"We live in a time where evil is called good and good evil"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dagda

Dec 10, 2008
The thread heading is a phrase I've seen used by several times on this forum, by Christina and (I think) one or two others. I felt an examination of it would warrant a thread of its own.I don't disagree with the comment per se- I just think that it applies equally well to every time that's preceded this one. The only difference now is that those who call good what others call evil are much more aware of each other- and with that awareness, plus the idea that those born elsewhere are equals rather than subhuman barbarians (a word stemming from the ancient greek's belief that all foreigners were simply babbling "bar-bar-bar" rather than actually communicating), many traditional concepts of how to discern right from wrong are exposed as hollow constructions of man.It's a difficult notion- that on this world is someone who's just as smart as me, just as wise as me, just as morally upright, and that person believes something completely different about the nature of the world because he and I were taught different things as a child. If he believes in Allah and I believe in God, what reason can I offer for being right that he cannot also provide? How can my faith have meaning, rather than just being a stubborn insistence that I happened to be born to parents who knew the One True explanation?My personal answer has been to seek a philosophy that will lead to the same conclusion regardless of my origins. I have always been a Christian who believes in God, but so long as I remain ignorant of the faiths and beliefs of others, I have no real way to say whether the foundations of my own faith are built on sinking sand.I know there are many Christians who fear that people are losing their conviction to do what is right. My concern, however, is that many- Christians included- are equating a will to do the right thing with a certainty that they have fully determined what the right thing is.Any thoughts and responses you have to offer are appreciated.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
PLEASE LET ME MAKE THIS CLEAR THIS IS A CHRISTIAN BIBLE STUDY SITE PERIOD we do not study philosophy or religion ...or their denominations all are of men ..Gods Word has no religion other than Jesus Christ we do care what a person is or believes but this site is not where we study yours or anyone else's religion, ideas or philosophy There is one Way to salvation that is Jesus Christ period anything else is for another site God says he comes in the Book His Word the Bibleone world-ism (all religions are fine) philosophy, New Age ideas is what Antichrist will teach and it is NOT welcome here not taught here not discussed hereDenver will not tolerate this you can call it whatever you like but it is ONE WORLD RELIGION .... POLITICALLY CORRECTNESS of All is Acceptable ...The M.O. of Satanthis is what we call Evil .. taught as good ...as acceptable as the kind or politically correct thing ...the Book says differnt. And thats what we study we are not concerned with the rest....

AusDisciple

Dec 19, 2008
I must say as a Christian who serves one God, our Father in Heaven and follows the teachings of Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour, lead by the Holy Spirit through God's written word in the Holy Bible, I completely agree with you here Christina.It is possible (and required of us) to love everyone, no matter what their beliefs and religion but, that does not mean we should embrace (or even accept) teachings opposed to the word of God. We are instructed specifically to:19 Quench not the Spirit. 20 Despise not prophesyings. 21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. 22 Abstain from all appearance of evil. 23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.(1 Thessalonians 5:19-23)

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(AusDisciple;68273)
I must say as a Christian who serves one God, our Father in Heaven and follows the teachings of Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour, lead by the Holy Spirit through God's written word in the Holy Bible, I completely agree with you here Christina.It is possible (and required of us) to love everyone, no matter what their beliefs and religion but, that does not mean we should embrace (or even accept) teachings opposed to the word of God. We are instructed specifically to: 21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. 22 Abstain from all appearance of evil. 23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.(1 Thessalonians 5:21-23)
Why not add...I Thessalonians 5:19 - Quench not the Spirit.I Thessalonians 5:20 - Despise not prophesyings.

AusDisciple

Dec 19, 2008
Good point Jordan. Post edited
smile.gif

Dagda

Dec 10, 2008
(Christina;68264)
PLEASE LET ME MAKE THIS CLEAR THIS IS A CHRISTIAN BIBLE STUDY SITE PERIOD we do not study philosophy or religion ...or their denominations all are of men ..
I'm not hoping to study philosophy or religion. I'm hoping this community can help me learn more of God's word, on the subjects of philosophy and religion, as my own knowledge of the bible is still intermediate at best.(Christina;68264)
one world-ism (all religions are fine) philosophy, New Age ideas is what Antichrist will teach and it is NOT welcome here not taught here not discussed here
I'm going to say this as clearly as I can.I am not saying that all religions are right.I do not think that all religions are right.I believe Jesus Christ is the one true path to salvation.HOWEVER: I cannot, without casting aside humility, honestly claim that my judgement in this matter is any better than the judgement of (some of) those who have instead concluded that allah is the light, or those who have concluded that God is nothing more than a cultural illusion. Because of this, I seek greater levels of understanding, both of the world and of God's word (for the two are not separate subjects), so that I might strengthen my faith.The above is all background, regarding why I've come here and (in the long view) why I'm trying to explain my thinking on these matters. Because it's a view, a philosophy, that I've come to recognize as too detached from the word of God-regardless of how much it's drifted off-course as a result. So, I come to you in search of guidance and aid. (Which Jordan and Ausdisciple have already begun to offer. Thanks, guys, moving on to read your posts now.)

Dagda

Dec 10, 2008
All right, having read that, it's the start of verse 21 that has my attention. What does it mean when we are called to "Prove all things"?

