Type of wine

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David323

Mar 13, 2007
I have heard new wine is basically grape juice, and other wines have alcohol. I'm not really sure about that but what kind of wine is Paul recommending for Timothy in 1 Timothy 5:23?

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
Wine is wine. It is an alcoholic wine. Not grape juice. It is health benefit to have a little wine.Love much JagLovest ye in Christ Yahshua our Lord and Saviour.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
And the key word here is "little". Don't be a lush like I once was.
biggrin.gif

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
It was grape juice. And it did ferment a little bit. So there was a small portion of alcohol. And back then, you'd have to drink a lot of grape juice to become intoxicated.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
We have been through this some where before wine is wine not grape juice it can not be called wine without fermentation. It is wine real to goodness wine. As Tim says in small amount is the key here drunkenness can lead to sin. Why do men insist upon changing Gods word to suit there own ideas/prejudice. God's word says its wine and thats good enough for me. Its wine.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
I'm with you there dear Kriss. And it's impossible to get drunk with grape juice. But alcohol gets intoxicated (if have too much) a lot quicker than that tasty grape juice. Right Kriss?
wink.gif
Wine, Wine, and let me see, IT'S WINE!Love much, JagLovest ye in Christ Yahshua our Lord and Saviour.

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
If it has no alcohol, then it's not wine. Paul told Timothy to drink a little wine for his stomach's sake. Some believe Timothy had stomach problems and that wine would help to settle his stomach. We are, of course, told not to drink to the point of being drunk. I rarely use alcohol but do occasionally, and I only drink wine. It's only 6% alcohol. Sometimes I cook with it, and the alcohol evaporates and leaves you with just the taste of the wine. It's just not something I consider a necessity, but I also don't consider it a sin as long as I don't drink enough for it to affect my judgment. I won't drive after drinking even one glass. On the occasions I drink it, I have only one glass. My glass, however, holds 12 oz.

MickinEngland

Dec 15, 2006
I've never drank wine or anything else, tried a few sips of different stuff in my teens but it all tasted like cat pee to me so I've never touched it since.You can't beat a nice glass of cold milk or lemonade..
smile.gif
Mind you some naughty women at office parties etc have tried to get me drunk now and again and I've gone along with it to be a good sport, but nothing much happened except I couldn't walk in a straight line and saw double..I also felt as if I was wrapped in cotton wool, as if my consciousness had drawn in on itself and I was only aware of my immediate surroundings, my mind no longer seemed to extend out into the wider universe..I can therefore well understand why people use booze to buffer themselves from the world and go round wearing blissful grins..
wink.gif
I didn't enjoy the experience though, and was glad to get my proper mind and consciousness back next morning..
smile.gif
Nothing wrong with booze for those who like it though, after all Jesus changed at least 120 gallons of water to wine, and it was also served at the last supper. "The next time I drink this, it'll be fresh and new with you in heaven" he told the disciples.That's me out then, I don't drink (sniffle)

David323

Mar 13, 2007
Thanks to everyone for the input. I don't like wine myself. But I do like whiskey and rum which they didnt have in Bible times. I find whiskey almost always settles my stomach when it is not feeling so good. I too don't condone getting drunk, which I have before, a long time ago. I now limit myself to 4 glasses a night and I know that much does not make me drunk. I think many people think I am sinning doing this. I don't at all however. These same people will say "oh my God" using the Lord's name in vain and sin or many other things. Well, I'll end this, I'm going off into another subject!

