Unapologetic Tears

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Monday 1-31-22 2nd. Day Of The Weekly Cycle Shevat 27, 5782 42nd. Winter

Unapologetic Tears

odb20220131.jpg

Read: Luke 7:36–44 | Bible in a Year: Exodus 25–26; Matthew 20:17–34
Download MP3
Subscribe to iTunes

As she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Luke 7:38

“I’m sorry,” Karen said, apologizing for her flowing tears. After the death of her husband, she stretched herself to care for her teenage kids. When men from church provided a weekend camping excursion to entertain them and give her a break, Karen wept with gratitude, apologizing over and over for her tears.

Why do so many of us apologize for our tears? Simon, a Pharisee, invited Jesus to dinner. In the middle of the meal, as Jesus reclined at the table, a woman who had lived a sinful life brought an alabaster jar of perfume. “As she stood behind [Jesus] at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears.

Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them” (Luke 7:38). Unapologetically, this woman freely expressed her love and then unwound her hair to dry Jesus’ feet. Overflowing with gratitude and love for Jesus, she topped off her tears with perfumed kisses—actions that contrasted with those of the proper but cold-hearted host.

Jesus’ response? He praised her exuberant expression of love and proclaimed her “forgiven” (vv. 44–48).

We may be tempted to squelch tears of gratitude when they threaten to overflow. But God made us emotional beings, and we can use our feelings to honor Him. Like the woman in Luke’s gospel, let’s unapologetically express our love for our good God who provides for our needs and freely receives our thankful response.

How can you freely express your gratitude to God through your emotions today? How might you make others feel comfortable about sharing their tears?

Loving God, thank You for Your grace in providing for my needs! I pour out my gratitude to You today.

INSIGHT
In first-century Galilee, teachers were often invited to meals where the public was invited to come and listen. In our text from Luke 7, what would’ve been shocking to onlookers is that the woman who anointed Jesus’ feet, given her poor reputation, would have the courage to directly interact with Him to express her love and gratitude.

This story is one example of a prominent theme in the gospel of Luke: that of socially marginalized outsiders—those who were looked down on by the religious faithful—being the ones to testify most powerfully to the truth of the gospel.

By Elisa Morgan|January 31st, 2022

Our Daily Bread (odb.org)

https://odb.org/video

Love, Walter and Debbie

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Reading this passage this morning two things jumped out at me.

First was the fact that the woman had lived a sinful life, which made me think that even though I know we were all sinners before we invited Jesus in but we didn't all lead what I would call 'sinful lives'. Which led me on the think about the parable of the little debt and the big debt and how many who have been forgiven much - like Nicki Cruz go on to wonderful ministries. And it's perhaps those who have not lived sinful lives - like most of us perhaps - are not used by God in the same way.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reading this passage this morning two things jumped out at me.

First was the fact that the woman had lived a sinful life, which made me think that even though I know we were all sinners before we invited Jesus in but we didn't all lead what I would call 'sinful lives'. Which led me on the think about the parable of the little debt and the big debt and how many who have been forgiven much - like Nicki Cruz go on to wonderful ministries. And it's perhaps those who have not lived sinful lives - like most of us perhaps - are not used by God in the same way.
Amen! interesting enough reading about this passage in Luke Seven:36-44-50.

Luke Seven:36-50

Jesus at the Home of Simon the Pharisee
36 Then one of the Pharisees asked Him to eat with him. And He went to the Pharisee's house, and sat down to eat. 37 And behold, a woman in the city who was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at the table in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster flask of fragrant oil, 38 and stood at His feet behind Him weeping; and she began to wash His feet with her tears, and wiped them with the hair of her head; and she kissed His feet and anointed them with the fragrant oil.

39 Now when the Pharisee who had invited Him saw this, he spoke to himself, saying, "This man, if He were a prophet, would know who and what manner of woman this is who is touching Him, for she is a sinner." 40 And Jesus answered and said to him, "Simon, I have something to say to you." So he said, "Teacher, say it."

41 "There was a certain creditor who had two debtors. One owed five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. 42 And when they had nothing with which to repay, he freely forgave them both. Tell Me, therefore, which of them will love him more?" 43 Simon answered and said, "I suppose the one whom he forgave more." And He said to him, "You have rightly judged."

44 Then He turned to the woman and said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave Me no water for My feet, but she has washed My feet with her tears and wiped them with the hair of her head. 45 You gave Me no kiss, but this woman has not ceased to kiss My feet since the time I came in. 46 You did not anoint My head with oil, but this woman has anointed My feet with fragrant oil.

47 Therefore I say to you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much. But to whom little is forgiven, the same loves little." 48 Then He said to her, "Your sins are forgiven." 49 And those who sat at the table with Him began to say to themselves, "Who is this who even forgives sins?" 50 Then He said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you. Go in peace."

Love, Walter

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus