We must remember the poor, the orphans and widows

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
Yes, we must remember the poor in spirit and feed them the Bread of life and give them the living water and clothe them in Christ so that they are no longer naked, hungry and thirsty and die.
We must remember the widows who's husband is Dead rather it be spiritually or physically. If she is a believing widow who has an unbelieving husband she is a spiritual widow as she has no godly head of the family to guide her so she needs more spiritual guidance from the Lord.

If she is a believing widow with a husband who has passed on and has not remarried a Believing husband only and renmains faithful to Christ(not living a life of sin), the church needs to provide physical needs as the Lord leads us to do for she has no husband to support her.

But if she is an unbelieving widow, she is not only an orphan who has no godly Father but again we need to lead this widow to have a husband in Christ as the head of her household so that she not only has a covering, but also a Father to help raise her up.

All unbeliever's rather girls, boys, men or women that do not know the Lord are Orphans as they have no Father to guide and cover them. They have been abandened and we need to give them the gospel so that they can have the chance to find their way home and as a prodical son return to the Father's house where things are good.

Paul said to remember the poor was the very thing he intended to do. He did not hand out physical needs he brought the poor souls to Christ and taught them how to be renewed from death to life. That is why he was called the tent maker because his God inspired teachings teach us how to tear down our old corrupted tent of this fallen flesh and raise us up into tent's/body/tabernacles filled with the Word and Spirit of God to be reborn into the image of Christ who is the image of the invisable God as a son of God.

Man can stand on the corner and hand out goodies all day long to fallen man and it changes nothing. We only help them to remain in thier life of misery IN comfort, nothing more. And we set ourselves up to be their god because they give us the glory for they know nothing of God even if they say they thank God. And they will be looking for you again tommorrow with your handouts never coming to the knoweledge of Truth.
God does not make those who reject Him and His Word to live in comfort and we should not give them False hope either, they are headed for destruction..

Stephen100

Dec 12, 2011
I disagree with your interpretation. It seems clear to me that Scripture is telling us to help the widows and orphans by caring for them. Of course, we should tell them about the gospel as well, but the Bible is referring to physical needs. This can easily be proven.

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
Stephen100 said:
I disagree with your interpretation. It seems clear to me that Scripture is telling us to help the widows and orphans by caring for them. Of course, we should tell them about the gospel as well, but the Bible is referring to physical needs. This can easily be proven.
Can you show me in scripture where the disciples went out into the ungodly world who rejected Christ and pay their way in life?
The unbeliever's are NOT our brother's and sisters, they are the spawn of the devil just as we were before coming to Christ making God our Father.
They are the Esau's the Ishmael's the Cain's who are led of their fleshly lusts and do evil and hate Jesus. Show me in scripture where God tells us to provide for the ungodly.
I am not talking about to help one in our path who is clearly in need of instant attention nor am I saying to go about being cruel and unkind to strangers. I am saying that spiritual food is the far greater thing you can give another human being and that is our commission... to take the gospel to the poor, diseased and hurting, lost who are living in darkness.
NOT physical needs to support their bad habits that keep them chained to Satan in sinful lives... once they come into the kingdom of God as a brother or sister who is learning how to be obedient to Christ, then yes we are to help them with the things that God has given us. But to take the things that God has given to us, to help support the devil work is spiritual fornication and spiritual adultery.
Know that we go out into the world, not to party with them, but to fish them out of the sea of darkness to bring them into the family of God.. that is our duty as fishers of men.

Notice that this is not talking about the ungodly, but those in the household of God.
1 Tim 5:1-16
5:1 Rebuke not an elder, but intreat him as a father; and the younger men as brethren;
2 The elder women as mothers; the younger as sisters, with all purity.
3 Honour widows that are widows indeed.
4 But if any widow have children or nephews, let them learn first to shew piety at home, and to requite their parents: for that is good and acceptable before God.
5 Now she that is a widow indeed, and desolate, trusteth in God, and continueth in supplications and prayers night and day.
6 But she that liveth in pleasure is dead while she liveth.

7 And these things give in charge, that they may be blameless.
8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.
9 Let not a widow be taken into the number under threescore years old, having been the wife of one man,
10 Well reported of for good works; if she have brought up children, if she have lodged strangers, if she have washed the saints' feet, if she have relieved the afflicted, if she have diligently followed every good work.
11 But the younger widows refuse: for when they have begun to wax wanton against Christ, they will marry;
12 Having damnation, because they have cast off their first faith.

13 And withal they learn to be idle, wandering about from house to house; and not only idle, but tattlers also and busybodies, speaking things which they ought not.
14 I will therefore that the younger women marry, bear children, guide the house, give none occasion to the adversary to speak reproachfully.
15 For some are already turned aside after Satan.
16 If any man or woman that believeth have widows, let them relieve them, and let not the church be charged; that it may relieve them that are widows indeed.
KJV

Stephen100

Dec 12, 2011
afaithfulone4u said:
Can you show me in scripture where the disciples went out into the ungodly world who rejected Christ and pay their way in life?
The unbeliever's are NOT our brother's and sisters, they are the spawn of the devil just as we were before coming to Christ making God our Father.
They are the Esau's the Ishmael's the Cain's who are led of their fleshly lusts and do evil and hate Jesus. Show me in scripture where God tells us to provide for the ungodly.
I am not talking about to help one in our path who is clearly in need of instant attention nor am I saying to go about being cruel and unkind to strangers. I am saying that spiritual food is the far greater thing you can give another human being and that is our commission... to take the gospel to the poor, diseased and hurting, lost who are living in darkness.
NOT physical needs to support their bad habits that keep them chained to Satan in sinful lives... once they come into the kingdom of God as a brother or sister who is learning how to be obedient to Christ, then yes we are to help them with the things that God has given us. But to take the things that God has given to us, to help support the devil work is spiritual fornication and spiritual adultery.
Know that we go out into the world, not to party with them, but to fish them out of the sea of darkness to bring them into the family of God.. that is our duty as fishers of men.

Notice that this is not talking about the ungodly, but those in the household of God.
1 Tim 5:1-16
5:1 Rebuke not an elder, but intreat him as a father; and the younger men as brethren;
2 The elder women as mothers; the younger as sisters, with all purity.
3 Honour widows that are widows indeed.
4 But if any widow have children or nephews, let them learn first to shew piety at home, and to requite their parents: for that is good and acceptable before God.
5 Now she that is a widow indeed, and desolate, trusteth in God, and continueth in supplications and prayers night and day.
6 But she that liveth in pleasure is dead while she liveth.

7 And these things give in charge, that they may be blameless.
8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.
9 Let not a widow be taken into the number under threescore years old, having been the wife of one man,
10 Well reported of for good works; if she have brought up children, if she have lodged strangers, if she have washed the saints' feet, if she have relieved the afflicted, if she have diligently followed every good work.
11 But the younger widows refuse: for when they have begun to wax wanton against Christ, they will marry;
12 Having damnation, because they have cast off their first faith.

13 And withal they learn to be idle, wandering about from house to house; and not only idle, but tattlers also and busybodies, speaking things which they ought not.
14 I will therefore that the younger women marry, bear children, guide the house, give none occasion to the adversary to speak reproachfully.
15 For some are already turned aside after Satan.
16 If any man or woman that believeth have widows, let them relieve them, and let not the church be charged; that it may relieve them that are widows indeed.
KJV
Well let me turn it around. Can you show me a Scripture that says we should not give to the poor orphans or widows who are unbelievers? Read this verse:

Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world (James 1:27).

James makes no distinction between believers and unbelievers. Also in Matthew 5:42 Jesus tells us to give to anyone who asks. And in Matthew 5:45 God makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.

I believe in doing both. We should preach the gospel to the poor, but we should help them out financially whenever we can. I'm not saying pay all their bills, I'm saying that if they were hungry or naked we should feed and clothe them.

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
Stephen100 said:
Well let me turn it around. Can you show me a Scripture that says we should not give to the poor orphans or widows who are unbelievers? Read this verse:

Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world (James 1:27).

James makes no distinction between believers and unbelievers. Also in Matthew 5:42 Jesus tells us to give to anyone who asks. And in Matthew 5:45 God makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.

I believe in doing both. We should preach the gospel to the poor, but we should help them out financially whenever we can. I'm not saying pay all their bills, I'm saying that if they were hungry or naked we should feed and clothe them.
We feed the lost with the Word of God. We do not go out and hunt down the poor to give them man's medical services, pay for their houses or for their needs or to support their bad habits.
The good Samaritan ran acrossed a man who was injured and need instant help. As a human being yes we would reach out and have mercy but you will notice they did not bring the man into their own house. We do have compassion on the lost but it is not out of a natural way.. it is out of the spiritual compassion knowing that this person is obviously not living right before God and is captive to sin keeping them in the gutter, the lower parts of the earth in hell. A sandwhich may help them for a moment but then what?
Is God seeking to buy souls or seeking them to come to Repentance for their sinful lifestyle? We must be kind to all who are put in our path, but when we go out into all the world we are to heal the sick by the Word of God, feed the hungry souls who are dying for the famine of the Word in their life, fill their vessels with the livng Water, Clothe them in the Word of God so they don't go before God naked and ashamed. Once they become a brother or a sister in Christ.. then we are to help them with material needs for they have turned to God's house to meet their needs.
James 2:15-17
15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
KJV

