Using foul language

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sinful? Appropriate in certain circumstances? Does it have a place in a ministry - sort of like verbally turning over the tables in the Temple?

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
I find cursing simply as it states is a curse on the person who says it and on those it is geared towards. No that is not canon or doctrine its just my personal opinion! I came up around people that curse I mean curse! I used to curse but I asked God to sanctify and purify that out of me! For it is detrimental to your character in you are in Christ and people see and hear you cursing! I do not think it is appropriate! Yet that is my take! If you can exalt God while you are cursing do it! I just will not.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Luke 6:45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

Php 3:20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Any church member or professing Christian who habitually uses profanity needs to be corrected, in love of course, but sternly spoken to and educated as to the biblical standard expected.

This is from http://www.christian...ical-assessment

Profanity – A Biblical Assessment

By Wayne Jackson
A sincere Christian recently noted that the Bible in general, and the book of James in particular (cf. Jas. 3:1ff), warns about the improper use of the tongue. Yet he laments the fact that profanity and vulgarity are perhaps more widespread now than at any time in history – at least in America.
He wonders how it is that one identifies “profanity.” The Bible only warns against the evil use of language in a general way, but it doesn’t specify which words are to be avoided. Is it a cultural question?
This is an excellent item for study. It is true that this issue is not addressed in a solitary, compact biblical context. There are, though, helpful principles in Scripture that assist in clarifying this bewilderment. Think about these points for a moment.
  1. The Bible could not possibly provide a list of “forbidden” words, since words come and go. Some words become obsolete, and fade from the human vocabulary with the passing of time. Too, new words are ever being born. A “word list” could never be totally relevant, even if it were possible to construct such. The biblical documents deal with different abuses of language, in a general way, but there is no catalog of prohibited words
  2. No mere assemblage of letters creates an intrinsically evil word. “God” and “dog” have the identical letters, yet the meanings attached to the respective arrangements are worlds apart. Words become “bad” by virtue of their connotation, motive, etc., and such circumstances can change from time-to-time, or from place-to-place.

Some years ago I was lecturing in Africa in an environment heavily influenced by the British culture. I referred to a certain military encounter as a “bloody battle.” Later, I was informed that the expression “bloody” – which to me was a perfectly legitimate descriptive – was “profane” to my English-oriented audience. The cultural connotation attached to the adjective made the difference.
  3. Words convey ideas; they are vehicles of communication. It is, therefore, the idea associated with an expression that can create an evil word pattern. Here are passages that address the matter in principle.

The Scriptures speak of “filthy” talking (Eph. 5:4). According to Greek authorities (see Baur, Danker, Arndt, Gingrich, Greek-English Lexicon, Chicago: University of Chicago, 2000, p. 29), the term “filthy” (aischrotes) entails “behavior that flouts social and moral standards, shamefulness, obscenity” while “shameful speech” (aischrologia – Col. 3:8) denotes “speech of a kind that is generally considered in poor taste, obscene speech, dirty talk.”

“Lascivious” speech (cf. 2 Pet. 2:18) is that designed to conjure up illicit sexual images and ideas. “Corrupt” (morally unwholesome, harmful) communication (Eph. 4:29) is likewise condemned. “Foolish (literally moronic) talking” is speech that reveals a stupid mind, while “jesting” suggests off-color humor (cf. Eph. 5:4).

What is rather disconcerting is the fact that some professed “Christians” vigorously defend the use of filthy language in books and movies under the guise of artistic license; they contend that opposition to such is “anti-intellectual” (see Franky Schaeffer, Sham Pearls for Real Swine, Brentwood, TN: Wolgemuth & Hyatt, 1990, Chaper 9, “Freedom Versus Censorship”). Such rationalization carries no weight with the genuinely spiritual person.
  4. Words become profane when sacred meanings are treated in a common and trivial fashion. One of the commands of the Decalog was: “You shall not take the name of Jehovah your God in vain” (Ex. 20:7). This probably refers to an appeal to the Lord’s name within the context of a false oath (cf. Lev. 19:12). To lie under oath (“so help you God”), or to whimsically accentuate your affirmations with a “by God” is, in principle, a form of profanity.

Under the law of Moses, the “name” of God was not to be profaned (Lev. 18:21). The context has to do with the use of Jehovah’s name in the environment of pagan worship. The principle involves taking the sacred name of the Lord and vulgarly transporting it into the domain of the secular. This concept finds a manifestation in various ways in America’s crude modes of expression, such as, “O my God!” – as an ejaculation of surprise. “Lordy mercy!” “Jesus Christ!” and such like are equally inappropriate.

