Was Jesus sent to rule as the Messiah or was he sent to die for the sins of humanity?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In reference to did He come to die or rule?
Am I misunderstanding one is said to be future?
Lets see if this may help. Jesus read this from Isaiah.

“The Spirit of the Lord God is upon Me,
Because the Lord has anointed Me
To preach good tidings to the poor;
He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted,
To proclaim liberty to the captives,
And the opening of the prison to those who are bound;
2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord,

He stopped here. I think we can agree. this is when jesus came to heal, proclaim liberty and open the prison to those who are bound via the gosp0el.. in other words. to save the people.. (he did this by the cross.

He left out the rest of the passage from the prophet.. We see there God said this

2b. And the day of vengeance of our God;
To comfort all who mourn,
3 To console those who mourn in Zion,
To give them beauty for ashes,
The oil of joy for mourning,
The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness;
That they may be called trees of righteousness,
The planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified.”

4 And they shall rebuild the old ruins,
They shall raise up the former desolations,
And they shall repair the ruined cities,
The desolations of many generations.
5 Strangers shall stand and feed your flocks,
And the sons of the foreigner

Shall be your plowmen and your vinedressers.
6 But you shall be named the priests of the Lord,
They shall call you the servants of our God.
You shall eat the riches of the Gentiles,
And in their glory you shall boast.
7 Instead of your shame you shall have double honor,
And instead of confusion they shall rejoice in their portion.
Therefore in their land they shall possess double;
Everlasting joy shall be theirs.

8 “For I, the Lord, love justice;
I hate robbery for burnt offering;
I will direct their work in truth,
And will make with them an everlasting covenant.
9 Their descendants shall be known among the Gentiles,
And their offspring among the people.
All who see them shall acknowledge them,
That they are the posterity whom the Lord has blessed.”

10 I will greatly rejoice in the Lord,
My soul shall be joyful in my God;
For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation,
He has covered me with the robe of righteousness,
As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments,
And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.
11 For as the earth brings forth its bud,
As the garden causes the things that are sown in it to spring forth,
So the Lord God will cause righteousness and praise to spring forth before all the nations.

The question is.. When will/did this happen? Is it past or Future?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lets see if this may help. Jesus read this from Isaiah.

“The Spirit of the Lord God is upon Me,

He stopped here. I think we can agree. this is when jesus came to heal, proclaim liberty and open the prison to those who are bound via the gosp0el.. in other words. to save the people.. (he did this by the cross.

He left out the rest of the passage from the prophet.. We see there God said this

4 And they shall rebuild the old ruins,
5 Strangers shall stand and feed your flocks,

Shall be your plowmen and your vinedressers.
6 But you shall be named the priests of the Lord,
You shall eat the riches of the Gentiles,
And in their glory you shall boast.
7 Instead of your shame you shall have double honor,
And instead of confusion they shall rejoice in their portion.
Therefore in their land they shall possess double;
Everlasting joy shall be theirs.

8 “For I, the Lord, love justice;
I hate robbery for burnt offering;
I will direct their work in truth,
And will make with them an everlasting covenant.
9 Their descendants shall be known among the Gentiles,
And their offspring among the people.
All who see them shall acknowledge them,
That they are the posterity whom the Lord has blessed.”

10 I will greatly rejoice in the Lord,
My soul shall be joyful in my God;
For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation,
He has covered me with the robe of righteousness,
As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments,
And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.
11 For as the earth brings forth its bud,
As the garden causes the things that are sown in it to spring forth,
So the Lord God will cause righteousness and praise to spring forth before all the nations.

The question is.. When will/did this happen? Is it past or Future?
I have to go out to get some things done but I do want to share a perspective on the above later.

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Was Jesus sent to rule as the Messiah or was he sent to die for the sins of humanity?​

---------------------------------------
Died at the cross.
But is alive today.

Both.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A new name is given …that New name given being “New Jerusalem” which no one knows except those having received it.
Disagree with this part. Jerusalem is still called Jerusalem, but is utterly without SIN or Corruption.
People WITH God shall receive NEW Names.
2 Corinthians 5:17-21 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. [18] And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and has given to us the ministry of reconciliation; [19] To where, that God was in Christ, (seems the crucifixion was a turning point for rulership because even the word points to “God was in Christ”) reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and has committed unto us the word of reconciliation. [20] Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be you reconciled to God. [21] For he has made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. (That he rule in your hearts?)

Galatians 6:14-18 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world. [15] For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature. [16] And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God. [17] From henceforth let no man trouble me: for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus. [18] Brethren, the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen.

A new name is given …that New name given being “New Jerusalem” which no one knows except those having received it.
^all the mention of did He come to die or to rule? “save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world. [15] For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision avails any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.”

