To get the most from your Bible reading:

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ask yourself these questions:
What does this tell me about Jehovah God?

How does this section of the Scriptures contribute to the Bible’s message?

How can I apply this in my life?

How can I use these verses to help others?

“Your word is a lamp to my foot, and a light for my path.”
Psalm 119:105

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Robert Gwin
Has God limited Himself in the spread of His knowledge? The only limit God put on Himself was by allowing you and me to choose to travel our own way instead of His Way. This is what men call free will. It allows ultimately only two choices that matter: God's Way or Not.

The discernment and/or understanding of the differences between them [God's Way or Not] comes from outside of the Book, the Bible, via the Holy Spirit.

We can choose God's Way which requires us to lean on Him and hear what He saying. The Holy Spirit is to provide Life to what we have consumed [read in or heard from the Book/Bible]. There is potential in the Book/Bible because it was written by men as they were inspired by God.

The potential only comes to Life in people who allow themselves to be led. This leading occurs as a result of the same inspiration in you or me from the same source [God]. The source is not the Book/Bible itself. The source is God.

People have wrong messages and/or mixed messages from their Bibles, I believe, because they quench the Holy Spirit in them and follow themselves or other men... even when the Bible is used.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I get more out of these forums then reading the bible by myself. I understand more now because of being on forums. I would get lost and take things out of context when reading alone or hearing it from church. That and my mind wonders when I'm reading chapter after chapter.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Robert Gwin
Has God limited Himself in the spread of His knowledge? The only limit God put on Himself was by allowing you and me to choose to travel our own way instead of His Way. This is what men call free will. It allows ultimately only two choices that matter: God's Way or Not.

The discernment and/or understanding of the differences between them [God's Way or Not] comes from outside of the Book, the Bible, via the Holy Spirit.

We can choose God's Way which requires us to lean on Him and hear what He saying. The Holy Spirit is to provide Life to what we have consumed [read in or heard from the Book/Bible]. There is potential in the Book/Bible because it was written by men as they were inspired by God.

The potential only comes to Life in people who allow themselves to be led. This leading occurs as a result of the same inspiration in you or me from the same source [God]. The source is not the Book/Bible itself. The source is God.

People have wrong messages and/or mixed messages from their Bibles, I believe, because they quench the Holy Spirit in them and follow themselves or other men... even when the Bible is used.

I am going to have to disagree with you to a degree Amad. You are very well correct, proper understanding is revealed to God's people via holy spirit, as well as the words of the Bible. The Bible is God's words via holy spirit in other words, and is the only source of truth, and settles all matters about God. Obviously anyone who strays from it's teachings, does not have holy spirit sir, rather just their own opinion. The Bible is God's word and has the final say among Christians.

Reactions: David in NJ

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am going to have to disagree with you to a degree Amad. You are very well correct, proper understanding is revealed to God's people via holy spirit, as well as the words of the Bible. The Bible is God's words via holy spirit in other words, and is the only source of truth, and settles all matters about God. Obviously anyone who strays from it's teachings, does not have holy spirit sir, rather just their own opinion. The Bible is God's word and has the final say among Christians.
That Christians do disagree in spite of their Bibles is a major problem I see. Too many people who do consume the flesh of Jesus never have it properly interpreted and/or quickened within them by the Holy Spirt. Too much the old man of people leading them instead of the new man!

That you disagree on this point is not surprising to me. Many believers of various groups do disagree with me on it. I see it as a reason why so many "believers" continue to sin and apparently also do not grow toward God. I see it as a reason why there are now a multitude of churches, denominations or sects claiming to be followers of Christ but opposing one another, sometimes sharply, in doctrines.

Have a blessed day my friend and brother in Christ!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That Christians do disagree in spite of their Bibles is a major problem I see. Too many people who do consume the flesh of Jesus never have it properly interpreted and/or quickened within them by the Holy Spirt. Too much the old man of people leading them instead of the new man!

That you disagree on this point is not surprising to me. Many believers of various groups do disagree with me on it. I see it as a reason why so many "believers" continue to sin and apparently also do not grow toward God. I see it as a reason why there are now a multitude of churches, denominations or sects claiming to be followers of Christ but opposing one another, sometimes sharply, in doctrines.

Have a blessed day my friend and brother in Christ!

