Wanna know how to exceed the Pharisees?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“But I warn you—unless your righteousness is better than the righteousness of the teachers of religious law and the Pharisees, you will never enter the Kingdom of Heaven!

Jesus said this to his disciples in Matthew 5:20.

Want to know how to exceed that righteousness of Pharisees? -> Faith on the Lord Jesus Christ as your righteousness, because you accept him in his death, burial, and resurrection.

It is not the sin (Those sin can start to die - by abiding in Christ), that keeps you away from the Lord, it is the faith that gives entrance into the Kingdom of Heaven! So keep your faith, never stop remember that it was Jesus that did everything no other could ever do!

@amadeus don't you have a scripture that is related to this in your signature?

:)

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

stephen64

May 23, 2022
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
“But I warn you—unless your righteousness is better than the righteousness of the teachers of religious law and the Pharisees, you will never enter the Kingdom of Heaven!

Want to know how to exceed that righteousness of Pharisees? -> Faith on the Lord Jesus Christ as your righteousness, because you accept him in his death, burial, and resurrection.

It is not the sin (Those sin can start to die - by abiding in Christ), that keeps you away from the Lord, it is the faith that gives entrance into the Kingdom of Heaven! So keep your faith, never stop remember that it was Jesus that did everything no other could ever do!

The pharisees neglected the love of God(Luke11:42) They saw themselves as people who could attain to heaven by being good enough under the law. What need had they for the great love, mercy and compassion of God. They had no real love or gratitude to the Father. The greatest commandment of all is broken. They crushed the people with strictly quoting the letter of the law to them and demanding strict obedience to it. They were not concerned how that affected anyone else, they just wanted the people to believe they were where they told others they must be. They wanted the praise of men. Though from Jesus words we know they were hypocrites who did not practice what they preached. So they broke the second greatest commandment as well. Love your neighbour as yourself. The two greatest commandments upon which all the law hung were ignored. They hit rock bottom where righteousness was concerned. So: “unless your righteousness is better than the righteousness of the teachers of religious law and the Pharisees, you will never enter the Kingdom of Heaven!
And there is many around today with their attitude brother, even on internet debating websites!

Reactions: MatthewG

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Always, keep those first things [according to God] first!

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt 6:33

And then too... do not lose that first Love not cease to do those first works!

"Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.
Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent." Rev 2:4-5

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

While Jesus was on earth, God's people were under law Matt, he told them to do what they said, but not what they did basically. They did teach the truth. Now however we are under a new covenant, with new requirements. Jesus told some of them they were from their father the devil, they are certainly not examples for us to follow, but certainly can learn from the recorded account as they were included for our instruction Romans 15:4

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While Jesus was on earth, God's people were under law Matt, he told them to do what they said, but not what they did basically. They did teach the truth. Now however we are under a new covenant, with new requirements. Jesus told some of them they were from their father the devil, they are certainly not examples for us to follow, but certainly can learn from the recorded account as they were included for our instruction Romans 15:4
How can we do it...learn and obey?

"And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible." Mark 10:27

"But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth." Acts 1:8

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can we do it...learn and obey?

"And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible." Mark 10:27

"But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth." Acts 1:8

Isn't it nice living in the time period where we see Christ's brothers being so close to fulfilling that prophecy Amad? We are right there in the finalization, I have heard recently that 100 % of the world has access to the Bible now, I question whether that is true, but I know we are very close to finishing our assignment. Mat 24:14

Reactions: amadeus

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In regards to Matthew 5:20 - "unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven," this statement from Jesus would come as a shock to the multitude of people who had great admiration of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, for their knowledge of the law and seeming righteousness and holiness in external observance of the law, yet Jesus points out their righteousness was defective.

Paul makes it clear in Romans 10:3-4, "For they (Israel) being ignorant of God's righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God. For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who BELIEVES."

We see in the parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector an example of those who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, yet despised others. (Luke 18:9-14) We also see this today with various modern day Pharisees. The righteousness that exceeds the "righteousness of the scribes and the Pharisees" (self righteousness) is the righteousness of God which is from God by faith.

Philippians 3:9 - and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith.

Romans 3:21 - But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, 22
even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference.

