Does it matter which version of the Bible you read?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It does change doctrine!

Wether or not the word of God is perfect and reliable!!

I believe @Aunty Jane recently made a profound post on point; that only the original language text is perfect and reliable. All others rely on translation, subject to human fallibility.

Then you should use whatever version helps you the most.
Agreed.
As for me, I was raised on RSV
Last year I finished reading the 2017 Cultural Bible NRSV. Not sure how it compares to the RSV but I suspect it is more the same than different. A rather literal translation, yes?

The problem with a purely literal translation is the grammar rules of different languages are not the same. So, every translation makes a compromise between literal and readability. I prefer those translations that translates the thought of the sentence, verse or collection of verses rather than just one word at a time.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most errors?

So every Bible has errors in it.

You have no word of God then.

Your just doing religion to feel good about yourself.
Why do you have so much fight in you about the King James Version of the Bible? Can you just openly explain or express that to me? I get it’s a wonderful Bible, don’t get me wrong I like how it reads. However perhaps maybe that Queen James Bible would be highly offensive to anyone in Christian Culture wouldn’t it?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have no clue about God without his word.

Unless you’re going to claim that God talks to you…
Doesn’t he speak to us every day when we wake up? God calls and speaks to all, every day. He gives us life. The breath of life.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do you have so much fight in you about the King James Version of the Bible? Can you just openly explain or express that to me?

“…his word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay.” (Jeremiah 20:9, KJV)

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“…his word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay.” (Jeremiah 20:9, KJV)
That’s not a response, that’s a Bible quote.

Why do you wanna play games? Maybe you just don’t care enough to explain… it’s starting to become annoying though.

Reactions: mailmandan

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was speaking with @MatthewG regarding John 7:8.

It seems you weren’t following the discussion quite fully.
No. No, I wasn't following the discussion fully. Sorry.

Just got back from a funeral. Arrived home from airport Saturday at 2:45 AM. Still need to catch up on sleep.

But thanks for directly answering my question. There is a difference between lying and changing one's mind. I think prayer is pointless if God could not be prevailed upon to change his mind. He planned to wipe out the Hebrews but Moses talked him out of it. Jesus did not plan to perform a miracle at the wedding but I believe his mother prevailed upon him.

Last Tuesday I watched The Chosen reanactment of that scene. The actress portraying Mary beautifully conveyed the epic humiliation of her dear friends if it became known they ran out of wine at a wedding. In our day, getting more wine is fairly easy. Not back then. It would be a mortifying event that could even had annulled the wedding itself with life ruining - if not life ending - financial consequences.

"It's not my time" transformed from a commitment of inaction to a divine statement of compassion. Not a lie. Praise God.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doesn’t he speak to us every day when we wake up?

The Spirit leads me to the KJB.

God doesn’t speak to us as he did to Moses:

“And he said, Hear now my words: If there be a prophet among you, I the LORD will make myself known unto him in a vision, and will speak unto him in a dream. My servant Moses is not so, who is faithful in all mine house. With him will I speak mouth to mouth, even apparently, and not in dark speeches; and the similitude of the LORD shall he behold: wherefore then were ye not afraid to speak against my servant Moses?” (Numbers 12:6-8, KJV)

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Spirit leads me to the KJB.

God doesn’t speak to us as he did to Moses:

“And he said, Hear now my words: If there be a prophet among you, I the LORD will make myself known unto him in a vision, and will speak unto him in a dream. My servant Moses is not so, who is faithful in all mine house. With him will I speak mouth to mouth, even apparently, and not in dark speeches; and the similitude of the LORD shall he behold: wherefore then were ye not afraid to speak against my servant Moses?” (Numbers 12:6-8, KJV)
God speaks to all people day, calling by the spirit , and the bride. But you say what you need to…
Yes, a scripture citation that describes my faithfulness and vehement desire to defending the truth.
Gotta quote the scripture to get rid of the devil. I got it.

That’s all you gotta say.