Traders and Investors

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, in fact I was hoodwinked about six months ago with a certain cryptocurrency investment. I was told its value would increase exponentially coming up, and it was being promoted as the next Ethereum. Half a year has passed, and this crypto coin lost half the value I bought it as earlier, but it’s recouped a bit. Fortunately I only invested $400 in it, so I didn’t lose much.

I’m thinking I fell for a pump-and-dump scheme. Watch out for these. It’s best to stick to index funds and reliable mutual funds, in my opinion.
The thing I dislike about cryptocurrency is that despite my research I have no idea exactly what it is I am investing in.

When I buy a oil, I know. Gold, I know... Target, Walmart, Amazon... They are retail and that I know... Some others here like copper, lithium and construction companies... Again, I know what it is and what they do to make money. Even Berkshire Hathaway and JP Morgan (while being very diversified and pretty complicated), I can figure out what they are doing to make money. My favorite is bonds and ETFs. Those can be complicated but you can read their plan and understand how they intend to make money. Bonds are loans... ETFs are packaged "variety packs" with a lot of different companies which you can see in the report.

But crypto... I've never been able to understand it. Granted, I am new and even as a newbie I am probably behind average investing intelligence, but I am not going to invest in something I can't comprehend.

Except The Lord. I don't comprehend everything about him, but I understand him enough to trust him. If he tells me to invest in crypto, I'll do it... But until then...

Last edited:
Reactions: Josho

Moonstone Eterni

Mar 15, 2022
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The thing I dislike about cryptocurrency is that despite my research I have no idea exactly what it is I am investing in. When I buy a oil, I know. Gold, I know... Target, Walmart, Amazon... They are retail and that I know... Some others here like copper, lithium and construction companies... Again, I know what it is and what they do to make money. Even Berkshire Hathaway and JP Morgan (while being very diversified and pretty

You make an excellent point: Cryptocurrency is so volatile that investing in it is every bit as “wise” as investing tens of thousands of dollars in a roulette wheel spin. It could land on the color you selected, and you instantly made a ton of money—or it could land on the other color, and you lose everything just as quick.

My opinion is that index funds are the best investment. Their portfolios track indexes like the S&P 500 or Nasdaq, all of which are safe, stable investments with high returns (like a steady 10% or 11% a year). You won’t get incredibly rich with them, but you can still make good money with enough invested.

Reactions: Josho and FHII

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You make an excellent point: Cryptocurrency is so volatile that investing in it is every bit as “wise” as investing tens of thousands of dollars in a roulette wheel spin. It could land on the color you selected, and you instantly made a ton of money—or it could land on the other color, and you lose everything just as quick.

My opinion is that index funds are the best investment. Their portfolios track indexes like the S&P 500 or Nasdaq, all of which are safe, stable investments with high returns (like a steady 10% or 11% a year). You won’t get incredibly rich with them, but you can still make good money with enough invested.
Yeah, well results may very on that 10-11%. I got some ETFs that are at 4% over the last year and some as high as 29%. Yet, I haven't profitted because I haven't followed the rule: "time in, not timing". That needs to stop!

Good post!

Moonstone Eterni

Mar 15, 2022
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, well results may very on that 10-11%. I got some ETFs that are at 4% over the last year and some as high as 29%. Yet, I haven't profitted because I haven't followed the rule: "time in, not timing". That needs to stop!

Good post!

Check out this one and let me know your opinion: FXAIX - Fidelity ® 500 Index Fund | Fidelity Investments

The graph shows a $10,000 investment in this index fund would be worth nearly $40,000 over the last ten years.

I’m young and don’t really have much money to invest. But once I’ve succeeded well in life and have plenty of cash for the future, I’m opening an account with Fidelity and will invest in most of their stock index funds (but not the international ones, which seem more volatile with sub-standard returns). You can see at all of their index funds here: Fidelity Funds - Mutual Funds from Fidelity Investments (Click where it says “index”)

Reactions: FHII

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes, in fact I was hoodwinked about six months ago with a certain cryptocurrency investment. I was told its value would increase exponentially coming up, and it was being promoted as the next Ethereum. Half a year has passed, and this crypto coin lost half the value I bought it as earlier, but it’s recouped a bit. Fortunately I only invested $400 in it, so I didn’t lose much.