The Greek word bebeloo is twice rendered “profane” in the New Testament (see Mt. 12:5; Acts 24:6). It is defined as “to cause something highly revered to become identified with the commonplace, violate sanctity, desecrate, profane” (Danker, 173). Surely it is not difficult to conclude that this category of irreverence is perpetuated in many common expressions today. And it hardly minimizes the transgression to euphonize the use of sacred names by disguising the format – as in, “Good gosh!,” “Golly!” and the like. An unabridged dictionary will reveal the derivation of these terms to those who have sufficient interest in their vocabulary.
  5. In biblical parlance, to “curse” (katara) is to utter a “malediction” or an imprecation upon someone. The term may be used legitimately of a pronouncement of divine judgment (cf. Gal. 3:10,13; Heb. 6:8), but when employed whimsically by humans, it denotes a malevolent “curse” uttered against another as expression of personal wrath (cf. Jas. 3:10; 2 Pet. 2:14). It finds a modern vent in such phrases as, “You go to hell!” or “Damn you!”

It is important to note at this point that neither of these terms, “hell” or “damn,” is inherently evil. There is a proper context in which they are permissible. Jesus spoke of that sort of person who is “a child of hell” (Mt. 23:15), and the Great Commission warns that those who believe not “shall be damned” (Mk. 16:16, KJV). It is the manner in which such terms are employed, i.e., hatefully, vindictively, in a pejorative fashion, that makes the use of them wrong. See similarly the use of “fool” (Mt. 5:22), yet compare that with a legitimate employment of the word (Psa. 14:1; 1 Cor. 15:36; Gal. 3:1).
As a side note, we might mention that many misunderstand the meaning of the New Testament text that records that Peter “cursed and swore” in connection with his denial of Christ (Mk. 14:71). This does not mean that the apostle broke forth in vile, vulgar language, such as we commonly hear today. Rather, the meaning of the passage is this: In his fear, Peter denied the Lord, re-enforcing his denial with a calling down of “curses upon himself,” if his testimony were not true (Danker, 63).
What he did was terribly wrong – the panicky act of a terrified man. But his language was not the coarse, gutter-variety that one generally associates with the word “curse.”
The Christian must strive to keep his speech pure, such as facilitates edifying (Col. 4:6). One must try to refrain from the vulgar, the irreverent, and the reviling abuse of language that is unbecoming to the spiritual person.
The Bible does not lay down a prohibited vocabulary list, but it certainly contains guidelines that will assist the devout person in using speech that is well-pleasing to the Lord and to others. Note: For further reading, see our “Penpoints” article, “The Plague of Profanity” (October 18, 1999).

wj_500px.png

About the Author

Wayne Jackson has written for and edited the Christian Courier since its inception in 1965. He has also written several books on a variety of biblical topics including The Bible and Science, Creation, Evolution, and the Age of the Earth, The Bible on Trial, and a number of commentaries. He lives in Stockton, California with his dear wife and life-long partner, Betty

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Is this some type of forced confessional or something .... :)

I used to have a foul mouth before I became a Christian. Mostly I did it to be like all the other guys. .... I found it interesting the moment I became a Christian my swearing completely stopped on its own , I didn't have to stop it myself. A whole bunch of other bad habits stopped as well (without any effort from myself) ..... but for some strange reason I have never been able to give up cigarettes. And boy have I tried. I have even tried to bring all of heaven down here to help me quit. Didn't work.

Sometimes i think that piece of dirt was left on my exterior to keep me from thinking I was better than anyone else. Pretty hard to hide smoking , esp 2 packs a day.

Last few years I have also re-learned some favorite swearwords reserved for special occasions ... I blurt them out as a quick release and get over it .

Other than that I am as pure as the driven snow ................. except for the times I tell lies about snow

Forgive me Father .... for I have sinned .... :)

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Much of the world will water down the term 'foul language' to something like 'shop talk' rendering it to sound innocuous.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, the reason I brought up the subject is because most of the employees in the ministry I work for, swear. They swear with each other and with the street kids they work with - they do so because it is part of the culture of the kids we serve. Every other word out of the kids mouth is a word I cannot write on this forum. So, the language is used to relate with the kids and help them feel comfortable in the drop in center.

I can see the point of using the language and I am never shocked by it because I have worked with populations who swear continuously, for years, but I rarely swear - I never really started, and I have not noticed that the kids really do not care either way.

