Was the Sabbath kept prior to the Commandments at Sinai?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Under the New Covenant... we are to enter in to resting IN Christ with our entire lives, walking with Him by faith having ceased from our own work.

This is a far superior rest than Saturday sabbath ever produced!

It's one of the reasons why the old covenant was taken away so the New Covenant could be established as the Lord wanted to bring forth better promises. Resting IN Christ receiving the peace He gives is much better than taking Saturday off from work.
Most people have to work to earn a living, till they reach a certain age. They need a day of rest each week.

It's true that if we walk with the Lord, our burden becomes much lighter.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most people have to work to earn a living, till they reach a certain age. They need a day of rest each week.

It's true that if we walk with the Lord, our burden becomes much lighter.

No argument there. I actually rest on the weekends which is 2 days a week!

But, I don't claim that I'm doing this in order to be in right standing with the Lord as adherents to Saturday sabbath suppose.

There's a much higher level of rest available to those in the New Covenant that are abiding IN Christ.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I actually rest on the weekends which is 2 days a week!

But, I don't claim that I'm doing this in order to be in right standing with the Lord as adherents to Saturday sabbath suppose.

Which "Saturday sabbath adherent" expressed a supposition that you rest on the 2-day weekends in order to be in right standing with the LORD?

Or are you just shoveling more ad hominem?

There's a much higher level of rest available to those in the New Covenant that are abiding IN Christ.

No argument there. Without that higher rest, no one is even able to keep the eternal, literal reading of the 4th commandment or any of the 9 others, for that matter.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which "Saturday sabbath adherent" expressed a supposition that you rest on the 2-day weekends in order to be in right standing with the LORD?

Now you know that I never said that resting 2 days a week makes me or anyone else in right standing with the Lord.

You're just in desperation slinging anything against the wall in hopes something sticks!
And then playing the fake "Us sabbatarians are being attacked ad hominem style"

Maybe you need to start resting 3 days a week and up your game! waving.gif
I'm resting IN Christ... even when I'm working! In fact, the Lord comes to work with me!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now you know that I never said that resting 2 days a week makes me or anyone else in right standing with the Lord.

Agreed, but there seems to be a reading comprehension difficulty, because I never said that you did.

You said:

I actually rest on the weekends which is 2 days a week! But, I don't claim that I'm doing this in order to be in right standing with the Lord as adherents to Saturday sabbath suppose.

This strongly implies, if not saying outright, that you believe "Saturday sabbath adherents" suppose that you rest on 2-day weekends "in order to be in right standing with the Lord."

I'm simply asking for proof of this supposition on the part of "Saturday sabbath adherents."

Otherwise, you've unclearly stated that Sabbatarians suppose that they, themselves are keeping either the Sabbath or a 2-day weekend "in order to be in right standing with the Lord," which is just another fallacious argument.

I can't help it if you're not saying what you mean clearly enough.

Because you make all kinds of wild claims, and then when asked to clarify them, you simply ignore the requests and double down on your demand for a direct command to keep the 4th commandment from the NT.

You're just in desperation slinging anything against the wall in hopes something sticks!

No desperation is required to support that which is true, because it has the luxury of limitless evidence

IOW, I got a million of 'em.

We could talk about why Christ would say that His disciples should pray that their flight from the Roman attack on Jerusalem in 70 AD should not fall on the Sabbath DAY, if the Sabbath DAY was no longer to be kept.

But seeking what amounts to a SIGN (akin to that of which wicked and perverse generations do) in demanding a direct command to keep the 4th commandment from an isolated portion of Scripture all of which is profitable for doctrine, reproof, correction, etc., is a fallacious argument known as "special pleading," and possibly the lowest kind of neo-Christian loophole-ism, which Christ was well aware of when he addressed his accusers.

And then playing the fake "Us sabbatarians are being attacked ad hominem style"

Do you deny making claims that Sabbatarians teach that all those who do not keep the Sabbath will go to hell?

Or that I'm using desperate measures in hopes that "something will stick?" Ascribing devious motives to an opponent in a debate is ad hominem.

You've somewhat cleverly blended these with the genetic fallacy ("well, it's from ________ —in this case Sabbatarians or Adventists—so it must be bad"), but the tactic is common and clear. If you're doing it unintentionally, you should probably avoid it so your arguments carry more weight.