Who is our brother and sister? Jesus said you can tell like this:
Matt 12:47-50
47 Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.
48 But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?
49 And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.
KJV

Notice the wording in these verses:
Matt 25:32-26:1
32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

He is talking to all who give to the body of Christ their offerings, funds for the Word to go out and for spiritual & physical needs for the poor in the church who are his brothers

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.
KJV

Again, We are to go into all the world and preach the gospel give them the Bread of life, living water to drink in, clothe them with spiritual clothing by the Word of God. Free them from the prison of their minds that holds them captive to sin. He does not call them brother's but the least of these. That is showing the love of God to them for His Word/Christ is His Love, His Good Will Towards Man.

We hear of hoards of people in foreign countries walking miles even days to come to hear a man of God to speak... We think Wow, now that is Devotion. And in a few cases it may very well be, but for the most part they are coming just to reap of the goodies being passed out at the services, not to gain from the spiritual food that is being served.They miss out on the Blessings of God for the carnal things of life that holds them back from receiveing from God.

Jesus understood this and said:
John 6:26 Jesus answered them and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Ye seek me, not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled.
27 Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.
28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?
29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
30 They said therefore unto him, What sign shewest thou then, that we may see, and believe thee? what dost thou work?
31 Our fathers did eat manna in the desert; as it is written, He gave them bread from heaven to eat.
32 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven.
33 For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.
KJV

Stephen100

Dec 12, 2011
afaithfulone4u said:
We feed the lost with the Word of God. We do not go out and hunt down the poor to give them man's medical services, pay for their houses or for their needs or to support their bad habits.
The good Samaritan ran acrossed a man who was injured and need instant help. As a human being yes we would reach out and have mercy but you will notice they did not bring the man into their own house. We do have compassion on the lost but it is not out of a natural way.. it is out of the spiritual compassion knowing that this person is obviously not living right before God and is captive to sin keeping them in the gutter, the lower parts of the earth in hell. A sandwhich may help them for a moment but then what?
Is God seeking to buy souls or seeking them to come to Repentance for their sinful lifestyle? We must be kind to all who are put in our path, but when we go out into all the world we are to heal the sick by the Word of God, feed the hungry souls who are dying for the famine of the Word in their life, fill their vessels with the livng Water, Clothe them in the Word of God so they don't go before God naked and ashamed. Once they become a brother or a sister in Christ.. then we are to help them with material needs for they have turned to God's house to meet their needs.
James 2:15-17
15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
KJV

Who is our brother and sister? Jesus said you can tell like this:
Matt 12:47-50
47 Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.
48 But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?
49 And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.
KJV

Notice the wording in these verses:
Matt 25:32-26:1
32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

He is talking to all who give to the body of Christ their offerings, funds for the Word to go out and for spiritual & physical needs for the poor in the church who are his brothers

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.
KJV

Again, We are to go into all the world and preach the gospel give them the Bread of life, living water to drink in, clothe them with spiritual clothing by the Word of God. Free them from the prison of their minds that holds them captive to sin. He does not call them brother's but the least of these. That is showing the love of God to them for His Word/Christ is His Love, His Good Will Towards Man.

We hear of hoards of people in foreign countries walking miles even days to come to hear a man of God to speak... We think Wow, now that is Devotion. And in a few cases it may very well be, but for the most part they are coming just to reap of the goodies being passed out at the services, not to gain from the spiritual food that is being served.They miss out on the Blessings of God for the carnal things of life that holds them back from receiveing from God.

Jesus understood this and said:
John 6:26 Jesus answered them and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Ye seek me, not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled.
27 Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.
28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?
29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
30 They said therefore unto him, What sign shewest thou then, that we may see, and believe thee? what dost thou work?
31 Our fathers did eat manna in the desert; as it is written, He gave them bread from heaven to eat.
32 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven.
33 For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.
KJV
I couldn't disagree more. What you're basically saying is that if somebody is never going to believe in Jesus, we should turn our backs on them and allow them to be the victims of evil. I am currently trying to help orphans who are victims of the social services. Did you know that our governments are running pedophile rings and that most of their victims are from care homes? This is happening to thousands of children. Social services are having thousands of children removed from their homes under false pretenses. Many of these children are then tortured and raped behind closed doors. Even toddlers.

As a Christian I cannot ignore what is happening to these children. I must help them by exposing what our evil government is doing. Are you going to tell me to just turn a blind eye? It would be interesting to hear your opinion on that.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Stephen100 said:
You are correct in your understanding here Stephen...this verse relates the responsibility of the Church towards adherents who are widows and orphans and family members of a Church who have responsibilities of taking care of their own [widows or orphans in their family].