Understanding Worship and Who only is Worthy of it

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We see the definition of worship and its pretty clear...
wor·ship
/ˈwərSHəp/
noun

1. the feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for a deity.
    [COLOR=var(--IXoxUe)]"the worship of God"[/COLOR]​
Similar: reverence revering veneration venerating adoration adoring-olatry devotion praying to glorification glorifying exaltation exalting homage esteem...

..... Verb show reverence and adoration for (a deity); honor with religious rites

So we have to understand Who is worthy of our worship, and who or what is not, such as for angels, idols, or even religious leaders such as the Pope. The precepts of the Ten Commandments are adapted to all of us, and they were given for the instruction and government of all. The Ten Commandments cover the duty of man to God and to his fellow man; and all based upon the fundamental principle of love.

“Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbor as thyself.” Luke 10:27.

The commandment “Thou shalt have no other gods before Me”, lays out that God is alone entitled to supreme reverence and worship. Man is forbidden to give to any other object the first place in his affections or his service.

The commandment “Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them” forbids the worship of God by images or similitudes. Many claim that their images are mere figures or symbols by which the Lord God was worshiped, but God has declared such worship to be sin.

It is connected to the next commandment, “Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate Me. And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.” And it lays out the suffering from the consequences of the parents wrongdoing, which is hard to understand why it can go on that long but seems to be the danger that Christ was talking about.

John 5:14
Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.

There is a cause and effect on man when it comes to sin, and even doing wrong acts even in worship and who we give it to has consequences...

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I saw a TV ad for a local Catholic church inviting people to OBSERVE Easter Mass with them.
Gave me pause to think. The word observe struck me as something to consider. Two aspects.
1) Observe is an obligation. Doing a required deed to fulfill a religious requirement.
2) Observe is also passive. (non-participatory) Like team sports. Those in the stands, not those on the field.

If we feel that we are commanded to worship, and doing so fulfills a religious obligation, that is observing. (remembering)
And even if we joyfully participate, the aim is to fulfill a religious obligation. Must be on the correct day in the correct place?

I was introduced to a worship lifestyle years ago. No religious requirements. An honest expression.
A head space to live in. The sanctuary of God to carry with me in my thoughts and expressions.
Inviting God to walk with me on a daily basis. (pick up your cross...)

/ @BarneyFife @O'Darby

Reactions: RedFan

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is connected to the next commandment, “Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate Me. And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.” And it lays out the suffering from the consequences of the parents wrongdoing, which is hard to understand why it can go on that long but seems to be the danger that Christ was talking about.
Not to stray too far afield here, but "the suffering from the consequences of the parents wrongdoing" goes to the third or fourth generation for a specific reason, and it is not "hard to understand why it can go on that long " at all. Simply put, that is how long someone is apt to live to see his progeny. Three or four generations of his descendants are made to suffer in order to punish him, just so that he will wail every day of his potentially long life at the visible consequences of his sin. (Aquinas saw this. “The text adds, ‘to the third and fourth generation,’ because men are wont to live long enough to see the third and fourth generation.” Summa Theologica Part II Q. 87 Art. 8.) The framework of three or four generations is specifically picked so that the perpetrator would not live to see an unpunished descendant.

• Love

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Not to stray too far afield here, but "the suffering from the consequences of the parents wrongdoing" goes to the third or fourth generation for a specific reason, and it is not "hard to understand why it can go on that long " at all. Simply put, that is how long someone is apt to live to see his progeny. Three or four generations of his descendants are made to suffer in order to punish him, just so that he will wail every day of his potentially long life at the visible consequences of his sin. (Aquinas saw this. “The text adds, ‘to the third and fourth generation,’ because men are wont to live long enough to see the third and fourth generation.” Summa Theologica Part II Q. 87 Art. 8.) The framework of three or four generations is specifically picked so that the perpetrator would not live to see an unpunished descendant.

Actually, if you consider the time span that God has walked contrary to Israel and Israel has walked contrary to God, Exodus 20:4-6 is not talking about the third and the fourth descendant generations that the visitation of the father's iniquities would be for, but rather the Lord was speaking of the third and the fourth Ages would be the time span from when God hallowed temple in Jerusalem would be removed/levelled and Israel would be scattered to the four corners of the earth. This prophetic word in Ex 20:4-6, has not yet run its full course yet, and when it has come to its completion, then all of Israel will be gathered once more to God for His redemption and His future purposes for Israel.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I saw a TV ad for a local Catholic church inviting people to OBSERVE Easter Mass with them.
Gave me pause to think. The word observe struck me as something to consider. Two aspects.
1) Observe is an obligation. Doing a required deed to fulfill a religious requirement.
2) Observe is also passive. (non-participatory) Like team sports. Those in the stands, not those on the field.

