Was Noah “saved by grace through faith”?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, you need to distinguish. Are you talking about Noah being saved from the flood or saved eternally from sin? You spoke in the opening post as if you were talking about being saved from sin. Perhaps I misunderstood.

Stranger
Are they different? Everybody Noah preached to decided not to obey. It was only his family that obeyed and was saved physically from the flood. Those that did not obey both perished physically and spiritually in the flood because they did not do as God instructed. You cannot be saved eternally in disobedience to God.

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just waiting for someone to say "Noah found grace because..." (insert Pelagian reasoning here)

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Noah found Grace with God BEFORE he was given the order to build the ark. Check the scripture:. Gen 6:8 is where it says Noah found Grace. Verse 14 is where God started giving instructions.

Building the ark is not when Noah found Grace or had faith. He was given the command because he already had it.

No. That's not what I am saying at all. I gave you a warning to read carefully.

Are you asking a question?

You really should read more carefully.

Do I believe the Patriarchs mentioned are in heaven? Absolutely. I never said anything to say they weren't. But when the died, they were not made perfect and they were not in "heaven". When Jesus died, they were freed. I have many verses to show that, but the best ones to show that are the concluding ones in Hebrews 11.
Are you saying Noah only received grace because he was a just man? How is that possible when titus tells us that the grace that brings salvation has appeared to ALL MEN. But we know that ALL MEN are not just individuals. Grace always comes first and it is not based on how good you are. Noah was not saved by “grace alone”. Without his obedience there would have been no salvation.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you saying Noah only received grace because he was a just man? How is that possible when titus tells us that the grace that brings salvation has appeared to ALL MEN. But we know that ALL MEN are not just individuals. Grace always comes first and it is not based on how good you are. Noah was not saved by “grace alone”. Without his obedience there would have been no salvation.
I believe Noah displays the workings of the Holy Spirit within Him, I definitely see long suffering, 120 years?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hades, but just remember there were 2 divided compartments of Hades, and a great expanse between the 2. Read the story about Lazarus and the Rich man, in Hades.

Luke 16:19–16:31

19“There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and who feasted sumptuously every day. 20And at his gate lay a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, 21who longed to satisfy his hunger with what fell from the rich man’s table; even the dogs would come and lick his sores. 22The poor man died and was carried away by the angels to be with Abraham. The rich man also died and was buried. 23In Hades, where he was being tormented, he looked up and saw Abraham far away with Lazarus by his side. 24He called out, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am in agony in these flames.’ 25But Abraham said, ‘Child, remember that during your lifetime you received your good things, and Lazarus in like manner evil things; but now he is comforted here, and you are in agony. 26Besides all this, between you and us a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who might want to pass from here to you cannot do so, and no one can cross from there to us.’ 27He said, ‘Then, father, I beg you to send him to my father’s house— 28for I have five brothers—that he may warn them, so that they will not also come into this place of torment.’ 29Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the prophets; they should listen to them.’ 30He said, ‘No, father Abraham; but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent.’ 31He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the prophets, neither will they be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’”

And you think I do not know the story of Lazarus! There is devil in the New Testament and there is a hell. You have been mixing up the Old and New Testament so long you cannot get it right. The only demon that the Jews believed in eventually was Lilith, and she is only mentioned once in the Hebrew Bible. Satan does not become the devil we know until the New Testament.. Look it up yourself and see what they believed in demons. If you notice, neither God nor the prophets are warning people about a demon that will tempt them. Satan may have done some dirty work in Eden, but God left him crawling on the ground.

The point here is that there was no salvation in the Old Testament. When people died they were gathered with their fathers in Shoal. There is no forgiveness of sins only sacrifices to appease the wrath of God. No threat of hell. No promise of heaven. No salvation.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The ark had three levels, kinda like heaven.
Someone posted Hell has two compartments.

Last edited:

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The dove sent from the ark found a place to rest

Luke 3:22 KJV
[22] And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.

Tecarta Bible

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you saying Noah only received grace because he was a just man?

No. You are confusing me with God. I didn't say it; God did. Gen 6:9.

that the grace that brings salvation has appeared to ALL MEN. But we know that ALL MEN are not just individuals

Well that doesn't even make sense. Of course not all men are individuals. Duh! The verse you are referring to says it APPEARED to all men... It doesn't say it applies to all men, that all men accepted it or that all men get it.

Noah was a just man in HIS generation. It doesn't matter what others thought because God said he was.

Grace always comes first and it is not based on how good you are.
Well that's odd... I agree but it's odd because...

Noah was not saved by “grace alone”. Without his obedience there would have been no salvation.
So then Grace really doesn't come first by your doctrine! You are contradicting yourself because you say Grace comes first and is not based on works, but then you say he wasn't saved by Grace alone but was based on his obedience on building the ark.

Noah had Grace first, but that Grace was based on him building the ark after he built it? That's unreasonable!

Reactions: Helen

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not getting at anything in particular just stating what I hear and see

Keep in mind that I am talking about the Old Testament.....There are a lot of changes between the Old Testament and the New Testament. Some of them not expected.

jshiii

Oct 15, 2008
North Pole
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And you think I do not know the story of Lazarus! There is devil in the New Testament and there is a hell. You have been mixing up the Old and New Testament so long you cannot get it right. The only demon that the Jews believed in eventually was Lilith, and she is only mentioned once in the Hebrew Bible. Satan does not become the devil we know until the New Testament.. Look it up yourself and see what they believed in demons. If you notice, neither God nor the prophets are warning people about a demon that will tempt them. Satan may have done some dirty work in Eden, but God left him crawling on the ground.

The point here is that there was no salvation in the Old Testament. When people died they were gathered with their fathers in Shoal. There is no forgiveness of sins only sacrifices to appease the wrath of God. No threat of hell. No promise of heaven. No salvation.

Wait a second. i need to know what denomination you are to know how to respond? and what language to use? Are you catholic?

#SoManyDemominations
#SoManyCatholics
#EachNeedTheSameExplanationInTheirUnderstanding
#SIGHHHHHHH

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. You are confusing me with God. I didn't say it; God did. Gen 6:9.
God chose to work through Noah just like he chose to work through Cornelius in bringing the gospel to the gentiles. Cornelius was said to be just but it also says he needed to be saved.
What about Paul? Did he find grace in the eyes of the lord? Even while killing Christians? How is that?

Well that doesn't even make sense. Of course not all men are individuals. Duh! The verse you are referring to says it APPEARED to all men... It doesn't say it applies to all men, that all men accepted it or that all men get it.

Noah was a just man in HIS generation. It doesn't matter what others thought because God said he was.
Yes he was. But it seems like you are saying that he and he alone received grace because he was a just man. That is not correct. God chose to work through him because of who he was but others received grace as well. They could have believed, repented and built an ark of their own. But they didn’t.

So then Grace really doesn't come first by your doctrine! You are contradicting yourself because you say Grace comes first and is not based on works, but then you say he wasn't saved by Grace alone but was based on his obedience on building the ark.

Noah had Grace first, but that Grace was based on him building the ark after he built it? That's unreasonable!
There is no contradiction. Grace comes first. Then obedience. Then salvation. And yes, God did not provide grace through Christ because the world is just and faithful. Without grace there is no salvation.
Grace came providing us the means of salvation and now it’s up to each individual to believe and obey it. There is no contradiction.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wait a second. i need to know what denomination you are to know how to respond? and what language to use? Are you catholic?

I fellowship with the Baptists, the Lutherans, the Pentecosts, the Catholics, the Glad Tidings Assembly of God, Mormons, the Moravian Church and nearly a dozen non-denominational churches and I have had Jewish friends for most of my adult life.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They could have believed, repented and built an ark of their own. But they didn’t.
Why couldn’t they have just got on the ark with Noah and his family?
Do you believe Noah was trying to recruit workers, or was he saying get on the boat.
You’ll be safe?