Would you like me to provide a list of all the character accusations you've made?

Maybe you need to start resting 3 days a week and up your game!
waving.gif

Obnoxious absurdity

I'm resting IN Christ... even when I'm working!

You might be resting in Christ from works as a means to secure salvation, but if you work on the Sabbath, you're not resting according to the commandment.

In fact, the Lord comes to work with me!

No doubt. I would expect nothing less. He is with us always.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What others do/ think/ believe Hobie, is their business. When I leave their business in their court I am not burdened with what isn't my business. I leaves me free to love them and work on my own flaws. :)
What if it is someone very close to you or a loved one, do we let our heart go cold and let then fall into evils hold and feel the wrath of God at the end..

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What if it is someone very close to you or a loved one, do we let our heart go cold and let then fall into evils hold and feel the wrath of God at the end..
Consider God's situation....his loved ones. Could we learn from that?

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Consider God's situation....his loved ones. Could we learn from that?

The Lord can never turn away from the Truth of His Word... if someone turns away from the Lord, He still loves them but they become separated from Him and are lost as they have decided to no longer abide in Christ.

They must confess and forsake their sin to get back in eight standing with the Lord because God is not mocked, what we sow is what we reap... to say otherwise is to mick God according to Gal 6:7,8... and yet some do exactly that and opposed God's Word! crazy.gif

Reactions: amadeus

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Looking at Creation with Adam and Eve there, when God created the Sabbath we can see that they knew very well about the Sabbath before the Commandments were written on the stone tablets at Sinai.

Genesis 2:2-3
2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.
There is no denying that God was here setting aside the Sabbath as holy time and its clear that Adam and Eve were not Jewish. "God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it" before sin entered. "Sanctified" means "to be set apart for holy use." The only ones in the Garden of Eden for whom the Sabbath was 'set apart' were Adam and Eve, who werent Jewish.

Is it logical to believe that God first created man, then the Sabbath, and then failed to mention to man that the seventh day was holy time in the weekly cycle, of course not. God must have immediately explained to Adam all about His sacred seventh day and how to observe His day as He wanted it to be observed. Everyone would have known of it from them, and would have kept the Sabbath if they followed God, in the time before Sinai. The Hebrew word translated "sanctified" in Genesis 2:3 and "hallowed" in Exodus 20:11 is qadash, a word meaning "to hallow, to pronounce holy, to consecrate, to set apart for holy use."

Abel and even Cain knew about what God had set up at Creation from their parents and giving sacrifices unto God, and notice what it says in Genesis 4..
Genesis 4:3
And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the Lord.

At that point, the only length of time was the week, as it wasnt counted then in months and years. The words "in process of time" are translated from the Hebrew mikkets yamim, meaning "at the end of the days." This can only be telling us that on the Sabbath, Cain and Abel, with the rest of Adam's family, gathered to worship God. So its basically when the week 'came to pass', or the weekly end, the seventh day that God had blessed and sanctified, or made holy. It is just not reasonable to think that God would make the Sabbath for man and then keep it from him for over 2000 years until Moses at Sinai. The very fact that the seven-day week existed as the weekly cycle, even till today, is good evidence the Sabbath also existed from Creation.

If you look, a week of seven days is frequently mentioned in Bible, so the patriarchs knew of the weekly cycle of the Creator who made the Sabbath. In Genesis we see that Noah was clearly acquainted with a seven-day week.
Genesis 7:4
For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth.
Genesis 8:10
And he stayed yet other seven days; and again he sent forth the dove out of the ark;
Genesis 8:12
And he stayed yet other seven days; and sent forth the dove; which returned not again unto him any more.

Unless the Sabbath was their pivot of time, people then could not have used such a measure of days. If fact the margin rendering of Genesis 7:10 is "on the seventh day," a reference to nothing but the Sabbath. You can be sure that Noah, a just man who walked with God knew about the weekly cycle, and kept God's seventh-day that He blessed and made holy.

And if you read what was given at Sinai, you see "The seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God."
8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

The Bible never calls it "the Sabbath of the Jews." It isnt their Sabbath, but God's. Another thing you find is that the Sabbath commandment is for the "stranger" too. The fourth commandment itself says the "stranger" is to rest on the Sabbath. Exodus 20:10.'Strangers' are non-Jews, or Gentiles. Thus the Sabbath applies to them too, and the Creator who made heaven and earth also made the Sabbath....

Mark 2:27
And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

Was the Sabbath kept prior to the Commandments at Sinai?​

Yes. Exodus 16, shares as one example.

In God's commandments later He says to remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy.

This indicates the sabbath pre-existed the Commands given on Siani.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Before the Law of Moses was given, WHERE did He say it has to be only on Saturday?

Gen 2:2-3
2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. 3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Exo 16:14-30
14 And when the dew that lay was gone up, behold, upon the face of the wilderness there lay a small round thing, as small as the hoar frost on the ground. 15 And when the children of Israel saw it, they said one to another, It is manna: for they wist not what it was. And Moses said unto them, This is the bread which the LORD hath given you to eat. 16 This is the thing which the LORD hath commanded, Gather of it every man according to his eating, an omer for every man, according to the number of your persons; take ye every man for them which are in his tents. 17 And the children of Israel did so, and gathered, some more, some less. 18 And when they did mete it with an omer, he that gathered much had nothing over, and he that gathered little had no lack; they gathered every man according to his eating. 19 And Moses said, Let no man leave of it till the morning. 20 Notwithstanding they hearkened not unto Moses; but some of them left of it until the morning, and it bred worms, and stank: and Moses was wroth with them. 21 And they gathered it every morning, every man according to his eating: and when the sun waxed hot, it melted. 22 And it came to pass, that on the sixth day they gathered twice as much bread, two omers for one man: and all the rulers of the congregation came and told Moses. 23 And he said unto them, This is that which the LORD hath said, To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the LORD: bake that which ye will bake to day, and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning. 24 And they laid it up till the morning, as Moses bade: and it did not stink, neither was there any worm therein. 25 And Moses said, Eat that to day; for to day is a sabbath unto the LORD: to day ye shall not find it in the field. 26 Six days ye shall gather it; but on the seventh day, which is the sabbath, in it there shall be none. 27 And it came to pass, that there went out some of the people on the seventh day for to gather, and they found none. 28 And the LORD said unto Moses, How long refuse ye to keep my commandments and my laws? 29 See, for that the LORD hath given you the sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day. 30 So the people rested on the seventh day.

:hearteyes:

Reactions: mr mxyzptlk

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Lord can never turn away from the Truth of His Word... if someone turns away from the Lord, He still loves them but they become separated from Him and are lost as they have decided to no longer abide in Christ.

They must confess and forsake their sin to get back in eight standing with the Lord because God is not mocked, what we sow is what we reap... to say otherwise is to mick God according to Gal 6:7,8... and yet some do exactly that and opposed God's Word! View attachment 40000
It's always 'they' or 'some' isn't it? .....never oneself!

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's always 'they' or 'some' isn't it? .....never oneself!

Well, I was not alive back then so I wasn't involved ya know.

Anywho I'm glad to be living in the New Covenant where everyday is holy unto the Lord and we abide IN Christ to be at rest at all times. Much better deal indeed!. thumbsup2.gif

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Looking at Creation with Adam and Eve there, when God created the Sabbath we can see that they knew very well about the Sabbath before the Commandments were written on the stone tablets at Sinai.

Genesis 2:2-3
2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.
There is no denying that God was here setting aside the Sabbath as holy time and its clear that Adam and Eve were not Jewish. "God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it" before sin entered. "Sanctified" means "to be set apart for holy use." The only ones in the Garden of Eden for whom the Sabbath was 'set apart' were Adam and Eve, who werent Jewish.

Is it logical to believe that God first created man, then the Sabbath, and then failed to mention to man that the seventh day was holy time in the weekly cycle, of course not. God must have immediately explained to Adam all about His sacred seventh day and how to observe His day as He wanted it to be observed. Everyone would have known of it from them, and would have kept the Sabbath if they followed God, in the time before Sinai. The Hebrew word translated "sanctified" in Genesis 2:3 and "hallowed" in Exodus 20:11 is qadash, a word meaning "to hallow, to pronounce holy, to consecrate, to set apart for holy use."

Abel and even Cain knew about what God had set up at Creation from their parents and giving sacrifices unto God, and notice what it says in Genesis 4..
Genesis 4:3
And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the Lord.