I’m thinking I fell for a pump-and-dump scheme. Watch out for these. It’s best to stick to index funds and reliable mutual funds, in my opinion.

Don't know if you saw the pump and dump on silver start of last year, but wow, silver stocks went up heaps for one day and then got dumped back the next and value went crashing back down.

Also a nickel-cobalt stock exploring land in Europe was pumped last year, IPO was something like 20c, it opened at like 80c on the first day, rocketed to $3.60 on the same day, currently around $1.44, but it did bottom out at 66.5c a couple of weeks ago.

Regular people definitely do get hurt by these pump and dumps though.

Moonstone Eterni

Mar 15, 2022
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't know if you saw the pump and dump on silver start of last year, but wow, silver stocks went up heaps for one day and then got dumped back the next and value went crashing back down.

Also a nickel-cobalt stock exploring land in Europe was pumped last year, IPO was something like 20c, it opened at like 80c on the first day, rocketed to $3.60 on the same day, currently around $1.44, but it did bottom out at 66.5c a couple of weeks ago.

Regular people definitely do get hurt by these pump and dumps though.

I hear you. My experience listening to those cryptocurrency “experts” on TV and the internet showed me their real expertise is misleading people into bad investments and getting rich in the process. Maybe they will get investigated, but it seems like there are so many of these fake investment experts out there that it is unlikely any punishment will happen.

Reactions: Josho

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I hear you. My experience listening to those cryptocurrency “experts” on TV and the internet showed me their real expertise is misleading people into bad investments and getting rich in the process. Maybe they will get investigated, but it seems like there are so many of these fake investment experts out there that it seems unlikely any punishment will happen.

Some of these "experts" also got lucky and were in early, and then tell everyone once they have made over 1000%, by then it's usually too late.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Check out this one and let me know your opinion: FXAIX - Fidelity ® 500 Index Fund | Fidelity Investments

The graph shows a $10,000 investment in this index fund would be worth nearly $40,000 over the last ten years.

I’m young and don’t really have much money to invest. But once I’ve succeeded well in life and have plenty of cash for the future, I’m opening an account with Fidelity and will invest in most of their stock index funds (but not the international ones, which seem more volatile with sub-standard returns). You can see at all of their index funds here: Fidelity Funds - Mutual Funds from Fidelity Investments (Click where it says “index”)
Sounds good. I looked at the website briefly... Year to date they are down 5%, but that shouldn't scare you as everything is. We are only in March and its been rough.

You are young... Pick a plan after researching it and stick with it. You will do well. The one thing I would advise a young investor other than that is not to get into debt. I am not talking about borrowing for a car or house.... We need to unless you have the cash to buy them outright. But don't run up the credit cards and furniture loans! If you make 10% on the market but pay 24% in loans... You are losing!

Moonstone Eterni

Mar 15, 2022
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds good. I looked at the website briefly... Year to date they are down 5%, but that shouldn't scare you as everything is. We are only in March and its been rough.

You are young... Pick a plan after researching it and stick with it. You will do well. The one thing I would advise a young investor other than that is not to get into debt. I am not talking about borrowing for a car or house.... We need to unless you have the cash to buy them outright. But don't run up the credit cards and furniture loans! If you make 10% on the market but pay 24% in loans... You are losing!

Yeah, I struggled to pay off $1,800 in debt from a credit card. I wanted a new top-of-the-line gaming PC but didn’t have the money to pay for it at the time, so I stupidly and ignorantly signed up for a credit card. Biggest financial mistake ever! Those cards feel like loansharking except it’s all legal.

Reactions: FHII

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Haven't checked, but if so its about the only thing that has gone up recently..

Got a feeling things won't be drastically changing soon.