Romans 4:5 - But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness, 6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isn't it nice living in the time period where we see Christ's brothers being so close to fulfilling that prophecy Amad? We are right there in the finalization, I have heard recently that 100 % of the world has access to the Bible now, I question whether that is true, but I know we are very close to finishing our assignment. Mat 24:14

Thank you for sharing your insights on how you see things. Robert.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In regards to Matthew 5:20 - "unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven," this statement from Jesus would come as a shock to the multitude of people who had great admiration of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, for their knowledge of the law and seeming righteousness and holiness in external observance of the law, yet Jesus points out their righteousness was defective.

Paul makes it clear in Romans 10:3-4, "For they (Israel) being ignorant of God's righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God. For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who BELIEVES."

We see in the parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector an example of those who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, yet despised others. (Luke 18:9-14) We also see this today with various modern day Pharisees. The righteousness that exceeds the "righteousness of the scribes and the Pharisees" (self righteousness) is the righteousness of God which is from God by faith.

Philippians 3:9 - and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith.

Romans 3:21 - But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, 22
even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference.

Romans 4:5 - But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness, 6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works.

You know what is going on, thank you for your post. Dan.

Reactions: mailmandan

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Always, keep those first things [according to God] first!

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt 6:33

And then too... do not lose that first Love not cease to do those first works!

"Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.
Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent." Rev 2:4-5

Thank you for the encouragement, AMA.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes... access to the Bible is good, but everyone always had access to God. When their hearts yearned for Him was He not also there? Sometimes it was with a Bible... but He was always there!

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Grace ! is what one needs ! For if you have no Grace ? what are you then.
One who has Christian Grace has Jesus as Christ in fact.
The Bible points out that Ones Faith can be not enough in fact ? Oh you of little faith ? remember that point ! and the point of another Faith that can move mountains ? big difference hey !
Faith can grow ! a little faith is better than non, but when faith matures she grows. Christian faith is the substance of Grace. Grace abounds in Christ Jesus.
One of no Grace is not worthy of Jesus.

The Pharisees had no Grace at all, for if they did they would of had eyes to see and ears to hear, who Jesus truly is.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No it was the right place you were fellowshipping with us all brother.

love you

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes... access to the Bible is good, but everyone always had access to God. When their hearts yearned for Him was He not also there? Sometimes it was with a Bible... but He was always there!

For sure, but of course those who had no knowledge of Him, would not be able to serve Him acceptably. There is an interesting account that might play in however, do you remember this:
(Acts 17:22-25) . . .“Men of Athens, I see that in all things you seem to be more given to the fear of the deities than others are. 23 For instance, while passing along and carefully observing your objects of veneration, I found even an altar on which had been inscribed ‘To an Unknown God.’ Therefore, what you are unknowingly worshipping, this I am declaring to you. 24 The God who made the world and all the things in it, being, as he is, Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in handmade temples; 25 nor is he served by human hands as if he needed anything, because he himself gives to all people life and breath and all things. . .

We see that Jehovah sent Paul to them because they were a sincere people, who simply had not found out who the true God was at that time. In our time period however, we see the fulfillment of Dan 12:4 so when Jesus returns, the Bible distinctly states that Jesus will destroy all those who do not know God, or obey the regulations of the faith 2 Thes 1:6-9. At least that is what I get out of the passage, hope I am in error in my understanding.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For sure, but of course those who had no knowledge of Him, would not be able to serve Him acceptably. There is an interesting account that might play in however, do you remember this:
(Acts 17:22-25) . . .“Men of Athens, I see that in all things you seem to be more given to the fear of the deities than others are. 23 For instance, while passing along and carefully observing your objects of veneration, I found even an altar on which had been inscribed ‘To an Unknown God.’ Therefore, what you are unknowingly worshipping, this I am declaring to you. 24 The God who made the world and all the things in it, being, as he is, Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in handmade temples; 25 nor is he served by human hands as if he needed anything, because he himself gives to all people life and breath and all things. . .

We see that Jehovah sent Paul to them because they were a sincere people, who simply had not found out who the true God was at that time. In our time period however, we see the fulfillment of Dan 12:4 so when Jesus returns, the Bible distinctly states that Jesus will destroy all those who do not know God, or obey the regulations of the faith 2 Thes 1:6-9. At least that is what I get out of the passage, hope I am in error in my understanding.
What we need to do... is all that we can with all that we have. Some have a lot of knowledge while others have very little knowledge... Should that not include knowledge of God and the things of God? Consider Jesus words:

"But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more." Luke 12:48

For very many centuries after Jesus opened up the closed door to Life, illiteracy was a very common thing in almost every nation on planet Earth. Being then unable to read a Bible, even if they had access to one, they really had less so would not God then require less of them?

