Tithes and Offerings

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cemab4y

Jan 14, 2008
Tithing is an Old Testament custom, and is not applicable to any New Testament Christian. Tithing is like circumcision (an abominable practice), and abstaining from pork. The Old Testament law was fulfilled by Jesus (I have come to fulfill the law). The state with the largest number of bankruptcies per capita is Utah! People there are tithing themselves into poverty. Modern Churches need to learn how to live within their means, and to encourage people to give what they can to the church. Churches can also run revenue-producing enterprises, just like the Mormon church.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
(cemab4y;60941)
Tithing is an Old Testament custom, and is not applicable to any New Testament Christian. Tithing is like circumcision (an abominable practice), and abstaining from pork. The Old Testament law was fulfilled by Jesus (I have come to fulfill the law). ...
Oh!
rolleyes.gif

chrissy

Nov 26, 2008
In response to someone in this forum who stated that giving to the people who teach you God's word... like to a church or a t.v evangelist. What about if you read God's word without going to church or watching an evanglistic program? So I believe the 10% that is to be given would be to people who are of need. Good judgement is required with this. Poor people for example. People who have no food or clothing. Diligence is required with tithing. As for cemab4y tithing is an absolute as would be circumcision. Malachi 4:4. And circumcision, well there is a forum on that.

ffbruce

Oct 9, 2008
I'm curious to know if there is direct Biblical support for the idea of giving your tithe wherever, and to whomever, you personally see fit.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If you look at the NT in its entirety you will find that the concept of tithing did not exist for the NT church. Giving was in three directions. One, to the apostles as they travelled as they could not earn a living whilst travelling. Two. Collections for the Jerusalem church that was going through a famine. Three, for the poor and needy.There were no offerings or collections for buildings, paid staff, or utilities.

ffbruce

Oct 9, 2008
(marksman;65008)
If you look at the NT in its entirety you will find that the concept of tithing did not exist for the NT church. Giving was in three directions. One, to the apostles as they travelled as they could not earn a living whilst travelling. Two. Collections for the Jerusalem church that was going through a famine. Three, for the poor and needy.There were no offerings or collections for buildings, paid staff, or utilities.
So there's no Scriptural support for just sending tithes & offerings wherever, whenever?

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The concept of tithing does not exist in the NT church so one cannot talk about sending tithes anywhere.

ffbruce

Oct 9, 2008
(marksman;65022)
The concept of tithing does not exist in the NT church so one cannot talk about sending tithes anywhere.
Okay, where do you find Scriptural support for sending "charitable giving" or "offerings" just anywhere individuals so choose? Anything in the NT on that?

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
What would you call taking care of the poor the widow and the orphaned or havent you read that?

ffbruce

Oct 9, 2008
(Christina;65106)
What would you call taking care of the poor the widow and the orphaned or havent you read that?
Where is the Scripture that says to send/give them money?And why the snotty attitude?

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
(ffbruce;65108)
Where is the Scripture that says to send/give them money?And why the snotty attitude?
Doesn't sound "snotty" to me.

ffbruce

Oct 9, 2008
(tomwebster;65142)
Doesn't sound "snotty" to me.
"...or haven't you read that." She could just as well have thrown in the appropriate emoticon.
rolleyes.gif
Still, I can't help but notice that there is no Scripture provided to support these positions.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
It was a question, out of shock and surprise ... because I couldn't believe that you had made the first statement I was replying to claiming to be a minister as you do and not knowing the reason for tithing quite amazed me. The method of pay may have changed, as our society changed from farming, herding ect. to cities and employment by business's ect. But the reason for tithing never changed. A church should exist for only for the reason to teach the Word of God and do his work, that work is the poor the needy, the sick .....for you to ask a question ... where does it say give the poor,needy money astounded me.That is the same as saying no one can do good works or help the needy with money for their own soul...but must give it to a church so it alone can decide who gets what and how ... That is pharisee thinking why Jesus turned over the money tables .. If anyone puts their church before the Lord and walking in his waysYou better re-evaluate your priorities.

ffbruce

Oct 9, 2008
(Christina;65197)
It was a question, out of shock and surprise ... because I couldn't believe that you had made the first statement I was replying to claiming to be a minister as you do and not knowing the reason for tithing quite amazed me. The method of pay may have changed, as our society changed from farming, herding ect. to cities and employment by business's ect. But the reason for tithing never changed. A church should exist for only for the reason to teach the Word of God and do his work, that work is the poor the needy, the sick .....for you to ask a question ... where does it say give the poor,needy money astounded me.That is the same as saying no one can do good works or help the needy with money for their own soul...but must give it to a church so it alone can decide who gets what and how ... That is pharisee thinking why Jesus turned over the money tables .. If anyone puts their church before the Lord and walking in his waysYou better re-evaluate your priorities.
I think you should stop lecturing me, and provide me a Scripture that tells Christians to send money - whenever and wherever, and individually - to those we perceive to be in need.The fact that I keep asking you for a Scripture, that you cannot provide, SHOULD indicate to you that I know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. It just could be you that isn't following...Your horrible contempt for pastors, and churches (something you always seem to wrongly associate as being a building), is causing you to not be able to see the obvious.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
The fact you do not even know what a tithe was/is for deserves no answer the fact I said if one puts a church before the Lord and walking in his way is lecturing you shows that you must be guilty I was making a statement based in Biblical teaching something you seem to not be able to comprehend.Your asking for a scripture to support supporting/helping those lets fortunate than ourselves ...If that wasnt so sad ...it would be a joke.

ffbruce

Oct 9, 2008
(Christina;65207)
The fact you do not even know what a tithe was/is for deserves no answer the fact I said if one puts a church before the Lord and walking in his way is lecturing you shows that you must be guilty I was making a statement based in Biblical teaching something you seem to not be able to comprehend.Your asking for a scripture to support supporting/helping those lets fortunate than ourselves ...If that wasnt so sad ...it would be a joke.
The FACT? How dare you be so arrogant as to say something like that? For your information, I have preached whole sermon series on Tithes & Offerings. What would you like to know about each?Your inability to provide a Scripture to back up your opinion shows to me that your opinion is just that - opinion.Are you this openly disrespectful in person too? :naughty:

chrissy

Nov 26, 2008
The OT is where to start for this topic. I'll direct you to Numbers. Read about where tithes should go and how they are spread amongst Israel and the tribes, as well as the priests. Giving you verse for verse of what is said would be time possibly wasted. When you should look yourselves. That's if you really wanted to know. So this dispute should be at rest if the knowledge is found.

ffbruce

Oct 9, 2008
(chrissy;65209)
The OT is where to start for this topic. I'll direct you to Numbers. Read about where tithes should go and how they are spread amongst Israel and the tribes, as well as the priests. Giving you verse for verse of what is said would be time possibly wasted. When you should look yourselves. That's if you really wanted to know. So this dispute should be at rest if the knowledge is found.
Don't bother.I just want you to provide Scripture to back up your opinion about giving money to needy, as every individual sees fit.Besides, if you're going to use the OT Tithes as your pattern, you better be giving your money to the local synagogue. And that's not going to work very well, because I'm going to call you out on trying to "have it both ways."So... the Scripture, please?

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I was making a statement based in Biblical teaching and walking in the way of Jesus ChristHow dare you come here claiming to be Christian and asking why we believe we are not to help the poor and needy and sick the less fortunate. May God be your judgeChrissy is exactly right it is an OT teaching

Status
Not open for further replies.