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
(David323;20334)
Thanks to everyone for the input. I don't like wine myself. But I do like whiskey and rum which they didnt have in Bible times. I find whiskey almost always settles my stomach when it is not feeling so good. I too don't condone getting drunk, which I have before, a long time ago. I now limit myself to 4 glasses a night and I know that much does not make me drunk. I think many people think I am sinning doing this. I don't at all however. These same people will say "oh my God" using the Lord's name in vain and sin or many other things. Well, I'll end this, I'm going off into another subject!
Be just a tad careful. 4 glasses and/or drinks a night is a little much. Tell you what I once did. I could polish off 1.75 liter of rum monthly, and maybe a glass or two here and there at family parties. 1.75 liters is 39 drinks, and I rationalized that that's only averaging more than one per day (which is not bad). However, I only drank twice, maybe at most 3 times a week meaning I downed about what you did per session.Even though that is not every day, I feel that some of my stomach problems and with my lower regions of my digestive system may be aggravated by this. Nevertheless, I know that alcohol is a clean food, specifically wine, in the Bible. So I can't condemn it per se. I think one can overdo anything, that's all I'm saying. To mention what I weigh (for comparison), I am about 190 pounds (87 kilos). If you weigh more, your body may be able to tolerate it, although I think that much is still a bit much (heavy drinking is considered 3 or more per day). I know that alcohol burns up the B vitamins so at least take more vitamins and eat properly if you continue having this much.

Tyrel

Jan 16, 2007
Drinking wine is cool, and getting drunk, as a general rule of thumb, isn't. However, getting drunk isn't always bad in itself.Food for thought; what does drunk mean? It doesn't mean lack of control, it means impairment. Any wine you drink, it will change you in some minor way. Just as anything you eat may provide you with more energy or other, which will effect how you behave. "You are what you eat", as Korney as it sounds, carries with it much truth.Now, when we get drunk, we must ask ourselves, why is this bad? Is it bad? Getting drunk, generally, is not a good thing, and certainly isn't religious in the purest and holiest sense. However, let me share with you a story;My friend has a grandfather who was in the war. He was, and remains, a devout Christian. Now, in his platoon, there were many Christians, and non-Christians alike. They were attacked by surprise and suffered many casualties. Now, in the night, many of the non-Christians were drinking to relieve themselves of the horror of having seen their friends and comrades die. Many of the Christians did not wish to do this, as they saw this act as sacrilege. He, however, partook in the drinking, being wise as he was. The next day, the men who had drunk enough to pass out, had slept and were up to the task the next day of being soldiers once again. Those, however, who did not drink, were on edge, many still shaking from the shock, and suffering from sleep deprivation. Tragically, almost all of them died.So, what use did alcohol serve here? I would say, medicinal. Much stronger drugs indeed are used everyday. Everything, and I mean everything, is a drug. Nothing is good for us if we have too much, and there is always a "too much", for everything. However, to try to draw a line is ridiculous. Everyone is different, so we can't say 'X' number of glasses. Also, some people do not show signs of drunkeness while drunk, so it can be difficult to gage. In the end, drinking is a tricky business, which requires caution and maturity. But let us not being unwise theologically and philosophically concerning drinking. To be drunk is not a sin. To become drunk by ones own volition isn't wrong necessarily. To use drunkenness to escape from life, is escapism, and is the opposite of solving problems, and being responsible.Recall what the Scriptures say:""It is not for kings, O Lemuel— not for kings to drink wine, not for rulers to crave beer, lest they drink and forget what the law decrees, and deprive all the oppressed of their rights. Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." ~ Proverbs 31:4-7Or, as the KJV puts it: "Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more."Drinking until one forgets poverty and misery.. hmm.. somebody who is miserable and poor would have to drink until drunk and/or passed out for that to happen.I'm not saying the scriptures are telling us that getting drunk is good. However, to wrap our minds in immature notions that getting drunk itself is sinful is the evil of Satan itself. We are supposed to be wise. Let us wake up, and find wisdom.well, there's my two cents. Enjoy.~Tyrel

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
I Corinthians 5:11 - But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolator, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.I Corinthians 6:9-10 - Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.Galatians 5:19-21 - Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.Love much, JagLovest ye in Christ Yahshua our Lord and Saviour.

Tyrel

Jan 16, 2007
Perhaps I should mention that I don't ever ever ever touch alcohol.I've never gotten drunk or even close to it. I don't think it's right to get drunk, speaking in the general.Don't drink wine, not at church, not at home, not with friends.Perhaps that helps make it clear where I come from.

