Unpardonable Sin.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

blessedhope

Aug 9, 2015
And
Belief in Jesus Christ, however, demands a change in perspective. Logically, if one believes in eternal accountability before a Righteous Judge, it therefore follows that it would throw a damper on the 'pleasure of unrighteousness'.

In the final analysis, there is but one sin for which the unbeliever will stand convicted.

"Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men." (Matthew 12:31)

The term 'blasphemy' can best be understood as 'defiant irreverence'. It is a state of defiant unbelief, despite the evidence. Or, as Peter describes it, "willful ignorance."

"Blasphemy against the Holy Ghost" can be understood as a continued and persistently stubborn rejection of the gospel of salvation. This would be THE "unpardonable sin" because as long as a person remains in unbelief, he voluntarily excludes himself from forgiveness of sin.

It isn't God that condemns the unbeliever to eternal separation in the Lake of Fire.

The unbeliever condemns himself by his choice to believe a lie, preferring instead, as Peter noted, to walk after their own lusts, thus ignoring the evidence out of willful ignorance.

"I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live." (Deuteronomy 30:19)

The same choice faces us all.

Retrobyter

Oct 29, 2011
Tampa Bay, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
blessedhope said:
And
Belief in Jesus Christ, however, demands a change in perspective. Logically, if one believes in eternal accountability before a Righteous Judge, it therefore follows that it would throw a damper on the 'pleasure of unrighteousness'.

In the final analysis, there is but one sin for which the unbeliever will stand convicted.

"Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men." (Matthew 12:31)

The term 'blasphemy' can best be understood as 'defiant irreverence'. It is a state of defiant unbelief, despite the evidence. Or, as Peter describes it, "willful ignorance."

"Blasphemy against the Holy Ghost" can be understood as a continued and persistently stubborn rejection of the gospel of salvation. This would be THE "unpardonable sin" because as long as a person remains in unbelief, he voluntarily excludes himself from forgiveness of sin.

It isn't God that condemns the unbeliever to eternal separation in the Lake of Fire.

The unbeliever condemns himself by his choice to believe a lie, preferring instead, as Peter noted, to walk after their own lusts, thus ignoring the evidence out of willful ignorance.

"I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live." (Deuteronomy 30:19)

The same choice faces us all.
Shalom, blessedhope.

Oh, it's far easier to understand than that. "To blaspheme" means "to belittle." When you "put down" the Holy Spirit of God, WHO'S LEFT?! That's why it's the "unpardonable sin!" See, the Ruwach haQodesh Elohiym (the Holy Spirit of God) is NOT the Judge!

John 5:21-23
21 For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will.
22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:
23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.
KJV

Ephesians 1:3-14
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.
7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
8 Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence;
9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:
10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:
11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:
12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.
13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
14 Which is the earnest (down payment) of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.
KJV

THAT is the ministry of the Ruwach haQodesh! He is the One who indwells us and seals us to the promise! If He is "put down" - "belittled" - then one has no one else to indwell him or her, and no one left to forgive sins! There's no one left to promise one eternal life! The person who belittles God's Ruwach haQodesh has shot himself in the foot!

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In my opinion, the word blasphemy means just what the Strong's says it does.The word blasphemy itself means to speak evil things against God and making outrageous claims against God. Blasphemy of the HS is to take the miracles and works of the HS and knowing better still attribute them to evil spirits or the devil. Ignorance, unbelief and rejection might be foolish but they're not blasphemous.

Retrobyter

Oct 29, 2011
Tampa Bay, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Trekson said:
In my opinion, the word blasphemy means just what the Strong's says it does.The word blasphemy itself means to speak evil things against God and making outrageous claims against God. Blasphemy of the HS is to take the miracles and works of the HS and knowing better still attribute them to evil spirits or the devil. Ignorance, unbelief and rejection might be foolish but they're not blasphemous.
Shalom, Trekson.

Seriously?! Do you REALLY want to go to what STRONG'S says?!

First, "blasphemy" is a TRANSLITERATION of the Greek word "blasfeemia." (I use an "e" for epsilon, "ee" for eta, "o" for omicron, "oo" for omega, and an "f" for phi. That way, I don't have to have some special font to represent the Greek letters.)

Here's Strong's:

NT:988 blasfeemia (blas-fay-me'-ah); from NT:989; vilification (especially against God):
KJV - blasphemy, evil speaking, railing.

NT:989 blasfeemos (blas'-fay-mos); from a derivative of NT:984 and NT:5345; scurrilous, i.e. calumnious (against men), or (specially) impious (against God):
KJV - blasphemer (-mous), railing.

NT:984 blaptoo (blap'-to); a primary verb; properly, to hinder, i.e. (by implication) to injure:
KJV - hurt.

NT:5345 feemee (fay'-may); from NT:5346; a saying, i.e. rumor ("fame"):
KJV - fame.
(Biblesoft's New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright © 1994, 2003, 2006 Biblesoft, Inc. and International Bible Translators, Inc.)

So, going back to the roots, it is a "saying or rumor to hinder" or a "saying or rumor to injure" meant to be "scurrilous," whether "calumnious" against men or "impious" against God.

"Vilification" is defined as...

vilification |ˌviləfəˈkāSH(ə)n|
noun
abusively disparaging speech or writing: the vilification of minority groupings.