To me that says…by the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ …neither does God rule in the heart by “circumcision” nor “uncircumcised” but “a new creature” …did Jesus say the same “You must be born ANew!” What is a new name given “New Jerusalem “? Why take off the old and put on the New?
Circumcision IS a “part” of Gods Works IN a man VIA the man Receiving the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Spirit of the Lord God is upon Me,
Agree this is Jesus Christ …the anointed to preach the good news to the poor, to heal the broken-hearted, to proclaim Liberty to the captives; for whom the Son sets free is free indeed—to open the prison to those bound…and to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord.
He stopped here. I think we can agree
Yes. Agree He stopped there. But why He stopped there prior to the Resurrection is speculated. It doesn’t say why He stopped there. We fill in the blank…assuming He stopped because of…?
this is when jesus came to heal, proclaim liberty and open the prison to those who are bound via the gosp0el.. in other words. to save the people.. (he did this by the cross.
Agree. He told John; whenever John asked while sitting in prison soon to be beheaded… “should we look for another?” Jesus sent back word “John, the captives go free, the blind healed, the deaf hear…”
Agree …but why?
The day of the vengeance of our God. I know you may not agree but he stopped prior to the death AND Resurrection. Maybe He stopped at the “And” where His Resurrection unto Life —His Life—fulfills the latter part?

And they shall rebuild the old ruins,
We assume building, land and property. Those that be of you (Christ) will rebuild the old waste places. Paul was given the power of God —the grace of God—to “rebuild” “for edification” “for raising up the foundation of many generations” …it is the people …what is rebuilt in Christ and what is built upon the foundation of Christ; which is the people. The people are what has been ruined and wasted and torn down …it is the people repaired —the captives set free, prison doors opened to those bound, the brokenhearted- healed…good news preached to the poor. If there is a qualm with it being the people “raised up” and not man-made structures or dirt: To comfort all who mourn,

This all happened after the Resurrection of Christ. If saved by His death; how much more are we save “by His Life”? He stopped short of His death …but He Lives. Go hear someone speak of “a garment of praise” for the “spirit of heaviness” oil of joy for mourning. That couldn’t happen if He did not raise up again into Life. Paul says this …how if Christ did not rise again then “Faith is dead”

People.
Strangers shall stand and feed your flocks,

Shall be your plowmen and your vinedressers
People.
But you shall be named the priests of the Lord,
Isaiah 58:9-12 Then shall you call, and the LORD shall answer; you shall cry, and he shall say, Here I am. If you take away from the midst of you the yoke, the putting forth of the finger, and speaking vanity; [10] And if you draw out your soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall your light rise in obscurity, and your darkness be as the noonday: [11] And the LORD shall guide you continually, and satisfy your soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and you shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not.(Christ) [12] And they that shall be of You (Christ) shall build the old waste places: You (Christ) shall raise up (I have the power to lay it down, and raise it up again) the foundations of many generations; and You shall be called, The repairer of the breach, The restorer of paths to dwell in.

I get you’ll disagree. But if it paused because He stopped reading. Then it resumed upon His Resurrection. I think this because the Grace given of Paul from God through Christ …if you would consider it… Paul is told to “rebuild”. Same as “the power given to me from God through Christ is not for destruction but to rebuild(for your edification).” If we are waiting for literal land and structures to be rebuilt as the topic of what has been torn down or broken down…maybe then…yea wait for it. But edification is for rebuilding…which moves on past where He stopped reading prior to His death and Resurrection. Again Paul said “I am a master-builder” in Christ.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agree this is Jesus Christ …the anointed to preach the good news to the poor, to heal the broken-hearted, to proclaim Liberty to the captives; for whom the Son sets free is free indeed—to open the prison to those bound…and to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord.

Yes. Agree He stopped there. But why He stopped there prior to the Resurrection is speculated. It doesn’t say why He stopped there. We fill in the blank…assuming He stopped because of…?

Agree. He told John; whenever John asked while sitting in prison soon to be beheaded… “should we look for another?” Jesus sent back word “John, the captives go free, the blind healed, the deaf hear…”

Agree …but why?

The day of the vengeance of our God. I know you may not agree but he stopped prior to the death AND Resurrection. Maybe He stopped at the “And” where His Resurrection unto Life —His Life—fulfills the latter part?

We assume building, land and property. Those that be of you (Christ) will rebuild the old waste places. Paul was given the power of God —the grace of God—to “rebuild” “for edification” “for raising up the foundation of many generations” …it is the people …what is rebuilt in Christ and what is built upon the foundation of Christ; which is the people. The people are what has been ruined and wasted and torn down …it is the people repaired —the captives set free, prison doors opened to those bound, the brokenhearted- healed…good news preached to the poor. If there is a qualm with it being the people “raised up” and not man-made structures or dirt: To comfort all who mourn,

This all happened after the Resurrection of Christ. If saved by His death; how much more are we save “by His Life”? He stopped short of His death …but He Lives. Go hear someone speak of “a garment of praise” for the “spirit of heaviness” oil of joy for mourning. That couldn’t happen if He did not raise up again into Life. Paul says this …how if Christ did not rise again then “Faith is dead”

People.

People.

Isaiah 58:9-12 Then shall you call, and the LORD shall answer; you shall cry, and he shall say, Here I am. If you take away from the midst of you the yoke, the putting forth of the finger, and speaking vanity; [10] And if you draw out your soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall your light rise in obscurity, and your darkness be as the noonday: [11] And the LORD shall guide you continually, and satisfy your soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and you shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not.(Christ) [12] And they that shall be of You (Christ) shall build the old waste places: You (Christ) shall raise up (I have the power to lay it down, and raise it up again) the foundations of many generations; and You shall be called, The repairer of the breach, The restorer of paths to dwell in.

I get you’ll disagree. But if it paused because He stopped reading. Then it resumed upon His Resurrection. I think this because the Grace given of Paul from God through Christ …if you would consider it… Paul is told to “rebuild”. Same as “the power given to me from God through Christ is not for destruction but to rebuild(for your edification).” If we are waiting for literal land and structures to be rebuilt as the topic of what has been torn down or broken down…maybe then…yea wait for it. But edification is for rebuilding…which moves on past where He stopped reading prior to His death and Resurrection. Again Paul said “I am a master-builder” in Christ.
To say it easier…I’m not convinced He stopped reading as proof of …a pause. But He also could have left off reading going to lay down His Life and take His Life up again. Then the upper room where He told them Power would be sent to them. Who are those spoken of in the prophets where it says “and those that be of You will rebuild” is it Peter? Is Paul? Is it John? Is it His lambs? Is it those that hear His voice? Is it those of Him? Of His Spirit? Who are “and those that be of you will raise it up. They will rebuild”?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Disagree with this part. Jerusalem is still called Jerusalem, but is utterly without SIN or Corruption.
People WITH God shall receive NEW Names.
Revelation 3:12 Him that overcomes will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

Revelation 21:1-3 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. [2] And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. [3] And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

Revelation 2:17 - 17 He that has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says unto the churches; To him that overcomes will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knows (or has seen) except he that receives it. (John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.)

I don’t understand…are you saying it is not called “New Jerusalem” BUT is utterly without sin. If it is “utterly without sin” then is it “New”? It isn’t utterly without sin without Christ and if in Christ …then it is “New”? New Jerusalem. Why do you say “it is still called Jerusalem” yet without sin?

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Body of Christ is a Kingdom and Jesus is out King and we are not of this world and Jesus plainly stated His kingdom is not of this world in John 18:36 and the Apostle Paul in Romans 2:12. The Mosaic Law is the old law of works that was the old wine that could not be put in new wine skins (of Grace). Mark 2:22. The Body of Christ is separate from old testament program and Is of the New Covenant of Grace without the Law (of Moses)

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Revelation 3:12 Him that overcomes will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

Revelation 21:1-3 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. [2] And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. [3] And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

Revelation 2:17 - 17 He that has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says unto the churches; To him that overcomes will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knows (or has seen) except he that receives it. (John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.)

I don’t understand…are you saying it is not called “New Jerusalem” BUT is utterly without sin. If it is “utterly without sin” then is it “New”? It isn’t utterly without sin without Christ and if in Christ …then it is “New”? New Jerusalem. Why do you say “it is still called Jerusalem” yet without sin?
[12] Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

I think “new” is a description not the name, or it should have been Capitalized. ??

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[12] Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

I think “new” is a description not the name, or it should have been Capitalized. ??
Good point. Like Old Testament and New Testament? But it’s capitalized?

Still I will write upon him the name of my God
The name of the city of my God …even if the descriptive is “new” Jerusalem. I do see your point …but at the same time whether the city of God is not called by the name: New Jerusalem …it is still new, no? I will write upon him my new name?
Isaiah 62:2-7 And the Gentiles shall see your righteousness, and all kings your glory: and you shall be called by a new name, which the mouth of the LORD shall name. [3] You shall also be a crown of glory in the hand of the LORD, and a royal diadem in the hand of thy God. [4] you shall no more be termed Forsaken; neither shall your land any more be termed Desolate: but you shall be called Hephzi–bah, and your land Beulah: for the LORD delights in you, and your land shall be married. [5] For as a young man marries a virgin, so shall your sons marry you: and as the bridegroom rejoices over the bride, so shall your God rejoice over you. [6] I have set watchmen upon your walls, O Jerusalem, which shall never hold their peace day nor night: you that make mention of the LORD, keep not silence, [7] And give him no rest, till he establish, and till he make Jerusalem a praise in the earth.

Seems like what is being spoke to is a city being given a new name… Jerusalem? “no more be termed Forsaken; neither shall your land any more be termed Desolate:”

I’m not sure how we conclude God gives us all a new name but instead as you mentioned “new” is descriptive. I’m not saying I don’t want the Lord to give me a new name …same as others. I’m only saying it appears the city of God is the topic of a new name. As in “no more termed forsaken”

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Was Jesus sent to rule as the Messiah or was he sent to die for the sins of humanity?​

Jesus came (was sent) to reveal the truth of God's character and we (humanity) hated him for it so we murdered him.
His submission to our violence showed the Universe what God has always been like.....yes, Jesus Christ the same yesterday, today and forever. Hebrews 13:8

Being misrepresented even by those who deemed themselves God's people is the common story in the history of humanity.

• Love
Reactions: VictoryinJesus

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus came as
Priest
Prophet
King

He fulfilled all three roles.
He is not going to force anyone to bow their knee in subjugation....you either do so willingly or not. Free will choice.
However....
This Universe belongs to God as He is the one who created it....so if you do not bend the knee....find another Universe.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m not sure how we conclude God gives us all a new name but instead as you mentioned “new” is descriptive. I’m not saying I don’t want the Lord to give me a new name …same as others. I’m only saying it appears the city of God is the topic of a new name. As in “no more termed forsaken”

You are probably familiar with “new” names being given and exampled in Scripture.

Abram ~ Abraham
Simon ~ (surnamed, then called) Peter
Salem ~ (have seen it means Peace).
Jerusalem ~ (have seen it means Heritage of Peace)

Salem in Scripture ~ examples
Gen 14:18
Pss 76:2
Heb 7: 1-2

Marriages ~ the female receives a new Name, of her husbands surname.

Jesus Came to Earth, revealed as the Son of God and the Prince of Peace.
Isa 9:6

Jesus shall Return to Earth, (with Power ie Christ), as the KING of mortal kings. LORD of mortal lords.

Jesus shall be revealed is the Father of Peace.
Heb 7:2

Dan 2:37
1 Tim 6:15
Rev 17:14
Rev 19:16

Remember ALL things were CREATED…AND MADE…by God.

CREATED is one thing…of something that Did NOT Exist…THEN came into Existence…
1) by Gods idea, of His WILL
2) by God word, speaking His WILL
3) by Gods spirit, which is His POWER

MAKING is a Cause of Effect (by Gods Power) that CHANGES a CREATED thing.
Jesus: the MAKER
John 1:3
John 1: 10

A Created man (ADAM) WAS CAUSED to BE ALIVE.

Created men, Caused to be ALIVE, are naturally (Born): Unknowing of God, Not With God, thus Against God.

Created men, Born Naturally, have the Ability, and OFFERING, to hear, learn About God, FREELY CHOOSE, to BE WITH God or remain WITHOUT God.

Jesus, the Word of God, Offered His true Teaching ABOUT God.

Christ, the Power of God, Offered His MAKING (for a man WITH God Forever) to ANY man who Freely CHOOSES that Offering.
And such OFFERING (to be with God Forever) comes into fruition, by, through, of the Power of God, who IS Christ.

As Son of God, Jesus’ Heritage, Jesus’ Inheritance, IS:
Son, Prince, KING, LORD, Father, Kingdom, City, Throne, Heaven, Earth, PEACE.
And for WILLING men to Become MADE in His LIKENESS, and entitled to the Same sonship.

Glory to God,
Taken

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Agree …but why?

People.

People.

this is why I use this passage. i think it really brings the point home that I am about to make.

when one interprets prophecy. we see 2 General interpretive methods.

Literal - Interpret it as said, when you see the actual event happens. you can know (prove) itr was fulfilled

spiritual - The prophecy speaks of some spiritual truth or spiritual event. The problem with this interpretive procedure is there is no way to actually prove or know when these events actually will take place. thus no way to know if the prophecy is fulfilled or not.

Now concerning prophecy in general concerning the coming of the messiah/suffering servant (Jesus)

1. we can say with certainty that everything prophesied concerning what many call the 1st advent of Christ. Literally came true.

examples

In this passage, taken from Is 61
the anointed to preach the good news to the poor,
to heal the broken-hearted -
to proclaim Liberty to the captives; for whom the Son sets free is free indeed—
to open the prison to those bound…
and to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord.

all these things literally came true

other examples

He was born in Bethlehem - Micah 5: 2
He was born of a virgin - Is 7: 14
He would come out of Egypt - Hos 11: 1
he would be called a nazarine - Is 11: 1
he will be called Son of God - Ps 2: 7

Is 53
Will be silent before his accusers - vs 7
He was killed for the sin (transgressions) of his people - vs 8
They made his grave with the wicked Is vs 9
After he made his soul an offering for sin, he will be raised from the dead -vs 10
He bore the sin of many and made intercession for the transgressors - vs 12

he will be struck and spit on - Is 50: 6

Ps 22:
He will be despised and reproached - vs 6
it will be said "“He trusted in the Lord, let Him rescue Him;" vs 8
I am poured out like water, And all My bones are out of joint; My heart is like wax; It has melted within Me.
My strength is dried up like a potsherd, And My tongue clings to My jaws; You have brought Me to the dust of death. (medical systems of being hung on a cross) - vs 14 - 15
His hands and feet will be pierced - vs 16
His garments will be divided and cast for lots - vs 18

there are many many more. But I hope you see the point. All these things have literally been fulfilled

what we have here is a guide and a tool to help us interpret all prophecy.

If All prophecy concerning a person or event up to a point is interpreted literally. then by precedence, everything that has not occurred will be literally fulfilled also.

We can say this with confidence. We do not have to guess, well what did he mean here. or what does this mean. We just take it that when God says this will happen. it will.

so the reason Jesus stopped. is because that is all he came for.. the rest of the passage is a future event.. Which with confidence we can say, since the part Jesus read came true. everything he did not say will literally come true also.

I have my guesses as to why people do not think we should do this. But I do not want to get into that now. But this is what I see. and I can be confidence, that this will be true. because again, I have historical precedence that all prophecy literally came true, so all future prophecy will also come true

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To say it easier…I’m not convinced He stopped reading as proof of …a pause. But He also could have left off reading going to lay down His Life and take His Life up again. Then the upper room where He told them Power would be sent to them. Who are those spoken of in the prophets where it says “and those that be of You will rebuild” is it Peter? Is Paul? Is it John? Is it His lambs? Is it those that hear His voice? Is it those of Him? Of His Spirit? Who are “and those that be of you will raise it up. They will rebuild”?
I am convinced he stopped because the rest of the passage spoke of something he would not do "today" it would come at a future time..

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Literal - Interpret it as said, when you see the actual event happens. you can know (prove) itr was fulfilled
Good points. “Literal -interpret as said, when you can (prove)it was fulfilled.” By sight.
spiritual - The prophecy speaks of some spiritual truth or spiritual event. The problem with this interpretive procedure is there is no way to actually prove or know when these events actually will take place. thus no way to know if the prophecy is fulfilled or not
By and through Faith in Christ. I really like what you said here “the problem with this interpretive procedure is there is no way to actually prove or know when these events will actually take place. Jesus Christ instructed Mark 11:21-22 And Peter calling to remembrance said unto him, Master, behold, the fig tree which thou cursed is withered away.
22 And Jesus answering said unto them, Have faith in God. (That which is withered can be restored —made whole again)

Not by sight but by Faith
in Christ. Love how you brought out literal can be proved and by Faith and not by sight can’t be proved. Yet
…Ephesians 5:10
Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

And also “we have the mind of Christ”?

In this passage, taken from Is 61
the anointed to preach the good news to the poor,
to heal the broken-hearted -
to proclaim Liberty to the captives; for whom the Son sets free is free indeed—
to open the prison to those bound…
and to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord.

all these things literally came true
Yes “all these literally came true” not by Faith but by sight. As it is can be proved. Good point!
John 20:24-29 Now Thomas, one of the twelve, called the Twin, was not with them when Jesus came. [25] So the other disciples told him, "We have seen the Lord." But he said to them, "Unless I see in his hands the mark of the nails, and place my finger into the mark of the nails, and place my hand into his side, I will never believe." [26] Eight days later, his disciples were inside again, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you." [27] Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here, and see my hands; and put out your hand, and place it in my side. Do not disbelieve, but believe." [28] Thomas answered him, "My Lord and my God!" [29] Jesus said to him, "Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

But you stopped in that passage as Jesus stopped after “all these things literally came true” …why do you stop at that exact point and not go on to show that part after He stopped saying “these things today are fulfilled” I can’t remember if He says “in your sight” or if I’m remembering incorrectly. But regardless He stops after the literal just as you stopped there at “all these things literally came true”

But that is the point I’m trying to make. What follows where He left off reading is “not by sight but by Faith in God.” Because even Jesus said “have Faith in God” and Jesus spoke of those coming because they hungered …I can’t remember exactly but he says you came for the fishes because you were literally hungry. And I fed you. But even there I don’t think He stopped off but teaches a day comes when you will hunger and thirst after God. Not for the bread that perishes, but for the bread that does not perish. And God (My Father) will feed you. Even there it is the literal which can be proved “I fed you fish because you were hungry” but there is also the Spiritual which can’t be proven but is by Faith in God “if any thirst let Him come drink.” “If any be hungry give him bread to eat.” “I am the bread …broken for you.”

