Was Jesus literate?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Likely yes.

The boy Jesus showed promising intelligence in Luke 2:

46 After three days they [Jesus' parents] found him in the temple, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. 47 And all who heard him were amazed at his understanding and his answers.
When he began his public ministry, his disciples called him rabbi, John 1:

38 Turning around, Jesus saw them following and asked, “What do you want?” They said, “Rabbi” (which means “Teacher”), “where are you staying?”
He read in Luke 4:

16 He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom. He stood up to read,
The locals were impressed with his preaching. Matthew 13:

54 and coming to his hometown he taught them in their synagogue, so that they were astonished, and said, “Where did this man get this wisdom and these mighty works?
He wrote in John 8:

5 Now in the Law, Moses commanded us to stone such women. So what do you say?” 6This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground.
Jesus had the intellectual competence to acquire reading and writing skills. He presented a proof by contradiction to the Saddacees.

He disputed with the Pharisees on a few occasions.

He outsmarted Pilate when Pilate tried to get him to incriminate himself.

Many OT prophets were literate. Matthew and Paul were literate.

Was Jesus literate?

I do think so.

How did he learn?

I don't know, but it would not be difficult for him to learn. He had the natural brain hardware for it.

Reactions: Chains Broken

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Was Jesus literate?​

You ask the most inane questions.....for what purpose?

Reactions: O'Darby

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Likely yes.

The boy Jesus showed promising intelligence in Luke 2:

When he began his public ministry, his disciples called him rabbi, John 1:

He read in Luke 4:

The locals were impressed with his preaching. Matthew 13:

He wrote in John 8:

Jesus had the intellectual competence to acquire reading and writing skills. He presented a proof by contradiction to the Saddacees.

He disputed with the Pharisees on a few occasions.

He outsmarted Pilate when Pilate tried to get him to incriminate himself.

Many OT prophets were literate. Matthew and Paul were literate.

Was Jesus literate?

I do think so.

How did he learn?

I don't know, but it would not be difficult for him to learn. He had the natural brain hardware for it.
Yes, I think Jesus was literate. I think he was God in flesh, and I'm quite sure God could read and write.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think he was literate too -- but not for the reason you mention. (Was he able to read and write at age 3 months?)
As far as reading at the age of three months, God already knows what's in the book.

As far as writing at the age of three months, nothing is impossible for the Lord.

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He created the language that you speak of and was he literate in it? Lol! That's a good one.

Scripture doesnt really say that Jesus told the disciples that He was a Rabbi. They knew it right off by the way that Jesus walked.

I read some stuff one time that said that Rabbi training included the student to be yoked to his master. And so they had to get used to walking how thier master walked and learned to walk like the master. So anyone seeing a Rabbi back then could probably even tell you which sect of Rabbis he came from from his stride.

When a Rabbi chose a student to learn his ways, it was said to be a great honor bestowed upon the student to be hailed over by a Rabbi! And perhaps a dishonor to refuse a Rabbi? I dunno what happened if they said no, but Jesus was like, I'll take you and you and you and you, leave your boat, leave your dead dad and follow me, let's go! So they could not refuse Him!

And the Bible is sort of vague about Jesus's life between 12 yrs old and about 29 or 30? HHe was all man so was prolly off somewhere learning to be a Rabbi? It makes sense.

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As far as reading at the age of three months, God already knows what's in the book.

As far as writing at the age of three months, nothing is impossible for the Lord.
Both are true, Bob. But knowing what is in "the book" (not sure which book you have in mind) and being able to read are two different things. And it being possible for a three month old to write if God wants to enable that, and God having actually enabled that, are two different things.

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Both are true, Bob. But knowing what is in "the book" (not sure which book you have in mind) and being able to read are two different things. And it being possible for a three month old to write if God wants to enable that, and God having actually enabled that, are two different things.

The book of Enoch says that, when Noah was born, he was born glowing and speaking praises to God! This scared the pee out of everyone there so they went to Enoch (the grandfather) and asked him what's up with our newborn?! And Enoch told them everything is ok with the child. Don't worry a bit...

So how much more so Jesus? He was all man and all God so he prolly wasnt literate at a week old but I bet you caught on real fast. Maybe from birth? He never sinned, so he never fell from His Fathers grace. So He had the mind of the Father on top of walking it all out as a man.

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The book of Enoch says that, when Noah was born, he was born glowing and speaking praises to God! This scared the pee out of everyone there so they went to Enoch (the grandfather) and asked him what's up with our newborn?! And Enoch told them everything is ok with the child. Don't worry a bit...

So how much more so Jesus? He was all man and all God so he prolly wasnt literate at a week old but I bet you caught on real fast. Maybe from birth? He never sinned, so he never fell from His Fathers grace. So He had the mind of the Father on top of walking it all out as a man.
I just checked Phil. 2:6-7, and sure enough, YOU ARE RIGHT! It says "who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself of everything except literacy, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men."

Reactions: MA2444

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, but since I believe that Jesus was God in flesh, even as a three-month-year old, I would think there was nothing the three-month baby couldn't do, had God chosen to do it. You don't see him part the Red Sea every day, but he can do it.

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
At some point, these discussions become yet another Monty Python skit:

Could Jesus fix the transmission on a 1984 Ford F-150? Could Jesus tell you how to fix that problem you're having with Windows 11?

Yer dang tootin' He could, if He wanted to. But He intentionally limited that sort of omniscience because, because ... well, because He did.

OK, whatever.

Last edited: