"Tradition" in Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have doubts about the definition (redefinition) of what Paul termed "tradition" as put forth by these groups.

Premises :

1. Which authorities did Paul cite to establish doctrine? I seem to remember "as it is written". Scripture was paramount to Paul's doctrine, and it should be to ours as well.
2a. The Torah is capable of condemning all manner of evil works "or whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine" 1 Timothy 1:9-10--a negative iteration, I assert, of the following positive :
2 Timothy 3:14-17
"But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work."
The Scripture equips for every good work.
2b. "God wouldn't make His will, His instructions, known in His Word." Would you agree with this statement, or wouldn't it be absolutely bizarre if He would not have communicated His will in His inspired Word?
God makes His will known in His Word.​

Conclusion: if Scripture both equips for every good work and condemns every evil work--these both being true of Scripture, being twin realities, of course, would make perfect sense--then "tradition" could not add to Scripture.​

Problem : Paul refers to a (nebulous) "tradition" to which we are to adhere. The ambiguity of this term I believe the Orthodox and Catholics abuse, seizing upon it as an opportunity to add all manner of un-Scriptural requirements (both beliefs and works) which they claim are "necessary"--variously, to be considered "Orthodox", not "heterodox", or even "saved", etc.

On "tradition" :
First, we have an explicitly "spoken word" tradition (Paul mentions two "categories" into which "tradition" may fall--"either by our spoken word or by our letter") which was later transmitted in a "letter"--ie, never was it thought prohibited to put "spoken word" traditions into "writing" nor vice versa (there was no intentionally hidden treasury of "spoken word" traditions).
Now, this is also the only "spoken word" tradition (explicitly expressed as such) we have later committed to a "letter"--show me if there is another, since I'm interested in knowing--so this is a rare opportunity we have to study and determine the nature of "tradition".

2 Thessalonians 3
6Now we command you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you keep away from any brother who is walking in idleness and not in accord with the tradition that you received from us. 7For you yourselves know how you ought to imitate us, because we were not idle when we were with you, 8nor did we eat anyone’s bread without paying for it, but with toil and labor we worked night and day, that we might not be a burden to any of you. 9It was not because we do not have that right, but to give you in ourselves an example to imitate. 10For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat. 11For we hear that some among you walk in idleness, not busy at work, but busybodies. 12Now such persons we command and encourage in the Lord Jesus Christ to do their work quietly and to earn their own living.d

So, the tradition transmitted (by word and deed) to the Thessalonians was that of never eating anyone's bread without paying for it, but working night and day, so as not to be burdensome, and was intended to preempt idleness. Ultimately, there was even a command issued in order to keep people in step with the tradition : "If anyone is not willing to work let him not eat."

So, the question is : does this tradition add to Scripture? Are Christians who look primarily to Scripture for their "teaching in righteousness" lacking without this "spoken word" "tradition" which was later committed to "writing"?

No, I would argue, they are not.

This "tradition" could be established independent of Paul--from Scripture alone--for it is nothing more than a reiteration of Genesis 3:19.

"Tradition", from this perspective, then, resembles that of the Jews' and their "halachot" (authoritative rulings on how to practically live the Scriptures out)--no surprise, I guess, since Paul was himself a Pharisee Acts of the Apostles 23:6.

Now, is it just by coincidence the same Greek word (παράδοσιν--paradosin) describes the "traditions" of the Pharisees (the ones Christ denounced) Matthew 15:1-9? Certainly, the Pharisees's "traditions" were wrong, but the intent is what is of import--the intent of their "traditions" was that they would live the Scriptures (where God had expressed His will for them) out.

I assert, then, that Paul's "traditions" were authoritative rulings on how to live the Scriptures out--therefore, "tradition" does not add to Scripture, which "equips us for every good work".

Last edited:

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tradition

handed down

revealed

delivered

example:

1 cor 11:23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:

even scripture or epistle can be part of tradition

2 Thessalonians 2:15
Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and holdthe traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

the ambiguous tradition you are referring to is the authority to teach

Jesus Christ is the head of the church, (eph 5:23) the body of Christ,
(col 1:18) the new and eternal covenant, (pre-figured Jer 31:31) (Heb 8:8) new covenant replaces the Mosaic covenant, (Heb 8:13) holy mother church replaced Israel Matthew 21:43 Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.
Christ replaces David as king, (Lk 1:32-33) Jesus Christ is the only mediator between God and men, (1 Tim 2:5 & Heb 12:24) but a mediator remains on earth mediating between God and His people, but Christ ascended to heaven, (acts 1) before He did He founded His church, on Peter, and the apostles, and their successors!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 2:42 acts 8:31 & 35 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 16:13
Jn 20:21-22 eph 2:20

We must be taught by Peter, the apostles, and their successors! Lk 10:16 Matt 28:19 Jn 21:17 Jn 16:13 acts 2:42

Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Lk 1:4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

Acts 8:30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?

31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

Col 2:7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.

The obedience of faith!

Rom 1:5 By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name.

Taught the one true faith revealed by Christ to His apostles! Eph 4:5 Jude 1:3

We are not commanded to read and make doctrine for ourselves but obey those who God puts in authority to teach the Christian Faith!

Keys of authority! And power to bind and loose! Matt 16:18 and Matt 18:18

Moral authority:
(Teaching)
Necessity of being taught by Christ:
Two edge sword: defining truth and condemning errors, and Interpreting scripture.

Jurisdictional authority:
(Governing / administering)
Necessity of Peter and the apostles and their successors to govern the holy church.

Spiritual authority:
(Life of Grace)
Sanctifying thru the mass and Sacraments

Authority of the Apostles

Jesus Christ even shares His role as just judge with the apostles!

Matthew 19:28
And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.