Touch me not..

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
Just wanted to bring this up so red_letter 88 could look at what has already been said on this subject.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
yeah I see what you were saying setfree I did check it last night an quote N2 but his after his post seemed we got off topic seems to happen alot around here
smile.gif

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
(DrBubbaLove;39975)
i notice no one gave the traditional view of this verse.
What is the traditional view?

DrBubbaLove

Jan 17, 2008
In tradition, no one ever speaks of multiple ascensions of Our Lord. The Ascension occurs 40 days after this conversation with Mary. Most of the ancient commentaries on this verse consider that her attitude towards Him was not correct. She was happy to see Jesus again, wanted to be in the presence of that "man", wanted everything to be just like it was before and still saw Him as that Man rather than Who He really is, that He equal to God. Jesus could see this in her heart and admonishes her for that attitude. That was the traditional understanding of why He told her not to touch Him. There was never any distinction in time or sequence (of ascension or ascensions) between this appearance and all the others. They saw no need to suppose He appears here to her on His way to the Father then returns almost immediately to appear to others. He later clarifies His status as witnessed by His disciples and included in all the Gospel accounts. So in clarifying who He is (going to sit next to -right hand -ie same level-equal to the Father) it is a little bit of a kind admonition that she was not approaching Him in the correct manner.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Ill agree that it doesnt speak of mutiple asentions but then it doesnt have to But that doesnt mean there wasnt I agree he did not take his seat at the right hand of God until later but it makes perfect sense that he tells Mary do not slow me down Now I asend to my father. Then spends the next days finishing up his ministery to prove he was resurected and did not die. Before taking his place at the right hand of God.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Im closing this thread as we have two threads on the exact same thing so lets take this conversation to the other thread so we dont have to ask and answer two threadsSetfree Im going to try moving your question to the other thread if it doesnt work please repost it Heres the link to the thread that continues this subject http://www.christianityboard.com/ascension...40002#post40002

Status
Not open for further replies.