If we feel that we are commanded to worship, and doing so fulfills a religious obligation, that is observing. (remembering)
And even if we joyfully participate, the aim is to fulfill a religious obligation. Must be on the correct day in the correct place?

I was introduced to a worship lifestyle years ago. No religious requirements. An honest expression.
A head space to live in. The sanctuary of God to carry with me in my thoughts and expressions.

/ @BarneyFife @O'Darby

I really appreciate your personal invitations to participate, my Brother. :)

Usually when I get tagged, it's just to let me know that I'm a heretic or worse.

I think friendship ought to be more common in a Christian community—even a virtual one. I have about a half-dozen friends here and consider myself very fortunate. You're my favorite, of course (don't tell the others).

I enjoy observing a little reflection and solemnity on Good Friday. It's a very special time for me. But I wouldn't care to impose such a thing on anyone. That would just seem counterintuitive to me. I adopted the habit of my own conception and accord. However inspired it might have been, I don't see it as a divine requirement.

But then, I don't see divine requirements as objectionable, so I'm not sure what I've just said. It's so weird. I don't remember ever complaining about what I was told were divine requirements, in my entire life. Regardless of how much I may have been inclined toward and been guilty of non-compliance, I don't recall ever objecting to another person about anything I knew to be my duty to God.

For my part, what you say here sounds really good and it's gratifying to me to know that it's filling a need that you might have missed out on for too long.

Maybe being a Military brat raised by conservative Southern Baptists has something to do with it, but I've always considered everything I think, say, or do to be either an act of worship, or of rebellion. I can remember distinct times at work when I knew that God was helping me to give Him glory in a job I was doing every bit as much as though I was at church singing one of my favorite hymns at the top of my lungs.

Frankly speaking, I honestly don't understand a God who doesn't have requirements for worship.

Having said that, however, I must confess that I've been that way for as long as I can remember.

The turning point in my religious experience was realizing that I could never fulfill those requirements perfectly and that simply trying harder was not at all likely to solve that problem.

One day in the Summer of '92, I was at a week-long Lay Evengelist Training Seminar hearing some new things that were really as old as Adam.

One day, while thinking on these things, I was feeling particularly vulnerable and almost desperate to hold onto faith because, although I was trying very hard to live healthily, my lifelong struggle with depression and anxiety didn't seem to be improving very much.

I ran into the woods at the retreat grounds and opened my Bible to Psalms 94:17. It reads:

"Unless the LORD had been my help,
My soul would soon have settled in silence."

(My pastor had just given me a new compact paperback NKJV to carry around during the seminar.)

And so I finally had to put the fig leaves in the circular file and trade in my fear and shame for a "coat of skin" made from the Lamb of God.

Now, this would sound to some like I believe I'm all better now, but I find I have to "die daily," à la 1 Corinthians 15:31.

But at least I know now where to go for laundry service and that He's open all nite—7 days a week.

When I think of worship, I can't help thinking of John 4, and the idea of worshipping in spirit and in truth.

It seems to me that the worshippers of Christ's day were convinced they had the "truth" part down pat and many, if not most Christians today seem pretty confident they're worshipping in the Spirit.

I'm just not seeing a lot of demonstrations of both and I can't be pointing my finger at anyone with three of them always seeming to point back at me.

I think I know enough (for now) of what God requires of me, but I see too much of "Romans 7 Man" in myself, and not enough "Romans 8 Man." And I keep forgetting that the forgiveness and the power is at the foot of the cross.

Good Friday helps me to remember.

In short:

He's still working on me.

I'm not sure this is apropos of the thread topic, but it's Good Friday and, as Brother Dave Gardner would likely say of me: "That's his kick, man—he digs that."

He'd probably also say: "Ain't 'is a mess?"

:hearteyes:

• Love

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Usually when I get tagged, it's just to let me know that I'm a heretic or worse.
Hey Brother, if it’s any consolation, I’m not Born Again apparently, I don’t know what it means....hehehe.

I guess it’s because i don’t fit in “ their” box of what it means to be Born Again...hehehe.

Anyway, as soon as I became Born Again...I knew in my spirit that only God/ Jesus are worthy of praise......we can only worship in the Spirit....where we worship in Spirit and truth.

The Holy Spirit is Gods witness...therefore he witnesses to our spirit that only God and Jesus are worthy of Praise...hope you understand that. If you don’t I do,hehehe,xxx.

I fink you are luverly........a very gentle spirit....just lovely all round, I hope I haven’t made you blush....hehehexxx...

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fantastic post, thanks.
Frankly speaking, I honestly don't understand a God who doesn't have requirements for worship.
If you have children, you probably remember a moment like I am about to describe.
And frankly, this could happen with a niece, nephew or grandchild.

Often times we will ask them for a hug or a kiss, or say "I love you." which they return to us.
But the moment they spontaneously show us affection without us asking for it...
That is a special moment. I imagine God feels the same way.

1711796503780.jpeg

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reminds me of events at work. Like the Employee Appreciation Potluck. - LOL
You are required to be there, AND required to have fun.
And you better bring something the boss likes.

/

Reactions: BarneyFife

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I enjoy observing a little reflection and solemnity on Good Friday. It's a very special time for me. But I wouldn't care to impose such a thing on anyone. That would just seem counterintuitive to me. I adopted the habit of my own conception and accord. However inspired it might have been, I don't see it as a divine requirement.
I suppose the best measure of that would be what happens if you don't show up?

Discussed this with my wife on the way to Good Friday service.
Especially in reference to the Catholic observance of Easter Sunday.
One of two MAJOR church holidays when everyone is expected to be there. ???
(as I understand it) But, I'm Protestant, so what would I know?

Anyway, if you don't show up, then what? Did anyone notice? (except God)
What do you say if you are questioned about your absence?
Would you lie and make up an excuse? What if you told the truth?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You probably are already doing this along with your regular religious practice.
But if you weren't familiar, we could discuss it.
What is worship? Do we need to be contained in a building with other believers to do it?
Don't get me wrong, I think corporate worship is important too.

There are two relationships in play here.
1) A relationship with the Body. (of Christ)
2) A relationship with the Head. (Christ/God)

"... in spirit and truth..." (John 4:23)

/

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey Brother, if it’s any consolation, I’m not Born Again apparently, I don’t know what it means....hehehe.

I guess it’s because i don’t fit in “ their” box of what it means to be Born Again...hehehe.

Anyway, as soon as I became Born Again...I knew in my spirit that only God/ Jesus are worthy of praise......we can only worship in the Spirit....where we worship in Spirit and truth.

The Holy Spirit is Gods witness...therefore he witnesses to our spirit that only God and Jesus are worthy of Praise...hope you understand that. If you don’t I do,hehehe,xxx.

I fink you are luverly........a very gentle spirit....just lovely all round, I hope I haven’t made you blush....hehehexxx...

Thanks, Sis. :hearteyes:

But I can be pretty unruly at times.

Reactions: Ritajanice

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fantastic post, thanks.

If you have children, you probably remember a moment like I am about to describe.
And frankly, this could happen with a niece, nephew or grandchild.

Often times we will ask them for a hug or a kiss, or say "I love you." which they return to us.
But the moment they spontaneously show us affection without us asking for it...
That is a special moment. I imagine God feels the same way.

View attachment 43889

/

My pleasure :D

And fair enough, all right, but God really only asked me to keep the Sabbath once, at least, to my way of thinking.

Sure, it's still there in the Book, but I just kinda do it 'cause I love Him, nowadays.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suppose the best measure of that would be what happens if you don't show up?

Discussed this with my wife on the way to Good Friday service.
Especially in reference to the Catholic observance of Easter Sunday.
One of two MAJOR church holidays when everyone is expected to be there. ???
(as I understand it) But, I'm Protestant, so what would I know?

Anyway, if you don't show up, then what? Did anyone notice? (except God)
What do you say if you are questioned about your absence?
Would you lie and make up an excuse? What if you told the truth?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You probably are already doing this along with your regular religious practice.
But if you weren't familiar, we could discuss it.

What is worship? Do we need to be contained in a building with other believers to do it?
Don't get me wrong, I think corporate worship is important too.

There are two relationships in play here.
1) A relationship with the Body. (of Christ)
2) A relationship with the Head. (Christ/God)

"... in spirit and truth..." (John 4:23)

/

I think a big part of what makes our friendship so enjoyable to me is that, while we've shared so much already, we still do have an awful lot to talk about, SS.

I've been shut in with a health problem for the last two weekends but I think I feel well enough to catch Sabbath School today so I gotta run for now. :waves:

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think a big part of what makes our friendship so enjoyable to me is that, while we've shared so much already, we still do have an awful lot to talk about, SS.

I've been shut in with a health problem for the last two weekends but I think I feel well enough to catch Sabbath School today so I gotta run for now. :waves:

I think the Lord has brought you two together ...you have a lot in common..

Like you are both on the same wavelength...it’s nice to see such Brotherly Love..

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the Lord has brought you two together ...you have a lot in common..

Like you are both on the same wavelength...it’s nice to see such Brotherly Love..
Actually, we disagree on many points. But we do agree on many too.
But we have made the relationship more important than our personal beliefs.
So, we butt heads like a couple of goats, but we know when to stop. - LOL

/ cc: @BarneyFife

• Love
Reactions: BarneyFife

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, we disagree on many points. But we do agree on many too.
But we have made the relationship more important than our personal beliefs.
So, we butt heads like a couple of goats, but we know when to stop. - LOL

/ cc: @BarneyFife

So let's lock up a little. I say we're big enough men to make allowances for each other's convictions while holding on to our main common one about the ultimate importance of the character of God. ;)

• Love