Unhealthy Comparisons

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

hldude33

Apr 28, 2010
“Unhealthy Comparisons”
By Zach Wood
Luke 18:9-14

If I have done it once, I have done it probably a hundred times or even more. I am sure you have probably done it as well. I compare myself to people. I know you do the same. We all do. We are human. We seem to feel better when we justify what we are doing by comparing ourselves to someone else and say, “Well, at least I’m not like that person!”

To be honest, that phrase becomes like a disease that seems to permeate through our relationships with other people. We separate ourselves from those people who seem worse off than we are. We like to think we are better than those who do really bad things. The problem is we have come up with the rationalization that what we are doing is ok and what those people do is terrible.

Sad thing here is, Jesus Christ sees sin as sin. We can rationalize, justify, and convince ourselves that are better than “those people” who do really bad things. We try to do good things, so we strive to many times separate ourselves when good and bad people are categorized.

Jesus Christ is showing us in this parable that our comparison problem stems from when we compare ourselves within our reasoning and understanding and feel we are better than those who are doing really bad things in our eyes. We are not comparing ourselves to who Christ wants us to be, but rather what we personally think is better. His standard is so higher than ours and we many times fail to see the way He wants us to see. The harsh truth is when we think this way in comparing ourselves to others, we are just as bad as those who we think are doing worse things.

Jesus Christ calls us to be humble and repentant. We should not think of ourselves in any other way than humble and responsive to what He commands. He compares us to what He asks of us. It is extremely unhealthy when we compare ourselves to others and feel we are better. We become like the Pharisees. We show off and try to explain how we are better. We are no better.

When I read this parable, I want to be more like the tax collector who admits his inadequacies to God and becomes humble before the Lord. The last part of verse 14 is so powerful. Whoever exalts himself will be humbled and the one who humbles himself will be exalted.

Which one are you right now? The Pharisee or the Tax Collector? Be humbled and let go of your rationalizations, justifications and comparisons you’ve made.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pretty good post! I love that parable. It gives us the key on how to truly repent, as well as telling us the main point, which is about being humble. Did you catch the point about the pharasee being pretty accusative in his prayers? "I'm thankful I'm not like that guy!" Someone once told me a clever play on words (wish I remember who it was so I could give him credit): Doesn't "Pharisee" sound an awlful lot like someone with a lispe saying "There! You see?" (Phare! You see?") and saducee sounds like "Sad... You see?"

Well, I thought it was funny.

I suppose most of my life and even today I'm more like the Tax collector. I'm pretty humble, to a fault. More to the point, I had pretty low self esteem. At the same time, I had some puffed up points about a few things. So yea, I had a little pharisee in me too. It wasn't until I came to Christ that I found out both were wrong. I am a child of the King and should not be ashamed, yet stay humble to all.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
There's another good one about 'Pharisee'... Comes from a song: "I dont wanna be a Pharisee, I dont wanna be a Pharisee, cause they're not Fair you see..." :lol:

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
Yeah... John the Baptist was weird because be didn't come eating or drinking... and Jesus was a drunk and a glutton because He came eating and drinking...

The Pharisees always set the level of what's right with where they're at...

If you do less than them you're legalistic... if you do more than them you're using grace as an opportunity to sin... haha

I used to live with this one christian roommate on Oahu.. I loved when it was OK for him to drink beers because all of a sudden it was OK for me to drink beers and I wouldn't have to hear it from him or get bad vibed... and then all of a sudden he'd get convicted and next thing you know he'd be shaking his head at us when we'd be cracking cold ones even though the week before it was OK when he was doing it... haha...

It was like, "What's up him this week".. "Oh.. he stopped drinking this week so everyone else is supposed to as well.. don't worry... he'll probably drink beers again in a couple weeks and then it will all be kosher again" hahhahahah

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
I never realized how much I compare myself with others until about 6 months ago.

Oddly It was in Judo. I was frustrated because my techniques weren't working during sparing. I was frustrated because I had to take time off for a couple injuries. Looking around there were people who started after me who had higher ranks. I thought, "Man! If I didn't have to deal with those injuries I would be farther!". I thought maybe I wasn't learning anything. Then it dawned on me! I looked back at when I first started and what I didn't know, and what I couldn't do. Then I looked at myself now, and what I know and what I can do. Lo and behold! There was progress! Sure, maybe I would be farther along if I never got injured. But, maybe if one of the others got injured they would've quit altogether. Who knows, who cares?

So, my path in Judo is different than someone elses. I've had different struggles, a different mindframe, different fitness, you name it.

Later on as I was thinking about all of this, it dawned on me. I was doing that in life too. I felt the same way about other Christians. "Man, if I didn't have this problem or that, I could be way farther along like they are!"

Now, I realize. Our paths aren't the same, our difficulties aren't the same, or minds aren't the same, and what one person feels or does ore can handle isn't what another can cope with. All I can do is keep tabs on my own progress and see where I need to improve. No need to be overwhelmed worrying about anothers path.

Christianity isn't much different. We're all different.

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
Yeah... John the Baptist was weird because be didn't come eating or drinking... and Jesus was a drunk and a glutton because He came eating and drinking...

The Pharisees always set the level of what's right with where they're at...

If you do less than them you're legalistic... if you do more than them you're using grace as an opportunity to sin... haha

I used to live with this one christian roommate on Oahu.. I loved when it was OK for him to drink beers because all of a sudden it was OK for me to drink beers and I wouldn't have to hear it from him or get bad vibed... and then all of a sudden he'd get convicted and next thing you know he'd be shaking his head at us when we'd be cracking cold ones even though the week before it was OK when he was doing it... haha...

It was like, "What's up him this week".. "Oh.. he stopped drinking this week so everyone else is supposed to as well.. don't worry... he'll probably drink beers again in a couple weeks and then it will all be kosher again" hahhahahah

That's a good story about beer. You ever pour out a beer as a grain sacrifice to God ? It's pretty crazy I think he likes it though, they aren't cheap in Canada either...