We can stop calling Abraham a liar anytime now!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
While Abaraham withheld the fact that Sarah was his wife so that Pharoah would not stumble and have innocent blood on his hands, he did NOT LIE . For Abraham knew the evil in mens hearts to kill and sin against God for covetousness sake, rather the killer believes in God or not does not matter, it is still against God. Thou shalt not kill!
And what good would it do if they killed Abraham for Sarah, then Sarah would no longer have Abraham. God does not reward lies no matter who it is, but when one has to use discretion and hold back some truth to protect the innocent and to keep man from commiting murder, then God looks at that as an honorable thing. God blessed Abraham for his work of righteousness in this matter and made Pharoah give MUCH wealth to Abraham for his passing up tempation to not only want to harm Pharoah over Sarah, but putting another above his self, even his enemy.
Abraham and Sarah did not lie when they claimed to be brother and sister, for just as we are brother and sister in Christ being born of one Father but of different natural mothers in the flesh, so were they.
Our spiritual mother is the City heavenly Jerusalem.
Gen 20:5 Said he not unto me, She is my sister? and she, even she herself said, He is my brother: in the integrity of my heart and innocency of my hands have I done this.
KJV
Gen 20:12
12 And yet indeed she is my sister; she is the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife.
KJV
Blessings

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
So calling Abraham a liar is a big problem?
I suppose we should simply add it to the stack of modern day theology

soupy

May 20, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So are you saying Abraham was helping God...

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
Rex said:
So calling Abraham a liar is a big problem?
I suppose we should simply add it to the stack of modern day theology
It is falsely accusing someone, so yes, it is a problem when I hear ministers teach that God overlooked Abrahams LIE.
When it in fact was not a lie.

soupy said:
So are you saying Abraham was helping God...
I am saying just as we are not to put a stumbling stone in front of another man to sin against God which is called TEMPTING and the work of the devil, Abraham tried to keep innocent blood from the hands of his neighbor. Murder is far greater than to have sex with another man's wife wouldn't you say? Especially in this day and age it is thought of as the norm for fornacation and adultery to be OK just look around, the world is full of them and call the good bad and the bad good.

That is not my thinking nor God's to condone fornication and adultery, but it is the thinking of the evil world who gang up on those who teach that divorce, fornication and adultry are SIN.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
Abraham said of Sarah his wife, “She is my sister.” Abraham’s concern was probably not because Sarah looked like a young beauty at 90 years of age. We can surmise that she was reasonably attractive at that age, but more importantly she was connected to one of the richest and most influential men of the region. In that day, a harem was more of a political statement than a romantic statement.

We should not ignore the idea of Sarah’s attractiveness even in old age. “She had in some measure been physically rejuvenated, in order to conceive, bear, and nurse Isaac, and possibly this manifested itself in renewed beauty as well.” (Morris)

She is my sister: This is the same lie Abraham told back in Genesis 12:10-13. He shows that it is all too easy to slip back into sinful habits. Abraham stumbles in a place he stumbled before. Instead of trusting God to keep his family together, he devised his own plan to do it. His plan will fail completely.

Age does not automatically sanctify us. Unless yielded to the Spirit of God, we will repeat in our old age the sinful patterns of our youth.

I think you need to unredefine what the word LIE means.

forrestcupp

Feb 10, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First of all, there were no "brothers and sisters in Christ" back then. The reason he didn't lie is because she was in fact his half sister. It's true that he didn't lie. But he was being deceptive, and that is wrong. He should have trusted that if God was leading him, He would also see him through to the other side.

If you're going to pardon Abraham's wrongdoing, you may as well pardon Moses for disobeying God, and David for killing Uriah and committing adultery with Bathsheba. Yet David was a man after God's own heart. The point isn't that the men of God in the Bible never did any wrong, but that God, who is rich in grace and mercy, can even work through men's wrongs.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
forrestcupp said:
First of all, there were no "brothers and sisters in Christ" back then. The reason he didn't lie is because she was in fact his half sister. It's true that he didn't lie. But he was being deceptive, and that is wrong. He should have trusted that if God was leading him, He would also see him through to the other side.

If you're going to pardon Abraham's wrongdoing, you may as well pardon Moses for disobeying God, and David for killing Uriah and committing adultery with Bathsheba. Yet David was a man after God's own heart. The point isn't that the men of God in the Bible never did any wrong, but that God, who is rich in grace and mercy, can even work through men's wrongs.
You beat me to it. She was his half-sister, but he did lie and deceive. He purposely did not want it known that Sarah was his wife, hence the deception. Like Foreigner said, "Do you have a problem with Abraham lying"? All have sinned and fallen short, my friend.

Only God pardons and it is based on the "Faith of Abraham".

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
afaithfulone4u said:
It is falsely accusing someone, so yes, it is a problem when I hear ministers teach that God overlooked Abrahams LIE.
When it in fact was not a lie.
Well If your looking for reasons to call him a liar or not you can count me out.
I never realized it was such a problem.

Now tell me what difference does it make, in the big plans of God, how did or didn't it effect Gods sovereignty, or God choice in Abraham.
I would simply like to know what the point is.

soupy

May 20, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rex said:
Well If your looking for reasons to call him a liar or not you can count me out.
I never realized it was such a problem.

Now tell me what difference does it make, in the big plans of God, how did or didn't it effect Gods sovereignty, or God choice in Abraham.
I would simply like to know what the point is.
oh, you beat me to it, I view Abraham as a human who sinned, no surprise there.

If a pastor teaches God "overlooked" a lie, talk to the pastor.