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
All things must be weighed against the scripture the Book the Word was made flesh (Christ) first was the Word

Dagda

Dec 10, 2008
(Christina;68286)
All things must be weighed against the scripture the Book the Word was made flesh (Christ) first was the Word
Yes. So please help me do this.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Glad to its what we do here but you must want to see it. Ill will gladly answer any question .. but first you need a few basics Gods words is based first of all on the Ten comandments this is our Law of life Christ came not to change the Law and dont let anyone tell you differnt these are the foundation of a Christian way of life because living these things will make us happy and our father loves us.. whats the best for us so he gave us the Law believing that Jesus Christ is our savior and these are the Laws God gave to us is what being a Christain is ..in a nutshell. The stone tablets of Commandments were in the Ark of the Covenant, written by the finger of God. They are the only verses that we are commanded to post in our homes (Deuteronomy 6:9). Therefore, Exodus 20 is the most important passage of Scripture. Ten Commandments1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image.3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.4. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.5. Honour thy father and thy mother.6. Thou shalt not kill.(comit murder)7. Thou shalt not commit adultery.8. Thou shalt not steal.9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.10. Thou shalt not covet.This copy Found in Exodus 20:1-17 in the Bible

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Christina;68289)
Glad to its what I was called to do but you must want to see it. Gods words is based first of all on the Ten comandments this is our Law of life Christ came not to change the Law and dont let anyone tell you differnt these are the foundation of a Christian way of life because living these things will make us happy and our father loves us.. whats the best for us so he gave us the Law The stone tablets of Commandments were in the Ark of the Covenant, written by the finger of God. They are the only verses that we are commanded to post in our homes (Deuteronomy 6:9). Therefore, Exodus 20 is the most important passage of Scripture. Ten Commandments1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image.3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.4. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.5. Honour thy father and thy mother.6. Thou shalt not kill.(comit murder)7. Thou shalt not commit adultery.8. Thou shalt not steal.9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.10. Thou shalt not covet.This copy Found in Exodus 20:1-17 in the Bible
Christina, The Ten Commandments is not only found in Exodus 20, but also...Deuteronomy 5:7 - Thou shalt have none other gods before me.Deuteronomy 5:8 - Thou shalt not make thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the waters beneath the earth:Deuteronomy 5:9 - Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me,Deuteronomy 5:10 - And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me and keep my commandments.Deuteronomy 5:11 - Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain: for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.Deuteronomy 5:12 - Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee.Deuteronomy 5:13 - Six days thou shalt labour, and do all thy work:Deuteronomy 5:14 - But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou.Deuteronomy 5:15 - And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the LORD thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the LORD thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day.Deuteronomy 5:16 - Honour thy father and thy mother, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee; that thy days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with thee, in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.Deuteronomy 5:17 - Thou shalt not kill.Deuteronomy 5:18 - Neither shalt thou commit adultery.Deuteronomy 5:19 - Neither shalt thou steal.Deuteronomy 5:20 - Neither shalt thou bear false witness against thy neighbour.Deuteronomy 5:21 - Neither shalt thou desire thy neighbour's wife, neither shalt thou covet thy neighbour's house, his field, or his manservant, or his maidservant, his ox, or his ass, or any thing that is thy neighbour's.It's funny to think that YHVH, repeated it TWICE for EMPHASIS.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Yes I know Jordan:) and You are right twice for Emphasis another thing about scripture when God repeats a thing its for our sake that we know we have a second wittness a theme carried out throughout scripture Deuteronomy 4:2Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you. Deuteronomy 4:13And he declared unto you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, even ten commandments; and he wrote them upon two tables of stone. Deuteronomy 4:40Thou shalt keep therefore his statutes, and his commandments, which I command thee this day, that it may go well with thee, and with thy children after thee, and that thou mayest prolong thy days upon the earth, which the LORD thy God giveth thee, for ever. Deuteronomy 5:10And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me and keep my commandments. Deuteronomy 5:29O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever!

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Christina;68291)
Yes I know Jordan:) and You are right twice for Emphasis another thing about scripture when God repeats a thing its for our sake that we know we have a second wittness a theme carried out throughout scripture Deuteronomy 4:2Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you. Deuteronomy 4:13And he declared unto you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, even ten commandments; and he wrote them upon two tables of stone. Deuteronomy 4:40Thou shalt keep therefore his statutes, and his commandments, which I command thee this day, that it may go well with thee, and with thy children after thee, and that thou mayest prolong thy days upon the earth, which the LORD thy God giveth thee, for ever. Deuteronomy 5:10And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me and keep my commandments. Deuteronomy 5:29O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever!
Yea, I agree with you 100%. Considering the fact tat the bible is a LIVING book. The bible (only witness) is many, I mean MANY witnesses in itself.
smile.gif

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Now on the surface following these Laws seems so simple that anyone could do it but it becomes very complicated and in depth for example Thou shall not kill ...simple most of us think thats an easy commandment to keep but is it?What if you are in the armed forces What if someone is threatening you or your family what if you accidentally kill someone what about the death Penalty The more you look into the Law the more real life happens you will find that the Law is not always black and white in fact you will find that no one can live by the Law its to perfect and we are imperfect. Thus the very reason we needed grace ...Christ to die for our sins. Or no one would have ever been saved... So by his grace we are given repentance by faith through Jesus Christ paid for by his death on the cross...The bible tells us this story from beginning to End gives us examples, teaches us, the finer details, tells us how it happened,why it happened, what will happen and how we should live from day to day.. from age to age ...There is a correct and incorrect way to learn and study it ...The correct way is to learn from it alone and apply it to the World That has been lost for the most part through religions ...religions take a certain idea or group of ideas and make a religion around it ...then try to fit the rest of the scriptures to their religion when they cant make it fit they 'Ignore it or change it ... Thus you have a hundreds of religions ... Yet none are necessarily based on the truth of the Entire Book God says "LO I come in the volume of the Book" ....not part of it not most of it All of it .... Not in men's Words ..not in our Church's and traditions. not in mans philosophy ...not in men's Ideas ....these things have their place. But we find Gods truth in his Book in the volume of the Book