Traditions of Man

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

manichunter

Jun 2, 2008
Actually Scripture gives witness to both uses of tongues..... Speaking in foreign languages and heavenly languages...... However, I do believe they serve to separate purposes. And yes some have gone to far by bambling. I have spoken in tongue numerous times, often speaking ancient laguages that I could not understand, but is was still a stucture language with rules of grammer. Bambling is not speaking a coherent language..............

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(DONNIE;53038)
1 Corinthians 141Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy. 2For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit.IMHO you are wrong. Why do away with one of the gifts of god?
Talking to me? If so, I think you are not getting my point. Of course no one understands a person if the hearer doesn't know the language they are speaking, therefore like scripture says, it needs interpreter.I don't understand my mom's home language, because it is not my home language, it is a foreign language. My home language is English, although English is not my mother's home language...

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
The traditions of men are started because they can not understand spiritual things. So they twist the scriptures so they can understand with there mind. Corinthians 2 12:15: We teach not in the way in which philosophy is taught but in a way that the Spirit teaches us. We teach spiritual things spiritually. An unspiritual person is one who does not accept anything of the Spirit of God because he sees it all as nonsense. It is beyond his understanding because it can only be understood by means of the Spirit. A Spiritual man, however, is able to judge the value of everything.Why do you think Satan has taken this one gift...tongues...and divided so many? I believe he knows there is something to it. Those that manifest the tongues also know there is something to it....that is why no one can convince an unbeliever(in tongues) that it exist. There is a stronghold that can only be taken down by their own faith. If you do not believe you will not manifest the Holy Spirit through tongues. The tradition of men have taken this out of church.

DONNIE

Jan 29, 2008
I really wish you would make up your mind. In your post where you quoted Acts 2 they all understood. Now you say they can't understand. Did they or did they not understand? Speaking in tongues IS a gift of God. Speaking in foreign languages is not. 1 Cor 1439Therefore, my brothers, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues. 40But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way.Donnie

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
(TallMan;52994)
Yes, you need look no futher than the doctrine of salvation, given at Pentecost, but now replaced by "pray the sinners prayer", "confess the nicene creed", "give your heart to Jesus" etc and you are "saved".
On that note, make sure you also look to those who have added the speaking in tongues to the doctrine of salvation. This is a grevious misinterpretation of scripture; ergo, a doctrine of man.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(DONNIE;53043)
I really wish you would make up your mind. In your post where you quoted Acts 2 they all understood. Now you say they can't understand. Did they or did they not understand? Speaking in tongues IS a gift of God. Speaking in foreign languages is not. 1 Cor 1439Therefore, my brothers, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues. 40But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way.Donnie
You are not getting my point. *sigh* Acts 2 are completely different I Corinthians 14

DONNIE

Jan 29, 2008
No kidding. Then why did you go there when I specifically asked about Pauls references to one of Gods gifts?"Hmmmmmmm. Must have missed that part of scripture. Could you please point me in to that passage or passages where Paul refers to foreign languages as speaking in tounges."

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(treeoflife;53044)
On that note, make sure you also look to those who have added the speaking in tongues to the doctrine of salvation. This is a grevious misinterpretation of scripture; ergo, a doctrine of man.
Amen to that TOL

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Kriss;53048)
(treeoflife;53044)
Amen to that TOLAmen x 2.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
(DONNIE;53043)
Speaking in tongues IS a gift of God. Speaking in foreign languages is not.Donnie
:amen:

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Donnie you have it wrong Speaking in forgein languages is and was the gift there is no other gift Tongues just means forgein Languages it was given to the aspostels/disciples to spread the gospel around the World remember the they only spoke their local language They neeeded the gift of forgeign language to go to India africa all the other nations to preach the good news, The babble of today did not come into existance until around 1800 The greek here is glossa = Language and dialects of other nations/countriesthe Word unknown is not in the manuscript it was added by men, the babble of Today is a doctrine of men not scripture.And to everyone else dont turn this into a thread about tongues

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
By the way Donnie the difference Jag was speaking of is that on Penecost Day it was God teaching men his word, in 1 Cor. it is men teaching men Gods Word

DONNIE

Jan 29, 2008
Whatever. Your sold on your convictions and won't be swayed *sigh*Re: 1 Cor 12 It is a gift of God. You can not simply pick and choose what gifts you will accept. You have no choice in the matter. Are there any of the other gifts I should dismiss or just the one?Donnie

DONNIE

Jan 29, 2008
And... I did search the Scripture for "Babbling Tongues of today" and could find nothing. Must be a man made doctrine. All I find is the gift of tongues along with some guidelines.Donnie

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(kriss;53057)
By the way Donnie the difference Jag was speaking of is that on Penecost Day it was God teaching men his word, in 1 Cor. it is men teaching men Gods Word
Thanks Kriss for the backup.(DONNIE;53059)
Whatever. Your sold on your convictions and won't be swayed *sigh*Re: 1 Cor 12 It is a gift of God. You can not simply pick and choose what gifts you will accept. You have no choice in the matter. Are there any of the other gifts I should dismiss or just the one?Donnie
Whether one gets it or not. It is men that doesn't understand. Donnie, one scripture for you...Mark 16:15 - And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.If you don't understand...It's ok, just put it on a shelf for now...it will fit later. I just love you just the way you are...

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(DONNIE;53059)
True it is a gift but it was the gift of forgeign languages I never said different Im not picking and chosing Im saying the gift was never babbing it was forgeign language and your right I believe gods Word not mens doctrine not the gift of babbling that never existed until men invented it in 1800 its a mans doctrine that the subject of the threadNot going to argue it just stateing it is mans doctrineif you are truly interested in the language used heres a link this is the truth of scripturehttp://www.entrewave.com/view/reformedonli...%20part%205.htm

Alpha and Omega

May 11, 2008
8For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: it seems from the passage you gave these gifts are consistent with gifts that would help people. If tongues are speaking in a heavenly language who are they helping? We are told to go out into the world and preach what good does it do if I speak gibberish to people speaking German, Dutch or French? Furthermore the word "glōssa" (tongues) means, the language or dialect used by a particular people distinct from that of other nations. You are not helping anyone understand the word of God with ramblings.If we are supposed to talk in tongues (not foreign languages) why was this just discover in the 1800 shouldn't this have been know earlier?

DONNIE

Jan 29, 2008
1Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy. 2For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit.One would think that if it were a foreign langusge someone would understand. Paul said "no one understands". No one.

Craig19

Apr 26, 2008
Sigh not ANOTHER tongues debate plz!! Who cares if we believe in it or not we are all praising the same God.And Alpha just to your question on how tongues are beneficial. In my own experiance speaking in tongues has improved my relationship with God a lot. And with my relationship improved God can use me to help others more effectively, so speaking in heavenly tongues is an advantage to the speaker as well as too others. Although I find both sides have very good points its just no one who has experienced tongues have turned from it the only people against it are those you have not yet taken part in it.I have still got a lot more views but as the many previous topics have shown we are all stead fast on what we believe. So can we plz drop this debate??

Status
Not open for further replies.