Why did Jesus weep when he was going to raise Lazarus up anyway?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
John 11:

28b [Marha] went and called her sister Mary, saying in private, “The Teacher is here and is calling for you.” 29And when she heard it, she rose quickly and went to him. 30Now Jesus had not yet come into the village, but was still in the place where Martha had met him. 31When the Jews who were with her in the house, consoling her, saw Mary rise quickly and go out, they followed her, supposing that she was going to the tomb to weep there. 32Now when Mary came to where Jesus was and saw him, she fell at his feet, saying to him, “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.” 33When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come with her also weeping,
Everyone was weeping. Jesus felt compassion.

he was deeply moved in his spirit and greatly troubled. 34And he said, “Where have you laid him?” They said to him, “Lord, come and see.” 35Jesus wept.
As a human, Jesus wept in sympathy for others. It was an occasion for weeping.

36So the Jews said, “See how he loved him!”
The Jews interpreted Jesus' tears as tears of love.

37But some of them said, “Could not he who opened the eyes of the blind man also have kept this man from dying?”
Good question. Vertically, Jesus knew that he was about to raise Lazarus. Horizontally, he felt the pain of others and wept in sympathy and compassion of love for Lazarus.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many years ago, a wise professor at a Christian college taught on this, and asked the question: Why do you think Jesus wept? I was unable to improve on his own answer. He said he thought Jesus wept because he saw himself on the cross.

I think Jesus saw the unfortunate nature of the Gospel in that those who deliver this message are persecuted for doing that. They have to go through persecution and sometimes even death to seal their testimony. It destroys families, and it destroys Christian connections. It's also sad to think that even people you love will turn on you as you simply carry out your duty from God.

Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus talked alot about his own death, and hearing of his friends death, it made him sad to the point of weeping. It is amazing how humble he was, and how he was tempted, how he was righlty angry, how responded to others, even in emergencies. The humanity of Jesus is amazing, that he was a real person like you and me.

Thst is an interesting take rockerduck.

Reactions: Nancy

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
With the miracle impending the Lord’s grief went beyond present sorrow!

There is a stronger Greek word for shedding tears...this may be a more controlled expression of grief rather than the type of wailing the Jews were well known for.

The false teaching of the immortal soul makes a mockery of this scene...clearly the ressurection is the focus - verse 37 shows they had their minds on raising the dead!

The foolish Christian would have poor Lazarus sent to Heaven and then returned to his body :jest:

F2F

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was taught at my old college days that Jesus wept became he was bringing Lazarus back from paradise, back to this sinful world.
I think Lazarus would've thrown a hissy if that were true. How can Lazarus sleep, and be awake?

John 11:11
These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.

Martha believed he would be resurrected on the last day/ John 11:24
Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about John 11:1-4, as to the "reason" Jesus allowed Lazarus to die:

1"Now a certain man was ill, Lazarus of Bethany, the village of Mary and her sister Martha. 2It was Mary who anointed the Lord with ointment and wiped his feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was ill. 3So the sisters sent to him, saying, “Lord, he whom you love is ill.” 4But when Jesus heard it he said, “This illness does not lead to death. It is for the glory of God, so that the Son of God may be glorified through it.”

And, agreed that compassion is why Jesus wept. Just m2c :)

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think Lazarus would've thrown a hissy if that were true. How can Lazarus sleep, and be awake?

John 11:11
These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.

Martha believed he would be resurrected on the last day/ John 11:24
Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.
Lazarus was dead, but in the Paradise section of sheol.

John 11:14 - Then Jesus said to them plainly, “Lazarus is dead. 15 And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, that you may believe. Nevertheless let us go to him.”

Jesus was going to Paradise to raise them up.

Luke 23:43 - And Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise.”

The new Paradise is with God

Revelation 2:7 - “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give to eat from the tree of life, which is in the midst of the Paradise of God.”

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
TonyChanYT said:
37But some of them said, “Could not he who opened the eyes of the blind man also have kept this man from dying?”
Good question. Vertically, Jesus knew that he was about to raise Lazarus. Horizontally, he felt the pain of others and wept in sympathy and compassion of love for Lazarus.

Yes, it was pure compassion, understanding how death causes so much heartache. These dear close friends of Jesus were grieving deeply the loss of their brother, but Jesus had waited for 4 days before coming to their home…..because something wonderful was going to happen.