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
(MickinEngland;20327)
I've never drank wine or anything else, tried a few sips of different stuff in my teens but it all tasted like cat pee to me so I've never touched it since.You can't beat a nice glass of cold milk or lemonade..
smile.gif

How much cat pee have you drunk to make that comparison?
rolleyes.gif
smile.gif
I agree with the milk or lemonade. I love both of them equally well. Unfortunately, having recently been diagnosed as diabetic, I can't have sugar. Artificial sweeteners don't do it for me.I disagree that alcohol doesn't cause people to lose control. I know from my own personal experience (and those of family members) that alcohol causes people to say and do things they normally wouldn't. It takes away one's inhibitions and gives us boldness we don't normally have, and it impairs our common sense.

MickinEngland

Dec 15, 2006
My late dad was a workaholic - literally - and to ease the stress of his work he used to bring booze home a couple of times a week, so I saw at first hand the effect it had on him.First of all his face would go red and sweaty, a silly grin would spread over his face and he'd start talking absolute rubbish in a childish little voice."Why's dad talking funny?" I asked my mum once. "It's the booze talking, that's all" she replied.But as the evening wore on and he got more tanked up, the grin would leave his face and be replaced by the look of the devil, eyes glaring, lips drawn back in a snarling grimace of hatred, and out would come the devil speaking through him as he said to us things like - "I wish you'd all get run over by a bus...I hate the lot of you...I never thought my son (me) would turn out as rotten as he has..." and so on..but at least he was never violent.The only good thing to come out of his behaviour was that it put me off drink for life because I could see the effect it had on him,and I didn't want to become like that through booze..
smile.gif
He died 25 years ago of liver cancer at the age of 62..PS - I happened to see this pic of Spartacus and its the exact same devilish expression my dad used to glare at me with when he was sozzled -
spart.jpg

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
I find it interesting that alcohol causes some people to become impossible to get along with and even violent, but makes others much sweeter and kind. I do know it gives us the boldness to say and do things we normally wouldn't, and also the boldness to say and do things we want to say and do but don't out of fear. Does that mean that your dad actually hated his family and could only say so when he was drunk, Mick? My dad had no problem telling me what he thought of me when he was sober and was only kind to me when he was drunk. I wish he had been drunk all the time.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Biblical Tetragramaton;20382)
Perhaps I should mention that I don't ever ever ever touch alcohol.I've never gotten drunk or even close to it. I don't think it's right to get drunk, speaking in the general.Don't drink wine, not at church, not at home, not with friends.Perhaps that helps make it clear where I come from.
It is OK to drink wine BT.I Timothy 5:23 - Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.The key word is "little". Not to get drunk.Love much, JagLovest ye in Christ Yahshua our Lord and Saviour.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
(MickinEngland;20452)
My late dad was a workaholic - literally - and to ease the stress of his work he used to bring booze home a couple of times a week, so I saw at first hand the effect it had on him.First of all his face would go red and sweaty, a silly grin would spread over his face and he'd start talking absolute rubbish in a childish little voice."Why's dad talking funny?" I asked my mum once. "It's the booze talking, that's all" she replied.But as the evening wore on and he got more tanked up, the grin would leave his face and be replaced by the look of the devil, eyes glaring, lips drawn back in a snarling grimace of hatred, and out would come the devil speaking through him as he said to us things like - "I wish you'd all get run over by a bus...I hate the lot of you...I never thought my son (me) would turn out as rotten as he has..." and so on..but at least he was never violent.The only good thing to come out of his behaviour was that it put me off drink for life because I could see the effect it had on him,and I didn't want to become like that through booze..
smile.gif
He died 25 years ago of liver cancer at the age of 62..PS - I happened to see this pic of Spartacus and its the exact same devilish expression my dad used to glare at me with when he was sozzled -
That's sad. How many drinks would he have at one time? And how many times a week was this? It sounds to me like he had dozens and dozens of drinks a week. That is definitely not good for the liver.

David323

Mar 13, 2007
There has been many intelligent thoughts on this. My dad would become violent and hateful after drinking too much. This type of person should never drink much alcohol if any ever. I should have stated earlier I limit myself to 4 glasses at a time but that is only 1-3 days per week.