We are partakers of the divine nature

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
2 Peter 1:

2 May grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord. 3His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, 4by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature [G5449], having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire.
Peter contrasted between divine nature and sinful desire.

Strong's Greek: 5449. φύσις (phusis) — 14 Occurrences

HELPS Word-studies:

5449 phýsis – properly, inner nature, the underlying constitution or make-up of someone (something).
Thayer's Greek Lexicon:

1. the nature of things, the force, laws, order, of nature; as opposed to what is monstrous, abnormal, perverse
  2. birth, physical origin
  3. a mode of feeling and acting which by long habit has become nature
  4. the sum of innate properties and powers by which one person differs from others
Jesus has a divine nature and we are imitators of him and partakers of his divine nature.

Reactions: marks and Arthur81

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
2 Peter 1:

HELPS Word-studies:

Thayer's Greek Lexicon:

1. the nature of things, the force, laws, order, of nature; as opposed to what is monstrous, abnormal, perverse
  4. the sum of innate properties and powers by which one person differs from others
Jesus has a divine nature and we are imitators of him and partakers of his divine nature.
How do we define the divine nature? Is not its crowning jewel that of forgiving ones enemies? Isn't it that of uplifting the downtrodden? Is it not holding no record of wrongs?
What good is being right if it births violence and force?

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
In the context of 2 Peter 1, he contrasted between divine nature and sinful desire.
Excellent observation. Contrast is intrinsic to God's Word as given to us.

First and foremost is the contrast between God's Holy and Righteous Nature, and the unholy and sinful nature of all that opposes Him and is corrupt as a result.

The same contrast between the Divine Nature and sinful desires is present further on in this epistle of Peter, which like many NT passages, warns against apostasy.

2Pe 3:13-17 But, according to his promise, we look for new heavens and a new earth, in which righteousness dwells. (14) Therefore, beloved, seeing that you look for these things, be diligent to be found in peace, without defect and blameless in his sight. (15) Regard the patience of our Lord as salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also, according to the wisdom given to him, wrote to you; (16) as also in all of his letters, speaking in them of these things. In those, there are some things that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unsettled twist, as they also do to the other Scriptures, to their own destruction. (17) You therefore, beloved, knowing these things beforehand, beware, lest being carried away with the error of the wicked, you fall from your own steadfastness.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No......however, often it does....and in so doing reveals the spirit of the enemy
Personally, I'd attribute violent behavior to deficiencies in character or self-control, maybe anger issues, more like that.

Much love!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Personally, I'd attribute violent behavior to deficiencies in character or self-control, maybe anger issues, more like that.

Much love!
violence is the force of one's will onto another party

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
violence is the force of one's will onto another party
That sounds less like the meaning of violence, and more like the meaning of oppression, at least as I've learned those words.

Johnny Law has a way of doing that, forcing his will on others. Evil men do that also.

Much love!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That sounds less like the meaning of violence, and more like the meaning of oppression, at least as I've learned those words.

Johnny Law has a way of doing that, forcing his will on others. Evil men do that also.

Much love!
Could one say oppression is the verb of violence?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
Hmm, never heard violence described in this way before. Do you think that sometimes, being awkward around folks you don't know well, a deficiency in character? I have always looked at my awkwardness as a deficiency in my character. I can speak too soon at times...lack of self-control-YES...lol. I do battle frustration that many times turns into anger, at myself for being so inept at things that once were done with my eyes closed! These things I see as lacking in the fruit of The Spirit, but never once even, did I ever think "violence".

I HATE violence. :eek::oops:
Now I must be left wondering why you look at these flaws as "violence"?
Hugs bro.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Could one say oppression is the verb of violence?
Both are nouns. You commit violence, you oppress. You are violent. You are oppressive. You can oppress through violence.

But still they are different words.

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmm, never heard violence described in this way before. Do you think that sometimes, being awkward around folks you don't know well, a deficiency in character? I have always looked at my awkwardness as a deficiency in my character. I can speak too soon at times...lack of self-control-YES...lol. I do battle frustration that many times turns into anger, at myself for being so inept at things that once were done with my eyes closed! These things I see as lacking in the fruit of The Spirit, but never once even, did I ever think "violence".

I HATE violence. :eek::oops:
Now I must be left wondering why you look at these flaws as "violence"?
Hugs bro.
What I mean is that I think violence arises from specific character deficiencies, such as feeling entitled, arrogant, things like that. Temper flare-ups are common to us all. The one who lacks self-control lashes out. I didn't mean this to be speaking about other things.

Much love!

• Love

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Both are nouns. You commit violence, you oppress. You are violent. You are oppressive. You can oppress through violence.

But still they are different words.

Much love!
Much of Christendom attributes violence to God as a 'normal' activity. Isn't that strange?
Do we say that the ministry of Jesus is/ was oppressive?

Those who favour a violent God cite the Flood, Sodom and Gomorrah amongst other examples they try to dig up.
I suggest there is another way of seeing these events and explaining the scriptural narrative......but who wants to give up their idea that one day God will kick arse for them?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Much of Christendom attributes violence to God as a 'normal' activity. Isn't that strange?
Do we say that the ministry of Jesus is/ was oppressive?