Today, however, people living in these United States [and several other modern nations] are seldom illiterate and almost never without access to a Bible. In many other countries, as we know the situation is different.

"Much is given, much is required"! But people can still come unto Him and be given what God knows that they need.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What we need to do... is all that we can with all that we have. Some have a lot of knowledge while others have very little knowledge... Should that not include knowledge of God and the things of God? Consider Jesus words:

"But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more." Luke 12:48

For very many centuries after Jesus opened up the closed door to Life, illiteracy was a very common thing in almost every nation on planet Earth. Being then unable to read a Bible, even if they had access to one, they really had less so would not God then require less of them?

Today, however, people living in these United States [and several other modern nations] are seldom illiterate and almost never without access to a Bible. In many other countries, as we know the situation is different.

"Much is given, much is required"! But people can still come unto Him and be given what God knows that they need.

We need to go to Jehovah's mountain when invited sir Isa 2:2-4. While it would be nice that you can worship and serve God having it your way, God only accepts His people who follow His commandments. That is why when Jesus returns that God is not unrighteous when He has all those who do not know Him, or those who do not obey His commandments destroyed. 2 Thes 1:6-9

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We need to go to Jehovah's mountain when invited sir Isa 2:2-4. While it would be nice that you can worship and serve God having it your way, God only accepts His people who follow His commandments. That is why when Jesus returns that God is not unrighteous when He has all those who do not know Him, or those who do not obey His commandments destroyed. 2 Thes 1:6-9
From where and why are we invited?
And why the to the mountain?

"As the mountains are round about Jerusalem, so the LORD is round about his people from henceforth even for ever." Psalm 125:2

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.
My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth." Psalm 121:1-2

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." Matt 11:28-30

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From where and why are we invited?
And why the to the mountain?

"As the mountains are round about Jerusalem, so the LORD is round about his people from henceforth even for ever." Psalm 125:2

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.
My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth." Psalm 121:1-2

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." Matt 11:28-30

People have been invited from the time of the new covenant Amad, and it has always been through the disciples sent by Christ. The passage in Isa was for the last days, perhaps you realize that there was to be an apostasy, and although Jehovah never leaves Himself without witness, it would appear to most that would be the case, many refer to it as the dark ages. By the end of the apostles lives, there were many antichrists and the faith had practically died, it would not be until the crowning of Jesus that ushered in the last days that God would once again gather His people, as the prophecy in Isa indicates. Same mode of invitation, disciples would go out and say, Come let us go to the mountain of Jehovah, and be instructed about His ways and walk in His paths. And that is what exactly happened sir. It is not a literal mountain, nor is it His literal house, but there will be by now a well established number of people around the earth that worship the God of Jacob, and obey His laws, and live them. Since we are so deep into these last days, they are easily identified sir.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Yes He did.

But you are missing the scale of what Jesus is speaking about. The next step after the righteousness of the Pharisees is not the righteousness of God. You give the Pharisees way too much credit. The next step is to be honest, be humble and fear the Lord. All these things the Pharisees had left behind in their pursuit of religious excellence. And most modern believers are doing the very same thing...in their headlong rush to justify themselves for their religious beliefs.

This is false. The Pharisees justified themselves by the devotion to the law of Moses. Modern Pharisees put their "trust" in the death, burial, pain, and resurrection of Jesus. What is that supposed to mean? to put your trust...trust in what? An evangelical salvation scheme?The Lord wants you to leave all and follow Him...not take a religious stance on what He did. Posturing does not fulfill the will of God. Many will find this out too late....there will be weeping and anger when all is revealed.

We are justified by walking in the same life that Jesus did to partake of His victory over sin, the devil and the world. We are to overcome as Jesus did by putting on His perfection. We are to put on Christ...and in Him is no sin.

In the past...before Christ came...only Jesus could have done what He did. But Jesus is resurrected from the dead. And He wants to give you His life and power so that you can fulfill the righteousness of the law of God just as He did. Hear the gospel...come out of the Old Testament. :)

Last edited: