........
Matthew 12:40
“For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.”

This is 72 hours.....period.

God’s plan was so people like you and I, who truly want to know the truth, will see this and search the Scriptures for the answer.

Jesus died on Wednesday.

sniper762

Sep 5, 2007
Hello sniper762

And the Old Testament tells us that there were sabbaths at the beginning and end of the Passover celebration.
“For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.”

God’s plan was so people like you and I, who truly want to know the truth, will see this and search the Scriptures for the answer.

Jesus died on Wednesday.

you and many others have stated that jesus died on wednesday, but none have yet to sustanciate it with scripture. i have previously posted the scriptures that depict the time frame from his death to his reserection as app. 36 hours. if you dispute that, then please submit substanciiating scripture. thats what i go by.

jerryjohnson

Nov 6, 2009
Hello sniper762

Jesus died on Wednesday.

Doesn't Scripture say Christ was the Passover Lamb slain for us. The 15th of Nissan is Passover, The High Holy Sabbath of Israel. The lamb was slain at least one day before (Preparation Day) because no work, ie. food preparation, could take place on the Sabbath, any Sabbath. All of God's Feast Days were Sabbaths. These Feast Days were not always on the same day as the regular weekly Sabbath.

Buried in haste before sunset (our Wednesday about 6 p.m.), before the "high day" (the first day of the Feast began), our Wednesday sunset

"THE FIRST DAY OF THE FEAST" - "THE HIGH DAY" (Yom tov) - THE 15TH DAY OF NISAN.
(Our Wednesday sunset to Thursday sunset.)
THE FIRST NIGHT AND FIRST DAY IN THE TOMB.

THE SECOND DAY OF THE FEAST - THE 16TH DAY OF NISAN.
(Our Thursday sunset to Friday sunset.)
THE SECOND NIGHT AND SECOND DAY IN THE TOMB.

THE THIRD DAY OF THE FEAST - "THE (WEEKLY) SABBATH" - THE 17TH DAY OF NISAN
(Our Friday sunset to Saturday sunset.)
THE THIRD NIGHT AND THIRD DAY IN THE TOMB.

"THE FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK" - THE 18TH DAY OF NISAN
(Our Saturday sunset : "the third day" of Matt. 16:21, &c.; not the third day of the Feast.)
Thus the Resurrection of the Lord took place at our Saturday sunset or thereabouts on "the third day"; cp. "after three days" (Matt. 27:63. Mark 8:31.).

sniper762

Sep 5, 2007
your explanation sounds good and your scripture references attest to jesus' words of prophesy, but still i see no scripture that you have posted that substanciates your view. please read the scriptures that i posted and show how the gospel writers explain the 3 days that you say occurred. i see, the day "before" and the day after the sabboth. its either 1 day of sabboth(as i see it) or 7 days of the passover, as you describe.
i cannot see 3.

bigape

May 22, 2008
Hello sniper762

You have asked for scripture, and jerryjohnson did a GREAT job of showing you the Scripture.

Jerry has found the same Scriptures that I have found, and beat me to the punch in listing them. (But I don’t mind.)
I am confused though; You said.............
“.....please explain the 3 days that you say occurred.”
We did not say “3 days”, Jesus did......

But of course you know that.
So I suspect that you may have another agenda.

Or maybe I am wrong.

sniper762

Sep 5, 2007
my agenda is for the gospel scriptures relating to the crucifixion and resurection that i read over and over to acurately convince me of jesus being buried for three days. there should be no doubt and no need for speculation there. i do not listen to the traditions of men, yet seek understanding in reading god's word.

The term "Sabbath" derives from the Hebrew shabbat (שבת), "to cease", which was first used in the Biblical account of the seventh day of Creation (Genesis 2:2-3). Observation and remembrance of Sabbath is one of the Ten Commandments (the fourth in the original Jewish, the Eastern Orthodox, and most Protestant traditions, the third in Roman Catholic and Lutheran traditions). Most people who observe Biblical Sabbath regard it as having been instituted as a "perpetual covenant [for] the people of Israel" (Exodus 31:13-17), a sign in respect for the day during which God rested after having completed the Creation in six days. ; Sabbath desecration was originally officially punishable by death (Exodus 31:15).

Every reference to the sabbath is related to 1 day in 7. What makes the reference of it in the resurection story any different?