Those who favour a violent God cite the Flood, Sodom and Gomorrah amongst other examples they try to dig up.
I suggest there is another way of seeing these events and explaining the scriptural narrative......but who wants to give up their idea that one day God will kick arse for them?
It did sound as though you were pursuing an agenda, quibbling over simple word definitions.

The Bible says what it says, if you think there's too much violence, you'll need to take that up with God. Violence isn't always wrong, you know.

Much love!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It did sound as though you were pursuing an agenda, quibbling over simple word definitions.

The Bible says what it says, if you think there's too much violence, you'll need to take that up with God. Violence isn't always wrong, you know.

Much love!
What I find interesting Mark is that exploration of meaning is now labelled 'quibbling over words' and as we define the word 'violence' to be oppression, it is all of a sudden spoken of as 'Violence isn't always wrong'
It appears holding contradictory views is not a problem when they support favourite theories.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Peter 1:

HELPS Word-studies:

Thayer's Greek Lexicon:

(2Pe 1:1) From Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ. To everyone who shares with us in the privilege of believing that our God and Savior Jesus Christ will do what is just and fair.
(2Pe 1:2) I pray that God will be kind to you and will let you live in perfect peace! May you keep learning more and more about God and our Lord Jesus.
(2Pe 1:3) We have everything we need to live a life that pleases God. It was all given to us by God's own power, when we learned that he had invited us to share in his wonderful goodness.
(2Pe 1:4) God made great and marvelous promises, so that his nature would become part of us. Then we could escape our evil desires and the corrupt influences of this world.
(2Pe 1:5) Do your best to improve your faith. You can do this by adding goodness, understanding,
(2Pe 1:6) self-control, patience, devotion to God,
(2Pe 1:7) concern for others, and love.
(2Pe 1:8) If you keep growing in this way, it will show that what you know about our Lord Jesus Christ has made your lives useful and meaningful.
(2Pe 1:9) But if you don't grow, you are like someone who is nearsighted or blind, and you have forgotten that your past sins are forgiven.
(2Pe 1:10) My friends, you must do all you can to show that God has really chosen and selected you. If you keep on doing this, you won't stumble and fall.
(2Pe 1:11) Then our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will give you a glorious welcome into his kingdom that will last forever.
(2Pe 1:12) You are holding firmly to the truth that you were given. But I am still going to remind you of these things.
(2Pe 1:13) In fact, I think I should keep on reminding you until I leave this body.
(2Pe 1:14) And our Lord Jesus Christ has already told me that I will soon leave it behind.
(2Pe 1:15) That is why I am doing my best to make sure that each of you remembers all of this after I am gone. (CEV)

(2Pe 1:4) whereby he hath granted unto us his precious and exceeding great promises; that through these ye may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world by lust. (RV)

2 Peter 1:4 says that the Father God is the source of divinity, by strong implication, which is his only nature and given/shared with his Son, since he was born and continues today by the Spirit or power of his Father God.

We also, by the power of God also share in this same divine nature through his Spirit although our flesh is weak, sinful and rebellious to God and his Son. We struggle as Jesus never did in becoming and developing a pronounced divine nature.

Yes, we do imitate Jesus as our example and lord, with our acquired divine nature of God, given by his Spirit, as his Son already perfected this natural divine nature of his Father since acquiring immortality.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I find interesting Mark is that exploration of meaning is now labelled 'quibbling over words' and as we define the word 'violence' to be oppression, it is all of a sudden spoken of as 'Violence isn't always wrong'
It appears holding contradictory views is not a problem when they support favourite theories.
Violence describes the execution of a killer, for instance. Babylon cast down. Quibbling over words is how I describe taking two different words and going on and on trying to make them the same because you want us all to land on your idea, or so it seems to me. I could be wrong.

I'm not the one here defining violence as oppression, they are different.

What exactly are your contradictory views here? LOL!

Much love!

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What I mean is that I think violence arises from specific character deficiencies, such as feeling entitled, arrogant, things like that. Temper flare-ups are common to us all. The one who lacks self-control lashes out. I didn't mean this to be speaking about other things.

Much love!

So, character deficiencies are not the impact of the influence of Satan and his demonic wicked fallen heavenly hosts. They are just our personal deficiencies.

Was King David's sins that Nathan the prophet came to address with King David, a weakness of his character or was he influenced by the "Traveller," i.e., Satan, who had visited him. In the story of King David, he was influenced another two times by Satan.

We are told that King David had a heart after God's heart, but he often worshipped God with unresolved sin in his heart. Sin that he did not remember to repent of.

I wonder how many of us this have unresolved sin in our lives, but we still worship God and wonder why He does not hear us, or answer our prayers?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wonder how many of us this have unresolved sin in our lives, but we still worship God and wonder why He does not hear us, or answer our prayers?
We need to take this very seriously concerning ourselves.

Much love!