Again, you stopped off reading after the literal. In that passage but what about the Spiritual that comes after He left off reading? Do we then say it is literal only future? Or by Faith? I agree He stopped because it was to come later. But how do we know it “Faith” was not to come upon His resurrection from the dead? I can’t stress enough that you also stopped at the literal but I have a feeling …you stopped there because of it is said (by men) there is a pause and He will literally fulfill the rest. But to me …what follows after He stopped off reading is “Spiritual” “Life”. As He said “I am the way. I am the truth. I am the Life.” I do think those waiting in the upper room for power given from on High and Paul receiving Grace to rebuild not what he’d torn down but to build up and edify Christ …all are called “trees of righteousness” that borne the fruit of the Spirit of God. As He told them “you can’t yet bear, but you will.” Because the Spirit came to them …where Jesus said I have to go, if I go “the comforter” will come to you “and He will speak of Me and tell you things to come”
Isaiah 61:2-11 To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn; [3] To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy(rejoice. I say it again Rejoice!) for mourning, the garment of praise (sings songs of praise) for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified(it is the Fathers Will that you bear Fruit) . [4] And they shall build (be careful how you build upon the foundation of Christ) the old wastes, they shall raise up (a prayer of faith will raise those sick up) the former desolations, and they shall repair the waste cities, the desolations of many generations. “If these things the fruit of Christ, by and through Christ” be in you and increasing, will not be barren …nor desolate nor waste(for all the word is profitable in instruction of righteousness … in the knowledge of Jesus Christ) 5] And strangers shall stand and feed your flocks, and the sons of the alien shall be your plowmen and your vinedressers. (Literal?) [6] But ye shall be named the Priests of the LORD: men shall call you the Ministers of our God: ye shall eat the riches of the Gentiles, and in their glory shall ye boast yourselves. [7] For your shame ye shall have double; and for confusion (they were made blind that you may see, if their being made blind be the riches of the gentiles, how much more there fullness will the receiving of them be) they shall rejoice in their portion: therefore in their land they shall possess the double: everlasting joy shall be unto them. (They preached these things; not unto themselves but to us) 8] For I the LORD love judgment, I hate robbery for burnt offering; and I will direct their work in truth, and I will make an everlasting covenant with them. [9] And their seed shall be known among the Gentiles, and their offspring among the people: all that see them shall acknowledge them, that they are the seed which the LORD hath blessed(one seed Christ). [10] I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me (Put on the New Man) with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels. [11] For as the earth bringeth forth her bud, and as the garden causeth the things that are sown in it to spring forth; (from the other passage “you will be a well watered garden, waters which fail not” (I will give you to drink. This water fails. But the water I give unto you does not fail.) so the Lord GOD will cause righteousness and praise to spring forth (which Fruit is by and through Christ) before all the nations.

^That is the rest of where you left off after saying “this is literal and can be proved” …what follows is Spiritual. Maybe that is why He also stopped off reading prior to the Resurrection. But many will tell you He stopped only because of time and what follows will be literal. I’m sorry but this is only my opinion…this is what has people trapped in saying in heaven there will be trees which bear food to eat like “oranges” and “Apple” trees. What is not good enough about “trees of righteousness” that bear fruit of “love, mercy, truth, brotherly kindness, peace, joy, patience , temperance, hope, long suffering, forgiveness” all things by and through Christ which is Life and sustains Life? “I will give you to eat of the Tree of Life” This was and is the fruit of the trees of righteousness planted of the LORD. But people are left debating at church functions if it will be orange or apple or pomegranate. I get that is debatable because you are right. I can’t prove trees of righteousness bear the FRUIT of the Spirit of God because again you are right…it is by faith and not by sight. Not as in “these things literally happened” as in it is the Fathers Will that you bear “orange” “apple” and “pomegranate” but instead Fruit the Spirit of God which comes by and through Faith in the Righteousness of Christ. God feed not so much I forget you and curse your name, but also don’t let me be so hungry that I steal.

Last edited:

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good points. “Literal -interpret as said, when you can (prove)it was fulfilled.” By sight.
I would remove the when.. If we only literally interpret when we can prove it was fulfilled.. Then prophecy in my view has no purpose.. anyone can make prophecy say whatever they want it to say
By and through Faith in Christ. I really like what you said here “the problem with this interpretive procedure is there is no way to actually prove or know when these events will actually take place. Jesus Christ instructed Mark 11:21-22 And Peter calling to remembrance said unto him, Master, behold, the fig tree which thou cursed is withered away.
22 And Jesus answering said unto them, Have faith in God. (That which is withered can be restored —made whole again)
But there is actually a way to prove or know when the event took or takes place. when it happens.

if it has not happened yet. We can know it has not been fulfilled.

Not by sight but by Faith in Christ. Love how you brought out literal can be proved and by Faith and not by sight can’t be proved. Yet
…Ephesians 5:10
Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

And also “we have the mind of Christ”?
We are talking about prophecy. Not about faith

Yes “all these literally came true” not by Faith but by sight. As it is can be proved. Good point!
John 20:24-29 Now Thomas, one of the twelve, called the Twin, was not with them when Jesus came. [25] So the other disciples told him, "We have seen the Lord." But he said to them, "Unless I see in his hands the mark of the nails, and place my finger into the mark of the nails, and place my hand into his side, I will never believe." [26] Eight days later, his disciples were inside again, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you." [27] Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here, and see my hands; and put out your hand, and place it in my side. Do not disbelieve, but believe." [28] Thomas answered him, "My Lord and my God!" [29] Jesus said to him, "Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

But you stopped in that passage as Jesus stopped after “all these things literally came true” …why do you stop at that exact point and not go on to show that part after He stopped saying “these things today are fulfilled” I can’t remember if He says “in your sight” or if I’m remembering incorrectly. But regardless He stops after the literal just as you stopped there at “all these things literally came true”

But that is the point I’m trying to make. What follows where He left off reading is “not by sight but by Faith in God.” Because even Jesus said “have Faith in God” and Jesus spoke of those coming because they hungered …I can’t remember exactly but he says you came for the fishes because you were literally hungry. And I fed you. But even there I don’t think He stopped off but teaches a day comes when you will hunger and thirst after God. Not for the bread that perishes, but for the bread that does not perish. And God (My Father) will feed you. Even there it is the literal which can be proved “I fed you fish because you were hungry” but there is also the Spiritual which can’t be proven but is by Faith in God “if any thirst let Him come drink.” “If any be hungry give him bread to eat.” “I am the bread …broken for you.”

