Tongues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are they for everybody?

Yes, they are for everybody. However, there are two different manifestations of tongues. One is for us all individually, yet does not require interpretation found in Mark 16:16-18 - not no interpretation listed. The other is actually performed in an office of the Church by those with that office. And it MUST be accompanied by interpretation of tongues by someone with the accompanying office. That is why in verse 1 Corinthians 12:30 is shows that not everyone has these offices of the Church for the profit of all.

Another difference between the two tongues is the direction. The individual tongues are TO God. And the office receives messages FROM God for the profit of all, and MUST be interpreted.

Unfortunately, they are not believed in by many people and that binds them in chains of unbelief to the point that the gift is there but not operational. Not unbelief in Christ, but in the gifts. So even though they may have the power of the Holy Spirit and are born again with a nature that hates sin, they miss out on all that God has for them. But they are still saved. Another problem with this unbelief, it spreads to the other gifts, the best gifts. The main ones I operate in are the hearing gifts. I can hear God's voice and am able then to walk in the Spirit, and understand the spiritual interpretation of His Word.

cc: @Tong2020

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There are different types of tongues.
Ok so I did say it right.... LOL... There are different kinds of tongues...

AND.... just to clarify.... I am not saying this is NOT a gift... but it is an abused gift in my opinion... due to the WEIGHT that many denominations lay upon it's necessity and importance... ALL the gifts are OF the Spirit... and they are given to those who need them.

Reactions: Truman

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So even though they may have the power of the Holy Spirit and are born again with a nature that hates sin, they miss out on all that God has for them.
This is the problem right here..... a born again believer does NOT miss out on all God has for them. This is NOT TRUTH.

Anyways... I will let you guys chew this topic out.... Have fun y'all.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok so I did say it right.... LOL... There are different kinds of tongues...

AND.... just to clarify.... I am not saying this is NOT a gift... but it is an abused gift in my opinion... due to the WEIGHT that many denominations lay upon it's necessity and importance... ALL the gifts are OF the Spirit... and they are given to those who need them.

Mark 16:16-18 are given to all believers. (Note, no interpretation is listed, nor necessary to operate in.)
1 Corinthians 12 are to whom the Spirit gives them for the profit of all and are the "better gifts."

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is the problem right here..... a born again believer does NOT miss out on all God has for them. This is NOT TRUTH.

Yes, they do. The worst problem is misinterpreting scripture.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, they do. The worst problem is misinterpreting scripture.
You just accused a great many Christians on MISSING out on gifts that God has.... If you believe that... then that is on you. I don't believe it.
This is yet another issue of raising oneself up over others.... Seems that many Christians like to do that.
God is the giver of ALL THINGS... I lack NOTHING.... and I do not speak in tongues. I am not going to argue with you.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

@Addy Since Pentecost, the believer in the Lord Jesus has been indwelt by the Holy Spirit (Acts 2)... :)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes, I have kind of left it in the Lords hands for quite some years now……as a lone Christian for so long I figured if I started speaking in tongues they might have actually locked me up !
Hi @Rita Nothing wrong with concentrating on the Scriptures, right? :)

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That’s right. Sorry about that. I was not really referring to that as tongues. So, sorry if that post seems to not really be about the topic. I don’t why I got myself making that post. It was just spontaneous as I read @Addy ’s post. Please just ignore it.

Tong
R4573
I appreciate your response, brother. No harm done. It's a very controversial subject. :)

Reactions: BarneyFife

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ve never spoke in tongues but I have heard multiple people talk in tongues and it all sounds like a familiar language.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I’ve never spoke in tongues but I have heard multiple people talk in tongues and it all sounds like a familiar language.
The gift of tongues has helped me in many ways. Perhaps you should talk to Him about it.

Reactions: Mantis

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It's all good with me.... LOL.... I'll be working on forgiveness because someone ATE my cookie.

and that's the point I think... speaking in tongues is NOT prayer language.... That is a separate thing from the biblical speaking in tongues.
Is that not the mis-understanding?? or am I wrong??
... and this is not even talking about whether the gifts are active today.... Leave it to someone to add that layer.... LOL
I like how you said, "I think."

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
It's all good... I love you in Christ my DEAR DEAR brother... You and I are BLESSED to have connected in a special way.
I love you too dear sister. I was responding to a post in another thread that is why this delayed reply.

Yes we are blessed.

Tong
R4575

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prove they are not for everybody...you can't. Just like I can't prove they are for everybody. Don't believe me? Prove me wrong! Lol
It's a good test for how someone approaches the Bible. Do all speak in tongues, the apostles asks. Rhetorical question, the answer is no, not all do.

What sort of proof do you think there should be?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, they are one of the gifts and the gifts are given by The HolySpirit ….i can not speak in tongues and at one time felt very ‘ lower ‘ down than other Christians who have claimed that I should be able to speak in tongues. It caused me to doubt so any things at one time, now I am open to the gift, but value the gifts I have been given xx
Rita
Ditto.

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy and Rita