"Disparaging" is defined as...

disparaging |diˈsperijiNG|
adjective
expressing the opinion that something is of little worth; derogatory: disparaging remarks about public housing.
DERIVATIVES
disparagingly |dəˈsperijiNGlē| adverb

from...
disparage |dəˈsperij|
verb [ with obj. ]
regard or represent as being of little worth: he never missed an opportunity to disparage his competitors.
DERIVATIVES
disparagement |dəˈsperijmənt| noun
ORIGIN
late Middle English (in the sense ‘marry someone of unequal rank,’ also ‘bring discredit on’): from Old French desparagier ‘marry someone of unequal rank,’ based on Latin par ‘equal.’

"Scurrilous" is defined as...

scurrilous |ˈskərələs|
adjective
making or spreading scandalous claims about someone with the intention of damaging their reputation: a scurrilous attack on his integrity.
• humorously insulting: a very funny collection of bawdy and scurrilous writings.

DERIVATIVES
scurrilously |ˈsk(ə)rələslē| adverb.
scurrilousness noun
ORIGIN
late 16th cent.: from French scurrile or Latin scurrilus (from scurra ‘buffoon’) + -ous.

"Calumnious" is defined as ...

calumny |ˈkaləmnē|
noun (pl. calumnies)
the making of false and defamatory statements in order to damage someone's reputation; slander.
• a false and slanderous statement.
DERIVATIVES
calumnious |kəˈləmnēəs| adjective
ORIGIN
late Middle English: from Latin calumnia .

And, "impious" is defined as...
impious |ˈimpēəsimˈpīəs|
adjective
not showing respect or reverence, especially for a god: the emperor's impious attacks on the Church.
• (of a person or act) wicked: impious villains.
DERIVATIVES
impiously |ˈimpēəslēimˈpīəslē| adverb.
impiousness noun
ORIGIN
mid 16th cent.: from Latin impius (from in- ‘not’ + pius: see pious) + -ous.

So, your definition: "The word blasphemy itself means to speak evil things against God and making outrageous claims against God. Blasphemy of the HS is to take the miracles and works of the HS and knowing better still attribute them to evil spirits or the devil," may be an APPLICATION of blasphemy, but it is NOT the word itself. The word means MORE!

One of the BIGGEST, modern examples of blasphemy today is what we here in Florida have just experienced in the weather statements about Hurricane Hermine made by "Politically Correct" weather personnel when they say something stupid like "Mother Nature is really creating havoc today!" First of all, the term "Mother Nature" refers back to the Greek goddess, Geia. Thus, they are ignorantly and falsely attributing the strength of the weather to some Greek goddess rather tnan to the REAL God, YHWH, who DOES INDEED control the weather!

Second, why would one want to say such a thing in a broadcast to thousands, hundreds of thousands, and even millions of people?! Because they don't want to offend some people? They should go ahead and offend them! At least the listeners will have heard the truth ONCE in their lives!

So, your statement, "Ignorance, unbelief and rejection might be foolish but they're not blasphemous," is just WRONG! Just as "Ignorance of the law is no excuse," nor is "ignorance, unbelief, and rejection" benign! They do indeed "belittle God!"

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why quibble about definitions instead of looking for the context of what is being conveyed. I, myself is leaning towards Strong's definition.

Matthew 12:22-32 reads:

22 Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb; and he healed him, inasmuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw.

23 And all the people were amazed, and said, Is not this the son of David?

24 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow does not cast out devils, but by Beelsebub the prince of the devils.

25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:

26 And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?

27 And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out therefore they shall be your judges.

28 But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God then the kingdom of God is come unto you.

29 Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? And then he will spoil his house.

Note: this binding happened at the cross.

30 He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.

31 WHEREFORE I SAY UNTO YOU, ALL MANNER OF SIN AND BLASPHEMY SHALL BE FORGIVEN UNTO MEN BUT THE BLASPHEMY AGAINST THE HOLY GHOST SHALL NOT BE FORGIVEN UNTO MEN

32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven neither in this world, neither in the world to come

Mark 3:28-30 reads:

28 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:

29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath NEVER forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:

30 BECAUSE they (Pharisees) said, He (Jesus) hath an unclean spirit.

Today there is none that attributes Jesus' power to Satan. The unpardonable sin was a special sin committed solely by the Pharisees (Mt. 12:24).

To God Be The Glory

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe the unpardonable sin can still be committed today. Else why would we be told it could be committed in the age to come?

Matt.12:32 "...but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come."

But does 'forgiveness', or rather 'unforgiveness', mean one can no more be saved?

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Christ was crucified He prayed " Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do". What did this 'forgiveness' entail? I don't believe it meant that everyone who was part of that people who took part in the crucifixion of Christ was saved.

Christ prayed for their forgiveness so that God would not come against them in judgement for what they were doing. No doubt some would later be saved, but this 'forgiveness' didn't involve that.

And we who are saved also seek forgiveness though we are already saved. 1John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins". This is not a 'forgiving' to get us back into a saved state but to cleanse us in our daily walk with the Lord.

So, when Christ tells the Pharisees in Matt.12:31-32 that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is unforgivable it means it will be judged by God. God will not allow any repentance for it. It is going to receive the full judgement of God. Israel is now rejected by God. After this event Christ no more offers Himself and the Kingdom to Israel. And Israel will reap the judgement of God in 70AD.

Stranger