To deliver such an one...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Purity

May 20, 2013
Melbourne
“To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the Spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.” 1 Cor. 5:5).

The meaning of this is to be gathered from the context.

There was a certain offender against righteousness in the midst of the Corinthian ecclesia—(1 Cor 5:1,2,3). The ecclesia were not dealing properly with the case: They were disposed to shield the offender. Paul rebukes them and gives his judgment in the case in verses 1 Cor 5:4,5.

“To deliver such an one to Satan” was to hand him over to the adversary—the unbelieving world outside—to exclude him in fact from fellowship.

This is proved by the wording of verse 1 Cor 5:13. “Put away from among yourselves that wicked person.”

But perhaps your difficulty refers to the “destruction of the flesh,” and the “saving of the Spirit.”

Some have thought it meant the destruction of the offenders “flesh,” and the saving of the offender’s “spirit.” This cannot be in view of the argument used for expulsion: namely, “a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.”

Paul’s anxiety was that the ecclesia might be kept pure. The removal of the offender was the destruction of the flesh from their midst, that the Spirit in their midst, that is those who walked after the Spirit, might be saved in the day of the Lord.

As to 1 Tim 1:20—(“Hymenæus and Alexander, whom I, Paul, have delivered unto Satan”), the meaning is that Paul, by his authority as an apostle, had cut them off, which was an emphatic form of withdrawal.

Of course, it would make no sense at all to hand a disobedient believer over to a demonic creature for their benefit. :unsure:

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014
Now that you have placed all that disagree with your non Biblical teaching into the category of "fools"; will you now help the "fools" to understand your deep and special understanding of the Holy Bible (God's Word); which you have special access to; so that we can benefit from your wisdom!

Your past comments state:

You do not accept the Deity of the Lord Jesus Christ.
You deny the Deity of the Holy Spirit.
You do not accept that the "shema" is reference to The compound entity; Godhead
You deny the existence of Satan.
You deny Satan tempted Eve.
You assert that only your interpretation of Scripture is valid!

This is profoundly tedious heresy; (why don't you complain to the management?)

I ask again; despite your weasel words and attempt to slide side ways by blaming all and sundry for your own devious avoidance of your own teachings;

Purity, on 24 May 2014 - 01:04 AM, said:
Purity said:
If only you had 39 books to support your notions but you haven't one.
I only need one; The Bible!

It states clearly that God is Father, Son, and Holy Spirit; which is where your apostasy is!
Watching your weasel words is like reading Gen..and Satan's words to Eve; "surely thou shalt not die"!
Ahh. but of course; you don't believe in Satan do you?
That means he never tempted Eve!
That means in your "theology" God introduced temptation and evil!???
That of course would not hold water! So where now your theology?

You say you "praise God regularly"; that means (if you tell the truth), that you "worship in spirit and in truth ( Jhn.4:23-24), unless the "one" you worship, is one of those that Jesus warned would be evident (false Christ's).
You said in an earlier post that you treat the Holy Spirit in the same way as Christ Jesus; ie deny their Deity!
In that case; you cannot "worship in spirit and in truth"; as "God is Spirit"!???
Floyd.

Purity

May 20, 2013
Melbourne
Among them are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan to be taught not to blaspheme. 1 Tim 1:20

Pauls use of adversary here is sublime.

How can Satan a demonic creature teach these men not to blaspheme?

Unless Paul is referring here to the world in general. That these men may feel the separation from the body of Christ and repent of their ways.

P.

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
Purity said:
Among them are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan to be taught not to blaspheme. 1 Tim 1:20

Pauls use of adversary here is sublime.

How can Satan a demonic creature teach these men not to blaspheme?

Unless Paul is referring here to the world in general. That these men may feel the separation from the body of Christ and repent of their ways.

P.
Here is an example of reading a sentence and putting one's own words into it. Paul did not say that a demonic creature was going to teach anyone not to blashpeme. What he said was that his handing them over is what will teach them. It is an act of chastening, as also the op mention of 1Cor.5:5.

Our parental version of this would be to put a child in his room for a so called quiet time. This is about correction by way of putting someone in harm's way to chasten them for their offense. An equivalent is when Jesus told the men who were in sexual immorality that He would put them in great tribulation unless they repented from their deeds (Rev.2:20-22). Picture them not comlying and winding up in trouble for a while until they decide that they'd had enough. This is chastening. Paul's wording is not the same as Jesus but his intention is exactly the same.

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014
williemac said:
Here is an example of reading a sentence and putting one's own words into it. Paul did not say that a demonic creature was going to teach anyone not to blashpeme. What he said was that his handing them over is what will teach them. It is an act of chastening, as also the op mention of 1Cor.5:5.

Our parental version of this would be to put a child in his room for a so called quiet time. This is about correction by way of putting someone in harm's way to chasten them for their offense. An equivalent is when Jesus told the men who were in sexual immorality that He would put them in great tribulation unless they repented from their deeds (Rev.2:20-22). Picture them not comlying and winding up in trouble for a while until they decide that they'd had enough. This is chastening. Paul's wording is not the same as Jesus but his intention is exactly the same.
Good and clear Willie!
Floyd.