Since no one went to heaven before Jesus, (John 3:13) Lazarus’ death would earn him a resurrection as his sister mentioned…”on the last day”. (The Jewish expectation was to to be restored back to life on earth under Messiah’s kingdom) But since Lazarus and his sisters were disciples, and Lazarus had died before Jesus, his destiny would have been in an earthly resurrection, (John 5:28-29) just as it was with John the Baptist who was beheaded by Herod. (Matt 11:11) But Jesus made no attempt to raise his cousin John from the dead.

By raising Lazarus, he actually changed his destiny from an earthly resurrection to a heavenly one. The anointing of Christ’s elect had not yet taken place, so by bringing him back from the grave to die again at a later time, he and his sisters would most likely have had a spiritual resurrection to be among those who would rule with their Lord in heaven as part of the elect. (Rev 20:6)

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, it was pure compassion, understanding how death causes so much heartache. These dear close friends of Jesus were grieving deeply the loss of their brother, but Jesus had waited for 4 days before coming to their home…..because something wonderful was going to happen.

Since no one went to heaven before Jesus, (John 3:13) Lazarus’ death would earn him a resurrection as his sister mentioned…”on the last day”. (The Jewish expectation was to to be restored back to life on earth under Messiah’s kingdom) But since Lazarus and his sisters were disciples, and Lazarus had died before Jesus, his destiny would have been in an earthly resurrection, (John 5:28-29) just as it was with John the Baptist who was beheaded by Herod. (Matt 11:11) But Jesus made no attempt to raise his cousin John from the dead.

By raising Lazarus, he actually changed his destiny from an earthly resurrection to a heavenly one. The anointing of Christ’s elect had not yet taken place, so by bringing him back from the grave to die again at a later time, he and his sisters would most likely have had a spiritual resurrection to be among those who would rule with their Lord in heaven as part of the elect. (Rev 20:6)
The Pharisees of Jesus's day believed a person could still be alive, but a coma like state, for 3 days. But on the 4th day and a decayed body, nobody could dispute a miracle, that no one has ever performed before. Hence, it would have been disputed after 2 or 3 days. Lazarus was a popular person after this, and the Pharisees sought to Kill him too.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because Jesus (God) is emotional....

Meaning emotions are good....stoics are bad.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

He wept because of their unbelief.

They said...>"if you had only been here, he would not have died"..

And Jesus Wept.... because of their unbelief.

See, THEY both knew He was The Messiah, and yet, "if you had only been here"...... as if MESSIAH has no power to raise the dead, and they knew He had done this, before, many times.

So, where is their FAITH?

And then they stated even more unbelief, as He told them what was going to happen to their brother and they STILL tried to bypass all this, and said...>"yes we know that in the resurrection"....

This is similar to Jesus weeping over Jerusalem, and saying "if you had just come to me"......
They didnt.......= UNBELIEF.

Faith please God.
Doubt = "Jesus wept".

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Why?

It doesn't say. Everything beyond that is speculation.

Well, its pretty obvious that the God man didnt need to weep over Nicodemus's death, when He was about to raise Him from the dead.

Also, Jesus waited some days after He died...., before He went to do this.

He was not weeping with them, He was weeping because of them.

"without faith its impossible to please God".

"without FAITH, you can't be born again".

Everything with God is FAITH BASED.

So, what does He feel, when you don't have any?

"Jesus wept".

Your NT even takes it farther then im teaching you.

Your NT says that "what isn't faith....what isn't of faith........is SIN"...

So, doubt is more then just DOUBT to God... However, the born again are not under that, as our SIN has been dealt with 2000 yrs ago.

Yet, God is not made happy by doubting Children.
= its just the opposite.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Why did Jesus weep when he was going to raise Lazarus up anyway?​

I'd say it was because of the unbelief of the people at the scene

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lazarus was dead, but in the Paradise section of sheol.

John 11:14 - Then Jesus said to them plainly, “Lazarus is dead. 15 And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, that you may believe. Nevertheless let us go to him.”

Jesus was going to Paradise to raise them up.

Luke 23:43 - And Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise.”

The new Paradise is with God

Revelation 2:7 - “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give to eat from the tree of life, which is in the midst of the Paradise of God.”
Ok--where does that change anything?
Christ wasn't in Paradise that day.
God alone is immortal (1Tim 6:16) so we have an end as beings.
We are promised eternal life if we believe on Jesus (John 3:16). I know this verse is quoted alot, but what does it say.? It says those who believe have everlasting life, and those who do not believe, will not.
What is the point of resurrection?

Reactions: Aunty Jane