Actually Amad, Christians are in the oneness of the faith, and speak in agreement. Those who stray from the Bible's teachings, are actually just professed Christians sir. Eph 4:13; 1 Cor 1:10; Jn 4:24

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually Amad, Christians are in the oneness of the faith, and speak in agreement. Those who stray from the Bible's teachings, are actually just professed Christians sir. Eph 4:13; 1 Cor 1:10; Jn 4:24

YES, and the counterfeit faith is so close now that only by knowing the Truth and the Truth knowing you, can one discern.

Therefore, if you do not have the Holy Spirit but have only Bible knowledge, you are not His = Matthew 25:1-13

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Always my friend there are communication problems. The definition of the word Christian in one person's or one group's mind is not the same as everyone else's. Until all definitions of all words used are precisely the same how well are they comunicating?

The Bible contains the word, Christian, but the definitions used for that belong to men, do they not?

What does the Bible say? The Bible does not speak. A person speaks from his mind or heart using his own words with his own definitions to express his understanding to someone else of what is written in the Bible... Quite often it will disagree with what other sincere people believe and understand.

It is not the Bible, in any version or translation or language that interprets even though we often hear people say that the Bible interprets itself. Even in this little discussion we are not really communicating with absolute accuracy because we do not completely and accurately know what the other person is saying. We certainly agree in part, but could that not also be so in our agreement with God?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
YES, and the counterfeit faith is so close now that only by knowing the Truth and the Truth knowing you, can one discern.

Therefore, if you do not have the Holy Spirit but have only Bible knowledge, you are not His = Matthew 25:1-13

Amen to that David. Isn't it wonderful that Jehovah left no doubt as to how He wants us to serve Him? As Jesus said, the time has come that people will worship God with spirit and truth Jn 4:23,24

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Always my friend there are communication problems. The definition of the word Christian in one person's or one group's mind is not the same as everyone else's. Until all definitions of all words used are precisely the same how well are they comunicating?

The Bible contains the word, Christian, but the definitions used for that belong to men, do they not?

What does the Bible say? The Bible does not speak. A person speaks from his mind or heart using his own words with his own definitions to express his understanding to someone else of what is written in the Bible... Quite often it will disagree with what other sincere people believe and understand.

It is not the Bible, in any version or translation or language that interprets even though we often hear people say that the Bible interprets itself. Even in this little discussion we are not really communicating with absolute accuracy because we do not completely and accurately know what the other person is saying. We certainly agree in part, but could that not also be so in our agreement with God?

It is very true that none of us have absolute truth, but the serious doctrines are easily understood through the Bible. If one recognizes the fact that the Bible is God's word, and also realizes that as such it cannot contradict itself, then one has a head start to understanding. If they see a passage that contradicts, then they realize it is their understanding that is in error, so an honest Christian will pursue it further to understand. True not all things are understood at this time, but simple things such as who God is, is very clearly understood.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen to that David. Isn't it wonderful that Jehovah left no doubt as to how He wants us to serve Him? As Jesus said, the time has come that people will worship God with spirit and truth Jn 4:23,24

YES, the LORD, Yehovah did say that - Amen

Fill your heart, mind and soul with His Word, Who was in the Beginning with God and was God.

You are My witnesses,” declares the LORD,
“and My servant whom I have chosen,
so that you may consider and believe Me
and understand that I am He.
Before Me no god was formed,
and after Me none will come,
I, yes I, am the LORD,

and there is no Savior but Me.
I alone decreed and saved and proclaimed—
I, and not some foreign god among you.
So you are My witnesses,” declares the LORD,
“that I am God.

Acts 1:8 - The LORD speaking to those who will believe Him:
But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you, and you will be My witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Before Me no god was formed,
and after Me none will come,
I, yes I, am the LORD,

Do you SEE this friend???

Pierac

Nov 15, 2021
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ask yourself these questions:
What does this tell me about Jehovah God?

How does this section of the Scriptures contribute to the Bible’s message?

How can I apply this in my life?

How can I use these verses to help others?

“Your word is a lamp to my foot, and a light for my path.”
Psalm 119:105

We can't help putting our worldview in scripture as we read... for example take the Lords prayer... Jesus said pray in this way...

Mat 6:9 "Pray, then, in this way: 'Our Father who is in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. 'Your kingdom come. Your will be done, On earth as it is in heaven. 'Give us this day our daily bread. 'And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. 'And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil. [For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.]' "For if you forgive others for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. "But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions.

So if a loved one is dying... Do we pray God's will be done, or do we pray for deliverance from death, or both?