Just thought I would bring the topic up to get some opinions. Thanks

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
I still have a problem in this area. Sometimes I "do good", most of the time not. It's sometimes hard for me to find a word to express the profound frustration or utter disillusionment I'm having with a particular situation, person, or object of my dismay.

There is no place for it, but it's a hard habit. My mistake was over a year ago when I actually decided to start cussing. I posted something about it, as in "Words, the gateway sin." However, it was pointed out to me that it was thoughts that originated. Should've been a duh moment, but lead to some good things to think about and watch out for.

I'm not sure cussing is a sin, although, it has no place in our lives. The most bothersome thing about using foul language or "adult" jokes, is that it does seem to ruin anything I might be able to use to minister if the occasion/need arouse. Then again, most people don't have a problem with "foul language", and wouldn't put someone off their religion based on cussing.

Another thought too, which words are considered foul and to who? There's some people that claim saying, "That sucks" as foul and will even scold their children for it. Although, there are some words that are blatantly obvious to be cuss words.

I've noticed there are things in the Bible that aren't explicitly sins, but more of a model of refinement, and behavior expected of a more upstanding citizen. Much like, if we are members of the Kingdom of God, we must represent in a sort of professional way. It's much like the Mayor wouldn't give a public speech and just use cuss words.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
Well, the reason I brought up the subject is because most of the employees in the ministry I work for, swear. They swear with each other and with the street kids they work with - they do so because it is part of the culture of the kids we serve. Every other word out of the kids mouth is a word I cannot write on this forum. So, the language is used to relate with the kids and help them feel comfortable in the drop in center.

I can see the point of using the language and I am never shocked by it because I have worked with populations who swear continuously, for years, but I rarely swear - I never really started, and I have not noticed that the kids really do not care either way.

We do not need to use vulgar language to reach the youth. Instead we should teach them to use correct language and appropraite speech. Compromise is never good even while trying to reach someone.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
James talks in detail about controllng the tongue. It would be worth a read.

A friend of mine made a flippant statement about foul language stating that those who have difficulty controlling their swearing likely have other areas with the same lack of control.

I am not sure if I agree with that.

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
let me ask you all a question. what is foul language? what i consider foul language and what my grandma considers foul language is different. as long as a word is used in accordance with the definition then who cares right?

God bless

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
The Holy Spirit should convict you on words that you know are wrong an inappropriate. We know what words are appropriate and what words are not and we know what we mean behind certain words. Only the Holy Spirit can bridle the tongue!

Axehead

May 9, 2012

In order to relate you just need to love. You don't have to speak vulgarity. Jesus did not get down in the gutter with the street people in terms of vulgarity. But His love and acceptance of them was all He needed?

1Pet 2:21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:
1Tim 4:12 Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.

Selah

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did someone mention when 'Jesus Christ!@#*' is used as a curse word?

Faith442

Sep 3, 2012
I try to avoid it as I think it doesn't give off a good vibe regardless but when it becomes a habit, boy is it hard to break...Some of my friends are far worse as well.

It's also even harder now that it seems to be more socially acceptable as I've heard it more often in the workplace/school level now.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I should mention that there are some limits to the swearing - the GD word is banned because God answers prayer; no using the Lord's name in vain; no use of swear words to demean others.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
This is a classic....going to print it out and show it around LOL..... a "christian" forum with a debate about whether fould lanquage is a sin.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey Strat, go ahead and show it, maybe we'll get some new visitors from the promotion. While you're at it, might want to get your hands on a Greek copy of Philippians 3:8 so you can show all those people how the Bible uses the Koine Greek for the past tense of crap - and yes, I do mean a certain four letter word beginng with the letter "s" and ending with a "t."

Let's not forget who inspired every word of Scripture, of course, because he also inspired a reference to another God on the can and the report of Eglon's bowels being emptied out. ;)

I think God has his way of making points. I take issue with the GD term because it does disrespect God. I don't exactly go around dropping f-bombs each and every time I get mad at someone or something, either.

However, this crusade that Christians are heathens for uttering a curseword at an unguarded moment is nothing but legalism plain and simple. If it takes me dropping an s-word or a d-word to get a point across to a nonbeliver, well I think the above says God is on my side. If it evolves into me cussing right and left to get the attention of others for my own sake, well then, we have a problem.

Matthew 12:34 is not explicitly talking about cursing alone.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You might also want to print out the dictionary definition of the difference between a discussion and a debate. I see no debate here on the topic.