Purity

May 20, 2013
Melbourne

This does nothing to explain how handling someone to Satan - how do you do that will? Do you give him a call on the mobile? Do you arrange a place in some dark alley for an exchange?

Not making fun here though it may be perceived so...serious questions for the Christian to answer.

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014
Purity said:
This does nothing to explain how handling someone to Satan - how do you do that will? Do you give him a call on the mobile? Do you arrange a place in some dark alley for an exchange?

Not making fun here though it may be perceived so...serious questions for the Christian to answer.
How do hand someone over to Satan; according to you ,he does not exist!!!???
Floyd.

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
Purity said:

Would you have asked these same questions to Paul? I think that the wording may well be a bit confusing for some. Was Paul arranging a meeting with Satan? Obviously not. Was he cursing anyone? I don't think so. But obviously there was an aspect of authority involved whereby Paul was able to administer this unusual consequence. Personally, I am reluctant to over-analyze it. But it says what it says. And the part that is the most compelling to me was the purpose in it....." so that his spirit may be saved...." There is redemption in Paul's purpose. I don't think that Satan would have been a willing partner in this. No, I think this is merely a matter of letting the present course this person was on, to continue down its dark path, a path that is in Satan's territory.

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
Purity said:
Yes, I can see why.
I noticed Randor left it alone also.
HuH? what? Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh i'm tired.....off to work...........we will play later.... :p

God Bless...........stay balanced :)

Purity

May 20, 2013
Melbourne
smileys-fish-793750.gif
I love fishing...more of men ;)

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
Purity said:
smileys-fish-793750.gif
I love fishing...more of men ;)
Purity...that looks like a carp....................and ya know what they eat don't cha................that's right........... crap....
So hey...the men you fish for......... fall for your crap..........then..............................FISH ON :)

I couldn't help myself...............actually that was the first thing that came to mind :) Don't get me wrong....I love the smiley faces...and that was a cool one :) actually I think this site needs a little upgrading to more smiley faces.

So sir Purity................now you're telling us about satan....dang dude....you had me convinced he didn't exist two weeks ago...

So.......ya just read what Paul did.......................and you....think....nah...........that couldn't of happened that way....

Madad21

Boast in Christ
Dec 28, 2013
Purity said:
Yes, I can see why.
I noticed Randor left it alone also.
Mate I dont get you,
Willie here was trying to have a civil debate with you, and then you turn around and say something like this.
you owe him an apology. :(

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
Yo....Purity.............I know you must think the majority of the Christians around the world must be brain dead...i sure would.

Just curious.....I know ya don't think Jesus is God and all.....

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm but why does the majority?

And it seems like they have way way way before you and I were even thought of.

But then...........a hand full of people come along and say He isn't.

And they come up with all this off the wall stuff trying to convince people that Jesus isn't God.

They could be in their 20's 30's 60's.....it's like they have found something new under the sun.

Just curious that's all......................somewhere, some how, someplace.....you're missin this trinity thing.

It's like there is a door shut to this..................

Remember..........the bible is met for a very small youth to understand...........and on his own...and with not one teaching from man.

I no many................and i mean many people who have given their life to Christ by just reading the word.....
and they never come up with what these other religions talk about. Never.

I knew a warlock..........25 years ago..........took the bible out to the desert...sat in his van..............searching for the truth....thank God no man teaching got to his head before hand.

4 nights later...YeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

TRINITY TIME................HMMMMMMMMMM HE GOT, WE GET IT.....THE MAJORITY GETS IT.....

shturt678

Feb 9, 2013
South Point, Hawaii (Big Island)
Thank you folks for caring!

ICor.5:5 Let's think more in terms like the "Kingdom of Christ" and the "kingdom of Satan." To deliver over the Satan means negatively to expel from Christ's Kingdom and positively to relegate to Satan's kingdom.

By his crime and his impenitence the man placed himself into Satan's power, ie, not in his person of Satan as Satan had a problem at the Cross.

Old Jack trying to stay in the Kingdom of the Godman Christ.

Reactions: RANDOR

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014

Jack; I don't think you need fear that you are not!
From what I have seen you love the Lord, and accept Who He is!
Differing on prophetic detail does not preclude one from the love and salvation of God in Christ Jesus our Lord!
Floyd.

shturt678

Feb 9, 2013
South Point, Hawaii (Big Island)
Floyd said:

Jack; I don't think you need fear that you are not!
From what I have seen you love the Lord, and accept Who He is!
Differing on prophetic detail does not preclude one from the love and salvation of God in Christ Jesus our Lord!
Floyd.
Thank you again for your response!

I have more of a fear of agreeing with you as you're my main sparring partner. You give me a run for my money.

Partners in Christ,

Old Jack