Again, you stopped off reading after the literal. In that passage but what about the Spiritual that comes after He left off reading? Do we then say it is literal only future? Or by Faith? I agree He stopped because it was to come later. But how do we know it “Faith” was not to come upon His resurrection from the dead? I can’t stress enough that you also stopped at the literal but I have a feeling …you stopped there because of it is said (by men) there is a pause and He will literally fulfill the rest. But to me …what follows after He stopped off reading is “Spiritual” “Life”. As He said “I am the way. I am the truth. I am the Life.” I do think those waiting in the upper room for power given from on High and Paul receiving Grace to rebuild not what he’d torn down but to build up and edify Christ …all are called “trees of righteousness” that borne the fruit of the Spirit of God. As He told them “you can’t yet bear, but you will.” Because the Spirit came to them …where Jesus said I have to go, if I go “the comforter” will come to you “and He will speak of Me and tell you things to come”
Isaiah 61:2-11 To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn; [3] To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy(rejoice. I say it again Rejoice!) for mourning, the garment of praise (sings songs of praise) for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified(it is the Fathers Will that you bear Fruit) . [4] And they shall build (be careful how you build upon the foundation of Christ) the old wastes, they shall raise up (a prayer of faith will raise those sick up) the former desolations, and they shall repair the waste cities, the desolations of many generations. “If these things the fruit of Christ, by and through Christ” be in you and increasing, will not be barren …nor desolate nor waste(for all the word is profitable in instruction of righteousness … in the knowledge of Jesus Christ) 5] And strangers shall stand and feed your flocks, and the sons of the alien shall be your plowmen and your vinedressers. (Literal?) [6] But ye shall be named the Priests of the LORD: men shall call you the Ministers of our God: ye shall eat the riches of the Gentiles, and in their glory shall ye boast yourselves. [7] For your shame ye shall have double; and for confusion (they were made blind that you may see, if their being made blind be the riches of the gentiles, how much more there fullness will the receiving of them be) they shall rejoice in their portion: therefore in their land they shall possess the double: everlasting joy shall be unto them. (They preached these things; not unto themselves but to us) 8] For I the LORD love judgment, I hate robbery for burnt offering; and I will direct their work in truth, and I will make an everlasting covenant with them. [9] And their seed shall be known among the Gentiles, and their offspring among the people: all that see them shall acknowledge them, that they are the seed which the LORD hath blessed(one seed Christ). [10] I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me (Put on the New Man) with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels. [11] For as the earth bringeth forth her bud, and as the garden causeth the things that are sown in it to spring forth; (from the other passage “you will be a well watered garden, waters which fail not” (I will give you to drink. This water fails. But the water I give unto you does not fail.) so the Lord GOD will cause righteousness and praise to spring forth (which Fruit is by and through Christ) before all the nations.

^That is the rest of where you left off after saying “this is literal and can be proved” …what follows is Spiritual. Maybe that is why He also stopped off reading prior to the Resurrection. But many will tell you He stopped only because of time and what follows will be literal. I’m sorry but this is only my opinion…this is what has people trapped in saying in heaven there will be trees which bear food to eat like “oranges” and “Apple” trees. What is not good enough about “trees of righteousness” that bear fruit of “love, mercy, truth, brotherly kindness, peace, joy, patience , temperance, hope, long suffering, forgiveness” all things by and through Christ which is Life and sustains Life? “I will give you to eat of the Tree of Life” This was and is the fruit of the trees of righteousness planted of the LORD. But people are left debating at church functions if it will be orange or apple or pomegranate. I get that is debatable because you are right. I can’t prove trees of righteousness bear the FRUIT of the Spirit of God because again you are right…it is by faith and not by sight. Not as in “these things literally happened” as in it is the Fathers Will that you bear “orange” “apple” and “pomegranate” but instead Fruit the Spirit of God which comes by and through Faith in the Righteousness of Christ. God feed not so much I forget you and curse your name, but also don’t let me be so hungry that I steal.
Prophecy, what is the purpose of prophecy?

I think this might be where the disagreement comes from

can you tell us what is the purpose of prophecy? Why did God say when you see these things happen, you will know I am the lord you God..

Also. why did he say if a prophet prophecies and that thing does not come tru. you can reject him as a prophet because his words did nto come from God.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are probably familiar with “new” names being given and exampled in Scripture.