What if it's God's will to take your loved one? Do you pray to keep your child/parent/spouse alive or pray that Gods will be done even if it takes your loved one... Remember, Jesus said pray in this way!

Do we trust God is love and knows best? This would be tough love prayer in action!!!

Paul

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is very true that none of us have absolute truth, but the serious doctrines are easily understood through the Bible. If one recognizes the fact that the Bible is God's word, and also realizes that as such it cannot contradict itself, then one has a head start to understanding. If they see a passage that contradicts, then they realize it is their understanding that is in error, so an honest Christian will pursue it further to understand. True not all things are understood at this time, but simple things such as who God is, is very clearly understood.
Some of your words are quite good as I see it. I will not stand hard here against any differences. They are in God's hands as we are in God's hands... if we want to be. Anyone truly seeking God will receive all that he really needs. Who but God knows all that is needed?

May God richly bless you, my friend!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We can't help putting our worldview in scripture as we read... for example take the Lords prayer... Jesus said pray in this way...

Mat 6:9 "Pray, then, in this way: 'Our Father who is in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. 'Your kingdom come. Your will be done, On earth as it is in heaven. 'Give us this day our daily bread. 'And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. 'And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil. [For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.]' "For if you forgive others for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. "But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions.

So if a loved one is dying... Do we pray God's will be done, or do we pray for deliverance from death, or both?

What if it's God's will to take your loved one? Do you pray to keep your child/parent/spouse alive or pray that Gods will be done even if it takes your loved one... Remember, Jesus said pray in this way!

Do we trust God is love and knows best? This would be tough love prayer in action!!!

Paul

Hi Paul, God's will can be found at 2 Peter 3:9 which says: Jehovah is not slow concerning his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with you because he does not desire anyone to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance. Death came to all humans because of the sin of Adam, not because of God's will.

The Lord's prayer is just as it was intended to be an instructional prayer, teaching his disciples how to pray, and what the content should be like. Other prayers are also found in the Bible for our instruction. John 17 is a good example as well, a prayer by Jesus our mentor. Obviously if you had a sick loved one it would be very appropriate to pray for them, in fact something I find strange that you may not know is, that it is proper even to pray for the kings of the earth. I find that extremely interesting as when Jesus returns they will battle him. 1 Tim 2:1,2

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some of your words are quite good as I see it. I will not stand hard here against any differences. They are in God's hands as we are in God's hands... if we want to be. Anyone truly seeking God will receive all that he really needs. Who but God knows all that is needed?

May God richly bless you, my friend!

Would you like to discuss any differences we might have Amad. The Bible certainly has the answers.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would you like to discuss any differences we might have Amad. The Bible certainly has the answers.
Thank you, no! I have several frying pans already on the fire and am at the moment overwhelmed. At another time perhaps.

Pierac

Nov 15, 2021
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Paul, God's will can be found at 2 Peter 3:9 which says: Jehovah is not slow concerning his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with you because he does not desire anyone to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance. Death came to all humans because of the sin of Adam, not because of God's will.

The Lord's prayer is just as it was intended to be an instructional prayer, teaching his disciples how to pray, and what the content should be like. Other prayers are also found in the Bible for our instruction. John 17 is a good example as well, a prayer by Jesus our mentor. Obviously if you had a sick loved one it would be very appropriate to pray for them, in fact something I find strange that you may not know is, that it is proper even to pray for the kings of the earth. I find that extremely interesting as when Jesus returns they will battle him. 1 Tim 2:1,2

I understand... I was trying to show that we should pray for God's will to be done... even if we don't want his will to be so....

Mat 26:39 And He went a little beyond them, and fell on His face and prayed, saying, "My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; yet not as I will, but as You will."

Paul

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand... I was trying to show that we should pray for God's will to be done... even if we don't want his will to be so....

Mat 26:39 And He went a little beyond them, and fell on His face and prayed, saying, "My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; yet not as I will, but as You will."

Paul

You know Paul you made a very interesting and truthful statement, very likely everyone you know and the majority of people on the earth have said that prayer, and truthfully do not want it to happen. So many say those words not actually realizing what they are petitioning God for. All of us Christians want it of course, but we realize that the transformation of it happening is something we would rather avoid. But Jehovah will give us what we need to survive it's coming, and the hardships of it will soon be forgotten in that wonderful promised paradise Kingdom coming. Perhaps I will see you there sir.

Reactions: Pierac