When we keep the sabbath day holy, are we to concider 1 day or several?

jerryjohnson

Nov 6, 2009
Doesn't Scripture say Christ was the Passover Lamb slain for us. The 15th of Nissan is Passover, The High Holy Sabbath of Israel. The lamb was slain at least one day before (Preparation Day) because no work, ie. food preparation, could take place on the Sabbath, any Sabbath. All of God's Feast Days were Sabbaths. These Feast Days were not always on the same day as the regular weekly Sabbath.

Buried in haste before sunset (our Wednesday about 6 p.m.), before the "high day" (the first day of the Feast began), our Wednesday sunset

"THE FIRST DAY OF THE FEAST" - "THE HIGH DAY" (Yom tov) - THE 15TH DAY OF NISAN.
(Our Wednesday sunset to Thursday sunset.)
THE FIRST NIGHT AND FIRST DAY IN THE TOMB.

THE SECOND DAY OF THE FEAST - THE 16TH DAY OF NISAN.
(Our Thursday sunset to Friday sunset.)
THE SECOND NIGHT AND SECOND DAY IN THE TOMB.

THE THIRD DAY OF THE FEAST - "THE (WEEKLY) SABBATH" - THE 17TH DAY OF NISAN
(Our Friday sunset to Saturday sunset.)
THE THIRD NIGHT AND THIRD DAY IN THE TOMB.

"THE FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK" - THE 18TH DAY OF NISAN
(Our Saturday sunset : "the third day" of Matt. 16:21, &c.; not the third day of the Feast.)
Thus the Resurrection of the Lord took place at our Saturday sunset or thereabouts on "the third day"; cp. "after three days" (Matt. 27:63. Mark 8:31.).

Mar 15:42 And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath,
Mar 15:43 Joseph of Arimathaea, an honourable counsellor, which also waited for the kingdom of God, came, and went in boldly unto Pilate, and craved the body of Jesus.
Mar 15:44 And Pilate marvelled if he were already dead: and calling unto him the centurion, he asked him whether he had been any while dead.
Mar 15:45 And when he knew it of the centurion, he gave the body to Joseph.
Mar 15:46 And he bought fine linen, and took him down, and wrapped him in the linen, and laid him in a sepulchre which was hewn out of a rock, and rolled a stone unto the door of the sepulchre.
Mar 15:47 And Mary Magdalene and Mary the mother of Joses beheld where he was laid.

Mat 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

There were two Sabbaths that week, The High Holy Sabbath (PASSOVER) and the weekly Sabbath. The First Day of the feast days were Sabbaths.

That the first day of each of the three feasts, Passover, Pentecost, and Tabernacles, was "a holy convocation", a "sabbath" on which no servile work was to be done. See Lev. 23:7, 24, 35. Cp. Ex. 12:16.

"That Sabbath" and the "high day" of John 19:31, was the "holy convocation", the first day of the feast, which quite overshadowed the ordinary weekly sabbath.

It was called by the Jews Yom tov ( = Good day), and this is the greeting on that day throughout Jewry down to the present time.

This great sabbath, having been mistaken from the earliest times for the weekly sabbath, has led to all the confusion.

sniper762

Sep 5, 2007
Mar 15:42 And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath,
Mar 15:43 Joseph of Arimathaea, an honourable counsellor, which also waited for the kingdom of God, came, and went in boldly unto Pilate, and craved the body of Jesus.
Mar 15:44 And Pilate marvelled if he were already dead: and calling unto him the centurion, he asked him whether he had been any while dead.
Mar 15:45 And when he knew it of the centurion, he gave the body to Joseph.
Mar 15:46 And he bought fine linen, and took him down, and wrapped him in the linen, and laid him in a sepulchre which was hewn out of a rock, and rolled a stone unto the door of the sepulchre.
Mar 15:47 And Mary Magdalene and Mary the mother of Joses beheld where he was laid.

Mat 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

There were two Sabbaths that week, The High Holy Sabbath (PASSOVER) and the weekly Sabbath. The First Day of the feast days were Sabbaths.

you say there were 2 saboths, why dont mark and mathew\? how do you get 3 days? as i said before, the sabboth is either 1 day or 7. if there were 2 sabboths, t would entail 2, 8 or 14 days, still not 3.

jerryjohnson

Nov 6, 2009
you say there were 2 saboths, why dont mark and mathew\? how do you get 3 days? as i said before, the sabboth is either 1 day or 7. if there were 2 sabboths, t would entail 2, 8 or 14 days, still not 3.

snip,
Read what has been said. If you don't believe it, that's your problem. I have gone as far as I am going to go, if I write twenty pages more you wouldn't read it or believe it. Some day you will see it. Might be too late then, but --