Abram ~ Abraham
Simon ~ (surnamed, then called) Peter
Salem ~ (have seen it means Peace).
Jerusalem ~ (have seen it means Heritage of Peace)

Salem in Scripture ~ examples
Gen 14:18
Pss 76:2
Heb 7: 1-2

Marriages ~ the female receives a new Name, of her husbands surname.

Jesus Came to Earth, revealed as the Son of God and the Prince of Peace.
Isa 9:6

Jesus shall Return to Earth, (with Power ie Christ), as the KING of mortal kings. LORD of mortal lords.

Jesus shall be revealed is the Father of Peace.
Heb 7:2

Dan 2:37
1 Tim 6:15
Rev 17:14
Rev 19:16

Remember ALL things were CREATED…AND MADE…by God.

CREATED is one thing…of something that Did NOT Exist…THEN came into Existence…
1) by Gods idea, of His WILL
2) by God word, speaking His WILL
3) by Gods spirit, which is His POWER

MAKING is a Cause of Effect (by Gods Power) that CHANGES a CREATED thing.
Jesus: the MAKER
John 1:3
John 1: 10

A Created man (ADAM) WAS CAUSED to BE ALIVE.

Created men, Caused to be ALIVE, are naturally (Born): Unknowing of God, Not With God, thus Against God.

Created men, Born Naturally, have the Ability, and OFFERING, to hear, learn About God, FREELY CHOOSE, to BE WITH God or remain WITHOUT God.

Jesus, the Word of God, Offered His true Teaching ABOUT God.

Christ, the Power of God, Offered His MAKING (for a man WITH God Forever) to ANY man who Freely CHOOSES that Offering.
And such OFFERING (to be with God Forever) comes into fruition, by, through, of the Power of God, who IS Christ.

As Son of God, Jesus’ Heritage, Jesus’ Inheritance, IS:
Son, Prince, KING, LORD, Father, Kingdom, City, Throne, Heaven, Earth, PEACE.
And for WILLING men to Become MADE in His LIKENESS, and entitled to the Same sonship.

Glory to God,
Taken
Yes I see names have significance. For example:
Isaiah 62:4 It will no longer be said to you, “Forsaken,” Nor to your land will it any longer be said, “Desolate”; But you will be called, “My delight is in her,” And your land, “Married”; For the Lord delights in you, And to Him your land will be married.

I’ve thought about a new name too. But to me a new name is descriptive as you said “descriptive” where new Jerusalem is not named “new Jerusalem” but instead as you said “Jerusalem” the new being lowercase as descriptive. But to me the descriptive is necessary. Vital. For example “they sing a new song” …if it is only “they sing a song” what song?

So I don’t get the debate over is it “new Jerusalem” or just “Jerusalem utterly without sin.” I don’t know about you but the descriptive “new” helps.

My mom named me “Vickie” …Vickie Lynn. Not Victoria because she said “Victoria” sounds black. I don’t mean that ugly but how she decided my name in the time she grew up in. But Vickie lynn …to me sounds country. Don’t think I haven’t considered the name “Victory” as in Victory in Him. All I meant was that the passage seems to not be talking about my name but Jerusalem not being called forsaken or desolate but “the Lord delights in you”. Hence “new” just as important as the “old” descriptive of Testament and “new” descriptive of Testament. It is crazy what we dispute over. Now we are rambling on about the “new” in Jerusalem. Again, I do get there is significance in names in the bible. I do. I’m only asking who is being spoken to there? That is all. I agree with my husband here…seeing his point also of who is it passage spoken to and do I run out immediately shouting “I’m getting a new name?” Maybe … “I am not longer termed bound but made free” “I am no longer termed imprisoned but delivered out from captivity” “I am no longer termed hated despised and rejected, but loved of God” “I am no longer termed a cast away but received of God” “I am no longer termed unapproved but approved of Him” “I am no longer termed as one who fails; but as one who does not fail in Him” “I am no longer termed dead but made Alive unto God through Christ” “I am not longer old but the old has passed away and all things have become new in Christ” …all descriptive or do I misunderstand? But also could be called a new name. All as you mentioned can be said of those that belong to Christ; as yes the husband gives his wife (body) a new name. Or descriptive.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are talking about prophecy. Not about faith
Revelation 19:10 - And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See you do it not: I am your fellowservant, and of your brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus IS the spirit of prophecy.

“We are talking about prophecy. not about faith.”

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prophecy, what is the purpose of prophecy?

I think this might be where the disagreement comes from

can you tell us what is the purpose of prophecy? Why did God say when you see these things happen, you will know I am the lord you God..
The purpose of prophecy i agree with you (if I understand you correctly) so that you will believe I am Him. And how God tells of things before they happen. So that when it happens you will know it is true which God said would happen …before it happens. Growing Faith in what God says? Exercising…teaching…growing …Trust in God?
Also. why did he say if a prophet prophecies and that thing does not come tru. you can reject him as a prophet because his words did nto come from God.
Because it is false.