Walking in the Spirit, Living from a Good Character

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see two ways to live the Christian life. I'm not going to quote any Scriptures in this post, this is purely from my own mind. So with that being said . . .

Internal discipline motivated by any number of things will guide and control your thoughts and behavior. After you step on enough nails, you'll eventually make yourself start wearing shoes. At least that was my experience. After a while, the behavior becomes normal, and you just do it.

What's happened is that in your brain, neural pathways based on thinking and acting a certain way have been countermanded by another part of the mind/brain, and a new behavior is initiated. As the old behavior is denied, those pathways weaken, and eventually get used for something else. And as the new behavior is repeated, new pathways are formed, supporting that behavior.

This is where I think our character resides. It's our "mental tool box". Someone with a good birth and a good upbringing more likely has a good character for this reason. Train a child up in the way he should go. OK, I said no Scripture. I guess I shouldn't make those promises!

Someone with a poor birth (genetic or congenital defects) or a poor upbringing (i.e. an alcoholic raising a child) may have maladapted neural pathways, leading to wrong thinking and acting.

We mature, but in what way? Our individuality will tailor our responses, and those responses get written into our brains. Scientists call this "brain plasticity".

I call this, character. The way we go when we just . . . go. Our default state. It can go either way, in a good character or poor character.

As we endeavor to follow the precepts of Scripture, denying wrong thinking and acting, initiating and reinforcing right thinking and acting, as time goes by, it gets easier, because our brain plasticity is reforming the circuits of our minds to match this better way.

We are building a better character. Giving ourselves a better tool box, a mind that doesn't fight us so much, now that we've become so different, Christians.

The old ways continue to come up, and as I continue in my determination to not give in, it tends to get easier. The problem is, some of the old ways seem intractable. That nothing I can do actually changes anything.

Some of these ways are hard wired into the brain. PTSD, ACE, traumas at develomental times. These can result in permanent brain injury adversely affecting our mental and emotional states.

The second way I see to live a Christian life is to recognize that God has fully reconciled me to Himself, without anything ever against me, to separate me from Him, and to trust Him. In all that I do, I'm looking to God, and this is His Way, so He leads me in His Way.

In the first way, building my character, I find this laborious, slow, and incomplete.

In the second way, walking in the Spirit, I find this light, and instant, and comprehensive.

I've spent so many years in the first way, and so many fewer in the second.

In the second, walking in the Spirit, the first is accomplished also.

What is the difference? In the first way, character building, which I'm not saying don't do, if it's what we are able to do, let's do.

In the first way, I'm the one actively guiding my thoughts and actions. I'm focused on what I should and shouldn't do, deciding between them, and putting my effort into making the right thing happen.

In the second way, the Holy Spirit is the One actively guiding my thoughts and actions. Not like He takes me over and I stop thinking for myself. But my effort is spent on being still, and knowing He is God, finding my strength in quietness and trust. Whatever circumstance, I look to God, and I know what to do, and find I can do it, without exception. As long as I am trusting Him, my mind set on Him. And the more I know Him, the easier it gets to set my affections on Him.

Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added unto you.

Much love!