At that point, the only length of time was the week, as it wasnt counted then in months and years. The words "in process of time" are translated from the Hebrew mikkets yamim, meaning "at the end of the days." This can only be telling us that on the Sabbath, Cain and Abel, with the rest of Adam's family, gathered to worship God. So its basically when the week 'came to pass', or the weekly end, the seventh day that God had blessed and sanctified, or made holy. It is just not reasonable to think that God would make the Sabbath for man and then keep it from him for over 2000 years until Moses at Sinai. The very fact that the seven-day week existed as the weekly cycle, even till today, is good evidence the Sabbath also existed from Creation.

If you look, a week of seven days is frequently mentioned in Bible, so the patriarchs knew of the weekly cycle of the Creator who made the Sabbath. In Genesis we see that Noah was clearly acquainted with a seven-day week.
Genesis 7:4
For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth.
Genesis 8:10
And he stayed yet other seven days; and again he sent forth the dove out of the ark;
Genesis 8:12
And he stayed yet other seven days; and sent forth the dove; which returned not again unto him any more.

Unless the Sabbath was their pivot of time, people then could not have used such a measure of days. If fact the margin rendering of Genesis 7:10 is "on the seventh day," a reference to nothing but the Sabbath. You can be sure that Noah, a just man who walked with God knew about the weekly cycle, and kept God's seventh-day that He blessed and made holy.

And if you read what was given at Sinai, you see "The seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God."
8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

The Bible never calls it "the Sabbath of the Jews." It isnt their Sabbath, but God's. Another thing you find is that the Sabbath commandment is for the "stranger" too. The fourth commandment itself says the "stranger" is to rest on the Sabbath. Exodus 20:10.'Strangers' are non-Jews, or Gentiles. Thus the Sabbath applies to them too, and the Creator who made heaven and earth also made the Sabbath....

Mark 2:27
And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:
Other than God sanctifying the seventh day, there is absolutely no biblical record of God commanding nor of anyone setting aside teh seventh day as Sabbath.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Other than God sanctifying the seventh day, there is absolutely no biblical record of God commanding nor of anyone setting aside teh seventh day as Sabbath.
Exodus 20:8-11

“Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
further.... Exodus 20:11
'Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

Did God at some point revoke his blessing and that of making it holy?

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exodus 20:8-11

“Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.
I was speaking of prior to the giving of the Mosaic Law.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did God at some point revoke his blessing and that of making it holy?

He brought forth a much higher standard... one that is even more Holy... Jesus Christ!

In the New Covenant we're supposed to be abiding IN Christ all the time... not just have one day a week that is holy.

Now, there is a new house, the Body of Jesus Christ! Under the New Covenant that the Lord said would come forth, we see Jesus Christ as the High Priest. The old covenant with it’s laws and regulations have been taken away because thru Jesus Christ a new and better covenant has come in to place.

Hebrews 10:9
Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

And with the changing of the priesthood, God’s Word tells us there is also a change of the law.

Hebrews 7:12
For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

Some adherents to keeping Saturday sabbath frequently ask “where did the Lord take Saturday sabbatrh way?”
The answer can be found in Hebrews 10:9 and in Hebrews 7:12.

God’s people are no longer living under the Law of Moses. Now God’s people are living under the Law of Christ (also called the law of liberty, law of the spirit of life in Christ Jesus – see Galatians 6:2, 1 Corinthians 9:21, James 2:12, James 1:25, Romans 8:2)

The Law of Christ contains NO command or requirement to keep Saturday sabbath because God has something far better for His people under the New Covenant. Saturday sabbath (and the entire Law of Moses) has been made obsolete by the New Covenant and is of no benefit to those trying to continue in any part of the Law of Moses! (Those claiming Saturday sabbath is still required cannot prove this from the New Testament of the Bible because it’s simply not there and does not teach this) .

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God’s people are no longer living under the Law of Moses. Now God’s people are living under the Law of Christ
You call the Ten Commandments the law of Moses implying Moses gave the Law. Perhaps you have forgotten who actually gave the Ten Commandments? Wasn't it Jesus pre his incarnation? So all your jumping around saying the Law of Christ is different to the Law Jesus gave on Sinai is a moot point.

What the truth of the matter is BBJ, is that you are opposed to the Sabbath as stated in the Ten Commandments and are using 'the Law of Christ' argument to negate it, even justify breaking it. That's where the rubber hits the road in this matter!

Reactions: BlessedPeace